Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Jamie Reeves
I stop his lips with my two fingers and stand up. "You made me dinner, so I'll give you a show. But the rules are no touching, and no pictures." I smell and sip my rum as a timer for my dance, showing him how to slow down and enjoy things with new eyes, not just rush to the conclusion. When I finish the glass, I'm topless behind my right arm. Then I turn around and pick up my stuff, ready to go.

"I had a great time Davis, maybe next time we can show each other more. I'll be at the party tonight!"

Hold Steady to Dance: 2d6+2 9
I keep my cool.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
If Jeanine wanted to talk to him, she would absolutely be here, and giving him that look that says 'shelve all your plans, this is important'. But she's not, so he won't.

"Nah, nothing really. You wanna go get some coffee or something? I know a decent place not that far from here. Its owner was an old friend of my dad, and I bet you he'd give a discount, maybe even some free stuff, if I walked in alongside a pretty face like yours. Might make some people jealous." These pick up lines might be cheesy, but a little helping charm and a roguish smile can go a long way.

Turn On 2d6+1 = 5.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, he flushes when you stop him, embarrassed. He's already starting to apologize as you explain what's going to happen. His flush spreads over his entire face, but he just sits back and nods. After you pick up your things, he walks you out, saying, "So, I'll... uh... see you tonight."

Toby, she rolls her eyes but giggles, nodding. Well, that could have gone worse. As you're walking off campus with her, you brush her arm and your vision swims. As you open your eyes, it's dark, but you can see the silhouettes of trees. You hear gunshots and yelling, followed by an earthshaking roar. You turn to your side as you climb to your feet and you find yourself staring into Vicky's dead face. Her features are stretched in to a mask of horror. She's obviously been savaged by something with feral strength.

"Toby? Where are we going? Left or right?" You're back on the street in the late afternoon, and Vicky had cocked her head in confusion and concern. "Are you feeling ok?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Magdalene DuRousseau
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: Suspicious

Benjamin and I make our way across the city to the Treme, where he assures me that a band will be playing at the Candlelight Lounge despite the early hour. Part of the way we travel by bus, and then a short walk to the venue. From the outside it is small, cheaply decorated, and has clearly seen far better days. He notices my incredulous look and hurries to reassure me.

"Hey, I know it looks like a dive. Hell, it is a dive. But the bouncers know me, the drinks are cheap, and the bands are always kicking."

True to his word, the doorman has no issue with allowing entry to a pair of clearly underage students. Inside is dark and smells of smoke and spilled alcohol. There is a small crowd listening to a jazz band (intense syncopated rhythms, a great deal of improvisation and gusto replacing smooth rehearsed performance. I was appalled the first time I was confronted with a performance, but now I find it exciting.) and Benjamin and I are able to find a secluded corner booth. He goes to the bar and returns with a bottle of clear spirit and two small glasses, sits down next to me and pours a measure into each glass. I smile at him. If he thinks plying me with liquor will make me more receptive to his advances...well, we shall see. I raise my glass and look him in the eye.

"Je vais faire un toast: A votre santé!"

I drain my glass and the spirit burns all the way down. Not enough to make me hesitate, although in life it probably would have had me on the floor crying. I hold the glass to my lips a little longer than necessary, and put it down closer to his hand than I needed to, brushing his skin with mine. He is very warm.

Turn on Benjamin: 2d6+2 12

Taking a string on Benji, marking xp for rolling Cold

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 14, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, Benjamin shivers as you touch him. "You're cold as ice, babe." He moves to put an arm around you and pull you closer in.

A bit later in the band's performance, a voice comes from the next booth, "Is that- It is! Benjamin! I've been looking for you! We've missed you around here." Benjamin rolls his eyes, but his easy grin shows that he was expecting, even looking forward to this. A taller man, one who could obviously walk in here legally, comes and take a seat on the other side of Benjamin. He's wearing a grey suit with a blue collared shirt. It's not a particularly fancy suit, but from what you've read about modern fashions, it's more than presentable. He then looks over to you, and grins at Benjamin. "Man, how'd you convince such a fine lady to come with a dog like you? Hell, I've had you pegged as gay for years!" Benjamin punches him on the arm, but it's obvious he wasn't really offended. Benjamin introduces you to Joshua, and he shakes your hand.

He flicks his eyes towards you, Magdalene, and asks Benjamin, "So, is she cool?" Benjamin pauses for a moment, glancing at you, unsure of how to respond. What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 15, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

"Cooler than cool. What did you just say, Benjamin? Ice cold?"

There had been a song with lyrics like that, popular around the time I first escaped my coffin. Hopefully they still work in this context. We are nearly a third of the way through the bottle, and I suspect I have had the lions share. I should probably be nearly unconscious, but instead I feel merely light headed and sociable enough that this man intruding upon my conversation with Benjamin is not an annoyance. To emphasis my point I lean against my would-be paramour and blow cool air across the back of his neck.

