Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR:

- Discussion and sharing about the current Bad Game of the Month

- Reviews of bad games

- Bad game news (giveaways, sales, sequels, developer meltdowns)

- Bein chill hangin out and talkin about bad games

WHAT THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR:

- Slagging a popular game you don't like

- Starting fights about bad games

- Bein not very chill at all

Oh dear what is this thread it says Bad Games
Welcome to the official Bad Games thread! Some of us wanted a place to hang out and talk about bad games in general, whether it be making fun of them, trying to find some good in them, or just dicking around. Every month we're going to pick a cheap or free bad game for everyone to play so we all have a common subject to bullshit about. Of course, you can also post reviews and news about bad games for us to mock and enjoy.

Well what do you consider a bad game because I really hated Bioshock Inf
You know what a bad game is, dingus. It's the Bad Rats and Dinner Dates of the world. It's the lovely filler you get in your game bundles that make you feel less bad about pissing away $2.99. It's the indie game made by one guy who had this vision, man, programmer graphics be damned. I fully expect some disagreements on how bad these bad games are (because I love me some bad games, I do), but let's be chill about it. Do not come in here talking about generally well-regarded games. I will be not very nice to you, I can promise you that.

Where can I find some bad games I am not good with Google
- For a wide variety of terrible free games, have a look at the free to play section on Steam. You'll find everything from Korean MMOs to indie passion projects. You might even find the rare and elusive good game!
- Bundles are perhaps the cheapest way to get bad games, because you're probably buying them for the few good games already. Humble Bundle tends to have more good games than bad, but Bundle Stars, Indie Gala, and Indie Royale are all great for scraping the bottom of the barrel most weeks.
- The Weeklong Deals on Steam are usually a grab-bag of decent to terrible titles that get discounted down to nothing. The lineup changes every Monday.
- When in doubt, you can always sort the Steam catalog by lowest price. You can find some real hidden gems that way.
- Desura is a hotbed of indie development, and you can pick up a lot of questionable games for nothing or next to it.
- Bad game hunting on consoles is never going to be as easy as on PC, but don't forget the forlorn bargain bins in your friendly neighborhood Gamestops, Targets, and Wal-Marts!

CURRENT AND PAST BAD GAMES OF THE MONTH
December 2014 - Lucent Heart

GOON REVIEWS OF BAD GAMES
Gimme some content yo

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ground floor

Steam ID: Widestancer

Let's play some really bad games.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm on Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

Bad games are fun, but are you keeping early access games on the table? I think that we should wait until horrible games are done (unless it is clear that the game will just never be done).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

We need something nice and horrible to play for what's left of December. Something free, common, or dirt cheap right now. I nominate Orion Prelude for $0.99 or CounterStrike Nexon Zombies for free if we want to do multiplayer, or Only If if we want to do free and singleplayer.

Let's try to settle on something by tomorrow evening so we can get rolling.

Steam ID: Audish

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Evolve is probably the shittiest demo I've played in a long time. We had a group in imp zone and we spent hours trying to play and spent maybe one hour tops actually in game; the rest was loading screens filled with console button tips. There was no chat in between rounds and it prohibited you from only playing with friends, forcing a pubbie in the monster slot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

We need something nice and horrible to play for what's left of December. Something free, common, or dirt cheap right now. I nominate... CounterStrike Nexon Zombies for free if we want to do multiplayer,

Woah woah, there's a different between a bad game thread and a suicide pact.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Contest Winner posted:

I'm on Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

Bad games are fun, but are you keeping early access games on the table? I think that we should wait until horrible games are done (unless it is clear that the game will just never be done).

I think most Early Access titles are going to be off the table just because of the usual price. And there's plenty of poo poo for us to wade through without getting into incomplete games.

