Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

TOILETLORD posted:

take something good, and then go out of your way to add as much extra poo poo as possible to it to try and make it more badass than something that was already badass, end up with a cartoon made for children. they lose a bunch of points for just having the guy playing max speak. plus the new lord humungus looks dumb, cyborg people, what the hell, half the fun of the originals was that it was just normal people becoming horrible people. That's gone kinda takes a lot away from the film.

they also kinda lose out because they went for the OMG epic film bringing the ninja dilemma 1 ninja dangerous 1000 not a threat. Looks like they are trying to just make a peter jackson movie on wheels. What's the deal with them showing so many pale rear end people why don't any of the actors have tans, and why do they look like they got 5 baths a day.

Hollywood always focuses now on movies doing one thing good then poo poo on everything else so they have something to market and you almost always end up wityh something fun to watch maybe once for the spectacle then afterwards gets forgotten.

poo poo, went down hill fast after they stopped using real film, and they started to pay actors millions, quick tip, fire any actor who wants more than a million dollars and just hire people who want to work. Heck hollywood would probably benefit if they full nonunion again.

Most movies these days are poo poo. Most movies made back in the good old days were also poo poo, but you've forgotten about them because they made no impression on you and never made it to DVD. In 5/10/20 years you'll have forgotten all the bad movies you watched this year, but you'll have the good ones saved to a microchip in your teeth or something. It takes a monumental effort to make me hate a movie more 24 hours after I've left the theater. If being angry at movies or any other form of media takes up a non-trivial portion of your free time, you should either take a good long look at why the rest of your life is so much less interesting than bad movies, or find a way to get paid for being angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

i hate new movies, because most of them are unimaginative and lazy top to bottom while costing like 1000X more than they used to. Everyone now looks far too young to be playing the roles they are playing. R movies are usually weaker than old pg or pg-13 movies.

if you can't find a good new movie you just aren't looking hard enough

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

another big problem is modern crumple points so lots of car disintegrate too easily.

are you suggesting piles of twisted metal and plastic are a problem?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like it'll be good or at least better than the second half of Beyond Thunderdome.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Avulsion posted:

Most movies these days are poo poo. Most movies made back in the good old days were also poo poo, but you've forgotten about them because they made no impression on you and never made it to DVD. In 5/10/20 years you'll have forgotten all the bad movies you watched this year, but you'll have the good ones saved to a microchip in your teeth or something. It takes a monumental effort to make me hate a movie more 24 hours after I've left the theater. If being angry at movies or any other form of media takes up a non-trivial portion of your free time, you should either take a good long look at why the rest of your life is so much less interesting than bad movies, or find a way to get paid for being angry.

hah I got one of those tism time freeze things going on, i own pretty much every, arnie film, chuck, norris film, van damme, stallone, dolph ludgren, and all the good mel gibson movies, along with any other good action movie i could find. after the 90's things changed too much lots of the general filimg techniques got worse, hiding the action either off camera or blur effects, or terrible CG, instead of practical effects. Also car chases got a whole lots worse.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

satanic splash-back posted:

are you suggesting piles of twisted metal and plastic are a problem?

no it's just less impressive when a car going 20 miles an hour become twisted steel and plastic if you look at it wrong. When an old all steel body car got completely hosed up you knew poo poo was going down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
modern action movies are just not paced very well, it has nothing to do with cgi

i mean go watch something like ronin or die hard, the pace is very different from modern action

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

TOILETLORD posted:

filimg techniques got worse, hiding the action either off camera or blur effects, or terrible CG, instead of practical effects.

Shakeycam motherfucker.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I just watched the trailer, and it looks exactly like a Mad Max movie. No more, no less.

I had the same feeling which makes me think ok it might be cool to see. They don't look like they're loving anything up but I'm also not seeing a lot of innovation or new storytelling coming out of this. I'm not exactly :rock: more like :shrug: but it doesn't look like :shrek: Just kind of the same old :madmax:

The original Mad Max was legit doo doo btw and I'm glad few people remember it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

looks fuckin awesome

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

This is looking really good.

