Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's been suggested that maybe Games should have a chat thread. I'm not sure if I agree with that but people should have the chance to express themselves and the worst thing that will probably happen is that this thread ends up getting gassed.

Talk about games, gaming, all that other stuff here. Hell, set up an improptu gaming sesh. Share some screenshots. Whatever.

:havlat: Don't talk about or post stupid poo poo that you know will get you banned or probated. You should know what that that is by now.:havlat:

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm Widestancer AMA

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

what games has everyone been playing lately

I've been playing a bunch of Far Cry 4 and have revisited Megaman 4 on my 3ds.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:frogsiren: WHO'S THAT POKEMON :frogsiren:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

going to crosspost this as i think this is something this thread would enjoy

GBS crosspost :whitewater:

That samus is really cute though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Hey Widestancer, what's your favorite Metroid game?

I'm partial to Super Metroid because that's the one I've played the most but I also really enjoy Zero Mission and Fusion. I need to spend more time with the Prime series as a whole; I always end up going to the 2d games with romhacks (like the one for Super Metroid that fixes the wonky aiming and stuff) and I need to quit that and go through all the primes again.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really did enjoy Metroid II as well; I found it to be way better than the first one even if young me was extremely frustrated by how much harder it was sometimes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

alcharagia posted:

It's Corsola!

Eonwe posted:

Clearly jynx

uh wow guys that's Officer Jenny home after a tough night of fighting crime and stuff A for effort though

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ekster posted:

widestancer do you look like samus irl

this is important

My eyes are too slanty and my skin tone is a little bit too copperish also I don't have blonde hair. So I guess if I wore a wig or dyed my hair I could do anime samus or something weird like that.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Officer Jenny is not a Pokemon, she is multiple human people, there is a difference. :colbert:

I'm guessing that there is a fanfic somewhere out there that would refute your assertion here but I value my brain cells too much to look for one. :negative:

Stux posted:

the samus one is really good

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I didn't realize that Yoshi's Island used the FX chip until recently. That game had a neat art style and I remember abusing the mini game rewards to basically never die and own everything.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you have buddies to play with WarioWare: Smooth Moves is fun as hell.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Hi I'm videogames and i love everyone

Did you ever finish that smb3 romhack you were working on?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Adding to OP

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shovel Knight is fair game then for all of you to rip on :twisted:

don't that game rules too

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Check out this controversial opinion from an admin

Cowcaster posted:

the original legend of zelda and majora's mask were the only two good zelda games. just putting that out there op.

maybe link to the past.

Cowcaster did you ever play a link between world's I feel like you might enjoy it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Its not finished BUT if you do have me on steam and you are using the beta client, you'll occasionally see it pop up with VλdeoGames is now playing SuperMarioBrothers 4.

that is me making the game and broadcasting it via steam :>

gently caress yes!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Super Mario RPG is the only good game with Samus in it.

Well, Prime 1 was cool too.

:siren: Whoah :siren:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Deus Ex multiplayer is something we should attempt someday.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

got gifted a steam copy a few weeks back too so hell yeah

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

That goes for other people; if you have like steam level 1 or 0 and only one game let me know on here that you added me so I don't think you're some weird spambot.

I've been getting a lot of those lately, anyone else?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Contest Winner posted:

Realtalk this is the real choice if no one has any strong opinions, and it's mostly because I shamefully have never played it past the first level.

The first level turns a lot of people off for various reasons.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's telling that IW only has one texture mod worth using (and it's a decent one) and basically nothing else while Deus ex has a bazillion mods out there.

I only use the giant texture mod everyone does when I play it (with the fix that makes the UI not explode) but I hear there are some decent ones that change other stuff.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Kins posted:

No official mod tools got released. Thief 3 got some, not sure what came of those, but DX2 never got any and nobody wants to go spelunking through file formats to any major extent and do things the hard way. Can you blame them?

Hell no. It had some neat concepts with it and I do think that if you can get it for like 5 bucks it's worth a play through. I'm glad that HR took more from the first game and less from the second though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'll push for a pardon based on their love of video games with a sentence of 1 day in the stocks playing uh

Puzzle pirates with crazy people

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kylra posted:

That doesn't sound like a punishment because puzzle pirates owns.

