Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

None of us will ever be as spergy about robots as you, Kaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pooncha posted:

-8Q: aniviron's Tesla Tits, and my version

aniviron posted:

Post-Quirkening, the 8Q is a scary loving monster. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=0d4d7e17409c9dd3744fb2f2944d06e0128eb79d you can fire all day and not overheat, 4ppc alphas for those sweet sweet one hit kills on lights, and only at 60-70% heat. They're not super durable, but they last longer than a Victor with all the structure/armor buffs now.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=d15b2cb607672f6fade8b1766137ffdc7b11cedd

Same weapons. Same heat sinks. 300 standard instead of a 250 or 275.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kenyan Mangrove Crab:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=c0dda92e34f5a8deff4c398ad4af7c109e6c58e0

Block with the left, try not to get seperated from your team. Maybe sacrifice some more of the left arms armor to bring another heat sink. King Crab arms suck at blocking and have a +17hp armor buff that they don't need. Its also slow as hell, especially un-tweaked, but can keep pace with a Dire Wolf.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Number19 posted:

There are no references to brown sea people at all in the planet descriptions to my knowledge.

Those things were a ripoff anyway. Just dried brine shrimp eggs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ironically the organization that pubs whined about being able to zerg rush in CW due to superior numbers is getting zerg rushed by pubs with superior numbers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kingcom posted:

Yeah it totally happened it just failcascaded by the time the clans invaded.

Except like, this is the single time period in history where the inner sphere put down their own personal conflicts so none of this makes any sense whatsoever relative to the 'canon' timeline but yea your probably right.

Honestly? Wasting time and resources on petty border squabbles while the Clans are invading seems perfectly in line with the IS factions.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So after running drops all day watching people in Dragon 1N's tearing poo poo up, I went and bought one. Anyone have a preferred fit for this bad boy?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=10&l=b8d750711307a3eb8eee8fbe54b1517de18dd097

I use the left arm to block with, which has come in handy a few times in CW. You can also strip that armor off and run another ton of AC5 ammo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Darksaber posted:

So my drop deck is normally a CN9-A (MLs & SRMs), HBK-4SP (ssrms/ml), TDR-5SS (the mpl build linked a bit ago), and a CPLT-K2 (gauss). I'd like recommendations on what to replace. I've never been great with lights, and I can't seem to get any success with the CPLT, so I'm looking to get rid of that. I'll probably replace the Cent with a streak Kintaro too, but I'm open to any suggestions.

If you're going kintaro, swapping the k2 for a cataphract 3d would be a good upgrade.

I'd give lights another try though. The way they play in the main game and the way they get used in cw are fairly different. More distraction and objective blasting and less standing in boxes and dueling other lights. Freeing up some tonnage gives you a few more options, possibly enough for an assault mech.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

Always have one light for CW whether you are good at them or not.

Leave fast for last when attacking.

Also this. General strategy so far has been long range energy mechs and a light or two on the first wave, mediums/heavies on wave two, heavies/assaults on wave three, lights on wave four. The exact mechs are up to you but being able to contribute to that waves goal is important. A wave four stalker may get left behind, for example.

Other general tips:
We play very aggressively on offense. A 48 kph atlas or King crab may find itself left behind and not able to contribute to the main furball until it's too late. Gotta Go Fast.

You will die. Don't worry about it. Being down 3 to 12 after the first push isn't uncommon or even necessarily a bad thing if you were able to kill their turrets.

XL brawlers are still stupid, please don't. Dragons are amazing poo poo wreckers but poo poo at taking damage. If you notice a large number of them on the team, it might be worthwhile to change to something brawly just do we don't have 6 dragons tangled up on each other getting blasted by lerms and enemy brawlers.

Do not ever back up in an assault. You're blocking a teammate and slowing the entire push. Harassers behind can be dealt with by others.

Ignore mechs that have had all of their guns blown off, they're useless.

Try to bring a cbill bonused mech at some point in the game. You'll get a shitload of extra cash. These are great for wave one since they don't matter as much as the later waves.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Bad sure is the correct choice of word for that linked mech! 300 engine atlases are baaaaaaaad. Lasers remain a trap on atlas brawlers, but it's not bad to keep them in the CT case of weapon loss. Don't bother with the useless CASE. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=216&l=bc5767f5e200da34766e2785a46fccd474585257 isn't terrible, but I would still leave out a laser and add another heatsink to support the SRM vomit. I'd probably even lose both lasers and add more SRM ammo.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=216&l=b25626658e22efeafe63a1a20096ae04edd92105

Gotta go fast. This thing will never live long enough to use all of its ammo because its a brawling atlas. Its probably oversinked for the cold maps but it should be able to keep up its fire on the hot ones. Stick the SRMs on two weapon groups, ac20 on the third because ghost heat will get you shut down so fast. No lasers because they reduce your ability to deliver missiles and ac20 shells.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DiHK posted:

No, you are bad. SRM4's have .14 more DPS with the quirk.

