Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

You know what, it just occurred to me that Invisible War and Mass Effect 2 have the same ammo system, yet for some reason people hate it in IW and love it in ME.

I'm one of those people, but I realize I can't really explain why. Something about the ammo system in IW "felt" wrong. Weird balance, maybe? It's been awhile but I remember feeling like several of my weapons weren't worth using.

ME's universal ammo isn't shared among weapons. You just get ammo for everything at the same time. That is also why IW's system is lovely. If you use up all your rocket ammo you also don't have pistol ammo and so-on. It is one of the worst ammo systems of all time.

Universal Ammo is a terrible idea the way IW does it because you're basically putting all your eggs into a single basket. A single poorly-balanced basket. I mean IW is so easy that you can just throw poo poo at people to kill them but it's still a terrible design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It means exactly the opposite of that! Whatever weapon you want to use, you have ammo for it because it's all the same ammo.

Unless you want to use more than one weapon because using up your sniper rifle ammo also uses up your pistol ammo, your rocket ammo, and so-on. It also means that if you run out of ammo you have no backups.

Like, i'm sorry dude, but even the developers of IW admitted that Universal Ammo was a bad idea. It is one of the few examples of straight-up objective bad game design. Even if you want to always have ammo for your favorite weapons something like the ME2 system is a much better way to handle it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, they are. Is that a problem?

Yes? I'm not sure what answer you were expecting here but "everyone is incredibly stupid" isn't really a selling point. Deus Ex wasn't a masterpiece of writing but it did a much better job of selling its sides and characters.

• Locked thread