Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Autsj posted:

Pudding makes good builds- polite criticism, not so much.

Well I tried politeness during a match once and much to my chagrin none of the enemy crab flipped upside down and ragdolled off the nearest hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Re: streak crows. You can put decent damage on bigger target if you fire them at an angle. Sure the missiles try to evenly split between sections of the mech, but they don't really care how they get there. So if you fire them from their right side, even the ones meant to go for the left arm and left torso will actually slam into the right side. If this happens on a locust the first volley can make it instantly explode.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

That seems... dumb. And somehow emblematic of PGI's cack-handed attempts to fix problems arising from the original poor decision to rigidly port dumb tabletop rules into a first-person real-time 3D video game.

It can get better/worse on other things as well. Imagine a fast target on the move torso twisting just as they're about to hit. the results are pretty random.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Well besides brain damage we now have a bad case of the crabs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Tujague posted:

My first account got banned for keeping it too real in chat

My second account got its name taken away. I am currently negotiating with GM Patience about that

In the meantime, I can't stand being slow - what's a medium mech that pays bills?

A medium? Stormcrow hands down. It's weight, engine rating and built in upgrades combined with a solid set of hardpoint choices across all switchable sections means you can run it in a staggering amount of configurations. After the up front cost it is surprisingly cheap to run and mod. Besides the initial mech it costs 258k once per arm/sidetorso etc and the first times you buy new guns, ammo and equipment will set you back a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs less than getting 3 of a lot of IS chassis' for the sake of getting all the hardpoint layouts. As for elite skills I am sure they are nice but on a stormcrow they are a nice perk that you absolutely do not need.

Get the missile one, load it with streaks and play conquest if you can stand it. Besides getting extra cbills for every conquest point, the objective of the game means you can guestimate that the sort-of far away cap points will have lights chasing after it, making the first moves sort of predictable. Start a match going after one of those and with 97kph you will arrive not too long after an enemy light gets there, ready for you to munch on.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Then you have one. And a new atlas. And a new (well sort of) cent.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

That was taken out suspiciously right before a mc-only mech came out that was oddly similar in its layout!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Looks like a video just went up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yipq9vOTt-k

It... contained a door. That was animated. I am genuinely surprised by this. Getting dropped off looks nice as well.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Also maybe I'm behind on the times but I went into the in game galaxy map for the first time, immediately spotted this.

Which one of you fucks is responsible for this beauty.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That's seriously part of official Battletech Lore. PTN could confirm this.

Yeah I just got informed on that. Shows what I know of battletech :v:. But the text, at least part of it, certainly is aimed at us. Or one of us to be more precise.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

What was/is the Rock em Sock em Garg bug.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Are drop locations set in stone or are there a few spots to choose from?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

No there was actually a Skynet type AI run amok mentioned in a sourcebook somewhere, I'm too lazy to find the reference on Sarna though.

e: Wait, CW is live right now? gently caress, patching up again. :negative:

Might be, but this isn't about that ai!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Played cw twice. First time was on defence and we lost because at some point they surrounded the generator, even though we were leagues ahead with the score. Was a good game. Second game we were on offense but no one showed up to defend the base. That was hilarious. Can enemy teams drop in after a round of that has started? Do you win by default if this happens while defending? I mean for defence the conditions are 48 kills or 30 minutes of successful defence, so...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The crab suffers from being a massive target and pretty loving slow. If you stick two AC/20s in it you can just about fit a 350 standard and ammo for them before you run out of tonnage. For big tonnage brawlers I can't really see a reason to not go with the D-DC now ECM is a thing again, but if you must use the Crab then I'd probably jam in UACs and large lasers or PPCs. Probably large lasers.

In CW the conditions are different to the point where it things may be very different. You don't see a lot of boomjagers in the wild these days because of their obvious shortcomings, but as base defense they can be killer in CW once your fights start getting close to the generator. Maybe the crab can be good for that same thing. It won't matter as much that it's slow when the targets are forced to come towards it.

E: its probably due to how bad the in game builder is, but I found smurfy to be fine.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 13, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Saw a spider with 2 mplas in the ct and nothing else, running a std engine about 150kph. surprisingly tough.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Aesis posted:

Probably this SDR-5V. 25% MPL Cooldown, Heat Generation and Range, and -25% MPL Duration. tbh Spider has more disadvantages than advantages that it's just not viable using one, unless you want an ECM capable light with JJ.

I think this person just ran it because they are used to running in lights and just wanted to piss people the gently caress off. I think it worked. He got about 500 damage on that space map. Was pretty handy!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The two actual games of CW I managed to play last night were actually pretty great, and reminded me a lot of the "defend the desert pass" mission in MW4: Mercs. Highlights included someone trying to do the "hide in the cannon" trick and having Mindblast bail him anyway, our group trying and failing to remember the NATO alphabet past L (thanks to respawns being given a new call letter) and just making it up on the fly ("Thomas and Niko are through the gate!" "Q?? What the gently caress is Q?" "Xylophone is trying to flank") and generally rolling the attackers in both games. Sadly our two attack missions were against empty planets and attacking turrets is boring as poo poo.

Yeah when I noticed what was going on, I got worried for a sec what with what I read up front about it: once someone gets there the cannon geometry supposedly makes the mech impossible to hit. I was wrong in the best of ways!