"If you are need to discuss Benjamin's business with him I assure you I am the soul of discretion."

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 14, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson, the Hollow
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

AdjectiveNoun posted:

As she goes, he looks at Elizabeth. "...Oh, hey. Er, you're going to Cynthia's party, right? I've been meaning to talk to you, like, privately. Mind if we do that tonight?"

I wondered what was going on. What could Toby want with me. Surely most of his interest should be better focussed on Cynthia. Still what harm could one private chat do? "Um., sure I'll see you then."

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth Anderson, you haven't seen Bonnie since you saw her run off to the bathroom, and good riddance. Cynthia asks you to come with her to help get some things for the party. Apparently, you're back in her good graces. What does she want to get that doesn't make any sense?

Some of the party equipment made little sense but a few whispered explanations from Cynthia reassured me. A music system is apparently essential ("People need something to dance to.") As were some cheap snacks ("people will be getting hungry") A Bonfire ("people will get cold.") But why did we need to buy some "special party supplies" from one of Cynthia's friends a senior at the school. He assured us though that anyone who used his "supplies" would have a very pleasant party and in his odd idiom "he had customers lining up around the block who could prove it." Still Cynthia seemed happy to have that innocuous brown stuff. He did offer some other "party supplies" as free samples of his "product" but Cynthia was for some reason anxious to decline.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 1/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

Too harsh? I mean, that was pretty much the absolute worst thing that happened. Should I have perhaps taken a less vomit inducing example? I don't know. Maybe she'll learn something. Or maybe she'll ask her parents to put her in another school. Maybe that is the best for everyone? gently caress it. She's given it her best effort. And she had other poo poo on her mind. She excused herself from school. Even with the worst of the sewage gone, she did not relish spending the rest of the day smelling of sewage.

It gave her some time to gather her wits. Four people to talk to. Raoul's talk would take them to the church, that would be a while. Toby might also be eager to spring into action when he heard the news, not do that first. I'll go find Anastasia. Luke stuff might be less urgent. And who knows what's going on there.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
When Jeanine arrives, I'm sittin' in the parking lot, waitin' for my ride home. Mom works until four so it'll be a while. I can see Simon across the way, and I'm thinking: should I go over to talk to him? I mean... gently caress, Vicky's basically throwin' herself at Toby over there, Simon might be feelin' just as lovely as I am. I mean, history and math were pretty smooth sailin' since, you know, we didn't do poo poo except the syllabus and whatever. But ever since that poo poo went down at lunch, I've had this icy chill in my throat, despite the fact it's like a million motherfuckin' degrees in the school. So yeah, I just can't bring myself to look anybody in the eyes, let alone a cute guy like that. Simon and Vicky can sort their own poo poo out for now, I'll deal with it later.

Anyway.

I'd heard Jeanine cut out the last half, dunno why, so it's, well, I guess I should call it 'lucky' that she's back. Sure as gently caress doesn't feel lucky.

"Jeanine, hey. Enjoy your vacation?" I offer her a seat next to me on the bench. I've spent the past couple of hours tryin' to figure out how to explain this poo poo and haven't come up with a goddamn thing. I sigh irritably. "So, this is probably gonna sound crazy as gently caress, so sorry for that, but I made a promise and, whatever, I gotta do what I gotta do, so here goes. I dunno if you noticed, but poo poo around here is gettin' seriously fuckin' weird right now. And... I think it's my fault. You see, like... I met this guy." She gives me a look. "No, not like that that, he's my -- he's like fifty something. He's... he's... gently caress, I don't even know, somethin' I can't even explain. But I think he's connected to all this... whatever. In a big goddamn way. I feel like somehow, my meetin' him got all this poo poo started."

I turn to look at her. What do I even know about this girl? She's buddies with Jamie and Toby I think but that's all I've got. gently caress. "And the weirdest part is, he knows you. Your name at least. Says he knew your... aunt?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix

The question about the sewer gets a reply of "Don't ask." with my most discouraging look. I don't actually take the seat. I want to encourage Anastasia to be quick about whatever important thing she has to say, because I have a lot on my plate right now. When she talks about things getting weird, But there's lots of 'weird' she can be talking about. And I briefly think this is just boy troubles, but then she mentions my aunt. I'm reminded she... spotted me doing preparations. Could she have spread the rumors? I'm getting a lot of vague stuff. Like someone might toss if they're trying to get information about someone.

