Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
]

ABOUT VAINGLORY
VAINGLORY IS THE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE BATTLE ARENA (MOBA) PERFECTED FOR TOUCH
Outplay real opponents in this deep, uncompromising real-time MOBA. Fight with lightning-fast controls using powerful heroes. Destroy the enemy Vain crystal and claim glory! Watch the preview video now to see real gameplay of 3-vs-3 multiplayer battles.

Vainglory came out a couple of weeks ago and has been making waves as the first MOBA/Dota clone playable on iPhone. There have been a few attempts at mobile games of this genre before. This one is worth your time.

Official Website for Vainglory
The Roster of Heroes
Vaingloryfire: Build guides and some kind of Wiki.
Live Twitch Streams

The Map

One of the most interesting things about Vainglory is the map design, there's only a single lane, and a huge jungle. The jungle enemies can give you both hp/mp regen along with gold and experience. At each end of the lane are the crystals. This is what you destroy to win the game

The Gold Mine

The Gold Mine will accumulate with gold until the miner is killed, at which time the mine will pay out whatever gold has been gathered to the capturing team. This is a capture-and-hold point just like the Minion Mines. If you maintain control of the Gold Mine, it will pay out gold to your entire team at regular intervals.

Something crazy happens to the Gold Mine once a game has been going for more than 15 minutes. :siren: It's pretty exciting. :siren:

The Heroes

There are only 11 Heroes right now! That's right. If you start playing you are basically ground floor on this game. If it makes it big you can feel good about yourself for investing your time in it. Is that a normal feeling to have? In any case there is one brand new hero: Skaarf. All the other heroes are just sort of new. There's a free hero rotation like LoL and you can earn an ingame currency to buy them forever. Or you can pay money.

Should I play?
Yeah! You can play if you have any iPad newer than (or including) the iPad 2, any iphone greater than or equal to the iPhone 5, or any iPod past fifth generation.

My username ingame is Ganty so add me if you want to. I am on the EU servers. Or whatever man. You don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
I'm serious, this game is pretty swell.

Koshka is a good character. I'm saving up for Skaarf though.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I just played a game of this last night. Not too bad, definitely helps only having one lane since its a bit trickier to control. Are there any guides to weapon builds or strategy yet?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
What is the business model for this game?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Liquid Penguins posted:

What is the business model for this game?

Same as pretty much every MOBA; play a weekly rotation of heroes for free, accumulate currency (Glory), pay either soft or hard currency to unlock heroes permanently. No skins yet, but that's really just a matter of time.

You accumulate Karma by actually staying till the end, you lose it for leaving early (you get one free leave every couple of days or so, to account for bad connections and such); having high Karma means you'll be matched with other high Karma players and also gives you a percentage bonus to your Glory gains.

It's super good. I really enjoy the controls. It works surprisingly well on an iPhone 6 and I frequently have trouble believing that I'm seeing graphics this good on a phone.

I unlocked Petal because I'm a support-y player, she's really good, but I fell in love with Adagio this past free rotation and am saving up my Glory for him next.

Apocron posted:

I just played a game of this last night. Not too bad, definitely helps only having one lane since its a bit trickier to control. Are there any guides to weapon builds or strategy yet?

There are links ingame for Vaingloryfire which isn't the worst thing, but mobafire was always laughed at in LoL circles so I'm curious if there's a better one.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

I unlocked Petal because I'm a support-y player, she's really good, but I fell in love with Adagio this past free rotation and am saving up my Glory for him next.

Same, I usually like those kind of characters in this type of game and I've been using Adagio a lot. I've had most success with Koshka though. I think because she has a lot of burst DPS and there are a lot of people new to this game who you can often find in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Krul though, I am constantly being destroyed by Krul players and yet feed relentlessly whenever I play him. I'm not sure what to do.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hmmm, it's hard to choose a hero to buy. I like saw but I worry since he doesn't have a skill shot he'll get boring.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hello thread. I'm Dulkor. I'm currently addicted to playing Joule. How're all of you?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Dulkor posted:

Hello thread. I'm Dulkor. I'm currently addicted to playing Joule. How're all of you?

Well. I played earlier today but every so often i get crazy low fps on my ipad 2 and I have to close and reopen the app to fix it. It's a shame. My poor iPad...

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
This game is good but most of the player base sucks.

But also I love getting the Kraken to push the lane.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

n4 posted:

This game is good but most of the player base sucks.

But also I love getting the Kraken to push the lane.

The best thing about this game is that you can't communicate with the playerbase to see that they suck.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Ganty posted:

The best thing about this game is that you can't communicate with the playerbase to see that they suck.

Oh I meant they suck in terms of skill. Lots of clueless players who've never played MOBAs.

Maybe I need to play more to move up a bit in matchmaking but every game I've played I don't have to do much because the other team throws from the start.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

n4 posted:

Oh I meant they suck in terms of skill. Lots of clueless players who've never played MOBAs.

Maybe I need to play more to move up a bit in matchmaking but every game I've played I don't have to do much because the other team throws from the start.

What's your skill tier (you can see it in your account)?

"Not Bad" and "Decent-ish" are the bottom two. I've gotten up to "Pretty Good" (third tier) once but then I had an awful run of five games. I think "Totally Awesome" is the top, but I don't remember what the fourth one is.

Eventually you also stop having as many AFKs because the karma system actually does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

"Not Bad" and "Decent-ish" are the bottom two. I've gotten up to "Pretty Good" (third tier) once but then I had an awful run of five games. I think "Totally Awesome" is the top, but I don't remember what the fourth one is.

I think it's "The Hotness" next.

It goes:
  1. Not Bad
  2. Decent-ish
  3. Pretty Good
  4. The Hotness
  5. Simply Amazing
  6. Pinnacle of Awesome

I might have some of those wrong. It might be "Rather Amazing"?

• Locked thread