Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Kazvall posted:

Naaaaaah there are bigger spergs than me.

Hi there! Let me talk about streakcrows!

Stormcrows are great mechs. Some might even call them the best medium mech in the game. While there are better brawlers, snipers, and lrm boats in the medium class, no other medium mech can match the combination of versatility, survivability, and lethality the stormcrow has to offer. In fact, there's one thing the stormcrow does better than every other mech, and that's murder light mechs.

Outfitted with an array of streak srms, an active probe, 5 launchers, and the head of a stormcrow prime, you are the bane of anything lightly armored that gets within 380 meters of you. Mostly this means light mechs, but late in a match when most mechs are missing a lot of armor, you become a credible threat to everything around you.

Be warned that piloting this can fill you with the red haze of bloodlust as spiders and metal babbies disintegrate under your baleful stare. This can cause you to chase a rabbit into the waiting arms of its friends. Large, angry friends who have large, angry guns, and then you will fall down and die. It's usually better to fire one or two crippling volleys and let the little bastards lick their wounds elsewhere, confident that the back armor on your friends assault mechs remain unmolested a little while longer.

Often its in your best interest to ignore undamaged, heavier mechs. The nature of streak srms is to distribute damage evenly, and this means that although you can deal a lot of raw damage, you're just not going to kill bigger stuff quickly on your own. Instead, pilot your streakcrow a bit like a light. Keep moving, take potshots and then immediately break line of sight.

On cold maps, you can fire all your launchers at once, but otherwise chainfire your launchers to keep heat manageable. You've got speed and agility and a tag. Don't be afraid to spot for lrms if the opportunity presents itself.

You should never chase the rabbit, except for those times when you should. When that ecm/narc raven is on the wrong side of your blob to get back to safety, finish that bastard off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Autsj posted:

Pudding makes good builds- polite criticism, not so much.

Well I tried politeness during a match once and much to my chagrin none of the enemy crab flipped upside down and ragdolled off the nearest hill.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

What is the Mumble server? I haven't been on it since closed beta.

Is this poo poo listed in the OP? I can't tell. :(

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
People sure are already fired up about robots in this thread.

Here's a TBR build that I have success with, focusing more on SRMs than lazors, for those that like to get more in the face. This build can work on any of the TBR chassis with minor tweaks, I just prefer it on the S for all 5 jump jets. On the Prime, you can tweak it for an extra heat sink or MG, and on the C you can get another laser on there if you want. I frontload my armor a bit because I tend to tank with my face.

Edit: Usage - use the lasers at range or while closing to poke, and once in SRM range just lean on the missiles. Once an enemy is open, fire up the MGs. You can use the lasers when brawling, but only VERY occasionally. It's best to forget you have them once you get into SRM range if you can. You have about 3 minutes of constant SRM and MG fire if you don't use the lasers at all, but you'll shut down after 2 or 3 alphas if you try to shoot everything at once.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 11, 2014

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Nope!

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
How is this game these days in terms of weight-class roles and balance? Are there concrete, tangible reasons for using mixed forces, or do you just want as many Assaults as possible with maybe a couple of lights for scouting/harassment?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

How is this game these days in terms of weight-class roles and balance? Are there concrete, tangible reasons for using mixed forces, or do you just want as many Assaults as possible with maybe a couple of lights for scouting/harassment?

The game forces a 3/3/3/3 setup currently for groups, so that's a concrete reason, if not a great one. There ARE useful mechs in each class though, and I've seen some assault heavy teams in the pubbie queue get ripped apart by lighter teams who used maneuvering and speed to their advantage.

Supposedly, in CW, each player will have a tonnage limit up to 240 tons to fill their dropship with (4 mechs), depending on the mission, so different weights will certainly have a role there as well. 2 Atloxen and 2 Locusts? 2 Timber Wolves, a Stormcrow, and a Kit Fox? 4 Mad Dogs?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Supraluminal posted:

PGI 'balanced' the roles by making you take 3 of each into every fight.

e;fb

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

You're stuck with 3 of each class, for a total of 12. :pgi: doesn't want you to have a choice (though they helpfully indicate on the Play Now! button which class people are playing the least (it's usually lights because they're the most intense, high pressure, high risk/reward style chassis. Predictably I can't play them at all).

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Marathanes posted:

Supposedly, in CW, each player will have a tonnage limit up to 240 tons to fill their dropship with, depending on the mission, so different weights will certainly have a role there as well. 2 Atloxen and 2 Locusts? 2 Timber Wolves, a Stormcrow, and a Kit Fox? 4 Mad Dogs?

4 centurions, done.

