Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

OOC thread here

Lazy afternoon sunlight drifts in from the open windows, raising the temperature from uncomfortable to miserable. Due to the platoon shift, everyone has just eaten lunch and it's all you can do to not just fall asleep in your seat. Over the intercom, the principal gives a horrible attempt at an inspirational speech to re-start the year. Any effect it might have had is surely quashed by the businesslike manner of the announcements afterwards:

If you show up to school early, stay in the cafeteria. It's distracting to the first shift of students and teachers to see people wandering the halls
While the curfew has technically been lifted, the school strongly urges everyone to not stay out late at night.
Going into any of the construction areas will earn you at least a detention.
The Brother's residence is off limits to students.
And, of course, the Halloween dance at the end of the week, that both shifts will be attending. Costumes are required, with the best being voted on by a panel of teachers.

pre:
         [MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[vick][simo][cynt][bonn]
2[ANNA][toni][LIZY][TOBY]
3[davi][MAGS][benj][raou]
4[JAMI][bern][luke][JEAN]
After taking attendance, Mr. Lenoard sits behind his desk and pulls out a copy of the Times Picayune. The front page mentions a murder victim found in the river, but it's eclipsed by a headline proclaiming that the Saints won the previous night. With the Superdome trashed, the Saints are stuck in the odd position of not actually having a home field, and every win is coveted by the locals, for their rarity, if nothing else.

Magdalena DuRousseau, Benjamin introduces himself, describing himself as an up and coming entrepreneur. Hoping this had the effect of catching your interest, he continues, "So, what would a cute girl like yourself be doing if you weren't stuck in this place for the day?" During the exchange, you've noticed that Toni keeps glancing at you, looking away when you turn towards her. What do you do?

Toby Ceprien, you had a long, thankless hunt last night, and you're feeling dead on your feet. You're pondering taking a nap when you see the girls across from you looking at you and giggling, while the one in front of you is laughing at them, with a more mocking and rude tone. What do you do?

Elizabeth Anderson, Cynthia has more or less accepted that you've forgotten most of the stories you've shared, but she's stuck by you. She's just a good friend like that. After glancing around to make sure that no one is listening, She starts whispering with you, saying that the she thinks Toby, one of the new kids, might be the one for her. Unfortunately, Bonnie appears to overhear and starts laughing at your friend. Cynthia blushes furiously. What do you do?

Jeanine Delacroix, Luke appears to have heard something about you, and he keeps asking you questions about Voodoo. Of course, he's mostly ignorant, asking about which stores down in the French Quarter and do you own a voodoo doll. Raoul looks up from his book and snorts in Luke's direction, "You buy that Voodoo bullshit?" He wave his hand dismissively, adding, "It's just crap for tourists." He looks towards you, expecting you to back him up. What do you do?

Jamie Reeves, Davis has been exchanging some small talk with you during the morning. He then looks you up and down, and says, "You need some skin on your bones, man! Why don't you come by my place after school, and I'll cook you up something good. Always need the practice, and nothing's better than cooking for company." Now that it's day, you've noticed that Bernie has a black eye. You both had the same shifts last night, so it must have happened sometime between work and now. What do you do?

Anastaise Lumiere, Simon turns his head to look back at you, "Hey, you're new, right? Where are you from?" He just sounds like he's making conversation, but you do hear Vicky start force the pencil against the paper much harder. On your right, you see Toni whip her head away from Magdalena, eyes wide with fright. What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

MC posted:

Jamie Reeves, Davis has been exchanging some small talk with you during the morning. He then looks you up and down, and says, "You need some skin on your bones, man! Why don't you come by my place after school, and I'll cook you up something good. Always need the practice, and nothing's better than cooking for company." Now that it's day, you've noticed that Bernie has a black eye. You both had the same shifts last night, so it must have happened sometime between work and now. What do you do?

Jamie is passing her friend some of her own green corrective concealer, since the color of her face has been changing under her makeup, when Davis makes his invitation. Jamie's been watching him. He's been trying to learn how to spin his ink and lead writers like they were drummer sticks. Not much progress has been made, though, he's been dropping them off the right side of his desk over and over, then asking Bernie or Mags to pick them up for him. Hmm.

"I like to eat raw, can you do that?" she asks him, which he falls over himself asserting.

"Then thank you, I will! You're a true...uh," she looks thoughtful for a moment then turns to Bernie, "So if friends always watch each other's backs, what do you call someone who always watches your front? They aren't all 'Davis' are they?"

Turn on Davis; Shut Down Davis: 2d6-1 4 2d6+2 10

I'll take a string on Davis.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, Davis laughs, copping to taking an eyeful, but apparently unphased by being called out. Bernie laughs and adds, "She can't get enough sushi. I think if she could, it's all she'd eat. Though, she's been getting pretty good at cooking steaks."

She slides the concealer back to Jamie, a grateful look on her face. She then asks, "So, weren't you going out with your other friends tonight? Toby's really been making all of you burn the midnight oil lately."

Davis raises a questioning eyebrow at this, but doesn't say anything.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Magdalene DuRousseau

An entrepreneur, this skinny pale boy? The though nearly makes me snort with derision, but I control myself. His clumsy attempt to make early conversation is an irritation, but it will give me an excuse to look past him at Tobias.

"Fun? I might try to find somewhere cool to sit and read, I suppose. If my house was still standing I could..." No, that might be a sore topic. I'm far from the only one hear to be missing home. "Well, maybe attend a..." (Don't say recital, Anastasia mentioned that was an old fashioned term) "...concert, if anyone interesting is playing. Quid pro quo, Benjamin, where would you be pursuing entertainment had you your choice?"

Toni's agitation is distracting. Have I said something to upset her? I don't believe I have. Try to smile kindly at her the next time she glances my way.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

Tired doesn't even begin to describe how Toby feels right now. If he could get away with it, he'd play hooky, but it's not like the FEMA trailers are hard to find, they'd probably send someone to come collect him, and he's not so desperate that he'd go find some abandoned place in the city and try and sleep there instead.

So here he is, tired and cranky and really not in the mood for dumb girls' giggling. If he weren't so tired, he might try to be more considerate - hell, at the very least he'd think twice about making more enemies, but not right now. Resting his chin on his crossed forearms, he glares at the girl sitting in front of him. "Yo, Bonnie, how 'bout you cram it for a bit? Didn't your mama ever teach ya manners?"

