Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

seiferguy posted:

Is Bayonetta's strong "don't need no BS" attitude a good feminist model to aspire to, or is the fact that she literally strips her clothes to kill enemies another tip towards degrading women?

These are the things that keep me up at night.

I used to think her insane degree of sexualization was purely satirical and therefore meaningless to get hot and bothered (heh) about. Not sure what I think about it nowadays except that the Bayonetta games are great. v:shobon:v

I mean I guess I should pay more attention and give more thought to this stuff, especially given I'm as bloody well privileged or whatever as it gets, but oh crikey I just want to play video games :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Widestancer posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

Buy this plus all 202 DLC for:

And you can know what it feels like to live life without being able to get offa this crazy train we're on AND spend thousands of dollars doing so.

Train Simulator 2015 is a good metaphor for our time.

Still less money than some goons spent on Star Citizen.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

living proof that anime can survive outside japan, child sexualization and all

Ciaphas posted:

I used to think her insane degree of sexualization was purely satirical and therefore meaningless to get hot and bothered (heh) about. Not sure what I think about it nowadays except that the Bayonetta games are great. v:shobon:v

laffo. what is it with people just automatically assuming anything self-aware is totally just kidding and doesn't count at all?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 9, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Star Citizen is very good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GuQdlpUE3k

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtB3CU1zaSU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Is that character supposed to be sexualized? From just that picture I assumed she was some sort of homeless crack addict.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

J-Spot posted:

Is that character supposed to be sexualized? From just that picture I assumed she was some sort of homeless crack addict.

The game doesn't sexualize her but creepy people definitely do.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

Let's talk about how much Anthony Burch deserves death.

He is a literal cuckold and that's p funny at least

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/archive/square_tomsoya/

"1855, the United States -. Rural town located in Missouri "St. Petersburg".
Live in this town "Tom Sawyer" View night dream there.
In Search of the treasure of the phantom, Tom begins an adventure along with the gang."

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Alain Post posted:

Star Citizen is very good.

Stop trying to Mansplain and shut your mouth

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

J-Spot posted:

it's an 8 year old girl that attaches herself to the presumably grown man protagonist, and whose character revolves around zany wacky humor. it's so similar to anime it struck me while playing the game. the only missing piece is to have her actually be a 1000 year old demon

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
anthony burch is responsible for all the social injustices in gaming

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I can't believe WORST FORUMS GUY is probated while this thread lives

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Widestancer posted:

#freebbg

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Rip the black baby goku

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Bilal posted:

Sorry guys but this thread has failed before it ever even started. We will never recapture the glory and magic of the original minority perspectives in games thread. It was lightning in a bottle. All those posters have been driven away by neo-GBS and taken refuge on postplace/wddp/rhizzone and twitter or whatever. Never again will we have a thread of goons genuinely upset that you can only play European countries in Europa Universalis, or a guy upset about sexual dimorphism in Everquest frog people. It just can't happen again.

:confused:

I thought the point of those games was to play as some backwater Asian/African/Native American country and claw yourself to relevance or die magnificently trying? Like who would want to play easy mode Britain or France?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Did he utter the extremely illegal words "lol" again?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

:confused:

I thought the point of those games was to play as some backwater Asian/African/Native American country and claw yourself to relevance or die magnificently trying? Like who would want to play easy mode Britain or France?

the God-Emperor of the World, formerly the Duke of Latvia, would like to have a word with you

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Blackheart posted:

jokes are an extremely serious infraction

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can see why playing as Non-Europeans in your European Power Fantasy game would be an issue, playing as the nations systemically plundered for vast resources is just a step too far - how would mighty Britain rule Europe if they didn't have Indians to subjugate?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

He posted in D&D, enough said

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Jokes oppress the unfunny.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

icantfindaname posted:

If you played BL2 and thought Tiny Tina was sexualized then you have a serious mental problem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Falsum posted:

Jokes oppress the unfunny.

The ability to make jokes and be funny is, when you think about it, the most oppressive institution of them all.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I got a free copy of Far Cry 4 with my SSD and I had to sign up for Uplay to get it, and it's more than 30 loving GB so it's going to take hours to download. Check your loving broadband privilege

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Bayonetta is feminist

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Exmond posted:

Stop trying to Mansplain and shut your mouth

Haha! Yes, such ownage! Please post more of these.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

"Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) – With a variety of audio cues, Injustice: Gods Among Us is extremely accessible to the visually impaired, and even blind gamers."

lol @ blind people playing fighting games. if you're not gonna play piano, just give up and jerk off until you perish.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

"Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) – With a variety of audio cues, Injustice: Gods Among Us is extremely accessible to the visually impaired, and even blind gamers."

lol @ blind people playing fighting games. if you're not gonna play piano, just give up and jerk off until you perish.

I know when it comes to the dread SJW goons aren't able to detect jokes, but everyone gets that's not a serious thing right?

Can we talk about how it's hosed up people don't consider gone home a game when it's basically just a smaller scale myst without the fantasy trappings? Is that just because it has an explicitly non-male, non-straight narrative or was it a kind of residual backlash against dear Esther?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

senae posted:

Can we talk about how it's hosed up people don't consider gone home a game when it's basically just a smaller scale myst without the fantasy trappings? Is that just because it has an explicitly non-male, non-straight narrative or was it a kind of residual backlash against dear Esther?

I just want to talk about Gone Home because when I first played it I absolutely loved the gameplay and found the story adorable - I haven't read or played a love story in a really long time, so that was cute. I was really surprised how angry people were about it, it felt so inoffensive. And I've always loved searching for clues and easter eggs, it's not very different from finding hidden health packs in shooters or hidden items in RPGs. What's there to be angry about, really?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

I know when it comes to the dread SJW goons aren't able to detect jokes, but everyone gets that's not a serious thing right?

It's the new generation of gamers who have grown up entirely on games and cannot accept a point of view presented outside of games and anything they like must be a game and everything they don't like must not be a game, but something else.

Heck, it's probably my generation that is the cause of this. Or the one just after me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

There was a blind Mortal Kombat player at Evo one year. He was doing pretty well until someone figured out they could just mirror-match him.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Kids these days stay indoors and play the video games instead of playing in the street, how's that for social issue, op?!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Social issues in gaming? Are you talking about "post to social network" buttons that stated appearing in video games?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

senae posted:

it's because it's about a woman. they hate it on two levels, both the basic middle school 'girls don't like me' level and on the more intellectual 'liberalism and tolerance in general is for faggots' / fascist level.

it's not like the people in question aren't fans of that style of game, look at visual novels

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 10, 2014

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The worst thing about the response to Gone Home is the "gone homo" meme, not only because it's immature or offensive but because it spoils a very nice part of the game. It's like the sweetest plot twist, when you realize it's all about teenage rebellion and love.

but no, drat homos amirite?

Although it isn't really all about the sister either, the game has a really deep plot that's presented in a way few games have attempted. You had to figure out what your mother was up to, and what was bothering your father, and the game never really spelled anything out. It felt really unique and rewarding.

Gamers are the worst. But I seem to remember people liking the game on release, particularly the 90's nostalgia, so I wonder when and why the opinion turned?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

senae posted:

There's a school of thought that separates puzzles from games, which would make Myst not a game, but that isn't what people who talk about Gone Home are referencing about 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

senae posted:

gone home was pushed very strongly and reviewed pretty well so lots of gamers spent $20 on it and found out it was a 45 minute long fart around game in a big boring house. anyone who suggests it was the narrative is a dumbass.

• Locked thread