Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

This, basically. I grabbed the unit tag so we'd have it if CW was worth playing and if we had enough euro timezone people to make it worth having. If needed we can shut it down and migrate to a bigger goon group.

You mean we'd Kerensky the group. Leave a lone Kerensky as member. Name Sit Kerensky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I know this is an old post now but it just reminded me of a guy I saw suicide farming back in the old days. He would show up in game in a six flamer Jenner, fire continuously until he exploded, type "FREE PALESTINE" in chat and then quit out.

Sonshi's Art of War has some vague, but interesting things to say with regards to this. It's a pretty short read, I highly recommend it.

Paramemetic posted:

ModPud particularly has mastered harassment, he plucks components and fucks dudes up once the battle has started while people are paying attention to other things.

She

Also don't capitalise just a part of my name, its insanely rude and incredibly hosed up. capitalise all of it or none of it

Also also all the cool people in the fighting cocks should probably just merge with KDR to form the Kaetatoa Democratic Republic, between the two of us we'll probably be able to throw together a whole 13 or 14 people(WoW wHoA!!!)

alternate name, come up with by greatest mechwarrior online commander Autsj: Kill Death Cocks

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Also all the builds in the OP that I looked at sucked, you should probably have someone competent managing it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wow, caress you gently MODPUD.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Fil5000 posted:

This, basically. I grabbed the unit tag so we'd have it if CW was worth playing and if we had enough euro timezone people to make it worth having. If needed we can shut it down and migrate to a bigger goon group.
You know we will never have enough people from EU TZ :v:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

garth ferengi posted:

Also all the builds in the OP that I looked at sucked, you should probably have someone competent managing it

I nominate you. Hook me up with some builds, and I will add/replace. Thanks!

Baudin posted:

I also preferred the last thread's title, it was the only thing going for it.

Eh, it's a Robot Jox reference.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

As long as people who play the game critique the builds, they should be okay.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Wow, caress you gently MODPUD.

Please don't cuss

OB_Juan posted:

I nominate you. Hook me up with some builds, and I will add/replace. Thanks!

No

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ferengi rule of acquisition #357: don't build shame

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Ok then, enjoy the crappy builds in the OP.

(I'll likely put together a "selection" of really bad assault builds in the third post as my motivation to stay late today wears thin, focusing on assaults I actually own, or about 14 of them)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll stop being lazy and contribute some builds for the mechs I use.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Ferengi rule of acquisition #357: don't build shame

Normally I don't poo poo on other people's mechs but if they're in a resource that's supposed to be for new people(or if they have lrms) I'm going to have to speak up and say something. It won't necessarily be constructive though, because the last time I went constructive and gave someone an alternative build they used it for like an hour, complained about how bad it was, and then went back to using lrms and contributing next to nothing every round

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kazvall posted:

I'll stop being lazy and contribute some builds for the mechs I use.

Baudin posted:

I'll likely put together a "selection" of really bad assault builds in the third post as my motivation to stay late today wears thin, focusing on assaults I actually own, or about 14 of them.

Cool, I'd like to get about three decent builds for each class of IS, and one for each Clan. It doesn't need to be exhaustive, that's what the wiki is for. Aside from built-for-quirk mechs, I've been running 'mechs I like rather than maybe the Best Robots, so I would appreciate assistance in getting the OP meta-compliant. It's pretty easy to swap the chassis out in the OP as well, so whatever's good, ya know?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Normally I don't poo poo on other people's mechs but if they're in a resource that's supposed to be for new people(or if they have lrms) I'm going to have to speak up and say something. It won't necessarily be constructive though, because the last time I went constructive and gave someone an alternative build they used it for like an hour, complained about how bad it was, and then went back to using lrms and contributing next to nothing every round

Just to be clear, that was a mumble joke. I have yet to look at the builds listed in the OP.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #102: Sometimes declare peace, it confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

That's a really terrible excuse for complaining about someone's builds being bad, but not actually contributing anything.

e: I guess each build taking up a line helps :3:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

garth ferengi posted:

Don't you think that maybe someone who put together this OP, would be a "tad" more open to constructive critic than some random pubbie goon?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

You can consider my line of thinking to be the result of years of untreated robot PTSD if it makes you feel any better(about me)

edit: well now you've all successfully shamed me into taking a look at those builds and maybe coming up with alternatives. gently caress this thread

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It's no big deal, if the builds aren't good, I'm glad it got pointed out. There are some missing anyway. Let's focus on getting good info out to goons.

:siren: The new thread is chill :siren:

garth ferengi posted:

You can consider my line of thinking to be the result of years of untreated robot PTSD if it makes you feel any better(about me)

edit: well now you've all successfully shamed me into taking a look at those builds and maybe coming up with alternatives. gently caress this thread

Sorry / Thank you!

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Pudding makes good builds- polite criticism, not so much.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Autsj posted:

Pudding makes good builds- polite criticism, not so much.

Honestly, that's the Goon Way.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Yay! Thanks modpud :3:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
That bubb wubb build in the OP is literally the first quirkening build i threw together with poo poo that was lying around.

