Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Stux posted:

what games has everyone been playing lately

Did y'all play the original Shadowgate? I picked up the remake and it's real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Stux posted:

going to crosspost this as i think this is something this thread would enjoy

Makes me wish tall avs were still a thing.

Widestancer posted:

I'm partial to Super Metroid because that's the one I've played the most but I also really enjoy Zero Mission and Fusion. I need to spend more time with the Prime series as a whole; I always end up going to the 2d games with romhacks (like the one for Super Metroid that fixes the wonky aiming and stuff) and I need to quit that and go through all the primes again.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really did enjoy Metroid II as well; I found it to be way better than the first one even if young me was extremely frustrated by how much harder it was sometimes.

Do most people not enjoy Metroid II? It's incredible as a minimalist horror take on the Metroid formula. All that open space and bizarre architecture seen through the tiny monochrome screen of the oldschool GameBoy is such a unique experience. And the evolved Metroids are terrifying the way they scream and lunge. Game owns.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Stux posted:

i still play through super metroid once or twice a year. when i cant think of anything else to play it always ends up as either super metroid or the first dark souls.

I don't normally replay games, but the two I always go back to every year or two are Yoshi's Island on the SNES and Half-Life 1.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Deus Ex multiplayer is something we should attempt someday.

I would be so down for this it isn't even funny.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Contest Winner posted:

Yo idiots tell me here too what game you want me to pick for that game of the month thread idea for December, otherwise I am just going to pick EYE Divine Cybermancy and you will have to spend the holidays being hacked by ATM machines and eaten by werewolves.

Also I guess feel free to add me on Steam because I like to see what games people are playing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

I change my display name often though so if that bugs you sorry.

I suggest the original Deus Ex.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You're also not very well-equipped for a straight fight from the start, but the long sight lines around the statue base and unfamiliarity with the stealth system lead to unwanted fights and frustrating deaths. It's a great level, but a really bad one to teach players the game with.

I don't think that would be too much of an issue with an entire thread going through it at once, though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

loving Firefall is so frustrating. The game feels amazing, with jetting around and blasting things and there's weight to your movements and nice little audio cues of your armor shifting and your gear clattering together. The world is bright and interesting and it looks like there's tons of places to go.

And all you do is grind the same boring missions for XP.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Archer666 posted:

So Nippon Ichi Software is apparently going to go out of business if Disgaea 5 doesn't sell 150k copies. Considering D5 comes out the same day as Bloodborne, it seems inevitable. As somebody who has a strong dislike of otaku bullshit pandering video games like they've been popping out, this is good news.

Holy poo poo they're all the way up to Disgaea FIVE? I played their first three games, Disgaea, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave, and then forgot all about them. I liked their gonzo take on tactics games but they never gripped me enough to finish any of them or really get into the grinds.

What, um, what kind of "otaku bullshit pandering" have they gotten up to?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

My favorite zelda game is oracle of seasons because it had the Subrosians

I was always sad I never picked up Oracle of Seasons/Ages. They feel like the only Zelda games no one ever talks about.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Maybe they could list time-to-crate as well.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hey speaking of cool games I tried a demo for a squad-based tactics game called Deadnaut last night and it's pretty rad and creepy. The demo is over here and the game is $9 on Steam right now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Falsum posted:

Dustforce is really good and it has a lot of content. Super Meat Boy and Dustforce are the benchmark for indie platformers IMO.

Is it weird if I love Super Meat Boy and hate Dustforce? Everything felt so tight and responsive in SMB, like I could go anywhere and do anything. Dustforce feels clunky and constrained, like I'm on a track and I just have to push the right buttons at the right time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hunters was actually pretty good until they started recycling bosses and doubling the number of hits it took to beat them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

WEI SHEN MOTHERFUCKER

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Looking for recommendations for objectively-good singleplayer games on PC. Ones on par with System Shock 2, Psychonauts, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Half-Life, Hitman Blood Money, Alpha Protocol, Metro etc.

I would put Dishonored up against any of those.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Ddraig posted:

FEAR owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coFLF3itB5A

To this day there probably hasn't been a better implemented FPS AI system.

Agreed so hard. Also holds the Lifetime Achievement Award for Best Shotgun.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I think you get a lot of poo poo about criticizing Far Cry 4 because you post like it killed your dog or something.

Ddraig posted:

Only the plus side they now have more animals! This an amazing thing, for sure, as now instead of shooting the lock off a cage to take over an outpost and having a tiger or a cassowary, you can now have a ton of extra model swaps!

It also has actual loving Cliff Racers, but even more annoying, yet this is somehow a good thing.

I mean, if you don't like it that's cool, but poo poo like this makes you sound like a dick.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

Pisses me off that Ubi said no Blood Dragon sequel. It was a fun five hours.

quote:

"That's was what was cool about [Blood Dragon], it was surprising. It was a great use of the Far Cry 3 base, and had an awesome soundtrack. But no, you won't get another one of those. But hopefully we'll be able to surprise you with something just as much."

From here. Honestly I kinda like that better. Instead of beating the joke into the ground they want to try other stuff and try to make it just as good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I know that, I mean did they test the original ending with focus groups? The vanilla ending made it into release, whereas some movies had their ending changed before release due to test groups going :wtc:

Story is the absolute last priority in 95% of all game development, and they're almost always developed in chronological order (early areas first, endgame last). So if your game is rushed, the ending is going to suffer the most.

Valve is the only company that does any kind of serious focus testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

That makes sense. Must suck to be in game development, or at least far less awesome than it seems.

The hardest part is managing disappointment. No game ever turns out the way the developer wanted. If you can ever get a look at the briefs that studios pitch to publishers, the final products barely resemble them at all.

• Locked thread