I fold my arms. "My aunt knew a lot of people." I say. "Does this mystery man have a name?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, Johnathan shakes his head, laughing, "'The soul of discretion?' Man, Benjamin, where'd a bum like you find a classy lady like this?" A flicker of real annoyance flashes across Benjamin's face, but his voice remains unchanged from its easy, casual tone, "So, what do you have for me? Gotta make rent by the end of the week." Johnathan grunts and comes out with some orange bottles with white caps. Each bottle is filled wit white pills. "Figured since you're going to a fancy rich kid school, you could get there early and move these." Benjamin looks at them and nods, apparently impressed.

Johnathan then slides a little bag across the table with small white, perforated strips. Benjamin looks more skeptically at this, but Johnathan said, "They're going to be a party in the park tonight, so I figured some of the guests might need some party favors." Benjamin still looks skeptical, but Johnathan shrugs and says, "Hey, if they're too straightlaced, just bring it back." Johnathan jerks his head in your direction and says, "Hers is on me. Figure you need all the help you can get to keep her hanging around you." Turning to look at you this time, he says in a faux-solemn voice, "It was a pleasure, my dear. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, our door is open." Benjamin grumbles something that might resemble goodbye, and shoves the stuff in his pockets.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 15, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
I squirm unhappily. The... is it really the truth? is on my lips but it just sounds so goddamn stupid in my head, I can't fuckin' say that... "I, look, I can't explain. The only way you'll believe me is... if I show you." A shiver runs down my spine, but I can't back out of this now. "After the party, meet me by the big white fountain on the edge of the park. Then you'll understand." I stand up to leave; thinkin' about all the implications of what I just said is beyond me right now.

"And his name... is Saturday."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix

Saturday...

I feel the warmth drain away form my face. Baron Samedi. The expression on my face, I'm aware, torpedoes any attempts I might have made to pretend this is just nothing. Just that name, and a promise of a meeting later. And she moves to walk off.

I reach out to grab her arm. Making sure to lock eyes with her. "If this a joke. If this is some Halloween prank, or some theme of this party tonight for Halloween, you better tell me now. Because this poo poo is dangerous, to both of us. I won't be angry or anything. But if this is a joke, there will be more than me to be worried about."

You don't call Baron Samedi lightly. I'm sort of hoping this is some kind of joke. But if I'm honest, unless Anastasia here is a real good actress, I'm pretty afraid not.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5  Terrified
I laugh, cold and humorless. "A joke? Don't I fuckin' wish." I pull away, averting my eyes. She's basically just confirmed I'm not crazy... and suddenly I'm thinkin' I preferred it when I thought I was. "The fountain, after the party. Jeanine, I'm... I'm sorry I got you involved in this poo poo."

I limp away, leaving her to think what she wants of me.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I let go of her. "I'll see you there."

Those last words driving me to anger. Not at Anastasia, no. At myself, at ... all this poo poo. 'Sorry to get you involved?' I'm the only one who's supposed to get involved here. If the spirits have something to say, I'm supposed to know. I'm supposed to prevent they gently caress with other people, except when called for.

All right,, that will wait till this evening. For now... Luke. I make my way over to the bike racks. Trying not to show how bad my mood is getting on my face. I was never the best at these kind of things.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth, you're with Cynthia, picking up some chips for the party tonight when you get a call. Excusing yourself to take it, you answer to find your mother in tears. She asks where you are, so she can come pick you up. You need to come home, so you can have a family talk. You explain to Cynthia that she'll have to finish without you. She looks concerned, but doesn't pry.

Your mother stops by about ten minutes later to pick you up in her beat up van. She pulled herself together by this point and offers Cynthia a ride, but she politely declines. She doesn't want to answer any questions, as she wants your father to be there for this as well. Soon enough, she pulls up at the wreckage of your old two story home. As if the flood waters weren't bad enough, a tree has crashed through the middle of the house, exposing everything inside to the elements.

The three of you crowd around the dinner table in the trailer on the lawn, and your father finally spits it out. "The construction company that is repairing our house just said they don't have any records of our agreements, so we got bumped to the bottom of the list. We're going" her voice cracks here" to be stuck in this trailer for at least another month."
Your mother begins to cry again, and your father holds her tight against him, saying, "It'll be all right. Let's just remember how lucky we are. We're all together, safe and sound."

Anastaise, as you round the corner from Jeanine, you feel as if a spring inside of you that had been ready to snap was suddenly released. A voice whispers in your ear, "That's my good girl. I knew I didn't raise no liar. Now, what have we learned from this?"

Jeanine, you've got a lot on your mind as you track Luke down. He's waiting with Raoul, shooting the poo poo. Raoul starts to pick up his things to leave, but Luke interrupts him, saying, "Hey, before you run off with her, I just gotta have a quick word." He cocks his head to the side, then rolls his eyes as he thinks he understands. "Yeah, there's that party tonight. Good luck, loverboy." Luke hits him on the arm but doesn't say anything to disabuse him of the notion as he walks over to you.