Shut Down on Bonnie - 2d6-1 8

Let's both give each other Conditions - I'll give her 'No Manners'

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, his eyes light up at the mention of the concert. "Aw, yeah. I love concerts. There's some good bands that have made it back here. All the bars should be jumping tonight." He grins, "Don't worry if you don't have a fake ID. I know the bouncers around here, and I could get you hooked up. In more ways than one, if you know what I mean." Judging by his tone, you should be very impressed by this last part.
You note that Tobias is talking to the other girls around him, but judging by the look on the Bonnie's face, he's rebuffed their advances.

Toby, Bonnie harrumphs and says, "Well, what thin skin we have. I'm just shocked that someone like you doesn't have any tact to speak of." Turning back to the front, she then pulls out her phone and starts texting up a storm.
She'll return the condition, No Manners
So, what were you looking for all night? Why didn't you ask Jamie or Jeanine to come along?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Magdalene DuRousseau
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions:

Capfalcon posted:

Magdalene, his eyes light up at the mention of the concert. "Aw, yeah. I love concerts. There's some good bands that have made it back here. All the bars should be jumping tonight." He grins, "Don't worry if you don't have a fake ID. I know the bouncers around here, and I could get you hooked up. In more ways than one, if you know what I mean." Judging by his tone, you should be very impressed by this last part.
You note that Tobias is talking to the other girls around him, but judging by the look on the Bonnie's face, he's rebuffed their advances.

What on earth does he mean? Is he propositioning me? Suggesting some kind of transaction? The 'bouncers' I have found out are a kind of uncouth doorman or private bailiff at a drinking establishment. What ever happened to plain language? Still, I am not going to betray my ignorance in conversation with this irritating child. He could have some use to me, as Mama always said: "Magdalene, mon cherie, a man who can be lead around by his lusts is as useful as a dog on a leash." Meeting his excited gaze with a cool stare of my own, I attempt to raise the stakes of the conversation to try and trap him in an error.

"What makes you think I even need an eyedee? I am quite capable of arranging a hook-up on my own terms. Although...it might be interesting to watch you employ your, ah, skills."

I lean forward just enough to make him feel as if he has my interest in more ways than one, a suggestion of possible intimacy should he make himself worth my time. I suspect he will be too busy attempting to subtly ogle my chest to notice any slips in my language.

"From the artists performing tonight, which concert do you think I should attend?"

Turn on Benjamin: 2d6+2 9

Hmmm, a string, a promise, or give himself to me. Marking XP.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth Anderson, Cynthia has more or less accepted that you've forgotten most of the stories you've shared, but she's stuck by you. She's just a good friend like that. After glancing around to make sure that no one is listening, She starts whispering with you, saying that the she thinks Toby, one of the new kids, might be the one for her. Unfortunately, Bonnie appears to overhear and starts laughing at your friend. Cynthia blushes furiously. What do you do?

Unlike most of Cynthia's fancies Elizabeth can actually understand her attraction to Toby he is stoic in the face of adversity his body is athletic and he appears to have dealt with his grief in an appropriate and proportional manner. Still Elizabeth suspects that this not exactly what her friend wishes to hear. Copying her giggle she flutters her eyelids and whispers back "he is kinda cute."

She sees the new girl clad in the finery purchased by her wealth as she starts laughing at the two of you for reasons unknown to Elizabeth. Turning to her Elizabeth delivers an icy glare which causes the girl to wilt back in her in chair. Satisfied that she has established an understanding Elizabeth leans over her journal and examines her schedule for the day.

Glaring Daggers (dark): 2d6+1 10 Gaining a string on Bonnie

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, Davis laughs, copping to taking an eyeful, but apparently unphased by being called out. Bernie laughs and adds, "She can't get enough sushi. I think if she could, it's all she'd eat. Though, she's been getting pretty good at cooking steaks."

She slides the concealer back to Jamie, a grateful look on her face. She then asks, "So, weren't you going out with your other friends tonight? Toby's really been making all of you burn the midnight oil lately."

Davis raises a questioning eyebrow at this, but doesn't say anything.
Jamie shrugs at Bernie, "Jeanine's the real taskmaster if you ask me... 'get this,' 'get that.' I don't even get a taste of whatever she's cooking up at the end of the night! Jamie Reeves, extreme grocer." Hm, that might have been loud enough for hear. She lowers her voice, and starts asking a bunch of honest, straight-faced questions, "That reminds me, Burn, what's the protocol for this Davis thing? Is it gonna be 'dinner with the family,' for getting to know ya, and this is how I'm gonna look when I'm old? Maybe a potluck, for sharing and celebrating, that I need to bring some of my fish to and try a little bit of everyone else's? Or will I be 'eating out?' poo poo, who gives who the tip at the end? The boy, right? Or do we split it? What's so funny?"

She's not completely oblivious that she doesn't know the answer to her last question. Jamie liked making her friend shake her head, nod, start to giggle, then throw her head back and laugh. It was like the green movie in places, but Jamie didn't want to think about that right now.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise Lumiere, Simon turns his head to look back at you, "Hey, you're new, right? Where are you from?" He just sounds like he's making conversation, but you do hear Vicky start force the pencil against the paper much harder. On your right, you see Toni whip her head away from Magdalena, eyes wide with fright. What do you do?

I can feel my cheeks starting to burn as he looks me over. drat, the boy is cute. "Oh me, I'm from St. Etienne. On the north side? It's, uhm, an all-girl's school, so..." So what? Suddenly I realize I'm already smiling back and adjusting my hair... poo poo.

Turn on Simon: 2d6+2 11 for a string on him.

I quickly try to pull myself back together, dragging my eyes away from his and smoothing my blouse. Then I glance nervously at the back of Vicky's head. She think I'm gonna try and get in on her action? I'm not like, interested in him or anything, gently caress! I just... "You two from the - the same school? Ya'll seem like a cute couple!" ...god drat it, now she's definitely gonna think something's up.

Desperate for something else to focus on, I turn to Toni. "You all right, babe? You're like, freaking out a little."

megane fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 10, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalena, he gulps a little and shifts around in his seat, as if suddenly uncomfortable in his chair, but he recovers quickly enough. "Oh, well, you can take care of it on your own, why settle for one? Great thing about this school schedule is plenty of time to recover from the previous night. Trust me, I know all the best places that we could go. What time would you wanna meet up? 8 or so?"

Where did you plan on getting your last meal, and who in the classroom kept you from getting it?

Elizabeth, from what you've heard, the first day of classes is known as "Syllabus day." As Cynthia told you only the day before, "Only a monster would expect us to actually work today." After homeroom, there's Chemistry, PE, a short break for a snack, then History and Math. Your classes that you don't have today are English and Art. Since technically this is a public school using a private school's facilities, there's no Religion class. Grateful that you put Cynthia looks back at you, "So, I've got a plan. I was going to ask him out tonight, but I think it'd be less suspicious if I had a few more people come. Will you ask some people? You know, just make it look like a get together with new classmates?"