Plus I like movies that have a limited setting or plot. A 2-hour car chase is exactly the kind of thing I'd go for.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

mr.capps posted:

modern movies are just not paced very well, it has nothing to do with cgi

That is also a big issue. give me my 90-115 minute movies back. with proper set ups for action and then a bit of a cool down afterwards.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Is Corky making an appearance in this motion picture?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ron Howard is making a Moby Dick movie too.

Don't even know what to think about that

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

A misanthrope posted:

This is looking really good.

Plus I like movies that have a limited setting or plot. A 2-hour car chase is exactly the kind of thing I'd go for.

Road Warrior was one of the most unapologetic action movies ever made. That's all this movie needs.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Saalkin posted:

Ron Howard is crazy meticulous about about historical stuff (see: Apollo 13 and Rush) so I'm sure it will be great

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crow_Rodeo posted:

Ron Howard is crazy meticulous about about historical stuff (see: Apollo 13 and Rush) so I'm sure it will be great

moby dick isn't a true story

it's going to have russell crowe as Ahab, and he's going to give a 30 minute speech, yelling the whole time, to rally the crew to fight the whale

wit
Jul 26, 2011
This trailer looks awesome and as long as nobody talks for too long in the movie I will enjoy it.

It has:
Musclemans
Dust
Maskmans
Spearmans
Chains
Vrooms and I can't tell from the trailer alone, but it looks like this "mad max" fellow has some kind of heatsink on his car, presumably to cool the cpu's mad computations.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

wit posted:

This trailer looks awesome and as long as nobody talks for too long in the movie I will enjoy it.

It has:
Musclemans
Dust
Maskmans
Spearmans
Chains
Vrooms and I can't tell from the trailer alone, but it looks like this "mad max" fellow has some kind of heatsink on his car, presumably to cool the cpu's mad computations.

that's and old school super charger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

look at that blower gently caress yeah

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
After seeing the trailer I want to see this movie, and I think I will!!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i'm watching red scorpion right now and all it is doing is making me hope we go to war with russia, so we can have more awesome movies with russians as the villains.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

<--- only mad max i recognise, mel gibson is just a regular dude under extreme circumstances

and so is his character in the movies :buddy:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

mr.capps posted:

modern action movies are just not paced very well, it has nothing to do with cgi

i mean go watch something like ronin or die hard, the pace is very different from modern action

right, the pacing is used to establish some kind of dramatic tension which is appealing to the adult mind - if the new movie is fairly represented by the trailer it's going to be an expensive version of five-year-olds smashing tonka trucks in a sandbox.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Myron Baloney posted:

right, the pacing is used to establish some kind of dramatic tension which is appealing to the adult mind - if the new movie is fairly represented by the trailer it's going to be an expensive version of five-year-olds smashing tonka trucks in a sandbox.

whatever grandpa

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Awesome Welles posted:

Lol it's almost as if Borderlands was borrowing from one other certain established franchise

You watch it ....... watch it now

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

look at that blower gently caress yeah

his (impossible?) on off valve for the blower was rad too. gotta get that mpg

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

i heard when they did this scene they just found some trucker and paid him to run over the dummy/bike and it hosed his truck up. in hd you can see that the grill is just one piece of sheet metal with bars painted on it.

edit lol the lights are painted on too

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Budget Dracula posted:

i heard when they did this scene they just found some trucker and paid him to run over the dummy/bike and it hosed his truck up. in hd you can see that the grill is just one piece of sheet metal with bars painted on it.

edit lol the lights are painted on too

lmao, trying to decide if as a trucker would I agree to run over someone's motorcycle in my truck for money.

I like the accessory belt squeal representing him really gettin down on the throttle

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Saalkin posted:

It should have Ron Howard narrating it like on Arrested Development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
old movies are dumb new movies are the best

• Locked thread