Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Fetus Tree posted:

besides 18 wheeler what else would you even call it

apparently like 10 other things. I would choose other and state "hell on wheels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
That truck question was difficult, I use about half of those words regularly to refer to them, that really should have been a checkbox question.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Nigmaetcetera posted:

That truck question was difficult, I use about half of those words regularly to refer to them, that really should have been a checkbox question.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yup. I think I say big-rig and 18-wheeler often enough.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
could've gone one way or another on many of those, yeah

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Devil's Night was the one that gave me away.

Fetus Tree posted:

i spent a year in michigan for work and people thought i was canadian

:shrug:

interesting since everyone in boston thought my detroit friends were canadian as well lol

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It seems to think now that I'm from San Jose, San Francisco, or Hialeah, Florida. This thing is retarded, i'm a goddamned hoosier

It seems really bad at placing people from Indiana. I've taken it several times since it came out, and I started going with what my dad or grandma would say, trying to get it to place me at least near Indiana. It sticks me all over the place.

Taking it just now landed me squarely in Omaha/Lincoln/Wichita. I've never even been as far south as Lincoln, nevermind to Wichita. I'm starting to think they got lazy and skipped Indiana, or found such a mishmash of answers they weren't able to use any of them reliably. People in Indiana have several names for everything. Some of these really should be checkbox lists, instead of one answer.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
o its so surprising that libjew NYC rag can only identify coasters

the media

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I just don't get how it thinks I could be from Hialeah, 92% of the people in Hialeah are native Spanish speakers. I can barely order at an authentic mexican place without an interpreter.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I just don't get how it thinks I could be from Hialeah, 92% of the people in Hialeah are native Spanish speakers. I can barely order at an authentic mexican place without an interpreter.

Tu cubano madiposita.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
they probably just more or less skipped a few midwest states, but it got me pretty easily so I dunno

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

psyopmonkey posted:

Tu cubano madiposita.

I don't know what this means. I AM FROM INDIANA. YO QUIERO TRES TACOS SIN LECHUGA, UNA COCA-COLA, Y CATORCE MARGARITAS, POR FAVOR, GRACIAS.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

This is interesting as hell. I've lived my whole life in the Twin Cities and it nailed me down perfectly.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

This poo poo is que-ah as gently caress kehd.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
uruguayan accent in spanish

los angeles accent in english

never heard me having an accent in english but apparently people from southern california sound "lazy"

i always thought english accents sounded lazy but still pretty cool.

and those scottish accents and some parts of england are loving incomprehensible at times. i seriously have no idea what they're saying sometimes. i guess mixed with gaelic or something maybe? no idea.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If context has established I'm talking about that kind of truck, I just use "truck." No context (which is what I assume the question implies) I usually use "semi."

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I speak in fluent retard.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
real talk

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Generic NYC with a splash of Bronx and Joisey.

Weirdly though people say I sound generic and have no accent at all. I only sound ghetto when angry

Sergeant Slippyfist
Oct 18, 2009
Straight up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iq8-5RO03k

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Would that be considered a "posh" accent in the UK?

Sergeant Slippyfist
Oct 18, 2009

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

Would that be considered a "posh" accent in the UK?

It's universally considered the least intelligent sounding British accent. To be fair, even half the locals don't know what they're saying most of the time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIcbLkY2iY
...but that won't stop them telling anyone else "Yow cor spake proppa" when they complain about the gibberish they were just subjected to.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
i speak bad english with a strong québécois accent

when i was a call center slave people thought they were speaking with someone from india lol

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ive got a fucken sweet california accent :cool:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jzvh2IeLmo

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Cuckoo posted:

Generic NYC with a splash of Bronx and Joisey.

Weirdly though people say I sound generic and have no accent at all. I only sound ghetto when angry

That's what I've been told too. Angry or tired. College kind of cleansed me of my bad accent.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

interesting since everyone in boston thought my detroit friends were canadian as well lol

See that at least makes sense.

In my defense my dad is a spic that came here on a boat and my step dad is from texas, my mom is multilingual so my accents and colloquial influence are all hosed up.

I think I am just one of those that can fake most accents from this country (and Argentina) on demand

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

According to the quiz I'm Newark/Paterson,Yonkers, and Jersey City. I grew up around these areas, although I find it funny that all of these cities are now majority black/Hispanic and I'm as white as the driven snow.

Sergeant Slippyfist posted:

It's universally considered the least intelligent sounding British accent. To be fair, even half the locals don't know what they're saying most of the time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIcbLkY2iY
...but that won't stop them telling anyone else "Yow cor spake proppa" when they complain about the gibberish they were just subjected to.

My husband is from the Black Country. He left when he was young and now speaks with a more standard British accent, but his parents are nearly incomprehensible to me. The first time I heard him Skype with them I could have sworn he was speaking a different language.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

pretty cool thing. im from houston but my moms from baton rouge and has a strong accent that i borrowed from

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNN6NigGNM

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Southern belle despite being a man.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. The term "feeder road" is pretty much exclusive to Houston. My dad is from there and uses it. Used to wonder about that ... and now I know.

Monkey Fracas posted:

think about how like people in the bay area sound- it is a blank slate of nothing to my ears
That's true. But a friend is born-and-raised San Francisco and he sounds like a surfer dude if he cuts back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxqY75Vz3lc

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omi-Polari posted:

Huh. The term "feeder road" is pretty much exclusive to Houston. My dad is from there and uses it. Used to wonder about that ... and now I know.

That's true. But a friend is born-and-raised San Francisco and he sounds like a surfer dude if he cuts back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxqY75Vz3lc

That weird surfer joe thing comes out randomly like wherever you are in California, but I have a feeling it comes from one of the coastal areas of LA or something

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Monkey Fracas posted:

That weird surfer joe thing comes out randomly like wherever you are in California, but I have a feeling it comes from one of the coastal areas of LA or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akmQ7NRl0QU
Huntington Beach

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

it's what happened when jocks and hippies mixed in the 70's. It's an easy way for dumb people to talk without using any real nouns adjetives, or verbs.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

midwestern "non-accent" with the occasional ya'all and youse guys and ehhhhhhhh and duuuuuuuuude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Ruby got Railed posted:

midwestern "non-accent" with the occasional ya'all and youse guys and ehhhhhhhh and duuuuuuuuude

that's called the canadian midwestern

• Locked thread