Orv posted:

:kheldragar:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Orv posted:

*loads gun* gently caress that let's do this

Outlaws to the end buddy

*red dead redemption whistling theme*

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Freedom Planet is a sonic ripoff that some people praise but I found it clunky and difficult to play. It also has awful voice acting and lengthy cut scenes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Widestancer posted:

*loads gun* gently caress that let's do this

Outlaws to the end buddy

*red dead redemption whistling theme*

Oh come on Widestancer, it's the bad games thread, clearly the appropriate whistle theme is this.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

here is a bad game: http://steamcommunity.com/app/329950

The developer melted down many times: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9884-The-Slaughtering-Grounds-Developer-Meltdown

He banned most everyone from the discussion board thing on steam, and still goes through and deletes pretty much every thread there.

He made a "review" of Jim Sterling's "review" of his game. Jim made a "review" of that "review". "Review"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT0GSPxf0vw

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kinetic Void is probably the reason people shouldn't get excited over kickstarter games. Like it's the most boring and empty space game out there. And not in a fun Space Engine sort of empty but like hollow nothingness. They also did that thing where the game was Early Access and not even close to being a completed game but they launched anyway. All because people can filter out Early Access games from Steam's storepage.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Updated the OP with some bad game hunting tips. If anyone has more I'll cram 'em in there.

megalodong posted:

The developer melted down many times: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9884-The-Slaughtering-Grounds-Developer-Meltdown

He banned most everyone from the discussion board thing on steam, and still goes through and deletes pretty much every thread there.

He made a "review" of Jim Sterling's "review" of his game. Jim made a "review" of that "review". "Review"

Yessssssssssss this is exactly the kind of thing I want in here.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

megalodong posted:

Thanks for that. This is indeed a lovely meltdown and I love it when stuff like this happens. :derp:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Goon rushing a bad MMO would be fun. Run around and see how we can annoy people, get some footage, have our antics goldmined on the frontpage like back when SA was relevant on the internet. Just as long as it's not ArcheAge.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I feel like half of my Steam library fits in this thread... Unfortunately most of it is bland-bad as opposed to offensively/hilariously bad.

Thanks to one of the bundles I have a couple of terrible looking VNs that look like deviantart rejects.

e: speaking of developer breakdowns I actually have Paranautical Activity in my Steam library.

metricchip fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 10, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CrimeCraft GangWars is a loving laughable third person shooter game, basically if your dropped Loadout into a vat of poo poo from 2002 and pulled it out before it finished cooking. One of the ugliest goddamn games, it's so loving stupid that a viable option is to literally hammer "jumping knife stab" over and over and bounce around like a meth addict trying to one-hit kill someone when your lovely guns fail. People will probably only be familiar with this game since it required you to win like 10 matches or something for a TF2 hat. I wonder if it's still on Steam.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MinibarMatchman posted:

CrimeCraft GangWars is a loving laughable third person shooter game, basically if your dropped Loadout into a vat of poo poo from 2002 and pulled it out before it finished cooking. One of the ugliest goddamn games, it's so loving stupid that a viable option is to literally hammer "jumping knife stab" over and over and bounce around like a meth addict trying to one-hit kill someone when your lovely guns fail. People will probably only be familiar with this game since it required you to win like 10 matches or something for a TF2 hat. I wonder if it's still on Steam.

It is.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

How do you craft crime, anyways? :raise:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, right, that game. I remember as one of the few F2P options to get coal or whatever. Sheesh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh jeez, this game... It's literally just an English translation of a Korean F2P adaption of CS 1.6, made before F2P took off and thus full of things that have justifyably become ridiculously unpopular in the intervening, what, six years? Like weapon rentals and... let me put it this way: You have to buy the ability to votekick from the Item Shop.

It's not just a miserable trainwreck: it's a beloved classic morphed into a miserable trainwreck!

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Unguided posted:

Goon rushing a bad MMO would be fun. Run around and see how we can annoy people, get some footage, have our antics goldmined on the frontpage like back when SA was relevant on the internet. Just as long as it's not ArcheAge.

