Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what games has everyone been playing lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I'm getting back into killing floor because of the footage I saw of the new one. Looks so good

oh i didnt even realise there was a new one coming, what platforms?

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did y'all play the original Shadowgate? I picked up the remake and it's real good.

i didnt, it looks cool but i think i would just get frustrated with it. they should go on and make a new one off this though and update mechanics a bit, that would be v cool

Widestancer posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Far Cry 4 and have revisited Megaman 4 on my 3ds.

farcry is good, i like the rotercopter thing and accidentally falling out of it. i dont have my 3ds anymore, i sold it for a vita because i really wanted a bunch of the vita games. going to eventually pick up a new 3ds though. have you played persona q on it?

i am currently playing a mix of farcry 4, gta 5, destiny, the new cod and persona 3 portable. p3p is good but it just makes me want to play p4g again.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

PC and PS4 I think!

hmmm i might leave it for a few months and see what happens, asi could see it being a future ps+ game in that case.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

going to crosspost this as i think this is something this thread would enjoy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

GBS crosspost :whitewater:

That samus is really cute though.

yeah but gbs sometimes comes out with gems. here are some of my fav game ones

the samus one is really good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I've played through Super Metroid probably 50 times. The other 2D games don't compare imo. I really love Metroid Prime 2: Echoes though.

i still play through super metroid once or twice a year. when i cant think of anything else to play it always ends up as either super metroid or the first dark souls.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy and played through the first game and while it was a lot of fun I got frustrated toward the end. Having to fight the same space pirates over and over was kind of annoying. Now I'm afraid to play MP2 because people say it's a lot more combat focused. But I will probably still try it eventually.

yeah i feel the primes are aging quicker than the 2d games, and i think thats just a symptom of 3d games in general. i personally really really prefer the 2d metroids over them and i wish nintendo would do a 2.5d one for 3ds or something. i never got why they made that hunters game for the old ds :(

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't normally replay games, but the two I always go back to every year or two are Yoshi's Island on the SNES and Half-Life 1.

its fun seeing other peoples replay games, cos most people seem to have 1 or 2 titles they consistently go back to

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i am buying a wii u next week. I never had a wii. besides the mario galaxy games, what wii titles should i look out for? I already have donkey kong country returns on 3ds and okami on ps3.

twilight princess

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

with the losing her powers thing its just a peculiarity with the genre. if you didnt start with nothing then half the game just wouldnt exist so they just have to make up any reason for it to happen in order to serve the gameplay.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best zelda is links awakening

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

want that drat bow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i miss genesis/mega drive music

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yes!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

road rash man

http://youtu.be/OdhrDE5L7ds?t=44m32s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Deus Ex multiplayer is something we should attempt someday.

oh my god i remember playing that so loving much. such a weird mode but it worked so well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

got gifted a steam copy a few weeks back too so hell yeah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

That goes for other people; if you have like steam level 1 or 0 and only one game let me know on here that you added me so I don't think you're some weird spambot.

I've been getting a lot of those lately, anyone else?

i will when im next on, been mainly console gaming lately tho so

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PvZ garden warfare is wonderful.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

persona

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Pyschonauts is only 1.99 on steam right now :wth:

I was v annoyed when Tim shafer announced a dott rerelease instead of a psychonauts sequel/remake/rerelease

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Yeah the gently caress was that?

I heard someone shout psychonauts in the audienceand got rly excited and was like omg and then nope :smith:

axleblaze posted:

dott is really good though.

yeah it's cool and im not straight up disappointed but given the choice id take psychonauts for sure

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

2fort is perfect level design

facing worlds

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

I've got some serious RTS-lust right now... need some help

It's like a switch went off in my brain and I have this uncontrollable urge to play WC3, but I can't find my CDs

total annihilation is the best RTS ever made well anyway bye

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i am really very angry and upset that despite demon souls and dark souls 2 being available digitally on ps3, dark souls 1 isn't.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i'd give the megami some tensei if you know what i am saying and i am most certain you do

i beat nocturne secret end boss without whatever that skill was called and it took about 3 hours + on auto fight lmao

Static Rook posted:

I've never played Dark Souls and only played a little of Demon Souls. I have the plat for Dark Souls 2 though. I like baby games for babies.

I picked up one of the 500GB super slim PS3s from a guy at work and couldn't figure out how to open the disc tray for like 5 minutes. I'm an old man and these space age kajiggers frighten me.

i got one of those for xmas last year and until about 2 months ago i had been opening the tray by physically sliding it open

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I half remember seeing that true ending on youtube at one point, going "that is loving boss" and trying nocturne for myself

then got frustrated and quit on the second boss :saddowns:

you should play it again its really really good. if you arent used to SMT games though i could see it being really hard, in which case play persona 3/4 first to ease into the series.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think the new wolfenstein is overrated, as is shadow of mordor. well anyway cya

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

It's easy as poo poo, even easier than Batman. If you're half competent at video games the Nemesis system turns into a parade of Orcs that didn't get beheaded, much like a bowl full of turds that didn't flush.