Did I win CW?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Comedy build for the king crab, involving 2 LBX10, 2 AC5 and 2 medium lasers:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=1a8ace43595d74cfdada52fd22df1402e6359e03

Possibly doesn't have enough ammo, I'm not sure. I am pretty sure it's not good though!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Re: streak crows. You can put decent damage on bigger target if you fire them at an angle. Sure the missiles try to evenly split between sections of the mech, but they don't really care how they get there. So if you fire them from their right side, even the ones meant to go for the left arm and left torso will actually slam into the right side. If this happens on a locust the first volley can make it instantly explode.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Re: streak crows. You can put decent damage on bigger target if you fire them at an angle. Sure the missiles try to evenly split between sections of the mech, but they don't really care how they get there. So if you fire them from their right side, even the ones meant to go for the left arm and left torso will actually slam into the right side. If this happens on a locust the first volley can make it instantly explode.

That is a very nice tip, thank you!

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Hmm. Tonnage limits feels like part of the equation, but much of the fun of, e.g., the MechCommander games was adapting your team and loadouts to different mission objectives, map characteristics, etc. My early hopes for MWO were that PGI would take that to heart and get genuinely creative with promoting build/class diversity. Ghost heat isn't the kind of creativity I had in mind, either.

How about a capture objective that gives a mission-long bonus to the team that grabs it first, for example? Or maps with objectives in confined spaces that Assaults can't fit in? Or areas that provide major benefits to jumpers? Or an attack/defend mission where one team has to guard a long, strung-out convoy from the other team, making mobility a tactical necessity? You could also stack C-Bill limits on top of tonnage limits, creating an interesting decision between big dumb low-tech Assaults and blinged-out Mediums.

Just seems like they took the laziest, most basic route that provides no guarantee of an interesting, balanced experience for the full range of Mechs. Not to say that you couldn't have fun (and presumably still can by all accounts) running around shooting butts in a light, but there's a whole spectrum of possibility that they don't seem interested in. Or weren't last I saw, anyway.

Honestly I was so put off by my early experience with this game - on every level from technical to design to business model - that it would take a miracle to get me to try it again. It would still be gratifying in some way to know it was getting better, though, even if I'm not playing it. I guess I still want to see a real revival of the MW franchise someday.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kazvall posted:

It its, but apparently not visibly enough. I will improve it later tonight while updating the builds.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So I'm not a mech romney. There's no way I will have enough money in time for four mechs, much less have them equipped in any sane manner nor have their trees fully unlocked, before the war begins. Is there a general guideline for picking the least poo poo trial mechs?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

It its, but apparently not visibly enough. I will improve it later tonight while updating the builds.

I do not see a server ip address or password, just how to join goonrathi.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Mindblast posted:

That seems... dumb. And somehow emblematic of PGI's cack-handed attempts to fix problems arising from the original poor decision to rigidly port dumb tabletop rules into a first-person real-time 3D video game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Paul posted some more CW poo poo: link
Now you can see what you actually get for loyalty points. Total of 5 mechbays, 4500 mc and bunch of poo poo no one cares about. All this for the low low price of 800,000 loyalty points!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Someone said Awesome builds? They suck, but their quirks aren't bad and they've got the whole derpy neckbeard look going. You goons should run them more often. :colbert:

And what better way to run them than this gamut of lovely builds?

-8Q: aniviron's Tesla Tits, my version, and Great Beer's better build for comparison. You're as useful as a butthole on an elbow once enemies get within 90m, so build towards killing them before they get there. All the heat sinks to fire all the PPCs, all day, even on Mordor, and treasure the moments you barf an alpha in a locust's side torso because the pilot was too stupid to keep moving.

-8R: The quirks give bonuses to LRMs, but you don't have to run LRMs. I like the shorter cooldown, smaller heat generation, and greater ammo capacity of the 4s (and with a level 5 cooldown module you can chainfire almost nonstop), but you can substitute the ASRM4s for SRM6s, or trim off 3 tons of ammo and CASE for 4 ASRM6s. Make sure to turn off armlock so you can twistpoke with the ERLLs.

-8T: A heavier, slower, and better sinked Hunchback 4SP. This build is terrible best for ambushing.

-8V: Currently working on this one, and this is what I have so far. Wub at range, and when they get within 270m, poo poo missiles like you're a big boy Menturion. This is probably a better configuration, though I find that firing both wubs and missiles in it will overheat you pretty quickly.

-9M: ER Tesla Tits. This is the non-Pretty Baby variant that goes fast and not stuffing a fast engine in it is doing it a disservice. You get to enjoy 1013m ER PPCs, and it's less helpless when enemies get within 90m.