Damnit I saw this horrifically anime MMORPG a few weeks back that was free to play and had some awful kind of matchmaking system involving star signs and other cringeworthy bollocks and I wish I could remember the name because it would be a prime griefing ground. I will try and hunt it down and update the post when I do.

It's called Lucent Heart and it's just as awful sounding as I remember https://subagames.com/LucentHeart/News.aspx

TERRIBLE SHITLORD fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

How do you craft crime, anyways? :raise:

Crime [Legendary]
2 x B&E
3 x Felony Assault
1 x Reckless Endangerment
4 x Assault With A Deadly Weapon

+24 Guns
+14 Drugs
+5 Bitches

Required Level: 25-Life

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

That's right, I remember it had some snowball fight game you had to do during the Christmas event. I had a pro-strat for it that made me better than ~95% of the players:
Rebind the terrible, terrible controls :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFPoHsnctK4

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Damnit I saw this horrifically anime MMORPG a few weeks back that was free to play and had some awful kind of matchmaking system involving star signs and other cringeworthy bollocks and I wish I could remember the name because it would be a prime griefing ground. I will try and hunt it down and update the post when I do.

It's called Lucent Heart and it's just as awful sounding as I remember https://subagames.com/LucentHeart/News.aspx

quote:

Dinos proven to be non-existant are here to be your friend in Lucent Heart!

I can't stop giggling at this line for some reason.

We got some "good" suggestions for MMOs to dogpile, so let's pick one and start working on getting banned.

CrimeCraft GangWars for excessive, unnecessary capitalization
Lucent Heart for non-existant friend
CounterStrike Nexon Zombies for the sweet release of death

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My suggestion is Gynophobia. Its about a man who is afraid of women and spiders and overcomes his fears with a gun.

Doom Goon posted:

That's right, I remember it had some snowball fight game you had to do during the Christmas event. I had a pro-strat for it that made me better than ~95% of the players:
Rebind the terrible, terrible controls :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFPoHsnctK4

I like how they can't be bothered to make a new running animation, so its just people running around holding guns that they aren't going to use.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Planet Stronghold is a terrible faux-anime dating sim with RPG elements by the people who made Loren The Amazon Princess. It's pure bundle crap. I barely made it past the tutorial before I gave up and set it to hidden on my Steam library.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Unguided posted:

Planet Stronghold is a terrible faux-anime dating sim with RPG elements by the people who made Loren The Amazon Princess. It's pure bundle crap. I barely made it past the tutorial before I gave up and set it to hidden on my Steam library.

Wait you can hide games in the steam library? This is awesome news. Now I can finally hide the mistake of buying Sins of a Dark Age from my sight along with all my other video game abortions.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Unguided posted:

Hey now. Hey.

Are you suggesting this isn't a magnificent, nay, peerless work of art?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hit ctrl-F and typed in aftermath insanity and got 0 matches, this thread is already ruined

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Quest For Glory II posted:

I hit ctrl-F and typed in aftermath insanity and got 0 matches, this thread is already ruined

you mean afterFALL insanity, scrub

can we talk about assassin's creed unity itt? I hate that loving game

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'll fight you I would fight you if it wasn't against my own rules POST AWAY FRIEND

cat doter posted:

you mean afterFALL insanity, scrub

can we talk about assassin's creed unity itt? I hate that loving game

From everything I've heard I think it fits here, especially as funny as those bugs are. High-profile games are fine, I just don't want it to spark any arguments.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

megalodong posted:

this owns

For my own Boo Game, I'm legit mad at The Fall, a game about a AI suit of armor that crashes on a planet and needs to seek out medical aid for its pilot. It's a puzzle/exploration game. It starts promisingly enough with some nice puzzles, visuals, voice acting, but then it falls into those goddamn "the solution to this puzzle makes no goddamn sense" traps, as well as "scour every inch of this dark room with your flashlight in order to find something to shoot in order to continue, or in at least one case shoot at nothing at all".