What was the last thing you did that made Cynthia cry? What did you do to make it up to her?

Jamie, you and your friend have managed to attract Mr. Lenoard's attention. He peers over his paper and says, "Please keep it down to, at most, a low rumble." You can tell he's not mad at either of you, but he is serious. Bernie stifles her laughter a little more, and Davis shakes his head, smiling his own smile, "Girls and their secrets." Bernie sticks her tongue out, but it's all in good fun. He asks, "So, what have the two of you been doing since you've been back?" Bernie freezes up, looking at you to make sure you both have your stories straight before answering.

Which teacher have you seen come into Madam Bouvier's? Aside from the idea of being caught working there, what made you scared of her?

Anastaise, he doesn't turn to look at Vicky but laughs, "No, no. We're from the Catholic schools here, and none of them are coed. I guess they're afraid we'll screw like bunnies if left in the same room for too long. What did you do over the worst vacation from school ever?" He laughs at his own jokes. Vicky doesn't laugh, of course.

Toni just looks back over her shoulder towards Elizabeth and, after seeing you follow her gaze, turns back and says in a very quiet voice, "Nothing." She raises her hand and asks the teacher to go to the bathroom, who gave her a hall pass. She appeared grateful to escape the room.

Which of your classmates has your father asked you about? What did he ask?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Jamie, you and your friend have managed to attract Mr. Lenoard's attention. He peers over his paper and says, "Please keep it down to, at most, a low rumble." You can tell he's not mad at either of you, but he is serious. Bernie stifles her laughter a little more, and Davis shakes his head, smiling his own smile, "Girls and their secrets." Bernie sticks her tongue out, but it's all in good fun. He asks, "So, what have the two of you been doing since you've been back?" Bernie freezes up, looking at you to make sure you both have your stories straight before answering.

Which teacher have you seen come into Madam Bouvier's? Aside from the idea of being caught working there, what made you scared of her?

Jamie lowers her head a little after Mr. Leonard looks her way. Just like she did when he and his wife walked into Bouvier's. Mrs. Leonard left him on the floor to go upstairs, and orders for buckets of ice--no wine bottles, just the ice--came down after her, one after the other. The ones that came back were half full, hot to the touch and tinted red. The memory makes her morbid, and colors her smooth reply to Davis's inquiry about her and Burns' work, "Nothing that interesting. Mostly a whole lot of wet, hot, barely-legal dishwashing. Our poor nails never knew what hit them... So if you ask me to do dishes after dinner I will probably throw you in the sink, with all the knives. Heehee! It'd be your soup du dernier jour!"

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix, Luke appears to have heard something about you, and he keeps asking you questions about Voodoo. Of course, he's mostly ignorant, asking about which stores down in the French Quarter and do you own a voodoo doll. Raoul looks up from his book and snorts in Luke's direction, "You buy that Voodoo bullshit?" He wave his hand dismissively, adding, "It's just crap for tourists." He looks towards you, expecting you to back him up. What do you do?

"It got turned into crap for tourists," I say, giving Raoul a harsh glare. "What it WAS was part of the culture and stories we brought with us when our ancestors got taken from their homes. Yeah, these days Walt Disney and Marvel got their hands on it, and worst of all, the New Orleans tourism board. But back in the day, those things kept hope and dignity alive for a lot of folks working the plantations. So show some respect."

Shut down Raoul: Shut Down Raoul: 2d6+1 7 I'll give the condition: Culturally insensitive

All right. Just going along and shrugging might have been the more careful response. We don't want the secret rites known. So we don't want them to know who's the priestess. So we don't want them to know there even is a religion. But gently caress it if I'm letting the choirboy there just poo poo all over it. The Loa don't give a drat for what he says, but I sure do.

And then, I wonder two things. One, why does Luke come to me? Could just be a lucky guess, I am from the French Quarter after all, but could be someone's spreading stories. And I'm curious why he wants to know. Could just be tourist curiosity. Could be he's looking for something in particular. I turn to him. "But yeah, Luke. There's a lot of bullshit going around. I don't own a voodoo doll, never see none and I can give you some good restaurants in the French Quarter that have come back. Somebody tries to tell you they'll do voodoo magic to read your future, might as well read your horoscope."

I laugh, trying to make sure it sounds amused. "Who's telling stories like that about me anyway? I mean, I know a few old stories. Folk tales. If that doesn't bore you, I can tell you a few of those later on."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Magdalene DuRousseau posted:

Capfalcon posted:

Magdalena, he gulps a little and shifts around in his seat, as if suddenly uncomfortable in his chair, but he recovers quickly enough. "Oh, well, you can take care of it on your own, why settle for one? Great thing about this school schedule is plenty of time to recover from the previous night. Trust me, I know all the best places that we could go. What time would you wanna meet up? 8 or so?"

Ahhh, it is an attempt to arrange a dalliance. Well, far be it from me to disappoint a young gentleman who wishes to escort a lady to a concert or two. Given how much harder stumbling upon fresh corpses has become since I was...reborn? (Resurrection seems the wrong word, almost blasphemous. Perhaps 'awoken' will suffice.) an opportunity to expand my social circles to include people who won't be missed cannot be turned down so easily. The flesh of animals will only hold the hunger at bay for so long. I favor him with a light smile.

"Eight o'clock should be perfectly adequate. Should we meet at the first venue you had in mind?"

Capfalcon posted:

Where did you plan on getting your last meal, and who in the classroom kept you from getting it?

It was just a stray cat, a scruffy orange tom. Almost as common as flies at the moment, the perfect appetizer to take the edge off the hunger before needing to sit in a classroom with rather more substantial meals. I was tempting it to my hand with a piece what the school chefs laughably call fish (and which I would not eat even if it had any effect on my hunger) when Anastaise happened upon me. She mistook my intent for charity, and not wanting to disabuse her of the notion I allowed her to help me capture it, and we took it to a veterinary surgeon. The animal is going to be examined and returned to me to keep. Frustrating, but I do not wish to appear ungrateful. She has been very kind, and I never had anything like a friend my own age.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 11, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, Raoul puts his hands up in a warding off gesture. You can see the title of the book he's holding, Mere Christianity. He says, "Hey, man. I didn't mean it like that. I meant the tourist crap in French Quarter is just that. Tourist crap. I mean, I don't think that any of the 'relics' that are being sold there are the real deal either."