"So, uh, I know this is a little unusual, but... look. I live near the St Louis Cemetery, right? Something keeps moving around, taking things, leaving things late at night." He sees your skeptical look and sighs, "No, it isn't some person doing it. This thing is fast, all right? I was on the track team at my last school, and this thing burned me like it was nothing. It even leaped over one of the mausoleums. Those things are a good 8 feet high, easy."

Jamie, how do you think your performance went? What did he do that made you feel beautiful? What did he do that feel like the freak you fear you are?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 14, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, you've got a lot on your mind as you track Luke down. He's waiting with Raoul, shooting the poo poo. Raoul starts to pick up his things to leave, but Luke interrupts him, saying, "Hey, before you run off with her, I just gotta have a quick word." He cocks his head to the side, then rolls his eyes as he thinks he understands. "Yeah, there's that party tonight. Good luck, loverboy." Luke hits him on the arm but doesn't say anything to disabuse him of the notion as he walks over to you.

"So, uh, I know this is a little unusual, but... look. I live near the St Louis Cemetery, right? Something keeps moving around, taking things, leaving things late at night." He sees your skeptical look and sighs, "No, it isn't some person doing it. This thing is fast, all right? I was on the track team at my last school, and this thing burned me like it was nothing. It even leaped over one of the mausoleums. Those things are a good 8 feet high, easy."
Jeanine Delacroix

You know, this might surprise you, but this... this is actually something to improve my mood. I was kind of expecting more... self-centered questions. If he knew of my aunt, and what she does, he might ask to curse his enemies, he might have asked healing relatives, he might ask for assistance in his love life. Nothing bad, nothing I wouldn't even consider doing, depending on the exact wish even. But it's just that he found something dangerous, and he comes to me to deal with it.

That's how it should be. I am the Mambo of the French Quarter. These are matters I deal with. Even if it turns out to have another explanation - And with all that's going on, I wouldn't mind - it's a good feeling. Things that mess with graveyards are pretty sure to piss off the Ghede and... oh... oh, that might explain Baron Samedi's involvement.

So I just nod. "It's good that you told me, Luke. I'll do what's needed about it. Don't try anything yourself okay. You might get badly hurt." I smile at him. It's not something I do often. "You're a good guy Luke, you know that?"

Turn on Luke: 2d6-1 4

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, how do you think your performance went? What did he do that made you feel beautiful? What did he do that made you feel like the freak you fear you are?
Jamie Reeves
I did okay. My body did what I wanted it to do, but... Well, the closest I felt to beautiful is when he spent a little while lost in my eyes, before they went back to my ribs and my collarbone and hand and elbow between them. He was so flushed and excited, but I was just a little proud of a job well done and having closed an equitable transaction. In the green movie, Bernie was excited by her own body, what she was doing with it, and what effect it had on her partner, and the emotions flowed back and forth, building on each other, making this whirlpool...

I didn't feel anything. I don't feel anything.

I have to meet up with Mags now, then Jeanine. On the way to meet her and possibly bail her out of her date, I test out the baby electric eel machine I bought, hearing it crackle. For a second I imagine testing it on myself.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, you're with Cynthia, picking up some chips for the party tonight when you get a call. Excusing yourself to take it, you answer to find your mother in tears. She asks where you are, so she can come pick you up. You need to come home, so you can have a family talk. You explain to Cynthia that she'll have to finish without you. She looks concerned, but doesn't pry.

Your mother stops by about ten minutes later to pick you up in her beat up van. She pulled herself together by this point and offers Cynthia a ride, but she politely declines. She doesn't want to answer any questions, as she wants your father to be there for this as well. Soon enough, she pulls up at the wreckage of your old two story home. As if the flood waters weren't bad enough, a tree has crashed through the middle of the house, exposing everything inside to the elements.

The three of you crowd around the dinner table, and your father finally spits it out. "The construction company that is repairing our house just said they don't have any records of our agreements, so we got bumped to the bottom of the list. We're going" her voice cracks here" to be stuck in this trailer for at least another month."
Your mother begins to cry again, and your father holds her tight against him, saying, "It'll be all right. Let's just remember how lucky we are. We're all together, safe and sound."

I sat and watched awkwardly as my parents embraced. Displays of conspicuous emotion were amongst the things I still found uncomfortable. A hug in particular appeared to have so many different meanings this one I judged to be a number 27. Concern covering buried anger. Eager to interject my own reassurances I responded. "Dad's right, it could be worse and at least we didn't lose anyone to the flood and we have a place to stay." I ignored the strange look that passed between them and went on. "By the way which construction company is it that's supposed to be doing the work? Perhaps their is some way to appeal it, convince them to move us back up the list."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, he doesn't like you asking him to stay out of the way. You remember that his mom was buried there, and that's how he probably found out about whatever is stalking around. He grits his teeth and says, "If that's what you need to take care of business, I'll do it. Just make sure you take it down."