You come across an old robot-testing facility to test production-line domestic robots, and are ~storylined~ into going through the tests yourself. Every one of them is broken, requiring ~creative thinking~.

The second :arghfist: is self-explanatory, but how about these puzzles?
-You are given the task of 'quieting down a crying "baby" cardboard cutout' your hint is "How would a war machine silence something?" You are equipped with a gun. What do you do? You break a vent overhead, from a different room, to suck the baby into the vents, duh!
-You are given the task of 'helping an "old lady" cutout across a street', but the crumbling infrastructure has the 'old lady' get stuck halfway down the way. You pass the test if a camera on the far side sees the old lady cutout. Reminder: you are a super-strong suit of armor, for wartime. Did you say "break it off at the knees and carry the cardboard across"? WRONG! You have to find some supercharging fuel for the test's generator, overclock the generator, and then when the cutout gets stuck... break it off at the knees and carry it across.

Everything's contrived garbage and just because the voice acting and visuals are great, all the reviews on Steam [as of my purchase] were super-positive.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

Lucent Heart for non-existant friend

I'm downloading this right now, by the way. If it's half as awful as it looks it'll be our December game.

EDIT: The emphasis the tutorial page puts on meeting soul mates is filling me with dread.

EDIT2: It only now dawned on me that the blue-haired girl on the page header is not actually wearing a shirt.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Lucient Heart is too anime for me:

2014-07-07 | Community News
Special Effects 101: How to be anime!
You too can be a protagonist of your own story!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm downloading this right now, by the way. If it's half as awful as it looks it'll be our December game.

EDIT: The emphasis the tutorial page puts on meeting soul mates is filling me with dread.

EDIT2: It only now dawned on me that the blue-haired girl on the page header is not actually wearing a shirt.

This looks fun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Steam ID: Shawluck

Dino D-Day is so bad it's good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here's my steam ID since we seem to be posting those.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/axleblaze

I'm glad the OP mentioning Dinner Date because I'm still mad I paid money for that. I like lovely art games and I am willing to stretch the definition of a game pretty far but man, gently caress Dinner Date. It's just a lovely wrapping for the creators awful boring writing.

Tidale
May 2, 2010

This looks terrifying. Getting on this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Evilreaver posted:

this owns

For my own Boo Game, I'm legit mad at The Fall, a game about a AI suit of armor that crashes on a planet and needs to seek out medical aid for its pilot. It's a puzzle/exploration game. It starts promisingly enough with some nice puzzles, visuals, voice acting, but then it falls into those goddamn "the solution to this puzzle makes no goddamn sense" traps, as well as "scour every inch of this dark room with your flashlight in order to find something to shoot in order to continue, or in at least one case shoot at nothing at all".

You come across an old robot-testing facility to test production-line domestic robots, and are ~storylined~ into going through the tests yourself. Every one of them is broken, requiring ~creative thinking~.

The second :arghfist: is self-explanatory, but how about these puzzles?
-You are given the task of 'quieting down a crying "baby" cardboard cutout' your hint is "How would a war machine silence something?" You are equipped with a gun. What do you do? You break a vent overhead, from a different room, to suck the baby into the vents, duh!
-You are given the task of 'helping an "old lady" cutout across a street', but the crumbling infrastructure has the 'old lady' get stuck halfway down the way. You pass the test if a camera on the far side sees the old lady cutout. Reminder: you are a super-strong suit of armor, for wartime. Did you say "break it off at the knees and carry the cardboard across"? WRONG! You have to find some supercharging fuel for the test's generator, overclock the generator, and then when the cutout gets stuck... break it off at the knees and carry it across.

Everything's contrived garbage and just because the voice acting and visuals are great, all the reviews on Steam [as of my purchase] were super-positive.

I got to halfway through this post before realizing that no, you were not talking about Deus Ex: The Fall. That might be a good one for this thread, though.

• Locked thread