Luke isn't listening to Raoul. He's excited, sure he's on the right track now. "No one in particular. I just heard that you've been helping people like your Aunt did. From what I hear, she was a real pillar of the community. Giving advice and straightening out misunderstandings." He lowers his voice conspiratorially, "I, uh, might have a misunderstanding that I'd like to talk to you about after school."

Raoul gives you the condition Touchy.
Who in your class did you run into at Bhaskar's on your last trip? What do you think they were getting?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, from what you've heard, the first day of classes is known as "Syllabus day." As Cynthia told you only the day before, "Only a monster would expect us to actually work today." After homeroom, there's Chemistry, PE, Biology, a short break for a snack, then History and Math. Your classes that you don't have today are English and Art. Since technically this is a public school using a private school's facilities, there's no Religion class. Grateful that you put Cynthia looks back at you, "So, I've got a plan. I was going to ask him out tonight, but I think it'd be less suspicious if I had a few more people come. Will you ask some people? You know, just make it look like a get together with new classmates?"

What was the last thing you did that made Cynthia cry? What did you do to make it up to her?

I remember not long after the doctors had pronounced me fit and healthy. Cynthia came to my home or the FEMA? trailer that passed for it at this present time. She was telling me about her latest fancy Frankie? no, Steve? he was the one after , Oh Joseph it was then. She had been wittering on endlessly about his big brown eyes and soulful demeanour or something equally rubbish. I am afraid I lost my temper at her after becoming frustrated with some simple task I was struggling to remaster and told her in no uncertain times that some of us had more important things to worry about than an endless parade of young males.

She leaked distressingly and refused to talk to me for several days afterwards. She eventually came back to me for help though, it seemed her Joe wanted her to go on a date with him but they had nowhere to go. Well as it happened I had been exploring the shattered streets of New Orleans and familiarizing myself with their unique geography and had noticed that one of the restaurants not far from my supposed former home had returned from it's flood evacuation. I supplied her with the location of this restaurant and she treated it like some great and treasured piece of information and put her arms round my neck which is a sign of affection I have since learned. Since then I have been a somewhat amused and at times baffled consultant in what seems like her attempt to survey half the male teenagers remaining in New Orleans.

Still she seems oddly serious about Toby. And a party would give me a chance to learn a little more about the people I will be sharing a class with and maybe just maybe I will find something there that
helps me gain back something I have lost. With all this in mind I said the only thing I could to her "Sure, just let me know where and when and I will spread the word about the party" I say not noticing that my voice has unconsciously began to mimic the tone of the earlier announcement over the loudspeaker.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine

All right, maybe I sort of overreacted on Raoul there. I guess he doesn't know that there still is more than... well... the crap that exists. Still, you know, I think I made my point. I give a non-committal grunt and turn to Luke.

Then Luke talks more, and there goes any questions that he knows way more than I'm comfortable with. Yeah, gonna have to find out where that leak is from. Loa, I hope I didn't gently caress something up. Still, he seems to want to keep it on the quiet, and... well... it wouldn't be the first time a mambo was asked for assistance from a white person. And Luke isn't a bad dude. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't actually try to figure out what I'm doing, maybe I could.... help his misunderstanding. I nod. "Sure, sounds good. Meet up at the bike racks."

So. Who told him? I try to think who may have found out. Well, I did encounter Davis at Bhaskar's while I was getting... ingredients. But I didn't do anything too shocking there, did I? Well... maybe if he noticed I was buying rum. (Bhaskar probably has the wrong impression of me... I hope) Anyway, he was buying some good ingredients there. He's a pretty good cook, we even chatted about it for a bit. Plenty of Loa want food made in a certain way, so a good mambo is a good cook. And it's a fun thing to be good at. So we talked cooking and recipes for a brief bit. And you know, the kind of recipe he's thinking of? That's not a Thursday night meal, that was something fancy, romantic dinner. And he was picking ingredients for two.

Anyway, that's not important right, just need to make sure he's not on to me and...

Is he looking at Jamie? Oh drat it. Don't tell me he's going after that. I don't need more troubles right now. poo poo, if they're close, it could be the fish-thing is passing on things to him. It could have found out about it.

All right, calm down. Doesn't have to be him. After school, we're going to talk to Luke, and he's gonna tell me where he heard it. And please let it be Bernie he's after. Maybe I should set the fish-thing straight.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, Bonnie harrumphs and says, "Well, what thin skin we have. I'm just shocked that someone like you doesn't have any tact to speak of." Turning back to the front, she then pulls out her phone and starts texting up a storm.
She'll return the condition, No Manners
So, what were you looking for all night? Why didn't you ask Jamie or Jeanine to come along?

drat, she sure got him good. It's going to take ages to get over that sick burn. No tact, whatever will he do with himself?

Burying his face in his forearms, he groans. Last night was a killer. Literally. The murder victim in the river? He was tracking its killer. Didn't get a good look at it, just that it was big and scaly, and its eyes were hungry for more. It was a hell of a time even tracking it down, it swam as much as it walked, he'd had to guess which forks it went down - guessed wrongly a few times. Even when he found its lair, it wasn't somewhere he could easily follow - the thing had made its nest in the sewers, and he'll be damned if he goes there at night, by himself. That's just asking to get ambushed and end up its next victim.

He's going to have to ask the others for help - not that he wants to. He doesn't like having to rely on other people to begin with. Call him stupid - and he knows they will - but his dad did this stuff on his own, and he doesn't like having to share his job with other people. Just doesn't feel right. In addition to that... Things didn't go well the last time they hunted together. Nothing serious, but well, Jeanine's bossy at the best of times, and stubborn as a mule - and so's he. When they butt heads, it can get a little messy. So... best to give it some time and keep distance, as far he's concerned. Maybe he could just ask Jamie by herself, but... truth be told, something about that girl makes him a little uneasy. She's not into whatever poo poo Jeanine is, but she doesn't seem to be at all worried about the stuff they do, and that alone sets off some alarms for him.

But, ugh... he'll have to work with them again sooner rather than later, unless he wants to stand aside and let more bodies pile up in the river. Got to figure out how to fix things with Jeanine, and just flat out get over Jamie's weirdness. Just... not right now. Right now he needs a rest. Just a little shut-eye...

Gazing into the Abyss 2d6=7

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 11, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5
I found out my deadbeat dad is the Lord of the Dead, I carefully think but don't fuckin' say. "Well, we went to live with my aunt and uncle in Baton Rouge. Mom's car got totaled when Allison came through a few years ago so she had us out of here the second she got the chance. Were, uh, were you here for Allison, Vicky?" I'm tryin' real goddamn hard to include her in the conversation, but she just ignores me. There's a few seconds of physically painful silence and then Toni saves the day by runnin' off.

