Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Of course you added my toxx to the OP. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I challenge you all to be thread king of this new thread.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Great Beer posted:

None of us will ever be as spergy about robots as you, Kaz.

Naaaaaah there are bigger spergs than me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Okay so last time I checked, clan mechs were pay to win only mechs. Has that changed? Do you still have to pay real money to have one? Cause all I really want to do is play around with a Timberwolf.

You can buy a Timbow with CBills now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Less talk more squawk in here, IMO.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A reminder to new birds. Don't talk about apple bottom jeans, or the Sega Dreamcast in chat or you might get temp banned.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Post more you say? I can do that. I'm not honestly sure how I racked up 400 posts but I guess drugs, Satan, unclean women and Scientology are to blame.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Widestancer posted:

I can do the post more thing.

Play the game god drat!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mutlicrew in WWII online is some of the most fun I've had while gaming. Shout out to Banano.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wow, caress you gently MODPUD.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

As long as people who play the game critique the builds, they should be okay.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ferengi rule of acquisition #357: don't build shame

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll stop being lazy and contribute some builds for the mechs I use.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Normally I don't poo poo on other people's mechs but if they're in a resource that's supposed to be for new people(or if they have lrms) I'm going to have to speak up and say something. It won't necessarily be constructive though, because the last time I went constructive and gave someone an alternative build they used it for like an hour, complained about how bad it was, and then went back to using lrms and contributing next to nothing every round

Just to be clear, that was a mumble joke. I have yet to look at the builds listed in the OP.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #102: Sometimes declare peace, it confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a few crab builds I've been working on. If you want some express advice, I'll be on mumble in 15.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Yes. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=9d2791d9536ee39125bf89c2dd83c90eb4a55c92

It has an XL engine, but I haven't found that to be a problem yet. It runs amazingly cold, has great pinpoint damage at 100 to 500 meters, and moves decently quickly for a crab.

Gauss ammo doesn't blow up, so stick it on the Gauss arms to help absorb some crit damage.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

TBK I love you and all but you need to get that stupid designed-by-committee bracket build bullshit out of here

BRAWL ALL DAY! LRMS ARE THE DEVIL!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

What is the Mumble server? I haven't been on it since closed beta.

Is this poo poo listed in the OP? I can't tell. :(

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tonnage limits will hopefully make lesser used mechs shine again. Especially ones not at top weight for their class. Here's to hoping.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

While I'll never personally run LRMs I have had great success in my Raven tagging/narcing for goon LRM boats. No goon I've run into has been stupid enough to take ONLY LRMs without 2-4 MLs as backup. You can absolutely use them to good measure just most people have forgotten this mythical art in favor of brawling all the time.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The narc module coupled with good spotting and communication wrecks poo poo. The lesson here is don't try an advanced strategy if your TEAM can't pull it off.

e: or doesn't want to pull it off

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This game is alive because of a super hardcore fan base willing to spend crazy amounts of money on internet robots. The game is also fun. Once you get into it, you'll have a hard time getting that feeling of satisfaction from another multiplayer sim-like game. Playing in a team is key, of course. I drop solo a decent amount because I know the game and what mechs do what, etc. Game awareness takes hours to master in this game, with similar situations requiring wholly different strategies. I encourage anyone to try and get past the horrid GUI and try to just play the game. Use your mechbros and gals as advice givers, but also TRY poo poo OUT because that's how you learn. Sure, you're new, and someone might build shame you. However, using a tool is the best way to know how to counter it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Gonna be honest "lrms i guess??" is probably not really an advanced strategy

nah, kiting out specific mechs for symbiotic roles, requiring an active spotter, good positioning, and communication doesn't seem advanced at all

not only does narc cancel the ecm on whatever target it hits, it lasts an ungodly long time and allows focused damage on a target through lrms without line of sight

have you not encountered a well played/balanced lrm team, gotten narced, and game over?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know, didn't we have at least one person fess up to buying one of those loving clan packages in the $150-$250 range? Because that idiot would have to take the cake.

loving wallet shaming.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

The crab is good.

