Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

widestancer do you look like samus irl

this is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao Path of Exile is a good game and definitely not a MMORPG for the simple fact it has actual gameplay and it resets its economy every 3 months now, sorry

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

alien isolation is really good and my personal GOTY, if you like stealth/horror games buy it the next time it's on sale

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

I've always been ashamed I don't really enjoy the dark souls games.

I love them to bits but it's definitely not a game for everyone so I think this is only normal. And I don't mean that in the condescending "bet it was too hard for you :smuggo:" way.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

best part of dark souls multiplayer is that people can only communicate through gestures

it's actually fun to play with strangers!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I have legit had some rage issues with games ever since playing the first Trauma Center. I got as far as the final epilogue level with the dual spider viruses, but after two weeks of attempts that level broke something in me, and I almost broke my DS in response. Now I can actually Get Mad At Videogames despite myself but it helps a lot if I don't have access to voice chat. Basically, gently caress Trauma Center with a length of rusty barbed wire.

re: Recording stuff, I use Open Broadcaster Software; it can stream to livestream or twitch, record locally, or use a recording buffer which is my new favourite.

I've also gotten a good ways into Alien Isolation and I'll admit it looks snazzy, it's well optimized, but it gets off to a slooooow start and even once it's in full swing, every time it's almost completed the feeling of immersion it trips and faceplants itself. examples:

1. Alien's AI stops responding. It just stands silent and motionless... directly outside of the dead-end room I'm hiding in. Upon seeing me, it of course springs to life and eats me.
2. "Lean back and hold your breath" QTE in the lockers result in me getting eaten 3 out of 5 times anyway, after the alien has turned around and started to wander elsewhere. It just suddenly teleports back and tears the door off as soon as I breathe.
3. Alien always looks when I'm hiding under a table. Always. Doesn't matter if it was 3 rooms away at the time, still knows exactly where I am. Why are you even allowed to hide under tables.
3. Hide in locker. Alien passes by locker, leaves. Exit locker. Alien sprints back towards the room. Hide in locker. Alien passes by locker, leaves. Exit locker. Alien sprints back towards the room. Hide in locker...
4. Two full levels where the hostile human AI bugged out and stood motionless, barking their usual idle lines. Did not react even to seeing me. Multiple obvious cues where the Alien should probably have spawned, but it was completely absent for those two levels.

I'm barely up to where you get the flamethrower and I'm just so tired of it. My only reprieve from the wallhacking, godmoding, teleporting AI is when it just up and utterly breaks.

What difficulty are you playing? I only noticed 2 minor bugs while playing the game and none of them had to do with the Alien so I don't know what happened there. Note that if it can't find you but knows you are there somewhere he'll sometimes 'sniff' the air but that's a clear animation. The AI 'learns' your habit so if you've been hiding under tables a lot he'll start looking there first thing. A pro active stealth strategy works a lot better than cowering in lockers, use your flares and noisemakers if he won't leave and keep moving if possible.

Don't get me wrong, it's fairly hard as far as games go, but I think the game was very fair to me on normal difficulty at least.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hog Inspector posted:

not really the next big thing so much as a continuing trend but i expect way more videogames attempting to tackle themes that far exceed their staffs' writing abilities

I doubt anything is going to eclipse MGS V for a while when it comes out in that department.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I dunno you get kind of jaded when you buy 60 bucks triple A super star title that gets hyped to hell by dewrito journalism and turns out to be a massive disappointment. On the other hand I played Alien: Isolation recently that had pretty much everything against it and it was easily my GOTY. People who complain that games are somehow worse than in the past are full of poo poo, always.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

How is the HotS community? I really enjoyed Dota 2 on a strictly gameplay level but I've never seen a community that toxic in a multiplayer videogame before, and I have fairly thick skin. None of my friends play MOBAs otherwise I would just play with them. I played it for quite a while until I started noticing I got increasingly irritated over a dumb videogame I play for my supposed enjoyment.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the replies on HotS goons, guess I'll just try it out once I have the time.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I finished ME3 earlier this year and I liked it overall. I already knew the ending was going to be disappointing, but the extended cut made it mediocre rather than atrocious. When I finished and looked at the original ending on youtube I could understand why people would be mad after spending 60 bucks pre-ordering when it got released. I never took the ME series' storyline very seriously, the whole series was just good dumb fun for me. I think the thing I disliked the most about ME3, other than Kai Leng blahblahblah, was that the renegade options consisted mostly of screwing over close friends for no real reason. As if a renegade character would ever betray Wrex for the help of some wimpy rear end alien species.

Anyway ME3 had Citadel so it was worth it to me for that DLC alone.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ME dating is worse than the most shameless harem anime.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

hmm yes they are very progressive *stares at miranda's rear end all game*

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

my gender is playersexual

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

ME is an intro harem visual novel.

if you can handle that you can handle them all

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

"hey tough soldier chick you did good today"

*tee-hee shepard-senpai noticed me~*

"hey blue alien chick I saw you nearly faint are you all right?"

"I have lived over a 100 years as a sheltered neckbeard but NEVER have I met a guy as dreamy as you"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bioware isn't afraid to tackle serious social issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSAYat4Hyg

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao at people not doing the loyalty missions and wondering why their party members are dropping like flies during the suicide mission even though the game heavily hints that Yes, You Should Really Fix My Issues

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

you have a literal sentient robot and the space gypsy whiz kid on your team why wouldn't you send one of them in the vents :psyduck:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

meaningful gameplay choices = good

meaningful story choices = bad, cause it usually sucks away development time and railroads you to a samey conclusion with minor deviations cause it's impossible to make a game like that any other way unless you make it super generic like a bethesda game

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, I agree Alpha Protocol probably did the best job out of any game I personally know when it comes to a reactive story. I also agree that TWD season 1 does a good job creating an illusion of choice, however if you do any research or play through the game a second time you kind of feel cheated in a way when you realize your influence isn't as great as you initially thought. This is ofcourse unavoidable in most if not all games that attempt this.

Strangely enough, I feel Heavy Rain handled this specific part quite well, where the protagonists can indeed die with genuine consequences to the story. It also added a lot of tension to dangerous scenes in a natural way. Unfortunately, David Cage is an amazingly bad writer that makes Hideo Kojima look like an expert in subtle and brief storytelling in comparison.

That being said I think this approach greatly limits a game in many ways that ultimately bring it down for reasons already discussed.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I bet he bookmarked the archeage, xbox one and star citizen thread.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Some game devs look jealously at their movie director cousins and want to be just as 'culturally relevant' as them, instead of just making really good games because games aren't movies and are great on their own if done properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

AAA studios suck.

However, indie devs also suck.

Both sometimes make good games.

• Locked thread