Oh thank God, an excuse to end this horrible fuckin' conversation. I point after Toni apologetically and try to smile like I'm not the awkward fuckin' piece of poo poo I am. "I uh, I should go see if she's feelin' all right. But it's so nice to meet you, I'll see you later!" poo poo that was super flirty. "Oh ah, you both, I mean!" Aggh.

"I need to go to the bathroom, too, Mr. L," I say, and hurry after Toni without waiting for an answer. drat, my face feels like it's on fire. Toni had the right idea gettin' out of there. Now where the gently caress did she get to?

Capfalcon posted:

Which of your classmates has your father asked you about? What did he ask?

So, I've been trying to treat Dad like, well, a normal dad. It helps me not to focus on all the other poo poo. So last time I went, instead of creepy poo poo, I just told him about my new school. You know, just bullshit small talk. Anyway, that day we'd done the orientation... thing, whatever, and I'd met Jeanine. I don't remember why I mentioned her, but Dad seemed to recognize her name, like he'd heard about her from somebody or met her a long time ago or somethin'. "Ah, little miss Delacroix," he says in that deep fuckin' voice he uses when he thinks somethin's funny. "I should very much like to meet her one of these days. Let her know I asked after her, won't you?" I said I would, but how exactly am I supposed to bring it up? And how does he know about her anyway, that's really creepy.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, your first guess is that she actually went to the bathroom, and the choked sobs tell you that you've got the right idea. Toni hears you come in and peeks around the stall door, eyes wide with fright. She visibly relaxes when she sees its you. You both stare at each other for a moment, but the bell breaks the quiet between the two of you. She doesn't seem to notice it until she says, "I'm fine. I'm just going to stay here a little while longer. You can go to class." She pulls her head back into the stall and closes the door. What do you do?

Toby, you're running. It's late at night. Your chest burns as you pant. You've been running forever, but the eyes in the sewers are following you. You think you see someone in a blue jacket on the corner. You're sa- You can't even finish the thought as your spine erupts with fire. Even speaking is beyond your abilities. One of the last things you see is the man from the corner running over to you, but it's too late. Your head bobs below water and all is...

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRING!*

You almost fall out of your chair as the bell shatters your dream.

Everyone aside from Anastaise (unless she leaves the bathroom), your next class is Chemistry. The teacher, Mrs. Devoreaux, is a tall, thin woman in her 20's. She's probably fresh out of college, so she hasn't had her standards lowered to that of the other teachers yet. She takes roll, and Toni (and possibly Anastaise) are missing. She hands out the syllabus to be signed by your parents. However, not only does she give a lecture on the nature of atoms, but she wants everyone to pair off into lab partners for the lab she's having you do tomorrow.

Some people just have no respect for tradition.

Toby, you see no less than Cynthia, Bernie, and Vicky looking at you, each hoping to become your lab partner. What do you do?
What hurt the last girl you got close to?

Magdalena, Benjamin walks up next to you, apparently assuming you're going to be lab partners. You barely see him, however as you've noticed that the walk in fridge for the chemicals also stores the biology lab's fetal pigs. That's... quite a lot of meat in there.
What's the finest meal you've had since your return?

Elizabeth, you see your friend trying to pair off with her crush. Also, no one is looking to pair up with you. What do you do?
Why do you dislike Vicky?

Jeanine, Luke looks up at you, apparently thinking that you're going to be partners. Although, you've noticed that Raoul has thrown a few glances your way. What do you do?
What happened the last time you cast a hex for a white person that makes you reluctant to do so now?

Jamie, Davis attempts to pair off with you. Also, you notice Magdalena doesn't have a partner yet, but she's eyeing the fridge where they store the chemicals and dead animals. What do you do?
What is the strangest custom of the Dry Selkies?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Magdalena, Benjamin walks up next to you, apparently assuming you're going to be lab partners. You barely see him, however as you've noticed that the walk in fridge for the chemicals also stores the biology lab's fetal pigs. That's... quite a lot of meat in there. What's the finest meal you've had since your return?

Oh dear...why do they have all that meat in there? Young pork, by the look of it. Kept fresh by whatever machine produces cold in this building (how is that even possible without access to ice? Attempts to to ask for an explanation have been rebuffed with references to 'google' which is entirely unhelpful). Perhaps I had better not work in too close proximity to Benjamin just at this time. I do not value him enough to trust myself to behave properly should the temptation arise. I do not wish to insult him, however. A small lie. A gentle reminder that his status is in no way fixed, leaving room for him to imagine himself coming closer. And for me to maintain a proper distance.

"I am sorry, Benjamin, but I already told Anastaise I would be her lab partner." A lie, but harmless. A coy smile, the tap of a finger on his chest, a near whisper meant just for him to hear - "Besides, I never mix business with pleasure."

Not sure if shutting down, turning on, or both or neither? Rolling for both I guess.

Shut Down Benji: 2d6+2 6

Turn on Benji (Cold): 2d6+2 8

Ah, from the look in his eye I may have misjudged how far I have already lead him on. Men who cannot take no for an answer are such bores. There was a such a man shortly after my arrival, who thought because his house was above the water, and because he was rich enough to feed and shelter a young woman in distress he was entitled to her virtue. He cooked a fine meal, laced it with some derivative of laudanum and waited for me to become suggestible. The spices and rum in the meal made the parts of him I was able to tear off before he escaped taste all the sweeter. Should we meet again I'm sure he'll be more polite.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, Davis attempts to pair off with you. Also, you notice Magdalena doesn't have a partner yet, but she's eyeing the fridge where they store the chemicals and dead animals. What do you do?
What is the strangest custom of the Dry Selkies?

Jamie picks a seat too close to the fridge and turns pale from the stench, which no one else seems to notice like she does. It smells like the FEMA trailers where the sick people stay. Mags is stealing glances at the minipigs anyway, and licking her lips not quite as bad as when she first burst out of that container but bad enough to worry her. Temptations eroded willpower like waves over Dry Kingdom reefs. And unlike most Dry Kingdom Selkies who just worry and talk and poison their bodies so no one can eat them when they die, Jamie puts her body on the line and acts. She crouches by her friend's desk and speaks her quiet but heartfelt warning, "I know what you're thinking Mags, but don't do it. They're adulterated. They'll taste bad and probably knock you out like that one pristine looking older guy you tried to convince me to share with you. I know you came back to me later but I was still worried... If it helps you can bite me a little to tide you over. Not too hard, and not where people can see."