He doesn't seem to hear you when you complement him. He just nods and says, "Yeah, yeah. Raoul is waiting on ya."

Raoul has packed all his things up and is ready to go. While you walk over to the church, he gives you a brief rundown of the history. One thing of note is that, since it was built so high off the ground, it has a crypt below the church proper, a unique trait in the area. While you're walking over, he asks if you were going to the party tonight. He wasn't planning on it, personally, but he's curious.

The church looms high over the surrounding buildings. Even the partially cleaned flood water line doesn't make it all the way up the steps. Most of the windows have boards over them, but one of the good things about stone construction is that it takes a lot to really tear it down. As you enter, you see that most of the stained glass windows were blown out. A few of the pews near the windows have been torn up, as the rain water most likely ruined them. But, all things considered, it really weathered the storm well. You see a set of stairs down into the crypt right next to the sanctuary, all the way on the other side of the church.

Raoul says he'll be right back and goes to rows of devotional candles in front of a large, painted statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe. He kneels down, places a dollar in the collection box, and lights a candle before folding his hands in prayer. A young priest (If he says he's older than 30, you'll call him a liar) ambushes you in the entrance hall. He looks you up and down before sniffing a little in faint disapproval. He then places a mask of concern and empathy over his features. He says, "Can I help you with anything, my child?"

Elizabeth, your dad says, "I tried, honey. But the folks over at Titan weren't having any of it."

Yep. That's one of the ones Bonnie mentioned her dad owned.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, your dad says, "I tried, honey. But the folks over at Titan weren't having any of it."

Yep. That's one of the ones Bonnie mentioned her dad owned.

Titan. One of the companies owned by Bonnie's parents. Suddenly the pieces of the puzzle began to fit. Bonnie in a fit of anger had decided to take out her frustrations not just on me but on my parents as well. Something within me rose to the surface an old instinct perhaps or maybe an old memory from.... before. Someone calling me a fool for letting them get away. Well this time I would not make the same mistake again. If Bonnie was stupid enough to attend our little get together I would show her the error of her ways and this time, this time she would not walk away unscathed, She would learn her lesson and learn it well.

Some small fragment of me told me my thoughts were wrong, extreme, but another part of me whispered seductively "take her show her your power." "Are you ok honey? you're awfully quiet." a voice intruded into my reverie. Dad. I chose a fake smile carefully copied from Cynthia "Sorry dad I was just thinking about tonight's party. I have a lot to do to be ready for it."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

He didn't like that. I feel a bit of a stab of pain at that. And... I was wondering if he was going to invite me to the party. I mean, I should probably be there, because things are going to go down, but I won't have time for lovey dovey stuff. But it would have been nice to have someone want it. But it is unsafe for him, and who needs boys drooling all over them. I'll let the fish and Bernie have that. If he got involved and got killed, that would be on me. And Auntie told me that you should avoid deaths on you whenever you can. Because they tend to mount up.

So, I go with Raoul, and I mention that I am probably going. Honestly, if it was just going and looking, I probably would have bailed on this little church expedition. Got plenty to deal with for now, without stirring things up at this church. But if I flake on him, who knows if I'll get someone on the inside again, or if he's going to tell me the other things that he knows. Didn't get a chance to put a test hex on him, but with everything going on, the least I need now is escalating this. Just having a good look around will do for now. When Raoul goes to light the candles, I walk in a bit further. Maybe get an eye around. See if there's anything that might tell me what's going on here.

Of course, then the priest is on me pretty quickly. Young too. And despite that friendly smile, he does not seem to think much of me. Worried that I'll steal from the offering plate or something? Best not let him catch wind of that I know it. Just smile back nervously like the usual one who doesn't go to church. "Oh, eh... I'm here with Raoul. You know, with... everything that's happened... we talked about, well, people's histories in the city. My family's been in New Orleans since forever. And so is this church. And he invited me along."

No need to lie when a partial truth is perfectly serviceable.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

I may be from a less sophisticated time but I am not quite the naif I make myself out to be, and I have had some time to adjust to the realities of modern society. I do have some idea that Benjamin is involved in a kind of illicit snake oil trade, selling what used to be 'cure-alls' or 'tonics' but which stern policemen call 'drugs' when they speak of them to students at all. It really isn't any concern of mine, and I am hardly likely to go running to Patrolman J. Landrey and inform on anyone. Even so, it will bear keeping an eye on. Johnathon has not-so-subtly dismissed us, and I mentally file away his invitation to return for later. I have to make my rendezvous with Jamie, so I give some excuses and a promise to speak at the party to Benjamin and we part ways with a faux-chaste embrace, and a kiss on his check. I can feel his eyes on me as I walk away.

