Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tagichatn posted:

Paul posted some more CW poo poo: link
Now you can see what you actually get for loyalty points. Total of 5 mechbays, 4500 mc and bunch of poo poo no one cares about. All this for the low low price of 800,000 loyalty points!

You can switch contracts like once a week, just get the low hanging fruit from each faction and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willfrey posted:

Awesomes suck. Maybe if there was sone tonnage limitation i could see bringing one. When i see one i think drat, somebody on the other team brought a dire/atlas/stalker

Post-Quirkening, the 8Q is a scary loving monster. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=0d4d7e17409c9dd3744fb2f2944d06e0128eb79d you can fire all day and not overheat, 4ppc alphas for those sweet sweet one hit kills on lights, and only at 60-70% heat. They're not super durable, but they last longer than a Victor with all the structure/armor buffs now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Great Beer posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=d15b2cb607672f6fade8b1766137ffdc7b11cedd

Same weapons. Same heat sinks. 300 standard instead of a 250 or 275.

Had mine set up that way because it used to be fun to switch out for a 6LL build and I wasn't going to switch back and forth between endo/standard. Doesn't really work with ghost heat these days though, your build is better for that.

EDIT: And I just so happen to have a spare 300std sitting around. Yay upgrades! Would probably have kept running a sub-sub-optimal mech otherwise. :thumbsup:

aniviron fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 11, 2014

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Number19 posted:

IGP never held the license. That has always belonged to PGI and will for a few years yet.

IGP held a sublicense from us to use the Mechwarrior name for Mechwarrior Tactics.

Do you know anything about the terms of the sublicense? Or can you tell us who would?

Because apparently the MW:Tactics license is being sold off as part of the IGP firesale, unless I am reading http://raymondchabot.com/en/assets-for-sale/26192 wrong.

And there is maybe interest in seeing if the community can buy it and make a game that's not poo poo out of it. But people want to know things about the license first.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Devorum posted:

If I activate my premium time, does it all activate at once, or can I do increments? I finally bought my Firestarter and want to kick start my earning...but I don't really want to activate all 120 days of my premium time if I don't have to.

You can activate your premium time 30 days at a time, but you must do it through the MWO website, you can't do it ingame. Trying to do it ingame leads to sadness.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Number19 posted:

FYI: I am off work until the new year. I may be a bit slower to reply than normal.

Enjoy it. CW is hecka fun, you guys did awesome; hope having time off helps after what I am assuming was some craziness.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Drakes posted:

How are the wolverine/shadow hawk/griffin medium mechs?

All I've known with mediums were centurians, but I saw this wolverine has dumb quirks that gives large pulse lasers like 50% more range. Grabbed that one and now I'm pretending to be a clan mech with stupid range high powered lasers.

The Shadow Hawk and Griffin are the two best IS mediums. Fast, agile, good numbers of hardpoints, good hitboxes, jumpjet options. Everything you could want. The Wolverine is too big and has bad hitboxes and was a garbage mech, but then they gave it some hella OP quirks to make up for that, so it's kind of a wash now. Generally speaking the Griffin is considered to be the best of the three right now though I think.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

Butte Hold is way the gently caress up in clan space right? This is gonna be a magical journey. Can't wait for the Davion tears when the masses realise everyone is joining up to push their poo poo in.

Butte Hold is about as far away from Liao territory as you can get. It's in the outer edge of what was Wolf territory, but House of Lords is hanging onto it now.

I hope you like a challenge.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

Found it, thank you. It is in the left torso.

Let's keep this going -

What is the best Jenner these days. And a decent build? I have all the non-hero ones from before the poo poo.

And what "pilot" skills? I have a ton of GXP I haven't spent. And what modules? Ugh... too much poo poo to re-learn.

The Jenners are all pretty equivalent these days. SRMs actually work so the 4ml 2srm4 DR7-D works great, but because of the SRMs it's better for bigger targets. It also runs kinda hot.

The JR7-F with 6ml is still pretty good but honestly the Jenners in general and the JR7-F in particular are now completely outclassed by Firestarters, which have the same speed, more hardpoints, better hitboxes, and great quirks. At least the JR7-D can run SRMs, and the Firestarters have no missile hardpoints.

The JR7-K is probably better than the F now just because of the MPL quirks. Stick four of them on there and be done with it. It's still strictly worse than a Firestarter though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I really don't have any problems switching from a Jenner to a Firestarter / Raven. I wish we had the wiki still, putting together some of these builds is tedious.

I was basically thinking about 1 light, 2 mediums - one long range, one brawler, and 1 assault.

For light I guess I'm looking at Firestarter / Raven, depending on whether or not I want ECM.
For the mediums I was thinking the old style brawling Centurion, and maybe the Hunchback Grid Iron for long range?
Then for assault the Atlas DDC.