SRM6's have 15 more points of alpha damage. And still get 7.5% faster cooldown.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drakes posted:

If twist speed wasn't tied to engine size it just sounds like lights would have harder times circling assaults/heavies. Then those big guys could just load up on weapons/armor and still track alright?

I would assume in this hypothetical scenario that twist speed would be set per mech. So lights would be twisty and fast, assaults would be appropriately slow, and various levels in between for mediums/heavies, depending on chassis. And then on top of that some mechs would get twist speed quirks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I love that pubbies have to chime in to demand he recognise them as well.

They successfully defended our borders from our allies. :bravo:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prawned posted:

I'm just upset that it took me this long to discover they've FINALLY added what the game has been missing, and everyone has now got their money's worth. I mean it took them 2.5 years to figure out, but the ability to drop on an empty map is really really fun.

How long has CW been in?!?! I've probably missed literal weeks of watching a dropship loadscreen and a planet change to green after.

You've been trying to solo drop in the CW queue haven't you.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prawned posted:

It's the good design for which PGI is known.

Yeah, don't do that. 12 man or nothing because it will never match you with anyone. Liao is the lowest population group in the IS factions so there's maybe 20 people in the Liao queue that aren't us. Your options as a solo player are too bash your head against the Fair and Balanced clans with 11 other solo pubs, find 11 other goons to shoot Davions with, or gently caress off.

I'm not sure if the other factions have the same turret shooting rate but you could try joining one and finding out. Or keep whining in the thread. Your call.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Can we talk about how bad you are at literally everything and how you really should die in a car fire

I don't see why an innocent car has to suffer for his badness.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kilazar posted:

Going to have to drop 6mil for this config. Is this poo poo worth it?

Here is how it looks.
DHS, Endo, 245xl
Max armor everywhere but legs legs are 32/32
Ac 20 4 t ammo. 1t head, 2 T RT
2 SRM six, 2t ammo. one T in each leg.
1 DHS in the LA

This feels like a bad mech lol. But I like the idea of running around in a medium punching people in the face.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=8&l=52de39fda2b1d4f54c37024e105bc4a4543133f2

It is a bad mech. It just doesn't have the tonnage to make use of missiles with an AC20 while still moving an acceptable speed. If you want to run around punching people in the face with an AC20, the hunchback 4G is probably a better option. Or if you're Mech Romney and have the need for speed:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=45&l=d65bd72458b30f9f0eafc92693083f36fcd25a84

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Washout posted:

What is a good drop deck for me to make? I may as well start playing again since I got the free 7 days of premium.

I also have:
Founders Atlas
Reward Atlas
Reward Centurion

I'd prefer if a cent and a stalker were in there, I used to really like the laserdrill, and I'm happy to hear it is viable again. But I've not heard if the cents are any good or not, from what I've read they are not terrible anymore though.

With just what you have?

Stalker, Spider 5D, Cent A, Jager of your choosing with gauss or AC20s.

If you're going to be getting new mechs, consider the Thunderbolt-9SS or the Dragon-1N. Both have gotten insanely dangerous since quirks got added. Firestarters are good too. The MPL and SPL ones in particular stand out but you've got jenners already so if your playtime is limited its probably not worthwhile to grind them out too.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 23, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

I only ever put ammo in my fully-armored legs... who puts ammo in unarmored legs? Do they hope ou adhere to some weird 'no legging' e-honor bullshit? And if they do, how do they justify abusing said e-honor rule by putting vital equipment in a safe spot? :psyduck:

Idiots, yes, they don't

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mbottoms posted:

Yes! Exactly like Angry Felines! We should rename them.

Careful, you may upset Phorashi if you do.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Supraluminal posted:

With the caveat that I haven't even tried CW yet: It seems like, if your objective is to disincentivize light rushes, you shouldn't decrease the strength of the main gun and set up dispersed, relatively fragile targets to destroy. Isn't that pretty much what light Mechs are good at?

If you want people to actually duke it out, you probably need some kind of king-of-the-hill take and hold objective, at least somewhere in the chain of goals.

Some conquest style control points instead of the mini generators would work nicely. Slows the push and gives both sides time and a reason to shoot robots instead of generators.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Well poo poo. Probably the dragon pack maybe? gently caress, it's got the wrong dragon hasn't it?

Its got Flame, the 1C, and the 5N champion. You could sell the 1C and get the 1N, I guess. Flames just a better 1C/fatter hunchback and the 5N is tolerable for grinding.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kylra posted:

Looking a bit closer it's probably Fang that's better. I am not well versed in Dragons though.