Yeah it does I secretly don't want anything bad to happen to them

Also I got to say the words tiny pee pee today so I'm happy and in a good mood.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pyschonauts is only 1.99 on steam right now :wth:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

I was v annoyed when Tim shafer announced a dott rerelease instead of a psychonauts sequel/remake/rerelease

Yeah the gently caress was that?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Guys the rules thread is gone but I have us covered

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687280

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pablo Gigante posted:

So changing the subject I'm thinking about getting a Wii U for Christmas. Great choice or greatest choice

It's a good idea. The Wii U is fun.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pablo Gigante posted:

Super Mario 3D World, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, these are all games I wanna play and I wanna play em NOW

Those are all pretty solid choices especially if you have people to play local multiplayer with.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Star Fox 2 is pretty good when you apply the patch that removes the dev stuff.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shindragon posted:

I hope Cali goons like myself don't get hit too hard by the flood. Granted where I live in Cali, flood shouldn't reach here but yeah stay safe Cali goons.

Might be a good time to whip out the handhelds in case the flood causes power outages. :v:

Fight the flood

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

mfcrocker posted:

Doing a 24-hour charity stream this weekend with a bunch of mates :dance:

Gaming in the spirit of the season is a good thing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

What's wrong with FC4? I hear Unity has had its problems but Far Cry 4 impressions seem to be "more of the same, but better" and for people who like that kind of game I guess that's okay for them.

If you are running anything in SLI or have a dual core processor (which you probably shouldn't if you're buying these games anyhow) the game shits itself horribly. Other than that I've noticed stuttering that got much better for me after the 1.5 patch. However, the same patch introduced a memory leak that ubi has at least recognized and stated that they're working on.

FC4 and AC:U are worlds apart in terms of quality; Ubi has a long way to go with it (1 save slot? dumb.) but comparing the two is kinda eh.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ddraig posted:

I'm soured to Far Cry 4 because it's a game in TYOOL 2014 that doesn't recognize USB devices to the point where I had to get a PS/2 keyboard off a family member as my USB keyboard would not work with the game at all.

The plot is half-assed to the point where it seems like they didn't recognize any of the issues in Far Cry 3 for what they were and just assumed the only problem with it was that Jason Brody was white, which is at the core of the problem but doesn't excuse all the other poo poo. So they've made Ajay a token native and conveniently manage to cover up most of his arm (the only part you see of him) with a tracksuit and leather gloves, just incase people buy it and accidentally see some brown skin.

That aside, they also seem to completely latch on to the most stupid poo poo imaginable to improve while the real things they should focus on seem to be on the periphery. Stealth is poo poo and broken. People complain that the stealth in Far Cry 2 is broken in one way, the stealth in FC4 is broken in the opposite. You can kill a guy with a gunshot to the skull and people will just look around a bit and decide "Maybe it was the gun-shooting bird of Kyrat" and not do anything. No alarms, no nothing.

The guns could be great, but they've decided the best way to 'balance' them is to make the cool guns all signature and severely limit the options for customization on every other gun. So you can't build a cool silenced rifle unless it's of a certain type, or if you buy the signature version, which may have crap on it you don't want.

Only the plus side they now have more animals! This an amazing thing, for sure, as now instead of shooting the lock off a cage to take over an outpost and having a tiger or a cassowary, you can now have a ton of extra model swaps!

It also has actual loving Cliff Racers, but even more annoying, yet this is somehow a good thing.

lol

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes and no.

Tactics Advance is an okay game until you realize that it's a completely and utterly broken mess. There's a beautiful Let's Play of it featuring all of the many ways to break the game over your knee if you're interested: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Advance/

A2 is a lot better and more complete of a game, but still not as good as the original Tactics. I recommend playing it, there's no need to play the first one beforehand as there's little to no relevant story connection.

I enjoy games that can be broken horribly like that but I can see why some people might not.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Someone convince me not to be excited for GTA V coming out for the PC please.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Saint's Row exists.

That just adds to my excitement because it's an arguably better game in the same loose genre and variety for me is the spice of life.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Why would you buy it again?

I never bought it the first time, it was a very nice gift from someone.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Trevor seems to enjoy himself a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Michael's story starts with a big downward spiral, but it's still not Niko-level depressing.

I like how he redeems himself in some hosed up ways; I found it to be more of a net positive than IV's story as well.

• Locked thread