En tant que mère m'a dit , un chien en laisse.

The abandoned building Jamie and I have arranged to meet at is not far, and I am not much overdue when I arrive. I did not use my telephone to signal for help - the thing confuses and enrages me at the best of times, and I only have one because it seems everyone else does. Jamie is standing in a corner, staring intently at a harsh blue light that makes a crackling noise. A little lightning in a bottle, to make our meeting with Jeanine go smoothly.

"Jamie, ma jolie dauphine, is all in readiness?"

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
Sounds like she couldn't tell a dolphin's sex...

I hit send, "Ma choute du Roux, she should be on her way!" Then we send her another as we planned, and wait on the lookout. To pass the time I ask, "How was your date?" I sniff, "Smells like you guys had a few!"

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 14, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

I sniff curiously at my breath. Yes, the curious smell that spirits make is very evident.

"Well, the boy is a rogue and a rake, but he has his charms. I fear he may have been disappointed that I can hold my drink as well as I do, but he hid it well. He has some...colourful friends, but the music was first class."

No need to mention the drugs, I think. Jamie has never really shown any interest in that sort of thing to my knowledge.

"And what about your little tete a tete with the irrepressible M. Lambreaux? Is he as fine a cook as he claims? Did he blow his horn for you?"

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I turn a little red. "Nobody blew anything... He cooked for me--the food was also 'first class'--I danced for him. Nothing else to it. If you ever want to savor a little bit of perfect food for a change, you should hit him up."

shut down mags: 2d6+2 6

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 0/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: Suspicious

I laugh and do my best to look innocent and aggrieved.

"Oh, I was only suggesting he might have played his saxophone for you. Whatever else could you mean?"

I cannot stop myself from grinning. Well, if she wanted not to be teased she should not look so pretty when she blushes.

While we wait for Jeanine and chat idly I find myself considering food. Jamie's fault again, she should not have mentioned a perfect meal. The party tonight would be a terrible time to lose control, and so I should make sure to feed on at least something. Sometimes the hunger itself has good instincts in this regard, and now seems as good a time as any to listen for advice.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 4

Marking XP

Bah, nothing but complaints. Useless urge, pull your weight.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 1/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Not long enough, but... yeah, that could have gone worse - at least she giggled and didn't just excuse herself or anything. His arm brushes hers, skin contact for just a second...

And he almost staggers, once the vision's passed, staring at her as if to make certain she is still alive, and he nods once she asks if he's okay. "I'm fine, just... I think I must've hit my head when Liz tackled, me, just got a little dizzy for a bit. We've got to take a... left, here." He smiles again as he heads that way, thinking about what he just saw.

Trees, and darkness... His instincts say that must be the party at the park, and something real serious is going to go down. It's a good thing he's going, but he needs to figure out a way to get everyone out of there, before... whatever that was that's going to tear into Vicky shows up. He'll definitely need to contact Jamie and Jeanine before then, just send off some texts while Vicky's not around.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5  Terrified
It's himmm I swallow the instinct to freak out, as well as the instinct to bitch him out for bein' such a cocksucker. gently caress it, he's right; that was way easier than I was thinkin' it was gonna be. "What did I learn? I learned... gently caress, I guess I --" I realize I'm talkin' to the fuckin' sky and quickly dig my phone out of my purse so I can at least look sane. The boy across the street was lookin' at me like I'm a goddamn alien. "Er, sorry. I guess I learned that, like... people aren't as lovely as I think they are. Even when I'm freakin' out."

"But that's not what you wanna hear, is it. You want me to say I learned to trust you, and I ain't learned that for poo poo. Not yet. I did what I promised, I'm gonna bring her... there. But Dad, Jeanine's my friend, I can't do this to her if she's gonna get hurt or... or..." A shudder of fear runs up my spine, and I shove it back down. "So, I mean, I held up my end, so it's only fair you hold up yours. Promise me she'll be safe tonight, okay? You say you didn't raise a liar, so don't make me regret tellin' the truth."

Manipulate Dad: 2d6+2 14 :smugdog:

megane fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 15, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, your Hunger roars in the cage you've put it in, but the bars do not yield. Your flesh, on the other hand, does, and a little more of the skin on your stomach flops loose. In your close conversation, Jamie hears both the gurgling of your stomach and sees the loose skin fall out from under your blouse.
Magdalene takes a string on Jamie

Jeanine, the priest seems to weigh that, and finds it acceptable. His features don't change, but he relaxes from his stiff, formal self. He says, "Yes, we've had a lot of lapsed faithfull returning home recently. Let me show you around. As he points out particular interesting features of the church, he starts talking about the history of the church. It's pretty much what Raoul told you, although he mentions that Monsignor Gris was the pastor here years ago. That's interesting. He starts to discuss the crypt below the church when your phone starts madly beeping as you get a torrent of messages. The priest gives you a sidelong look, displeased that you didn't turn it on silent when you came in. Stupid cell towers are pretty spotty, so when you get a signal, you'll get anything that you've missed. 4 messages, all from the Fish, at first glance.