Experience the ocean like never before! A stunning journey into a story untold! Crabs! Now on Broadway!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

So, I thought briefly on buying one of those packs to get the King Crab, because the King Crab looks fukkin' sweet. I thought to myself, 'hell, I can see myself sinking a 20 buck into this for a robit or two, no biggie. I have some money.'. Plus, I love the Panther, having used it for a while in a table top game RPG of Battletech.

Then I read the fine print. You need to buy the biggest pack. The one that costs 80 dollars.

And the King Crab will never come back, so they claim.

God damnit. Guess I ain't getting it.

Who here DID spring money for this thing?

It's okay man. The "champion" version of the mech is exactly the same model as the regular one. The regular King Crabs will all be available for cbills come January and are available for MC now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stormcrows are way too loving hard to kill. I have a harder time killing a Stormcrow than I usually do with an Assault or Direwolf.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Posting in this thread is a healthy way of passing the time while waiting for your match to start.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

"Fixed mechs occasionally floating in the air when their ground contacts were suddenly removed."

Excellent! Now if they fix the in game cursor bug I'd be a happy camper.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I use this build all the time and it is Good. If your twist game is strong and you are within 200 meters or so you can solo drat near any other assault mech in the game. It's surprisingly fast/agile for a 100 tonner, the ECM lets you be sneaky and lend sneakiness to your mechbros, and even if you are dumb and bad and get caught where you can't escape you can still kill another mech if you can survive long enough to get off three volleys.

definitely, I even use a 360 std for a bit more ground/twist speed

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

If you start to question this decision just play around in the Mechbay with UI 2.0 for a while and you'll be uninstalling again in no time!

You of all people should know the UI back and forth by now! :dukedog:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Why is that.

Sorry my PTSD was kicking in. I almost like the ui now that I'm used to it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Sorry my PTSD was kicking in. I almost like the ui now that I'm used to it.

Just kidding. PGI needs to make the mech overview interactive and it would be 100% better.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

You had me despairing for your sanity for a few seconds there.

They also need to streamline something to make it not take 2 to 4 seconds to process saving mech changes and other ridiculous slow operations in the lab.

Yes, sarcasm doesn't always translate well across the internet. Also, nothing I post should be considered serious.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Here's a repost from Paul about drop ships:

Drop Ships and How They Work

This keeps coming up in a lot of questions so I'll try to clarify as much as I can on the topic.

Consider Drop Ships a loan from the Faction you are aligned to. You are a space hitch-hiker and they're giving you a ride to the battlefield. The reason I say this, is that for the moment, you cannot modify or engage the Drop Ships as they bring players into the game.

You MUST bring 4 'Mechs into the match. The total tonnage of all 4 'Mechs must fall between 140 and 240 tons. You will not be able to save your Drop Ship configuration until this requirement has been met.

There is only one Drop Ship loadout at the moment. This is why you can switch 'Mechs in your Drop Ship right up until the point that the Match Maker kicks in and starts putting you into a match. You will have enough time to configure your Drop Ship if needed and you will also know if you're attacking or defending.

Prior to dropping into a match, make sure you select which 'Mech you want to drop into battle with on the first pass. If you're 'Mech gets destroyed, you will see the standard death screen like you currently do in public matches. On this screen is a Drop Ship selection button which will bring up the interface to allow you to choose your next 'Mech to pilot. On this screen you also see how much time is remaining before the next wave of Drop Ships head into the battlefield. I don't want to spoil what happens during this time so you'll have to wait and see. It's pretty cool!

Once all 4 of your 'Mechs are destroyed, you will be able to spectate just you can right now in public matches.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Looks like a video just went up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yipq9vOTt-k

It... contained a door. That was animated. I am genuinely surprised by this. Getting dropped off looks nice as well.

This has me genuinely excited.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anders set us up the faction so we can do this.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BUTTE HOLD CAN BE OURS!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WebDO posted:

I haven't looked at their proposed scoring mechanic for CW for some time, but at one point it seemed that it would be more efficient for 12 people to individually log onto Kerensky alts in the opposing faction and alt+F4 out of matches repeatedly than to actually bother fighting for your faction - is it still just number of wins for faction X versus faction Y?

You seem to gain more points for actually doing poo poo, not just winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

So how does this CW stuff work, but I can't seem to find how to join any CW matches.

Glorious Leader has to set the unit to a certain faction so you can fight over stuff.

• Locked thread