That puts me at 235 tons for CW drops. Thoughts?

Raven is not so good, the leg hitboxes are bad. ECM is nice but not as mandatory as it used to be. I don't run Ravens in CW, they're too fragile and don't deal enough damage.

The standard Firestarter build is http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=139&l=95e4abe94d27580e9e7a7e8588c019feec683fdf but you can pick one of the others that has medium laser or mpl quirks if that's your thing.

Can't comment on the GI, the brawler cents are still okay. You can take a lot of damage in both which is great for CW.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

So the Nova doesn't seem all that bad. You can take a stock Prime, swap all of the ERML on one arm for ERSL and slap on 3 more DHS. 30-point alpha in one hand, 42-point in the other and you can small-medium-small for ~100 damage and not overheat as long as you wait half a second between shots.

It kind of feels like a Hunchback 4P on steroids (better aim with arm-mounted lasers but easier to lose them).

If you get in a brawl you just use the ERSL hand, you can fire it 4-5 times on cooldown before risking a shutdown (~18% heat per volley). 30 damage each time.

e: smurphy link

It's like a HBK-4P but less heat efficient, less agile, slower, the lasers have twice the burn time, the lasers are mounted in knuckle dragging arms instead of above the cockpit, and you're piloting the widest mech in the game with super terrible hitboxes. Also if you accidentally click .49s apart instead of .5s, you get the same heat as if you'd fired 12 cer mls at once which will kill you on about half the maps.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deofuta posted:

On a more serious note, I feel my life slipping away as I try to power through leveling the raven 2x and 4x. Do yall have some suggestions or builds to soften the blow?

various cheeses posted:

I like the 2X better than the 3L as of late. Max engine, 3ML, 1LPL. Cooldown modules for both. It's a fantastic peek sniper.

I will vouch for VC's build. I run http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=34&l=6fb609666b7874463152621954b8550136667e21 and it's probably my favourite light at the moment. Better than the JR7-F. I don't really snipe with it like he does though, I run it more as a harasser, and it is servicable but not amazing against other lights.

It doesn't do huge damage numbers (pretty rare for me to break 1k in pubs with it) but it racks up kills like crazy. It runs cool, the mech is very agile, and the lasers have a very quick burn time, all of which adds up to being able to put the damage exactly where you want it reliably.

As far as the 4X goes, well, I just took the engine and all the parts out of it. It was never great but before quirks it did alright with http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=35&l=f1306adfa9741425f46b7b94128ed2f142e9045e . Now that it's going up against quirked lights and all of its quirks are for MLPs with only two energy hardpoints, well... gently caress. Sorry man. I guess I had fun with http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=35&l=2227043fcd6ed6f00939225633e713188b08f194 even if it wasn't good; the best thing to say about that loadout is that it uses the 3L's stock engine so it's cheap assuming you didn't sell that and have an LB10 laying around for some reason.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

garth ferengi posted:

No trolling in the thread, please.

I know it's not a good robot but he asked for the best loadout for a RVN-2X. There's not a lot to work with there. It's not in the same league as any of the Firestarters, but he doesn't have a Firestarter. A well piloted RVN-2X with less terrible loadout won't carry you to wins in CW but it will help you have fun and win games in solo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

This is my current loadout, I'd appreciate any input you or other goons could give.

HBK-4SP

Personal preference but I would drop the artemis or go down to a 250 engine for two more mlas. You can't really afford to loiter in a medium, you're better off dealing your damage and getting out, and more lasers does that, and at a very modest tonnage cost.

That said, I haven't run my 4SP for more than about five games since it got the hilarious 52.5% missile cooldown was implemented so I dunno, if that build is working for you don't let me tell you how to robot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I assume your eyes are popping because of the screenshot that shows off the Centurion before the three different graphics passes that have made the mech progressively uglier each time?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So this means that they for sure have Urbanmech concept art. :sotw:

IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME

Probably also means that it's going to be some sort of exclusive "loyalty reward" that you have to have spent $200 on though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Westy543 posted:

We're all going to wake up on the 25th with urbies injected into our accounts.

Everyone gets a UM-R60! The catch is that you can't sell it like the other recent mechs, and the other variants are all MC only.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

garth ferengi posted:

I'm also glad that the thunderbolt 9s is a "meta mech", when I'm one of the people who made the meta

Look, I know you're great at destroying robots and all, but I think the 9S meta sort of came about when PGI announced some new quirks and people noticed that it got a loving bonkers 50% ERPPC heat reduction. You're not the only one brainy enough to realize that putting ERPPCs on the thing will suddenly be good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, looking at 4X it almost looks viable for CW with 5 JJ slots. I might buy one to experiment with if I get a chance to play tonight or tomorrow.

