Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

kingcom posted:

What do you mean new? Firestarters have always been top dog light.

The FS9-S gained -30% MPL heat gen this patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

The FS9-S gained -30% MPL heat gen this patch.

Yea so now its even bettter?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

aniviron posted:

You can switch contracts like once a week, just get the low hanging fruit from each faction and move on.

Paul has probably said how much LP you get but it looks like that first mech bay at rank 2 is the only thing worth getting. The second mechbay is 24,000 LP at rank 6 so that would probably take too long to get in a week but I guess we'll see.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Tujague posted:

My first account got banned for keeping it too real in chat

My second account got its name taken away. I am currently negotiating with GM Patience about that

In the meantime, I can't stand being slow - what's a medium mech that pays bills?

A Wubcada is a good start if you have a spare XL 300 lying around. It goes fast and everyone ignores you because you're a cicada.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Turns out I'm still terrible at this game. I've had more luck than I expected in my old 4SP, though. The new Mechlab is kind of a clusterfuck...it's hard to figure out what gear I have so I can get my robots up to speed.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Devorum posted:

Turns out I'm still terrible at this game. I've had more luck than I expected in my old 4SP, though. The new Mechlab is kind of a clusterfuck...it's hard to figure out what gear I have so I can get my robots up to speed.

Yea, guessing which robot you left a particular module on is aggravating.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tujague posted:

My first account got banned for keeping it too real in chat

My second account got its name taken away. I am currently negotiating with GM Patience about that

In the meantime, I can't stand being slow - what's a medium mech that pays bills?

A medium? Stormcrow hands down. It's weight, engine rating and built in upgrades combined with a solid set of hardpoint choices across all switchable sections means you can run it in a staggering amount of configurations. After the up front cost it is surprisingly cheap to run and mod. Besides the initial mech it costs 258k once per arm/sidetorso etc and the first times you buy new guns, ammo and equipment will set you back a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs less than getting 3 of a lot of IS chassis' for the sake of getting all the hardpoint layouts. As for elite skills I am sure they are nice but on a stormcrow they are a nice perk that you absolutely do not need.

Get the missile one, load it with streaks and play conquest if you can stand it. Besides getting extra cbills for every conquest point, the objective of the game means you can guestimate that the sort-of far away cap points will have lights chasing after it, making the first moves sort of predictable. Start a match going after one of those and with 97kph you will arrive not too long after an enemy light gets there, ready for you to munch on.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

The best king crab builds are probably assymetrical things that use an AC/20 and then some missiles or some PPCs/large lasers, combined with a giant standard engine. They're basically atlas/hero stalker builds except on a worse chassis for most things(sure looks cool though)

I present to you the Fiddler Crab:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=c9e1e97fb4923caaab7886f4a82e06aa6e4cebd6

Alternatively, if you want to only shoot close things and have the B variant:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=240&l=9c4ba8c812c49a5d3dcea7431cffebc9a68e7fab

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kenyan Mangrove Crab:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=c0dda92e34f5a8deff4c398ad4af7c109e6c58e0

Block with the left, try not to get seperated from your team. Maybe sacrifice some more of the left arms armor to bring another heat sink. King Crab arms suck at blocking and have a +17hp armor buff that they don't need. Its also slow as hell, especially un-tweaked, but can keep pace with a Dire Wolf.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tonnage limits will hopefully make lesser used mechs shine again. Especially ones not at top weight for their class. Here's to hoping.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Great Beer posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=d15b2cb607672f6fade8b1766137ffdc7b11cedd

Same weapons. Same heat sinks. 300 standard instead of a 250 or 275.

Had mine set up that way because it used to be fun to switch out for a 6LL build and I wasn't going to switch back and forth between endo/standard. Doesn't really work with ghost heat these days though, your build is better for that.

EDIT: And I just so happen to have a spare 300std sitting around. Yay upgrades! Would probably have kept running a sub-sub-optimal mech otherwise. :thumbsup:

aniviron fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 11, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

kingcom posted:

Yea so now its even bettter?

Now it's even better than the FS9-H was

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Also I've adopted a teamkill-on-sight policy for goons running lrmboats. just an fyi. Get better or I'll make you get better

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

garth ferengi posted:

Also I've adopted a teamkill-on-sight policy for goons running lrmboats. just an fyi. Get better or I'll make you get better

You are doing the lord's work.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Seriously though when your win rate is lower playing with goon pug groups than it is with 1-2 friends and a bunch of random groups(that pretty consistently get put against 10 or 12 person groups) something is seriously hosed

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

Is this a matter of LRMs actually being crap, or just a distaste for them? Or both?

