Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

It always annoys me when people vote first make cases later; like right after minutes/seconds after. It's not much of a tell to me, when it's immediate, but it always gets on my nerves. They were clearly thinking of it when it's posted literally right after, so why not just start with the reasoning first. It's more of when the reasoning comes well after, when people push them on it, that I'd consider it telling.

I am waiting to see how Exact responded to weigh in on Bowmore's vote.

Him saying your response stinks is a soft accusation in of itself too. His "weak" response reads like a joke response to a a joke vote.
I really think you're blowing things out of proportion. Purposely so. ##vote Puntification

Aside: I got to the end of it, yeah it's okay I suppose. 6/10.

I don't much like this post though. It's a bad case and, aside from this actual vote, everything amoeba posted has been passive and unopinionated. Consider yourself on ~the list~ amoeba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EXAKT Science posted:

bowmore is pushing me pretty aggressively for an obvious d1 joke. His argument consists solely of "it's awkward." Feels scummy to me.
I'm not actually pushing you at all, I just have a vote on you

you feeling the pressure or something?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EXAKT Science posted:

It's still early day 1. I wanted to try to use my vote to put some pressure on Allen and see how he reacted. I thought that the posts he was making were a bit out of character, but going back and reading his other games, I guess they aren't really. But I should only be using my vote this early on d1 to vote for the person I think is ~most scummy~, so ##vote bowmore
flipping back on your old vote after a few people voted you is pretty scummy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EXAKT Science posted:

My bowmore vote was partially a flippant response to f_v
keep it up dude you are making so much sense right now

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quandary posted:

I don't much like this post though. It's a bad case and, aside from this actual vote, everything amoeba posted has been passive and unopinionated. Consider yourself on ~the list~ amoeba
yeah he feels like the guy in the middle asking everyone the questions while they fight around him

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I feel like there's a stronger case to be made on Pmush than bowmore at this point so I'm gonna get with the case-biz, check it out:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Post more, you boobers.
Pinterest criticised this earlier and I agree, calling for more content appears agreeable but without contributing yourself it kinda seems kinda insincere and an easy way of seeming like you care without doing anything or exposing yourself to any scrutiny.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Allen Wren's recent posts bug me because while admitting there's not much content in D1 is one thing, trying to actively defend the lack of content, and dissuade people from trying to get some, is another entirely. Kinda seeing the EXAKT awkwardness, but I've mislynched EXAKT a couple times, IIRC, so I'm not sure.

Still, I've got a gutread on somebody, and that's enough for me on D1.

##vote Allen Wren
This rankles me as well because pmush's apparent scum calls, Wren and Exalt are based on things that I don't think are actually scummy, wrongness and awkwardness. I've mentioned both things already but I want to add that amoeba is correct to criticise pmush for overstating their case here, which makes me feel pmush's position her is a bit cynical and not entirely on the level.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, something that people don't seem to realize is that each day's content builds on the next. If you have no content on D1, then D2 is basically in the same position as D1 was, with the added penalty of being down more town. Even in a role madness game, just picking our butts waiting for someone to cop claim and break the game open is incredibly stupid.
This is a true and good opinion, I agree completely, but it's strategy chat and scum love talking about mafia rather than playing mafia because it allows them to be genuine, court agreement and look active and engaged without actually being useful in regards to the aim of finding scum.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Exakt, why are you bouncing around so much? First you agreed with me, then changed your reason, then changed your vote when the pressure didn't let up.
Here she shifts focus from Wren to pressure Exakt after he picks up some heat and is flailing a bit, it smacks of grasping at low-hanging fruit.

So I'm of the opinion that Pmush is saying a lot of stuff for the sake of appearance, going for easy targets, for bad reasons and in a way that borders on an outright misrepresentation of their actual positions. ##vote poison mushroom

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My favorite mafia thing is when people do comprehensive post breakdowns on D1 when they're completely superfluous to get a point across given the minimal amount of content so far (see Puntifications post above).

That said, it's an ok case and I kinda agree with it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
##vote bowmore

his recent posts

its the whole "hey i know what you are doing here" thing, but fake

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

##vote bowmore

his recent posts

don't even know what this means

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Here I am I am reading the game!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
First thing I notice is,

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This makes no sense, and combined with your post where you voted for him but posted about something else entirely, I think it's scummy.