Turn on Mags: 2d6-1 4
I failed...

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 11, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ahhhh, Jamie, you have no idea how welcome your interference is. Holding up one hand to keep Benjamin at bay I listen intently to her advice. Is she...offering to let me eat part of her? That is very noble of her, but I do not intend to injure my confidante merely in order to relieve my hunger. I hope I have more self control than to burst into a locked room and wolf down a hundredweight of pork while a crowd stares in horror. I whisper back:

"That is truly sweet and generous of you to offer, but I don't want to hurt you. And besides, I can last a while longer."

She was right about the preserved corpse, of course. It was incredibly foul to taste, and I found it hard to move for days afterwards.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson
Hot -1 Cold -1 Volatile 2 Dark 1

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, you see your friend trying to pair off with her crush. Also, no one is looking to pair up with you. What do you do?
Why do you dislike Vicky?

I found myself stood alone in the midst of the chemistry lab. Not a lab partner to be found as Cynthia rushed to pair off with Toby before he was claimed by some other would be romantic partner.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Victoria advance on me. I shuddered after our last meeting I wanted nothing to do with her. Victoria "please call me Vicky" had found me alone and somewhat at loose ends a few days earlier and apparently saw in me a fresh victim for her fiendish cruelties. She dragged me over to a nearby bench and proceeded to sit me down and talk in excruciating detail about the boring minutiae of her art, Cynthia is bad enough at times but at least she is a friend and has stood by me through my trials. We talked for hours. That is to say she talked and I listened in appalled silence desperately seeking escape. I am sure humanity has come up with much more physically painful tortures over the years but the sheer agony of what Vicky inflicted on me was surely beyond the reach of even the most sadistic interrogator. Still eventually I managed to disengage from her and escape to blessed solitude and silence.

This still left me with a dilemma however I needed a lab partner and fast before she reached me. I quickly seize on the only available candidate. Definitely not my first choice but what was that charming phrase someone uttered to me the other day? ah yes "Any port in a storm." Bonnie. I turned to her and said "Oh hey, Bonnie isn't it? do you have a lab partner yet? as I currently find myself without one. Perhaps we can work together?" Seeing as how she had systematically alienated everyone around her with her lack of manners she should feel pressured into taking the only logical choice. Me.

Manipulating Bonnie: 2d6-1 6 spending my string on her to bump that up to a 9 edit Forgot about Bonnies condition edited a bit and add 1 to bump that up to 10

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 11, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, Luke looks up at you, apparently thinking that you're going to be partners. Although, you've noticed that Raoul has thrown a few glances your way. What do you do?
What happened the last time you cast a hex for a white person that makes you reluctant to do so now?

Oh gently caress. I like Luke well enough, but this poo poo carries risks.

Yeah, last time I helped a white person. It was in the Superdome. Yeah, with those. There was this girl, Jennifer, about my age. Got seperated from her parents and was there on her own. Came to ask for help with us. My parents aren't the type to turn folks away, and when some folks came to bring her elsewhere 'for her own safety' (away from scary black folk), she told them to gently caress off. Points gained there.

So, she was absolutely miserable about her parents. Not knowing where they were. So... I asked the Loa about them for her. Made her promise not to tell anyone, didn't show her how I did it, but they had gotten out of the city, and not in any danger. She was so grateful. Said she'd be my best friend for ever. Some time later we got out of there and she reunited with her parents. Hugs and fuzzy feelings all around.

But she got too interested. Started looking things up, asking me about how it worked, offering, and later begging me to assist me in anything. Saying how closely connected she had felt since then with the black community. If she'd just been stupid I could have just smiled and nodded. But drat it, Jenn had to be razor-sharp, and she was separating wheat from chaff at a very quick rate. And well-meaning as she was, a white girl girl from a well off suburban family wasn't someone I could initiate. I had to cut her off.

So I did. And I used harsh words. And some threats about digging deeper. After those, we were no longer friends. It hurt, but it had to be done. I haven't heard from her since.

I don't want that anymore. Luke is all right with me, and because of that, I'll have to make it clear that if I do anything with the loa for you, that's a one time thing. It does not give you a backstage pass to the French Quarters. i'm doing you a favour, and part of repaying me is that you don't make something out of it.

And that is partly why I wasn't gonna partner up with Luke. We'd agreed to talk after school. If I partnered up with him now, he'd probably want to talk now, and I don't want this poo poo in public. And I want to keep him at distance while this is hanging above us. Besides, if I started any fire on the bridge with Raoul, I might wanna put it out before I burned that bridge there. So when I catch Luke's gaze, I narrow my eyes a bit and raise my hand in a 'hold off' manner.

Shut Down Luke: 2d6+1 10 I gain a string on Luke

So, acting like I hadn't seen Luke I went over to Raoul. "hey, Raoul, you wanna team up?" I mean, I wasn't going to apologize or anything. Even if he didn't mean anything by it, he should think about what he says more. But you know, no hard feelings right?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 11, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, Jamie, Benjamin apparently has better hearing that you think. Not enough to hear everything, but boy did he get an earful. His eyes grow wide, and then a lecherous grin spreads across his face. "Man, you girls are freaky. In the middle of class, huh? Well, if you want, I suppose I can linger in front of the table for a moment. You know, give you some cover to do your thing." What do you do?
Magdlene, you're going to have to roll Hold Steady if you don't take the opportunity. If she takes it, Jamie, you'll take a harm and have to roll Hold Steady.

Elizabeth, Bonnie looks a little hurt that no one wanted to team up with her. She won't show it, but she's pretty grateful that the teacher didn't have to assign her a partner. She looks at you and says, "Well, I suppose you probably need some help. Sure, I'll work with you."

Jeanine, Luke's a little confused, but shrugs and walks away to find another partner. Raoul, too, is a little confused, but shrugs and adds with a grin, "As long as you don't start lecturing me about the noble heritage of Hydrochloric acid, sure."

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 11, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5
I hesitate, lookin' stupid as gently caress just standing there in the bathroom. This whole thing had been just an excuse to get out of class but now I'm really startin' to worry about her. On the other hand, I know when I'm feelin' like poo poo sometimes havin' somebody breathe down my fuckin' neck is the last thing I want. Agh, I dunno, how the gently caress am I supposed to know?

Well, she said she wants me gone, so fine. If she's lyin' she can fuckin' deal with it. I lean against the door of her stall for a moment. "All right, honey. Take all the time you need, I'll tell 'em you're feelin' sick. But... will you promise me you'll tell me about it later, okay? I just wanna help."