Even in the short amount of time I played ages ago, I remember LRMs whipsawing back and forth between deadly and poo poo several times.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Is this a matter of LRMs actually being crap, or just a distaste for them? Or both?

Even in the short amount of time I played ages ago, I remember LRMs whipsawing back and forth between deadly and poo poo several times.

Speaking as someone who generally is in an assault mech I hate it when the enemy team has lrms, since they're a bit harder to avoid and waiting for them to hit me is painful. They're not terribly overpowered in my opinion but they have a place in a group.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This is just a guess as I consider my new account's username, but LRMboating is probably seen by bittervets as poo poo for pubbies. They can be effective as long as there are other competent people on your team - but you can depend on any random pug to have two or three LRMboats in them so I think genghis ferngi is saying that badass goon drops should leave them for the pubbies and instead should fill other vital roles

I probs just got kicked from goonmech for srsposting

you know what IDGAF ok I've been kicked out of better goon video game guilds than this one whatevs

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

They're bad, and the worst part is that they're not quite bad enough for people to realise they're not even remotely worth taking over lasers(the god weapon at this point of the game) and/or whatever dumb gimmicky ballistic poo poo(gauss rifles excepted, which are as good as ever)

e: People also play them in incredibly boring, passive ways, and they're actively harmful as far as becoming less of a lovely player goes. When I did a stupid lrmboat to get my stalker basics way back in the day, I at least pushed and spotted/tagged targets for myself instead of whining about people not giving me locks while hiding behind a hill

e2:

Tujague posted:

but you can depend on any random pug to have two or three LRMboats in them so I think genghis ferngi is saying that badass goon drops should leave them for the pubbies and instead should fill other vital roles

They're actually actively harmful and in the group queue I see goons using pure lrmboats more than the pubbie groups I fight alongside/against

Solo queue is a different story. A much better story. A world dominated by a single tyrannical metal toddler armed with greenbeams of doom

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 11, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

They're bad, and the worst part is that they're not quite bad enough for people to realise they're not even remotely worth taking over lasers(the god weapon at this point of the game) and/or whatever dumb gimmicky ballistic poo poo(gauss rifles excepted, which are as good as ever)

e: People also play them in incredibly boring, passive ways, and they're actively harmful as far as becoming less of a lovely player goes. When I did a stupid lrmboat to get my stalker basics way back in the day, I at least pushed and spotted/tagged targets for myself instead of whining about people not giving me locks while hiding behind a hill

MPLs 4 lyfe.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

garth ferengi posted:

e2:

They're actually actively harmful and in the group queue I see goons using pure lrmboats more than the pubbie groups I fight alongside/against

Solo queue is a different story. A much better story. A world dominated by a single tyrannical metal toddler armed with greenbeams of doom

Preach, Every dumb assault or heavy hanging behind a hill that ends up untouched after their team is wiped out is an active detriment to their team.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
How the poo poo is this game still alive ? I thought this thing lost the IP in October with IGP.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

While I'll never personally run LRMs I have had great success in my Raven tagging/narcing for goon LRM boats. No goon I've run into has been stupid enough to take ONLY LRMs without 2-4 MLs as backup. You can absolutely use them to good measure just most people have forgotten this mythical art in favor of brawling all the time.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Jesus, I haven't even basic'd this thing, modpud, I am a believer.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

garth ferengi posted:

e2:

Counter-point: LRM Stormcrow that's sticking with the team and actively helping. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all, but I know we've dominated 12 man ques for a while because of that thing. But it's still a LRMboat and therefore situational at best. Good gameplay > LRMs. That said, I'm not good at robits

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The narc module coupled with good spotting and communication wrecks poo poo. The lesson here is don't try an advanced strategy if your TEAM can't pull it off.

e: or doesn't want to pull it off

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hal_2005 posted:

How the poo poo is this game still alive ? I thought this thing lost the IP in October with IGP.

How is Wildstar still alive? How is AOL still alive? How is RadioShack still alive?

These are not things which we can explain. All we can do is accept.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The stormcrow is one of the worst possible things you could put LRMs on honestly. Go big or go home(please just go home)

I just killed a pair of king crabs and a gargoyle as a one legged firestarter

One tried to run away. He did not make it

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=7237e1ce70ca5955cae8b6087e56013055e9925d

I feel like I'm cheating

Kazvall posted:

The narc module coupled with good spotting and communication wrecks poo poo. The lesson here is don't try an advanced strategy if your TEAM can't pull it off.

e: or doesn't want to pull it off

Gonna be honest "lrms i guess??" is probably not really an advanced strategy

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hal_2005 posted:

IGP never held the license. That has always belonged to PGI and will for a few years yet.

