Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is this just Deus Ex? Or the series as a whole.

Because if it's the series as a whole, I'd be willing to throw down and write up an effortpost why people should give Invisible War a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Contest Winner posted:

I was just thinking of focusing on the first game for now as far as encouraging people to play, but I'm not going to turn down thoughtful posting. At the very least it could be for people who want to continue the series if they enjoyed the first game.

I'll write something up near the end of the month then, give people something to think about presumably after they've beaten Deus Ex.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The_Franz posted:

I'm still not sure what you could do to the lighting system that requires killing and restarting the process with every level transition.

Among the many technical problems already mentioned, they also shipped the demo and original PC version with the Xbox config files so by default the text was comically huge and the FoV made it look like you were looking through a telescope. On top of that the first release suffered from constant crashes to desktop during level changes. The game should have flat-out not been released in the technical state it was in.

It was also one of the earlier games to use Havok physics, but everything in the world just ended up feeling like it was made of Styrofoam.

Let us also not forget that Deus Ex 2 had the most obtrusive and obnoxious HUDs of any game, ever. Thankfully they included an option to make it invisible most of the time.

Basically, Deus Ex 1 was a game where everything went right, and it shows. Deus Ex 2 was a game where everything went wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Yes, it was a buggy mess.

Yes the FoV/text was too big, and yes the menu was godawful.

Yes the combat system was different.

None of that adds up to the amount of vitriol that game gets on a regular basis. The world was interesting, well defined, and the themes they pushed did actually provoke some measure of thought ( can utopia only be achieved by hiding the undesirable aspects, failure and the denial of self, etc ). The story while cheesy was decently told, and it provided enough mystery to get players to the ending, provided they were willing to put up with the technical problems. As an added benefit, they took one of the coolest things Deus Ex did and expanded on it, taking the nonlethal/lethal track and expanding it into an entire games worth of faction options. While Liberty Island/Castle Clinton were the only two levels that mattered for nonlethal/lethal in Deus Ex, your choices over the entire game matter to the factions in Invisible War.

Even outside of storytelling the game was quite well done. Unlike Deus Ex, which presented you as a super soldier in name only, Invisible War finally gave you the power to play with the combat engine. While I'm sure some people legitimately enjoyed playing on Realistic and dying in a single hit, it somewhat ran counter intuitive to everyone claiming you were some sort of nanoaug badass who could tank bullets in most encounters. Invisible War fixed this, making the combat challenging for the average player, but also giving the player enough tools to deal with enemies from all sorts of angles/paths. They also fixed the energy issues inherent to the original game. While energy was at a premium in the original Deus Ex, only giving you the chance to fire off augs to get around/sections of combat when things were going poorly, Invisible War offered enough energy to encourage aug use during basic combat encounters, which added a bit more spice to them.

Ultimately, while the levels were smaller thanks to the loading screens, they were also much larger in scope and scale if you were able to ignore them. Only the cities really suffered from the transition to consoles, with Seattle and Egypt being a bit smaller in scope/scale then Hell's Kitchen/China. The actual gameplay zones ended up being as large or larger then the average Deus Ex level, and offered as many if not more options to get into/through them. The addition of new augs/new grenades/new guns opened up strategies you couldn't even think about in Deus Ex. Like my favorite, throwing down a spiderbot, taking control of it with droid control, and then using it to sneak past everyone to the turret control center. Or using the rifle that shoots through walls alongside the eye aug to snipe general enemies before I even had the alarms sound.

I play through both games on a yearly basis, and Invisible War has just gotten better with age, thanks to the reduction in loading times. I honestly find a lot of the hate it gets nonsensical ( "There is no reason to explore!" leads people to not have any ammo. I've beaten the entire game only using the rocket launcher/mako rifle before and had no problems. I regularly fire off all sorts of big guns before switching to pistols again, and don't have any ammo problems. If you are having ammo problems, maybe you should be exploring? ), and the few people I've convinced to play it on my friends list have largely ended up enjoying it. Obviously none of us think it's a better game then Deus Ex, which is still one of the best games ever made, but it was a pretty good game in the same vein. It's a good RPG that now only has a few odd bugs, but is still treated as one of the worst games ever made because it was the first real console to PC port.

• Locked thread