Fang is poo poo. Do not get Fang. Its better post-quirks but its still not good because AC10s are big heavy wastes of space. Flames shoulder ballistic lets you peek over hills and not lose your main gun arm to a single alpha.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Willfrey posted:

So what is the over/under when 228 gets tired of MP?

I'm expecting a lords style split personally.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lemming posted:

The red, swollen, pained rears in this thread could be seen from space.

but how do you really feel

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Ahaha that's even funnier. Can't imagine why people wouldn't want to roll with the fun loving guys and gals at WoL!

*goons lose match, plug their ears yelling "JUST HAVING FUN" while unironically calling modpud a tryhard tranny*

Most of them are in FLJK because they can run their clan mechs. Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Fellow mobile users might find this useful, I personally love it - aweMech. It's a mobile mech lab for Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=aweFalafel.mechlab

It's very early into development, but it makes smurfy pages super readable and lets you export out to smurfy, too. It just came out a few days ago, but not bad.

More importantly, it actually works without being slow and useless like smurfy does on mobile.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

What are people's opinion of the battlemaster? It looks like it can do most of what stalkers do, lrmboat and laser drill.

I find the 1G (I think. The one with 3 shoulder energy hard points) has a very tiny niche of being a front line tank for heavy/medium waves in CW. It's fast-ish so it can stay at the front while using those big, armor boosted arms to spread damage around. Its quirks are decent and those high mounted mls let you shoot over teammates if they get in front of you.

Outside of that one specific use it's a brawling assault in a sniper game so it does about as poorly as you would expect. Not worth buying three to grind up, for sure.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

Are you thinking of the Puma/Adder? If so, yes. it is in.

The cougar is a different clan mech. I think its a 3060 chassis. And no it's not in.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

The Adder is pretty much the same thing as the Cougar but with faster ground speed and no jump jets.

It also looks better and has ballistic arms.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's also a windows option to allow programs to take full control of PC audio. Might be that. If other programs are crashing though it may be a sound driver issue.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drakes posted:

I'm finding myself having difficulty playing mediums compared to when things were 8 mans. Its like a mixture of flanking being more difficult with larger groups and SRMs having no more splash damage to smooth out targeting. I feel screwed playing mediums if I can't stick something with atleast 400m optimal range on it.

Mediums are in a rough spot. Theyre either slightly slower lights with bigger profiles or heavies with less armor.

If you're going to play a brawler like the Cent A or the Hunch 4G, you can't be the first into a fight. Hang out near a flank shooting people who try to get around and wait it out while the assaults break each other, then play cleanup. This does not apply in CW, where mediums should only be brought for tonnage saving purposes and fitted with long range weapons and big engines. For that case, bring whichever one fills up your tonnage and that you think looks nicest.

If you don't want to brawl, try out the Cent D with an XL and the LBX10. Its not the most effective thing in the world but the LBX spraying shells is fun. The other option is, of course, Stormcrow. Its a pretty good robot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Super 3 posted:

Anyone have any recommended Battlemaster builds? I have them sitting in my garage un played because I'm enjoying the Thunberbolts right now.

On the 1g, 4x ml, 2x ll, standard 350, some heat sinks.

1S: Mawesome rides again http://goo.gl/5okrVS

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

He has nights that he continuously crashes out. Crash -> re-launch -> re-join -> re-crash ->repeat into infinity.

Considering no one else is having that problem maybe he should upgrade to a computer that isn't poo poo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Luceid posted:

I need to buy an assault from this sale. Which one is best?

Stalker 3F or king crab.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dragging out matches by hiding is just lame IMO

An unusually handsome member of PGIs staff confirmed with the CSR team that you can and should screenshot/report teams that don't play. "Deliberate non-participation", as he put it, is already against the rules.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah I straight up posted in the thread that we'd probably be doing exactly that if it got shitlers to cry and we were on our back heel.

But I also pointed out that we wouldn't probably do it if we already had the upper hand.

We wouldn't do it because its loving boring. We aren't above intentionally throwing a match but we'd be suicide charging in all day every day to do it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Orv posted:

Clearly bullshit, no-one drives Battlemasters.

I drive battlemasters and run basically the same thing, only with MLs instead of MPLs and extra heat sinks. Shits mean.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Marathanes posted:

Rather than just making GBS threads up the thread, why not constructively offer some feedback as to what you consider to be good mechs then?

You must be new here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Anticheese posted:

The Mawesome is still an amazing mech and you're a bad person for saying otherwise.

BLR-1S is the old mawesome with 5 extra tons, more armor, and beefier arms to block with. And it goes faster than the current mawesome.

• Locked thread