Pretty Baby: Buy your own and let me know. :effort:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 11, 2014

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

So I'm not a mech romney. There's no way I will have enough money in time for four mechs, much less have them equipped in any sane manner nor have their trees fully unlocked, before the war begins. Is there a general guideline for picking the least poo poo trial mechs?

:allears:

Apparently the OP didn't sufficiently describe how PGI became so :pgi:. Nothing that happens in community warfare is going to matter for 90 days*; bear in mind this is :airquote: phase 2, phase 1 being "can make and join player organizations."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tagichatn posted:

Now you can see what you actually get for loyalty points. Total of 5 mechbays, 4500 mc and bunch of poo poo no one cares about. All this for the low low price of 800,000 loyalty points!
:stare:

I... uh... yeah.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
The grind is real.

I'm kind of amused that, given enough neckbeard, everyone can become a Khan. Sounds about right!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Awesomes suck. Maybe if there was sone tonnage limitation i could see bringing one. When i see one i think drat, somebody on the other team brought a dire/atlas/stalker

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

:stare:

I... uh... yeah.

Yes, yes it's happening!

Can't wait for the 16th.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

That seems... dumb. And somehow emblematic of PGI's cack-handed attempts to fix problems arising from the original poor decision to rigidly port dumb tabletop rules into a first-person real-time 3D video game.

It can get better/worse on other things as well. Imagine a fast target on the move torso twisting just as they're about to hit. the results are pretty random.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Also, cataphracts. They had their day, but now everytime i see one it is an easy kill. Sure you can dual gauss with illia, but the jager does dual gauss better. They seem too fat and easy to nail side torsos

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Do you like banshees? No? Well then congrats on being a bad. Here's a good banshee BNC-3E

You'll want an AC/5 cooldown mod at a minimum for this mech, but once you have it, it's like having a gauss rifle that fires roughly once every 1.2 seconds (even lower once you unlock elite skills!). It can brawl, it can snipe a little. The only problem is that with such a high rate of fire, you're encouraged to stare at your target. If you're facing something with a low rate of fire, make sure to keep track of his refire rate so that you can use your empty arms as shields. The highly precise AC/5 volleys will make short work of the armor on any location you focus on, on any mech you choose. The banshee's speed isn't terrible, and the torso aims reasonably well for an assault.

One note on heat management. To keep the heat from the AC/5s under control, I recommend that you hold down the fire button until the autocannons run dry. The medium lasers should be used for added flavor sparingly, as they CAN make you overheat if you're careless. Otherwise heat management is a non-issue in this build. Just be warned that this beast is PRICEY!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tagichatn posted:

You can switch contracts like once a week, just get the low hanging fruit from each faction and move on.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willfrey posted:

Awesomes suck. Maybe if there was sone tonnage limitation i could see bringing one. When i see one i think drat, somebody on the other team brought a dire/atlas/stalker

Post-Quirkening, the 8Q is a scary loving monster. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=0d4d7e17409c9dd3744fb2f2944d06e0128eb79d you can fire all day and not overheat, 4ppc alphas for those sweet sweet one hit kills on lights, and only at 60-70% heat. They're not super durable, but they last longer than a Victor with all the structure/armor buffs now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pooncha posted:

-8Q: aniviron's Tesla Tits, and my version

aniviron posted:

Post-Quirkening, the 8Q is a scary loving monster. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=0d4d7e17409c9dd3744fb2f2944d06e0128eb79d you can fire all day and not overheat, 4ppc alphas for those sweet sweet one hit kills on lights, and only at 60-70% heat. They're not super durable, but they last longer than a Victor with all the structure/armor buffs now.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=d15b2cb607672f6fade8b1766137ffdc7b11cedd

Same weapons. Same heat sinks. 300 standard instead of a 250 or 275.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Who cares about LP when the goal has always been Butte Hold

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
That works too. :getin:

I'll add it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
The Cataphract was not "one of the originals from beta," what the gently caress.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What the christ is wrong with all of you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Allen Wren posted:

What the christ is wrong with all of you

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Well besides brain damage we now have a bad case of the crabs.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I found the new OP bullshit light

No skills, no modules, no gods, no masters

This was with me immediately crashing out before coming back a third of the way through the match. What a loving metal baby

I hope someday they bring the Jenner F up to par, I miss my racecar

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My first account got banned for keeping it too real in chat

My second account got its name taken away. I am currently negotiating with GM Patience about that

In the meantime, I can't stand being slow - what's a medium mech that pays bills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

I found the new OP bullshit light

What do you mean new? Firestarters have always been top dog light.

• Locked thread