The only difficult sections are the forced stealth which is still a thing. I remember Shadow of Rome had these awesome arena battles with much more satisfying combat than Mordor, it also had lovely stealth sections though.

yeah basically, my experience of the nemesis system was a bunch of poo poo captains constantly as they all died everytime i met them. every now and again one would get me and id go right back and decapitate them :shrug:

Real hurthling! posted:

new wolfenstein is gamings ambrosia

its average

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the SoM devotees claim you aren't playing the game right unless you constantly die to the same guy to make him a worthy opponent but uh gently caress that. balance your difficulty better devs.

also

idk stux its p. sweet how far did you get what was your favorite weapon?

not very far at all really, i played a mix of stealth with the silenced pistol and moved to the auto shotgun and AR for going loud. i got the cutting tool and a bit past that before i got bored with it

and yeah i didn't know that it was all about constantly dying to them. i thought it was going to be like when you beat them they just get gravely injured and recover and come back stronger later on and become badass throughout the course of the game. because i was killing them constantly when they tried to run etc i just kept getting weaker and weaker captains and it just turned into an average batman clone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm terrible at fighting games and platinum games and have to play them on easy to get through them. i don't really like/get the gameplay in them but the insane plots and action scenes keep me playing.

the cutting tool gets ditched for the lasercraftwerk that you keep updating until its amazing. the ar gets a missile launcher attachment that you can dual wield, you murder an entire u boat crew, fly to the moon for an awesome moonraker parody mission, ride a giant mech on a rampage through a nazi prison, etc. plus the perk system is sweet.

yeah som is great fun but unless you are going to ocd over breeding the ultimate orcs to get the best rune drops (which are totally worthless because you're already too powerful) it doesn't have the staying power i thought it would.

that sounds great and all but the shooting just didn't gel with me and i found it just a bit dull. having ridiculous guns doesn't mean it still wouldn't have been dull for me sorry :(

euphronius posted:

I've never owned a console since ps2 so getting used to the gamepad and camera was really a lot

I was actually going strong in ds2 actually and then there was a loving jumping puzzle or something and gently caress that.

if you think you have to do a jumping puzzle in a dark souls game you're probably missing something a lot easier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls is good but the 'git good scrub' stuff is pretty obnoxious. There are plenty of obnoxious, stupid things that no amount of prep can really prepare you for. Like those assholes with the blowpipes in Blighttown. If you don't know about them, you will die, and you will probably not figure out why for quite some time.

yeah they kinda forget that although the challenges are fair as in, you have a reasonable chance of surviving each individual event first time and they are all about knowing what to do, the first time especially in your first souls game you will die a lot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls has a lot of really good "Well, I should have expected that, I guess that was entirely my fault" stuff like with the Taurus Demon. Most people will have the bright idea of climbing up and throwing stuff down at it, which works for a bit, then it will loving jump up and house you. It also has a ton of bullshit like the Capra Demon where you're likely to get murdered or stunlocked within seconds of entering the fog because there's no buffer at all, and even when you know what to do it will still give you problems because of the unpredictable nature of things.

the archers in anor londo are the biggest example until you work out you can just push the dickhead off the side

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ekster posted:

best part of dark souls multiplayer is that people can only communicate through gestures

it's actually fun to play with strangers!

yeah it really is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

assassin's creed unity is so disappointing. rented it and wow

a) multiplayer is garbage, how you gonna coordinate that poo poo
b) the running and such that worked perfectly in 2 and got ruined in 3 has been ruined even further

otherwise there's lots of cool set pieces and as a whole i like arno cause he is a garbage rear end in a top hat with a vendetta. this game is deffo not for everyone.

apparently rogue is better than unity as it isnt based off the new even more hosed engine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool that games like Assassin's Creed with really good graphics and high production values exist, but after 10 hours of any given AC game you kind of get your fill of everything it has to offer and that's about all you're gonna get for the next 30-40 it takes to finish the main storyline. The gameplay is definitely in need of a revamp RE4 revolution style.

its funny that you are saying unity has high production values

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Both were unfun slogs but each had that spark that tipped me over the edge. For Other M it was first a part where I had to find a tiny spot in a bush to progress the game further and the final straw was a boss fight that required me to shoot it with a missile (not an easy task to remember in Other M). I fought that thing for like thirty minutes until I slammed my controller down and shattered it. When I saw a strategy video hit it once with a missile and watch it run away I gave up.

GTA V was a glitchly mess and reminded me how much I hated the GTA series.

GTA V is glitchy? I've beaten that game like twice on 360 and I'm currently going through it on ps4 and haven't had a single issue that i can remember? Certainly not even close to enough to make me quit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

I had the most next-gen gaming experience last night at a get together at my brother's place. Hooked up my Playstation TV, remoted into my PS4 at my place, and everyone whipped out their smartphones so we could play the Jackbox Party Pack. :pcgaming:

hadn't really thought of being able to do that, but i guess as long as you have a good connection you can just take your PSTV about instead of the full ps4 console if you want to use it at others houses. thats pretty awesome!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

To be fair, I was moving between apartments at the time so there might have been a glitch-up with an auto-save or something but regardless, by the time I finished the torture sequence for the third time I had no desire to continue playing as the three dirtbags.

hi, you can just shoot the bearded guy in the red shirt straight away the first time you get to look through the sniper rifle and skip half the mission well anyway bye.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Save yourself some heartache and play New Vegas instead.

Even if you've never played the original Fallouts, Fallout 3 is incredibly disappointing. If you have played the originals then it just gets worse as Bethesda took a big steaming crap over everything.

New Vegas, on the other hand, is a huge labour of love and everything about it is so drat well done.

Kewpuh posted:

okay i just bought new vegas and it is downloading

3 is better than new vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

megaton for life gently caress your bourgeoise vegas ivory tower

• Locked thread