Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Not exactly, but....

quote:

MIT indefinitely removes online physics lectures and courses by Walter Lewin MIT policy on sexual harassment was found to be violated.

MIT is indefinitely removing retired physics faculty member Walter Lewin’s online lectures from MIT OpenCourseWare and online MITx courses from edX, the online learning platform co-founded by MIT, following a determination that Dr. Lewin engaged in online sexual harassment in violation of MIT policies.

MIT’s action comes in response to a complaint it received in October from a woman, who is an online MITx learner, claiming online sexual harassment by Lewin. She provided information about Lewin’s interactions with her, which began when she was a learner in one of his MITx courses, as well as information about interactions between Lewin and other women online learners.

So here's the deal. Retired 78 year old professor makes some lewd comments online to several of his female students. They complain to MIT. MIT investigates, finds him guilty and then takes down all his free classes and course materials from MIT OpenCourseware, leaving a lot of students bereft of a drat good and free introductory physics course. If the guy is guilty, fine. Punish him. But to take down all his stuff so students can't access it seems a bit extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

Not exactly, but....

So here's the deal. Retired 78 year old professor makes some lewd comments online to several of his female students. They complain to MIT. MIT investigates, finds him guilty and then takes down all his free classes and course materials from MIT OpenCourseware, leaving a lot of students bereft of a drat good and free introductory physics course. If the guy is guilty, fine. Punish him. But to take down all his stuff so students can't access it seems a bit extreme.

they're free courses. if you want to learn physics, pay it for like a decent American and not a poor retard. who cares if the old creepers poo poo got taken down, are you defending his creepy ways.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Doesn't anyone less old and retarded have videos of themselves teaching physics? They should just put those up.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
how do you ban someone from the internet? isn't it all wireless now? I can get internet on my phone its 2015 for god's sake

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Pon de Bundy posted:

they're free courses. if you want to learn physics, pay it for like a decent American and not a poor retard. who cares if the old creepers poo poo got taken down, are you defending his creepy ways.

Aaaaahhaaa that's funny!! Pretending to be a huge insufferable human being is goddamn top-tier triple-A internet comedy platinum! Please to be having all of my manbabies good goon :)

Man this forum just gets funnier by the *day* my sides! my poor sides!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So what'd he say? I bet it was a play on physics

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Well that sucks. His lectures definitely helped me get though my courses. Surely someone somewhere has them all saved.

If it wasnt for him I probably wouldnt be where I am today - 4 months from completing an engineering degree.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 10, 2014

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Pon de Bundy posted:

are you defending his creepy ways.

he most certainly is, he is a creepy creep! :ironicat:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Classic news threads are back in vogue I see

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
This sucks, he was famous on campus for his lectures (riding bikes in class, shooting guns, ect.) and getting a lot of students interested in physics. Too bad he turned out to be creepy.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Orson Scott Card was a bigot so we should probably burn all his books

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Ahundredbux posted:

Orson Scott Card was a bigot so we should probably burn all his books

:agreed:

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

actually we should burn them because they aren't good

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Valithan posted:

This sucks, he was famous on campus for his lectures (riding bikes in class, shooting guns, ect.) and getting a lot of students interested in physics. Too bad he turned out to be creepy.

It makes me curious as to what he was doing/saying to be defined as creepy. Like, is this propositioning a younger student or is this more an "elevator incident"?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I don't agree with him harassing anyone but I also don't agree with them taking his poo poo down, that's some dumb revisionist crap

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Otto von Ruthless posted:

they'd probably do wonders warming up a house

gnarlyhotep posted:

I don't agree with him harassing anyone but I also don't agree with them taking his poo poo down, that's some dumb revisionist crap

no, he'll teach the kids to molest each other, duh

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

done and done

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
really its just a pr move by a large organization distancing themselves from someone theyd rather not be associated with

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BubbleGoose posted:

Not exactly, but....

The first thing when I heard about this was download all his lectures from youtube in case those get taken down as well.

His lectures are actually pretty good so you should download them too while you can.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

really its just a pr move by a large organization distancing themselves from someone theyd rather not be associated with
its a weird move of an educational organization to remove valid educational material tho

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah just like every book and TV show made by creepy persons has been removed from sale/broadcast.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
all anime would disappear forever

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

blowfish posted:

Yeah just like every book and TV show made by creepy persons has been removed from sale/broadcast.

yes, of course this need to happen every single time or else it means...?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Dude;s just trying to get some play. Bitches man.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

its a weird move of an educational organization to remove valid educational material tho

pretty sure someone went into full damage control mode when hearing the phrase :siren:sexual assault:siren: and wanted to avoid a media shitstorm

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
wasn't like plato a pedo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

yes, of course this need to happen every single time or else it means...?

why do you support the lionisation of dirty old men, nonces, tories, and literally hitler?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Maldoror posted:

wasn't like plato a pedo

because :greece:

ban ancient greek philosophers texts

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
im sure his physics were full of fiddlins

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

blowfish posted:

pretty sure someone went into full damage control mode when hearing the phrase :siren:sexual assault:siren: and wanted to avoid a media shitstorm

How in the hell do you assault someone online, though?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

BubbleGoose posted:

cyberassault

(actually sounds pretty cool, like a William Gibson novel or something)

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

welcome to the new normal

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

BubbleGoose posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Assault Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

It is not enough to fire him and denounce him... no we must erase every last bit of evidence of his very existence, to purge ourselves of the taint he's left.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

heh

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
hes old and wants to gently caress whats the problem??

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pon de Bundy posted:

the cool thing is if you cant go to MIT there are better free lectures on youtube for every course than you will ever get at your lovely state school

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

le win~

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
well yeah, Mein Kampf is still out there, and yeah Hitler committed genocide, but he didn't do it ONLINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
this is what happens when more women get interested in science, called it. bring back the 95% male student population like how it used to be in my day :corsair:

• Locked thread