No! No, I won't let you do this. Actually, go ahead, but tell them all that aniviron warned you! The 4X is maybe pretty much the worst mech in the game, it's just so ridiculously lovely and awful and it will make you have less fun.

It was sort of okay by virtue of being the only Raven with jumpjets pre-quirkening which meant you could run the same twin ERLL loadout but with jumpjets (and two MGs, because you have the tonnage since your engine cap is arbitrarily low at 275) but honestly? gently caress the 4X. It's always been a steaming pile of poo poo, the very worst Raven. Two machineguns are not a credible threat, and you don't have the tonnage to mount anything bigger than a single AC5 unless it's a comedy build with no armor/ammo/speed. That means you're already piloting the Raven with its excrement-class leg hitboxes, and you have a grand total of three useful hardpoints.

Adding insult to injury PGI looked at this mech and said, "I know! Medium pulse laser quirks!" Great, so they give it pretty meh MPL quirks which is loving fantastic since you can take a maximum of two of them, making your deadliest loadout the incredibly underwhelming 2xmpl 1xsrm6 2xmg. I mean, gently caress, how did this even happen? The Firestarters all got better quirks despite being faster, having more hardpoints, and having hitboxes at least an order of magnitude better.

EDIT: Do not buy this mech. Not unless you want to get mastery for the 3L and then sell it. Even the 2X has sorta almost worthwhile quirks but do not buy this load of feces.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I remember. Come play.

Now do it in the voice of the little girls from The Shining.

It's pretty much the same implication.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Drakes posted:

Man I read their planned CW loyalty rewards and a lot of stuff includes mechbays.

Makes almost want to throw money at mwo.

The great part is that you don't need to throw money at it because of the loyalty stuff. Four mechbays isn't enough, but each faction has a mechbay at the second reward level, which is like an hour or two of play. So just change factions once every week until you've caught 'em all which leaves you with what, 14 mechbays?

Though your rewards for getting to that level aren't in yet (sounds like scientology) and I'm not really sure if the plan is to retroactively give the rewards to everyone who has the achievement, or only if you still have the right number of LP (which you lose by killing people). They haven't really made that clear afaik so it might be a huge waste of time right now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

RVN-3L "Nevermore": The original Nevermore used a pair of SSRM2s, but that was back when the NARC tube limited to two missiles at a time. Dumbfire SRMs are better in every way. This thing carries a reasonable amount of ammo, goes pretty fast, packs ECM. It's a good robot.

This is a nice build and all but you forgot to actually put the ECM on it. I would recommend removing the heatsink and half ton of ammo and then you have exactly what I run, which does pretty well. More ammo would be nice but it doesn't really run hot enough to need the heatsink anyway.

If you want a 2X to throw into that guide I recommend http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=34&l=6fb609666b7874463152621954b8550136667e21 but the 2X isn't a hugely noteworthy robot. If you want a 4X to put into the guide you should reevaluate the parts of your life that led to you having that desire.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The 2X would be pretty good if they ever got around to fixing the loving leg hitboxes (which means it will always be bad) but the 4X needs something pretty desperately, a hardpoint or two, or some batshit quirks that some of the other awful mechs got.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scoops posted:

Davion people are getting real into the RP part of this stuff aren't they?:

https://soundcloud.com/house-davion-official/daviontoliao

they say they are "appaled by Liao's atrocities." Man, they've really got a wakeup call coming when they meet the smoke jags.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think repeatedly knocking down Paul counts as an atrocity, but it's not like he didn't have it coming.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Drewjitsu posted:

^ ^ ^ EDIT: Really? Do tell. We thought that due to the preponderance of bugs that would get fixed, only to have them regress after a few patches, they had zero QA people. ^ ^ ^

Seriously, for all the things that they've done right(? Debatable), don't forget for a loving second that they straight up lied to the player base about the state of CW for the 2-3 years it was in :airquote:development:airquote:. As in, they didn't work on it at all until well after the release of the game, when they had been saying the entire time they had been working on it.

That's pretty despicable poo poo. The game is fun, but don't forget you have major shitbags at the helm.

In the last town hall Russ just straight up said that CW was in development for a total of three months, with no work done in the previous two years, so that is official.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Westy543 posted:

Paul posted yesterday that he was writing up proposals to the team for Solaris arena. :black101:

I can't find this, where did he say this? I need screenshots so they can regret ever telling us anything ever later.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

CW can be fun but to say its the only way to play nowadays is a bit shortsighted really. Plus outside of faction rewards it is kind of pointless. Yay numbers on map change whoop de shitboggle. Your imaginary faction has a higher score that means nothing woo go Packers Red Sox Nation yeah!