Most memorable callout was for LL. Can the goons guess what we came up with for that one? :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I wonder how long it will be before brown sea discussions of is vs clan cw show up with all the clan apologists. Hell it's probably already happening

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

There's already at least one guy I've seen complaining that the IS quirks make them overpowered compared to clan mechs and that the clan engine restriction is in some way unfair. Yes, it's a real pain having that 330XL in your Stormcrow so all you can fit on it is LITERALLY ANYTHING YOU COULD POSSIBLY WANT.

Right now I still think light mechs are the only thing IS does better and that's just a matter of the currently available chassis in the game, no? I mean surely there are more 30-35 ton clan lights that actually do go fast. E: how about the cougar? Forgot it's clan designation. EE: nope, that thing's also comically slow. Wrong example!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Lrms may work on defence on the ice map, once attackers move past the gate. Tons of open space there. Even then it's probably best as a way to disorient the target while your pinpoint hammers drill the bot to pieces. Problem is you don't know whether or not you get that map until after fully locking in and on that caustic map I'd argue it will be a waste against teams with a bit of organisation. A bit of a gamble.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Aesis posted:

Huh so hit detection is bugged after patch, especially with lasers. Back to the old days when you had to aim in front of light mechs to register any hit :v:

Yeah I'm having odd results as well. Got my first timber and while it feels awesome I feel I can't rely on beam weapons and need streaks for a source of reliable damage. I'm not the best aimer but not the worst either.

I'm not too sure the other weapons are that reliable either. At least srm24 volleys barf so much in a spread that at least some of it hits.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I legit missed prawned posts. :allears:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh will you two kiss and make up already. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Plek posted:

:allears:

It can't just be the crash and burn of t-verse that is causing this, holy poo poo. Also a sp campaign is all I ever really wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. They should have more manpower and it's their main source of income.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

demonR6 posted:

That explains where they came from, they all three sport the same anime looking graphics. I still have the 20k MC from founders so I can dick around with these mechs and get them set up.

I thought it was nordic mythology. :confused:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Don't turn into chomp 2 man. :(

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

For the new players that are fine with solo dropping: if you don't mind the conquest game mode, set your pref to purely dropping in that mode. On top of everything else that gives you cbills normally, you get 50 cbills per conquest point that you team had at that point in time. So if you win with, say, 11 kills but that last light keeps running away you get 37,5k extra from the 750 conquest points.

No premium or hero bonus, only conquest wub wub.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Are all the IS trials champions these days?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Drakes posted:

Wait wait clan mech don't explode when losing a side torso even through they all have XLs? gently caress the clans :argh:.

XL engines of the clans expand only two slots per side torso. Three slots worth of engine need to be destroyed to shut a mech off, so in mwo that means destroying both side torso's. Clan also has the CASE system built into every section of their mech. As a passive, meaning it takes no weight or slots.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Haven't received the mail yet. Guess I will check the sea!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The code expires on the 31st and seems to be universal for everyone. Just redeem Holiday2014 on the site and it should start working the next time you log in the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pretty much same here. I think I only need one in the end due to how clan tech works. They sell for close to 5m so that will make the last two cheaper.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Your ammo is on the opposite side of where the weapon is mounted. Imagine what would happen if your ammo explodes.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Which is sort of funny because when the victor first appeared a lot of people were :geno: about it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

I'd just buy mechbays and premium time. There are some alright hero mechs, but most of them are either junk or not as good as one of the regular variants (aka the one you'll want to bring to CW). Firebrand looks good because you can build a boomjager out of it, Illya is good with dual gauss. Everything else I'm not sure about.

People dig Misery but I'm not sure how pricey that thing is.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The only interesting thing I've seen with lrms recently is a mad dog build designed around constantly shaking the poo poo out of the enemy cockpit nonstop so they dont know wtf to do. Which is easily countered by ecm and some ams.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

While it has more protection than the heavier lights each section only has a bit more hp than the jenners/firestarters etc while being quite a bit bigger. Shooting cicadas always felt easier than dem lights.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

It's called trying to be funny. I recommend trying it sometime as opposed to taking this game so loving seriously. I know you can do it because I have seen you be a decent enough bloke in other threads as opposed to the joyless and miserable Autist you are in every MWO thread on SA.

Giant robots are awesome. Have fun with the giant robots. Stop taking them so loving seriously. I mean you seem to have actually started playing the game again instead of spending a good year or so being a whiny stick in the mud who complains about something he isn't actually playing so you are getting there. I sense the conflict within you, the fun game player who wants to come out and who doesn't actually care about his KDR or any of that other irrelevant happy horseshit.

Let the fun flow. Let your angry mechasperg wash away with the morning tide. Shoot robits and talk about how drunk or high you currently are or were sometime during the week. Or enjoy those who do such bodily harming things as they have great stories one can gain insights from. Or at least a chuckle.

Which is what I'm doing. Even when I get LRM spammed and grouch on it I'm having fun of a sort. (Blowing off steam in a harmless way.). When the game has it's unfun times I just don't loving play the game and rarely read and or post about it.

Peace and love.

Lol if you think he takes robuttin seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I thought they picked a random section but either way once they've picked and started firing their aim is perfect, it'll not stray off target as long as it can see the part it is homing in on.

E: this is what probably kills lights so easily, since they'll hit rear side torsos like its nothing.

• Locked thread