32 minutes ago: "I found what took the bites. Bring my pelt to the Worldwide Shipping, Inc, Warehouse #12 at the riverfront."
17 minutes ago: "sdfitmcxe"
15 minutes ago:"Hello there. My new friend here seem to think you have something of mine, and I'd like it returned. I haven't harmed your friend. Yet. Come alone and we can exchange presents."
2 minutes ago: "Well? I'm waiting."

What do you do?

Anastaise, he just laughs for the longest while. If he were human, he'd have stopped for breath a long time ago, but well, he ain't. You walk for blocks listening to him laugh, and by the fourth block, he's pulled himself back together, "Woman after my own heart. Honest, but don't take poo poo from no one, not even your ol' daddy. Just like your mother. I can't promise that I won't hurt her, but I can give you the next best thing. If she shows me the respect I'm owed, I won't lay a finger on her." He pauses before adding with a leer (which is an impressive feat in itself, since you can't actually see him), "Unless she asks for it, of course. After all, she's quite a looker herself."

Elizabeth, from past experience, your parents know that they can't keep you from going out if you want, but they ask you to run a few errands before you go out for the night. They seem like reasonable requests, so you agree. Cynthia's probably already done the party prep anyway. While you're running errands, what do you see that you know you just have to have?

Toby, you and Vicky have a pleasant coffee. What favor does the owner do for you to impress Vicky, aside from the free coffee? Who do you end up seeing that you wish you didn't?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 15, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I gasp, "Maggie!" and try to lift her blouse and push the skin back in place. It doesn't work. "I-I can try to sew it up before she gets here. We'll get you something to eat soon, I promise. Whatever you want."

I throw down my backpack, kneel down, and rifle through it for fishing line and a hook that can fill in for a stitching needle. I get the sixth sense suspicion that she's looking down my shirt.

I look up and confirm it. That doesn't surprise me. I feel like Bernie. That does.

"W-what are you gonna do?"

Turn on suspicious Mags: 2d6 9

Spending a string to offer Mags XP to admit what she meant by "more than a meal."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 15, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 0/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: Suspicious

Well, this is absolutely mortifying. Not only is my body betraying me in this abhorrent fashion and advertising it as loudly as it can, Jamie has decided to undress me as part of the appropriate response. I don't dare look at my stomach in case I see my gizzards looking back, so I fix my eyes on Jamie as she sorts through her pack. Why couldn't she be wearing something a little more becoming? That shirt leaves very little to the imagination, tender lean flesh on clear display, just for me. And then that offer:

slydingdoor posted:

"We'll get you something to eat soon, I promise. Whatever you want."

"I...want to take you up on your offer from earlier."

Yes, congratulations Magdalena, as romantic as a brick through a window.

"Just a small bite, anywhere you like. It will hurt, a little. But then you can do what you like, and...we could...dance? When I said you were more than just a meal I meant it. More than a friend as well."

Magdelena is choosing to give herself to Jamie, and spending a string to offer Jamie xp to allow her to feed in a non-life threatening and sexy fashion

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"There's no need... to ask." I don't need to ask any questions either, I know where she wants to bite me. I guide her there with my fingers in her hair in case this is the time she loses control.

It makes me want to sing.

Teamwork! Let's level up. I'm taking this.

quote:

Siren Song
When you’re soaking wet, you can sing
a haunting song and roll with cold.
On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you, though a
character that takes harm will stop
suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.
• On a 7-9, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you until they would
face harm or physical danger, and then
they choose:
S press forward and take the harm,
S or stop suddenly and gain the
Condition dazed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 0/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions: Suspicious

Taking this advance on leveling

Satiety posted:

When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
} heal one harm;
} remove a Condition;
} mark experience;
} carry 1 forward.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, you guide Magdalene's head towards your thigh. She kisses up your knee and then stops on your lower thigh. She smells your skin, as if inhaling a fine wine. And then she chomps down.

You bite your lip to keep from crying out, and she whispers something you can't make out.

And your vision goes black. The Ocean has pulled you deep into its depths. The currents are shaping themselves into images. It's Magdalene before she was the creature before you. Back when she was a carefree teenager. Before she was buried alive.
The Ocean whispers to you, "A man, long, long ago hurt your lover. He took her while she slept in an unnatural sleep."
Mercifully, the currents only reform to show you the man as he's walking away. It looks like they were at a masquerade ball of some kind. As he walks away, he drops the mask, and you see his face.
Before you return to yourself, you learn to hate that face.