Devil's advocate: What part of any computer game amounts to something more than numbers changing on a screen?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

64 bit is working dandy for me. Managed to squeeze a few more frames out of the game since I have a lot of fast RAM that wasn't being used before.

Oh also since you mention .pak files, I have a bumpers.pak that removes the intro videos, and would be happy to share it if anyone wants it. Does anyone want it? I just find the extra few seconds annoying since you can't skip each one for a second or two.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

From my experience piloting it, the goofiness translates to high mounted lasers - I've had a lot of luck poking enemies over hills.

Re: The sale - Maybe grab some of the better heroes? Ember is pretty solid, although not the best of the Firestarters. Misery is apparently another solid Hero mech.

More importantly the goofiness means it's very, very hard to hit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OB_Juan posted:

It's a slow medium with wonky hardpoints and mediocre quirks.

Don't forget that it's hugely overscaled and has abysmal hitboxes. Also it's very low on its end of the weight bracket.

It's sort of a perfect storm of what makes a robot bad, there's a reason it beat the Nova as the absolute lowest scoring chassis in the last tournament.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know why I'm thinking of giving this another shot. It still sounds like :pgi: will only learn enough of a lesson to barely keep things under control... so much wasted time, such intolerable arrogance.

:sigh: Is the Summoner any good? Because if it's not, then at least I know not to bother.

Hate to say it, but the Summoner is pretty bad. It's struggling desperately for hardpoints, comes with five mandatory tons of Jumpjets and no endo steel. Pretty much the only good build for it is 5srm6/5ssrm6, which the Stormcrow does but faster and with better hitboxes, albeit no JJs.

On the upside, some of the clan mechs look sorta iffy (ugh those Timber Wolf legs...) but the Summoner is gorgeous. And I guess it's going to get quirks soon to make it less bad; it already got a few, but they aren't nearly enough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Lemming posted:

Stay close to your Dad, your Dad will protect you

Edit: If you are a Dad, make sure you pat your Sons on the head, so they know you care

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeaaaah, the trial/prime Adder is really bad. I dunno if ERPPCs are weird in this or I ma just not used to how this game handles, but they're hard to hit with and the Adder has no real armor and loses a less at a stern glance. While being slow as rear end.

It's in a weird place.

That said, how do sensors/detection work? Seems like so much as a small hill blocks a mech from being seen/showing on radar. While a a blip on said otherside of the hill is actually a group of four that I just jumped into to bounce a guy.

Fun times.

ER PPCs are too hot to really be all that good. The hit detection on them is okay, they're just really slow. And yes, the Adder is slow for a light, and the stock loadout has a 3/1 split front/back which is not helping things at all. The Adder actually does better with torso mounted weapons because they're higher up, but it's still not that great.

Sensors are based on line of sight. There is no radar that goes through walls; if you can see someone with LOS, it's because a teammate has them targeted currently. The only exceptions are UAVs which can be launched into the air (but still need LOS to detect) and seismic sensor which doesn't let you target through objects but does show nearby hostiles on the minimap.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

teepo posted:

the raven 2x is pure torture

Try http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=34&l=6fb609666b7874463152621954b8550136667e21 . At least it gets super short, fast lasers. If you think the 2X is bad, the 4X is going to ruin you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ZombyDog posted:

Another caveat, while it may be fun to try peak sniping with your AC20 because despite it's short range it still delivers hurt thanks to it's extended falloff ( being a ballistic and all ), it's a low mount and is prone to being blocked by any cover roughly in it's vicinity.

Ballistics only have double falloff now, like lasers. They got nerfed a few months back.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

LordBaxter posted:

Okay I just faced off against a battlemaster who was doing 50+ damage alphas with a combination of MPLs and LPLs. poo poo's loving scary, he stripped my side torsos on my thunderbolt and did damage to the internals with one shot each.

Thunderbolt talking about quirks being too strong on other mechs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Do you guys get to play much? Or do you even want to? I could see how spending so much time working on the game could leave you with little desire to actually play.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Panther will be the next one out, so I'm guessing that whether or not we see the Hollander will be based on whether or not the Panther is complete garbage or not. If it's not, there may be a niche for less than fast snipercannon lights. If it's terrible, we probably won't see the Hollander for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Having one hell of a frustrating day with the tournament. I had a 35% qualifying games rate in Victor event, down to 31% despite the easier critera now as 15 of the last 16 games I have played have been losses.

edit: gently caress I'm so close to done. I have a lot of time and not a lot of money these days so I sorta have to play these events to keep playing MWO in any meaningful fashion but they're so loving unfun that I just don't touch the game for a couple weeks after, just completely saps my desire to play.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 18, 2015

• Locked thread