Manipulate Toni: 2d6+2 7

megane fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, she says, "No, please don't go. I... I don't really want to be alone. I just don't want to be with her." At your of confusion, she screws up her face in frustration, "Do the rest of you really not see anything wrong? She really looks normal to you?" Maybe I am just going crazy."

She looks you straight in the eye as she says, "You don't see Magdalene is a corpse, do you?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Magdalene, Jamie, Benjamin apparently has better hearing that you think. Not enough to hear everything, but boy did he get an earful. His eyes grow wide, and then a lecherous grin spreads across his face. "Man, you girls are freaky. In the middle of class, huh? Well, if you want, I suppose I can linger in front of the table for a moment. You know, give you some cover to do your thing." What do you do?
Magdlene, you're going to have to roll Hold Steady if you don't take the opportunity. If she takes it, Jamie, you'll take a harm and have to roll Hold Steady.
Jamie whispers at the same volume, knowing the eavesdropper can hear, "This john thinks he can play bouncer and get an eyeful for free? In his dreams. I'm going to the 'powder room.'"

shut down Ben: 2d6+2 13
I'll give him, 'off-white knight.'

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, Luke's a little confused, but shrugs and walks away to find another partner. Raoul, too, is a little confused, but shrugs and adds with a grin, "As long as you don't start lecturing me about the noble heritage of Hydrochloric acid, sure."

"Extremely funny." I say, with an expression that suggests entirely the opposite. gently caress, part of me is regretting this already. But better deal with this than risk Luke blabbing too much. besides, I could get some information out of Raoul about something I'm still dealing with. A quick look to my left. What the hell is the fish thing doing now? Benji's grin could mean it's planning something... or, knowing Benji, it could mean nothing.

I put on the white coat, buttoning it up. For now, let's see if we can find out a thing or two about another matter. "I mean, you know how important these things can be. You take your religion seriously. I mean, I can't imagine you'd be happy if St. Florian would be marketed just about exclusively as 'the place with all the buried treasures.' I mean, I heard it's got as long a history in New Orleans as there has been a New Orleans."

Manipulate Raoul: 2d6-1 7 What do I need to do to have Raoul tell me what he knows about St. Florian?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 11, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shogeton posted:

I put on the white coat, buttoning it up. For now, let's see if we can find out a thing or two about another matter. "I mean, you know how important these things can be. You take your religion seriously. I mean, I can't imagine you'd be happy if St. Florian would be marketed just about exclusively as 'the place with all the buried treasures.' I mean, I heard it's got as long a history in New Orleans as there has been a New Orleans."

Manipulate Raoul: 2d6-1 7 What do I need to do to have Raoul tell me what he knows about St. Florian?

Jeanine, he's a little skeptical of this apparent bridge building, but he starts talking, apparently happy to have someone actually interested in the subject for once, "It's not quite the oldest; that'd be the Cathedral. Been here since the early 1700s. It's one of the oldest churchs in the US." He has a note of pride in his voice at that. "However, St. Florian's has seen its share of years. If you're interested, we can go after school. It's a pretty short walk."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

"Sounds good." I say, "Give me a few minutes after class though. I've got something to take care of before I go. Won't be long" The talk with Luke can't take that long. And I really want to know what's going on in that church. I'll probably get preached at. But I can deal with that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
"Maggie? A... a what?" At first I can't even understand what the gently caress she's sayin'. But then I remember the swamp. The crossroads.

Dad's smile.

Oh god.

I scrabble for something to say to Toni. "I, I mean, I dunno, what does that even mean? L, look, I'm sure it's just... a misunderstandin' or something'. Everybody's on edge right now. I know I ain't gotten a lot of sleep lately, if I started seein' things I wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean, gently caress, did you see Toby back there? He was practically fallin' asleep standin' up." God, I'm just babbling like an idiot. But what the gently caress am I supposed to say? "I mean, she's... just a chick, right? Here, just chill in here as long as you want. I'll watch the door and make sure nobody bothers you, and Pretty soon you'll be feelin' better, okay?" Holy poo poo.

I stand up and cross the room to look at my face in the mirror. poo poo, now I'm crying too. My makeup is fuckin' ruined, and gently caress, it takes forever in this heat. A few weeks ago I'd be fuckin' laughin' if somebody told me this poo poo. And I've been tryin' real hard to forget... everything. I mean, as long as it was just me I could pretend... But what if Toni's actually right? I mean, why the gently caress would you make poo poo like this up? Hell, Bobbie was a corpse and she sat up and looked at me; who knows what's fuckin' goin' on any more. Maybe... holy poo poo, what if, what if Maggie's the Worm? God drat it. God drat it. I put my forehead on the cool porcelain, gently caress I'm so, so pathetic.

Why can't poo poo just... work? Just go back to bein' normal?

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 12 +XP

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, you're running. It's late at night. Your chest burns as you pant. You've been running forever, but the eyes in the sewers are following you. You think you see someone in a blue jacket on the corner. You're sa- You can't even finish the thought as your spine erupts with fire. Even speaking is beyond your abilities. One of the last things you see is the man from the corner running over to you, but it's too late. Your head bobs below water and all is...

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRING!*

You almost fall out of your chair as the bell shatters your dream.

Almost, but not quite. Still, that's a little embarrassing. Bonnie's going to have a field day with that.

Of course it couldn't be a pleasant dream... of course. But even a bad dream's better than none at all, and it isn't just a regular nightmare. Something's trying to tell him something... Don't go to the sewers by himself, and look for someone in a blue jacket. What do they have to do with this?

quote:

Everyone aside from Anastaise (unless she leaves the bathroom), your next class is Chemistry. The teacher, Mrs. Devoreaux, is a tall, thin woman in her 20's. She's probably fresh out of college, so she hasn't had her standards lowered to that of the other teachers yet. She takes roll, and Toni (and possibly Anastaise) are missing. She hands out the syllabus to be signed by your parents. However, not only does she give a lecture on the nature of atoms, but she wants everyone to pair off into lab partners for the lab she's having you do tomorrow.

Some people just have no respect for tradition.

Toby, you see no less than Cynthia, Bernie, and Vicky looking at you, each hoping to become your lab partner. What do you do?
What hurt the last girl you got close to?

The choice of those three is simple. Cynthia was one of the girls giggling about him, like Bonnie, so screw her, she can go giggle some more with someone else. Petty, yeah, but he's in a pretty petty mood. Bernie's black eye does give him some concern, and he'll want to talk about that later, but it also reminds him of something unpleasant, so he doesn't want to work with her for a bit. With a smile on his face, Toby goes over to Vicky - the girl even taller than him, passing straight by Bernie on the way. Doesn't hurt that Vicky's pretty, too.

