Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I have a question for you.

What accent do you speak?

Personally, I don't speak with an accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh, so you're from New Zealand too?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Hamshot posted:

Oh, so you're from New Zealand too?
I'm a man of the world.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
all of them

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I speak your accent but all hosed up.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
American accent.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
ugly midwestern american

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you don't speak an accent dummy.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
barely bostonian

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rando posted:

mmm i sure do love semantics

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Irish, midwest, middle class urban

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Rando posted:

That's what I said.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

Me too.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Robo Reagan posted:

this thread is about phonetics not semantics

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0
This thing is uncannily accurate.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I speak with that one accent that makes all other accents sound retarded and funny.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
TV/movie American.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I speak Shmorky.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Cockney

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

the one that you think you can do an impression of

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
English op

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
forget accent what about dialect

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i talk like an rear end in a top hat

embykins
Jul 4, 2009
the right one

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

People think I'm Canadian despite living in Georgia my entire life.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
South Efrikan.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sector 7, Quadrat 4 Klingon. Western End.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
I speak with a neutral accent, but I grew up in the NYC/NJ area, so when I am among the lower classes, I often put on a bit of a new york accent to fit in better among the people.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
u wot m8? I ain't got no accent.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Norwegian. Just listen to the current Secretary General of NATO. It's a pretty funny accent.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
much like you OP i speak cock-in-mouth

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Goddamn...it is.

I'm originally from NY but spent most of my life in Philly. I purposely didn't answer "hoagie" for the sandwich question as that's a totally Philly-specific term, since I wanted to see if it would still get me near to where I live/am from. It pegged me as NYC/Newark/Yonkers.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I speak with a neutral accent, but I grew up in the NYC/NJ area, so when I am among the lower classes, I often put on a bit of a new york accent to fit in better among the people.

When I'm in/near NYC, the accent starts to creep in if the people I'm around have one. I've been told my accent can be anywhere from neutral to Northeastern to New Yorker. Thankfully, I don't have the Philly accent, which makes you sound like a mouth-breathing dunce.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 10, 2014

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Count Freebasie posted:

When I'm in/near NYC, the accent starts to creep in if the people I'm around have one. I've been told my accent can be anywhere from neutral to Northeastern to New Yorker. Thankfully, I don't have the Philly accent, which makes you sound like a mouth-breathing dunce.
yeah the philly accent is a really weird one. they do really strange things to vowels, particularly words with "o" in them. it's also really hard to emulate. like, when movies or shows are set in philly, the actor usually just does a nyc/italian accent lol

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

yeah the philly accent is a really weird one. they do really strange things to vowels, particularly words with "o" in them. it's also really hard to emulate. like, when movies or shows are set in philly, the actor usually just does a nyc/italian accent lol

He's from Philly, so when he breaks into the Lee's Hoagies commercial and the bouncer story, he nails it perfectly. This is the perfect example for all goons who don't know it. Ignore the talk show hosts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1QEA954yA

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yeah if you're from Philly this test is going to peg you based solely on the "hoagie" and "mischief night" answers. Surprised my "sunshower" answer was more significant than my "youse" answer.

The vowel thing with Philly accents is real. We use a really exaggerated "o" sound in "phone" and "home". I think our lips exaggerate the O-shape and our jaws stick out to make the sound so strange. My friend got his phd in linguistics at U Penn studying this poo poo. It's really interesting. Unfortunately, I don't really have an explanation for "wooder" though. There is a really good skit on The Kroll Show where a dude from Philly and a dude from Pittsburgh change stores. They get this girl from Philly to just say a bunch of random things and her accent is loving unbelievable. Kroll's accent in that sketch is probably the only good Philly accent by an actor ever.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
bronx>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Howdy, y'all! This ol' boy here is speakin' 100% Arkie.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
An online test told me i talk like i'm from san clemente california instead of just outside indianapolis. Thank god i grew up with the tv as my best friend or i might sound the way the hicks that surround me do

open container
Sep 16, 2008

open container posted:

bronx>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

haha this can not be disputed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7NWFSPsfR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are