Take one harm, and roll to hold steady
Hold Steady vs suspicious Mags who I need to prove is the corpse biter: 2d6+4 11, carrying one forward
Take a string on Jonathan Marlby

Magdalene, as your head lowers, your Hunger realizes that you could feast on her years. Decades, even. You just need to keep her all for yourself. You shove the thought aside and take a small bite from her inner thigh. And just like that, the Hunger is silenced.
What does her flesh taste like? After living with it for so long, what is it like to have the Hunger sated, if only for a short time?

Having sex with Jamie is now one of you hungers.
Technically, you got the move before you fed, so Satiety is triggered.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 15, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 0/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

She tastes like...it is difficult to describe exactly. Filling and strong like steak, light and salted like fresh-caught fish, crisp like an apple, smooth like silk. A complexity of textures and smells that makes even the most delicate soup seem like day-old gruel. As I kiss around the wound I have created in her thigh the Hunger tries to grasp for more, but with a thought I push it aside and return all my attention to Jamie. The sudden silence in my belly is shocking in its own way, like reaching the end of a violent movement in a symphony. I can think and feel and act without the constant need to worry about maintaining my control. Freedom, mixed with vertigo - like jumping from a great height must feel. Maybe the fall will hurt, but for now I am flying.

Removing the condition Suspicious

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
That sick man. Just like the sick person from the video. Maybe they're the same villain behind different masks and in a different eras. I think about what to say to Mags while I stitch her up, ironically after she opened me up.

"Mags. After we're done here, we have to talk--it didn't hurt or anything, there's something else. Now hide somewhere and I'll be the bait."

I lie down in plain sight, with my leg wound visible from Jeanine's approach. I'll whisper to her when she comes to investigate, "....Look...familiar...?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, just as your father's voice fades away, you feel something break inside you. A promise. Someone broke a promise to you. You think about it for a moment, and you instantly know. Magdalene. She hurt Jamie! Toni were right. She can't be trusted.
Take a string on Magdalene

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

FUUUUCK. I manage to look embarassed pretty eaisly, mostly because I am. "Eh... sorry, It might be an emergency."

Oh poo poo.

It is.

"I'm... I'm really sorry. I need to go right now. Could you tell Raoul I'm sorry, I don't want to interrupt his prayers."

And without really waiting for an answer, I'm off. That's not likely to go down well, but there's a time and place to worry about that. The fish found it, and it found her. And now it's in danger. What. That was the idea the whole time, wasn't it? To have it take the risks. Now, just call Toby, and go in hard. If we do it quickly, it'll survive. Going alone? That's stupid. Most likely we'd both end up on milk cartons.

I type in a message to Toby. 'Jamy spotted monster at Worldwide Shipping, Inc, Warehouse #12'. I just need to click send. It's the smart thing. I mean, it's not even sure the fish actually found it. It's at the waterfront. It might just be hoping that I'll bring the pelt and then it'll drown me.

But if she dies. It's my fault.

It dies. It isn't supposed to be here. You owe it nothing. Maybe the error was to allowing it to walk around here anyway.

I find a solitary spot. next to the waters The message to Toby, goes unsent, but saved, just in case. Rather, the message goes to Jamie's phone. 'I'll come. Hurt her and the destruction of your property will be just the start'

Sent.

First I'm counseling Bonnie, now this. I scowl in disgust. When did I turn into such a loving softie? But first... I need some advice. I find an alley that looks quiet enough, and take a particular bag out of my school pack. It's got some hair. It's got the letter. It's got the silver locket. I use some chalk to draw the proper Veve's. First a small Papa Legba as an opening to be allowed to contact the spirit world. Then I draw the next Veve. Met Agwé. Mostly the god of fisherman and sailors. But if one is struck by indecision, he's also the one to offer advice. I take out my rattle, and hum the music rather than singing it out. And at the right moment, a small glass of champagne gets offered to the seas. "How should I handle Jamie being in danger?"

Loa Ritual to gaze into the abyss: 2d6+2 5 Whoops, did I do something to piss off the loa of the seas perhaps? But I mark XP for dark

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, as you finish the ritual, you get the now comforting feeling of not being alone in the alley. You hear a voice, the normally friendly voice of Met Agwe, angrily whisper in your ear, "I don't deal with slavers. Find your own chattel." You feel teeth begin to close on your arm, but they stop before they break the skin. The spirit says, "I'll spare you this time, child. But don't ask me anything like this again."

After he leaves, you get a text from Raoul. "everything ok?"

• Locked thread