IGP held a sublicense from us to use the Mechwarrior name for Mechwarrior Tactics.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This game is alive because of a super hardcore fan base willing to spend crazy amounts of money on internet robots. The game is also fun. Once you get into it, you'll have a hard time getting that feeling of satisfaction from another multiplayer sim-like game. Playing in a team is key, of course. I drop solo a decent amount because I know the game and what mechs do what, etc. Game awareness takes hours to master in this game, with similar situations requiring wholly different strategies. I encourage anyone to try and get past the horrid GUI and try to just play the game. Use your mechbros and gals as advice givers, but also TRY poo poo OUT because that's how you learn. Sure, you're new, and someone might build shame you. However, using a tool is the best way to know how to counter it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Gonna be honest "lrms i guess??" is probably not really an advanced strategy

nah, kiting out specific mechs for symbiotic roles, requiring an active spotter, good positioning, and communication doesn't seem advanced at all

not only does narc cancel the ecm on whatever target it hits, it lasts an ungodly long time and allows focused damage on a target through lrms without line of sight

have you not encountered a well played/balanced lrm team, gotten narced, and game over?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazvall posted:

This game is alive because of a super hardcore fan base willing to spend crazy amounts of money on internet robots. The game is also fun. Once you get into it, you'll have a hard time getting that feeling of satisfaction from another multiplayer sim-like game. Playing in a team is key, of course. I drop solo a decent amount because I know the game and what mechs do what, etc. Game awareness takes hours to master in this game, with similar situations requiring wholly different strategies. I encourage anyone to try and get past the horrid GUI and try to just play the game. Use your mechbros and gals as advice givers, but also TRY poo poo OUT because that's how you learn. Sure, you're new, and someone might build shame you. However, using a tool is the best way to know how to counter it.

What this man is trying to say is...

Mindblast posted:

Well besides brain damage we now have a bad case of the crabs.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Number19 posted:

IGP never held the license. That has always belonged to PGI and will for a few years yet.

IGP held a sublicense from us to use the Mechwarrior name for Mechwarrior Tactics.

This is where I point out how upset I am at myself for spending $20 on MechWarrior Tactics. What a terrible piece of garbage.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

gwarm01 posted:

This is where I point out how upset I am at myself for spending $20 on MechWarrior Tactics. What a terrible piece of garbage.

I played like one game in closed beta. I never played again. Now if someone were to make a game similar to Front Mission 3 but with Battletech rules? I'm not sure I would ever play anything else, especially if it was on the PC and you could make your own campaigns n poo poo.

Hell, someone remake Crescent Hawk's Inception and Revenge with some actual content (and not lovely EGA DOS era RTS play for the latter) and I will love whoever does so.

(Course I actually want original Squad Leader in good computer form too. Megamek and VASSAL just don't cut it.)

I think that's half the reason I still play this. To get that Battletech FEELING, no matter how little it gives. Some Space Robots are better than no Space Robots.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

nah, kiting out specific mechs for symbiotic roles, requiring an active spotter, good positioning, and communication doesn't seem advanced at all

not only does narc cancel the ecm on whatever target it hits, it lasts an ungodly long time and allows focused damage on a target through lrms without line of sight

have you not encountered a well played/balanced lrm team, gotten narced, and game over?

Once where we actually lost(out of 4 or 5 10/12 person groups that I've seen running narc and some LRMs), but they won because they also knew how/when to push and flank and direct fire(hint: at every opportunity) especially after we murdered their narcs and other spotters

the wub israel

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gwarm01 posted:

The stupidest person in the thread.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Here is another good mech' due to quirks

Large Lenturian

Put the arm LL on their own group, even firing all 3 is not too hot, skirmish with this thing, don't brawl. Turn to your right after firing so your left arm soaks up hits.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kingcom posted:

The stupidest person in the thread.

I don't know, didn't we have at least one person fess up to buying one of those loving clan packages in the $150-$250 range? Because that idiot would have to take the cake.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know, didn't we have at least one person fess up to buying one of those loving clan packages in the $150-$250 range? Because that idiot would have to take the cake.

loving wallet shaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It's not a smart decision but at least he got something out of it. As opposed to just throwing your money into the Tactics hole.

• Locked thread