This is much better

Bubb Wubb

whoo whoo

Banano fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 11, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Has anybody come up with any decent Kingcrab builds yet? I was thinking something like 6 AC2's or a making a gimped Bane.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a few crab builds I've been working on. If you want some express advice, I'll be on mumble in 15.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

garth ferengi posted:

She

Also don't capitalise just a part of my name, its insanely rude and incredibly hosed up. capitalise all of it or none of it

I'm sorry, can I still cite you as a cool dude MODPUD or do you prefer dudette? What are your dude-nouns? :v:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Why is he MODPUD. idgi.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Has anybody come up with any decent Kingcrab builds yet? I was thinking something like 6 AC2's or a making a gimped Bane.

Yes. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=9d2791d9536ee39125bf89c2dd83c90eb4a55c92

It has an XL engine, but I haven't found that to be a problem yet. It runs amazingly cold, has great pinpoint damage at 100 to 500 meters, and moves decently quickly for a crab.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=b9ef64a47ac01d95c3e994a5358d618fb060580b

325 std engine, 2 ER large lasers, 2 AC 20's. Hit things when they get close, but something to poke at incoming targets.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Here's a better atlas DDC build, the Ghost Dad Mk. LXIX (thats mk. 69, for those of you who, like me, cant read roman numerals without googling them)

Scrap that loving LRM boat awesome. Remove it from the OP entirely. Remove awesomes from the OP entirely, unless someone has some piece of poo poo PPC thing they want to share.

Also remove catapults from the OP entirely. Pretend they now longer exist. Especially the ones that use LRMs. You could keep a gaussapult around for old times' sake, but be sure to mention that it's an ancient relic and not worth using over a gauss jagermech(I think the jagermech S is the best mech for dual gauss now?)

That thunderbolt build has AMS and a really stupid armour spread so here's a better one: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=115&l=be47274a5c14456e3896779ee9cea1863d0df921

Centurion build is probably fine(for a bad IS brawler), if underarmoured, and the front/rear armour spreads suck, but i d g a f

The firestarter build is completely terrible. AMS and a lower-than-maximum-rating engine? Get that poo poo out of here. Throw this thing in there instead http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=140&l=d88cdf6fbcff2bf31af9d9e7eb6bb6d20d7e1055 maybe this thing too if you think the 8SPL build is worthwhile(it's really not): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=139&l=bf5640cada574d5b4d7848f0ffa28b7ae1773a17

Raven build is also bad, I told DonVincenzo to use something like this and he has had some decent success with it as far as I know. I don't really care about ravens enough to buy one again and try it out, but any sort of close range fit(especially one that uses missiles) is going to be god awful against any sort of competent opposition

Here's some clan mech builds that I mostly use(the timber wolf one is not actually the ~~~most optimal one~~~ but whatever)

timber wolf

stormcrow

dire wolf

Oh and here's a shadow hawk I guess http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=154&l=21defca531e335e5f69c4efeb09bf8f394b40a7f

I have a lot more builds laying around that I could probably post but at that point you may as well use some stupid loving goon wiki or whatever(like KDR's google drive, which only the most elite and autistic mechwarriors have access to)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Yes. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=9d2791d9536ee39125bf89c2dd83c90eb4a55c92

It has an XL engine, but I haven't found that to be a problem yet. It runs amazingly cold, has great pinpoint damage at 100 to 500 meters, and moves decently quickly for a crab.

Gauss ammo doesn't blow up, so stick it on the Gauss arms to help absorb some crit damage.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The best king crab builds are probably assymetrical things that use an AC/20 and then some missiles or some PPCs/large lasers, combined with a giant standard engine. They're basically atlas/hero stalker builds except on a worse chassis for most things(sure looks cool though)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I'm sorry, can I still cite you as a cool dude MODPUD or do you prefer dudette? What are your dude-nouns? :v:

I would rather not be associated with the entirety of dudedom

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Why three gauss on that direwolf instead of two erppc/two gauss?

e: you can only shoot two gauss at a time due to :pgi:

Kazvall posted:

Gauss ammo doesn't blow up, so stick it on the Gauss arms to help absorb some crit damage.
Very good point, I'll edit the build.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 11, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Here is the StormCrow I use right now.

Sheryl

Simple build, I am sure someone will tell me I am putting the ammo in the wrong place but whatever. For weapon groups I have group 1 be a full alpha and group 2 be chainfire.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Why three gauss on that direwolf instead of two erppc/two gauss?

ERPPCs are bad, gauss rifles are amazing, clan lasers are amazing. Alternate good builds are 2 gauss/4 ERLL, and 2 gauss/3LPL(only properly doable on the dire wolf b)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

garth ferengi posted:

ERPPCs are bad, gauss rifles are amazing, clan lasers are amazing. Alternate good builds are 2 gauss/4 ERLL, and 2 gauss/3LPL(only properly doable on the dire wolf b)

Well this does have 2x ER PPC, 2x Gauss, 4x ML (and not enough DHS) http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=e1de7de35fb794a9291ad66ec6e58438b8365a46

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

TBK I love you and all but you need to get that stupid designed-by-committee bracket build bullshit out of here

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

garth ferengi posted:

I would rather not be associated with the entirety of dudedom

sigh :(

You have made me consider that all of my casual terms for people are male centric. This hurts my brain.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

TBK I love you and all but you need to get that stupid designed-by-committee bracket build bullshit out of here

BRAWL ALL DAY! LRMS ARE THE DEVIL!

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

I have a few crab builds I've been working on. If you want some express advice, I'll be on mumble in 15.

What is the Mumble server? I haven't been on it since closed beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

garth ferengi posted:

It is not a TBK build unless it is hotter than the sun.

• Locked thread