Oh yeah - the unpleasant thing Bernie reminds him of... Well, the last time he got close to a girl, she wanted him close, you know, like a boyfriend and girlfriend are supposed to be, but he couldn't do that, had to keep making excuses so he could do his work. One day she got mugged - left that alley a purse lighter and a black eye heavier, and he wasn't there for her, even though he'd promised to be. She dumped him, and yeah, he felt like poo poo for that, and felt twice as poo poo for the fact that he was relieved it wasn't worse. So, what hurt her? He did, honestly. He hurt her by not living up to his end of the bargain.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, you're staring at each other, and her eyes go wide. She shakes her head at your excuses and says, "You... you actually believe me, don't you? I'm not crazy, right?" After offering to keep watch, she sniffs a little and comes out of the stall to give her a hug, saying, "Thanks. Just gimmie a minute, and I'll calm down."

She returns to her stall, and as you glance towards her, you catch the faintest glimpse of someone in the mirror. You turn to see your... dad? He's just sitting and watching. Not you, though. He's watching something behind you. He's looking straight through you, in fact. You turn back around towards the mirrors, and the world blurs as you turn. You're no longer in the bathroom.

You're on a dirt road outside the cemetery, and it's apparently a funeral. By the clothes of the people in the procession, it's obviously not the present, but you're not sure how long ago it is. You can hear hammering on the casket lid and screams, but no one seems to pay it any mind. In fact, it's a normal procession. Until the walk past the cemetery, that is. They simply dump the box into a hole made near the levee and then dust their hands and walk off.

Your Dad is at your side now, and he's watching the spectacle with interest. After everyone else is gone, he finally appears to notice you, and he looks you in the eye, still all smiles and drawl, "You haven't delivered my message, yet. That's... unwise, honey. You said you would, and I didn't raise no liar. Now, do as I've asked before I have to chastise you."

You jerk awake. You've fallen asleep standing up. Toni is looking at you with a bit of concern herself, "You ok? It's almost time for our next class?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toby, Cynthia looks crestfallen, but Bernie shrugs and goes to pair up with someone else. Vicky's smile is acidic as she throws a glance over your shoulder, but she looks at you with a much nicer smile. "It's always nice to have a cute lab partner." She grabs you by the arm and pulls you to the desk. You notice she's been sketching all class, and you see she's actually pretty good. It's just mostly just whatever she's seen out the window. A tree there, a bird there. She closes it before you can see anything else.

"So, have you heard about the dance. Any idea what you're going to be for it?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
I struggle back awake. poo poo. poo poo. loving hell, Dad, you couldn't like, bitch at me about my clothes or my homework, could you. Oh no, I've gotta somehow introduce your creepy rear end to some girl I just met, who is almost certainly gonna think I'm batshit insane.

Right, gently caress, I'll worry about that poo poo later. "Nah, no, I'm okay. Sorry about that, wasn't jokin' when I said I'm tired as hell. Hah." I let Toni help me to my feet, feelin' kinda woozy after... whatever the gently caress that was. I shiver thinkin' about it. gently caress, I'm gonna see that in my nightmares, what the hell. As if I needed more poo poo to wake up screamin' about.

No saving my makeup job, so I just wipe it off. "Hope you're feelin' better. Don't worry, we'll figure it out." Force a smile, there ya go. "C'mon, let's get back to class. They're probably thinkin' we went off to do crack or somethin'."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, Cynthia looks crestfallen, but Bernie shrugs and goes to pair up with someone else. Vicky's smile is acidic as she throws a glance over your shoulder, but she looks at you with a much nicer smile. "It's always nice to have a cute lab partner." She grabs you by the arm and pulls you to the desk. You notice she's been sketching all class, and you see she's actually pretty good. It's just mostly just whatever she's seen out the window. A tree there, a bird there. She closes it before you can see anything else.

"So, have you heard about the dance. Any idea what you're going to be for it?"

"You're pretty cute yourself," he replies, smiling. He gives the book a brief glance before looking back at her. "Yeah, heard about it. Honestly... I'm no good with costumes. Might just show up as a responsible student, they're 'bout as fictional 'round here. How 'bout you? You as good with your costumes as you are with your sketches?" He moves to open the book again. "Hope you don't mind if I take a look?" He leans into her slightly - if this good Catholic girl wants to be touchy, he can do that, let her get close, into a chaste, not-quite hug.

Turn On Roll 2d6+1 = 10, taking a string on her, also 1 XP.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

slydingdoor posted:

Jamie whispers at the same volume, knowing the eavesdropper can hear, "This john thinks he can play bouncer and get an eyeful for free? In his dreams. I'm going to the 'powder room.'"

Oh. Ah. I see. Benjamin's leer puts a rather different connotation on what Jamie was saying. He is providing an adequate screen behind which to indulge myself, and clearly he would be intrigued rather then repelled by what he assumes is some kind of Sapphic display of affection. Jamie leans in to whisper again and her slender, smooth flesh is so close to my mouth...

Hold Steady to resist feeding: 2d6+2 10

I'll hold one forward for the scene

No! I am not such a beast as to take advantage of this kind, strange girl in public. Not today. The hunger slinks back into whatever pit it resides in in my belly. It can afford to be patient a little longer. I whisper back to Jamie: "Go ahead, I can deal with our friend here." Maybe she meant for me to join her, but I do not wish to give Benjamin the satisfaction of imagining that we...well. I fix him with a steely glare, but keep my mouth shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, the two of you walk past Jamie on her way towards the bathroom, and as you walk in, Mrs. Devoreaux demands to know where the two of you were. Toni clams up as she locks eyes on Magdalene What do you do?

Toby, she pulls the book back but edging a little closer to you. She says with mirth in her eyes, "'Mind if I take a look at your etchings?' You should be careful with that line, Toby; it's an antique." She pauses, and adds, "Although, I'm sure we could find something for you to wear. I think you'd make a good Indiana Jones."

Magdalene, Benjamin is obviously disappointed. He was hoping for a show, but he walks off, dejected. Anastaise and Toni walk back into the room, and Toni's eyes lock on you. She doesn't look afraid, per se. More staring a hole in you, as if daring you to do something. What do you do?

Elizabeth, Cynthia comes over and asks to be your group member, but Bonnie says, "You're the one who ditched your friend for a boy. Don't come crawling back just because you struck out with Toby." She starts to walk off to find another person, sniffing. What do you do?

• Locked thread