You're voting him because you think "something is up". What does that mean? How does that make him the most likely scum player right now?

##vote exact
This vote gives me ~vibes~

EXAKT's engagement with the game is a stark contrast to the last game I played with him (where he was scum and posting nonsense!) I don't think EXAKT is scum.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

bowmore posted:

There is something about bowmore's posting I don't like either.

I have noticed he is posting posting and with more content than usual, but his tone is like-- really accusatory?

It's like sharp and scummy--I know I am not explaining well here-- but it doesn't feel natural.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

mr.capps posted:

##vote bowmore

his recent posts

Yes.

e.g.,

bowmore posted:

bowmore posted:

look at this awkward post
I also didn't like this post in context. EXAKT's comment wasn't bad.

##vote bowmore

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

EXAKT Science (4): bowmore, HiipFire, Pinterest Mom, fiery_valkyrie
bowmore (4): Sandwolf, Puntification, EXAKT Science, Puntification, mr.capps, yuming
Allen Wren (1): Poison Mushroom, EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science
Poison Mushroom (1): Puntification
Puntification (1): Amoeba102

Not Voting (4): Allen Wren, Dr. Hurt, Epsilon Plus, Quandary

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is December 15th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 22 hours.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blargh, back from Survivor. That game eats up so much mental bandwidth, it's crazy.

Okay, so my point is that from my perspective, there's nothing useful going on on day one and I prefer to just shitpost a bit. In fact, when people start applying logic to poo poo people say in day one, I pull a long face and sigh. My jokephase lasts approximately until day five or so.

I don't think people are wrong for trying to get a head start on winning the game, but other than people's reactions, which is a meta you learn through hard, repetitious labor and endless mistakes, there's nothing to go on. No actual game mechanic has engaged to provide information about who is who. So I got nothin'. You guys may have somethin', but I won't have anything for a while yet.

So, yeah, I'm "bad at mafia" in addition to being bad at mafia, but I do two things. I shitpost and I fail to notice detaisl.

(joke)

EXAKT Science posted:

I did? I don't want to kill Allen for being wrong, but I have yet to see his scum game, and want to apply some pressure to him to see what he says. My gut says something is up, but I could also be wrong.

Everyone has yet to see my scum game. I have never been scum. I am still not scum. I'm just waiting for people to start voting me because "HE HAS TO BE SCUM EVENTUALLY."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess everyone thinks Exakt is town and I'm a big bully or something

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yuming posted:

There is something about bowmore's posting I don't like either.

I have noticed he is posting posting and with more content than usual, but his tone is like-- really accusatory?

It's like sharp and scummy--I know I am not explaining well here-- but it doesn't feel natural.
you are misinterpreting my tone, I thought exakt was being awkward and he still is so I'm telling everyone about it

I'm starting to change my mind on whether he is scum or not but I'd need to see him post more, he seems to have gone into his shell a bit

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Most likely to be scum at the moment: Puntification, Exakt, any two lurkers

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

yuming posted:

First thing I notice is,

This vote gives me ~vibes~

EXAKT's engagement with the game is a stark contrast to the last game I played with him (where he was scum and posting nonsense!) I don't think EXAKT is scum.

Stepping in to note that I was the mod for said last game and EXAKT had a semi-serious PR that kept what he could post clamped down pretty tight. EXAKT may or may not be scum, but don't base it off of this information.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Epsilon Plus posted:

Stepping in to note that I was the mod for said last game and EXAKT had a semi-serious PR that kept what he could post clamped down pretty tight. EXAKT may or may not be scum, but don't base it off of this information.
I totally forgot you were in this game, EP. Who do you think might be scum?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Yeah, I'm recovering from a hell of an illness. Also I hate D1.

A lot of these people are new to me. HiipFire looks bad with his whole "I don't have my role PM yet! Look at me post!" thing. bowmore looks bad and is getting really defensive for D1 but also has four votes on him? Pinterest Mom and I think just have differing personalities.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How am I defensive?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore, less than two minutes after someone called him defensive posted:

How am I defensive?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Epsilon Plus posted:

I think yuming's referring to the nonsense I was posting after I broke my PR and tried that crazy gambit, not while I was still under the PR.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure that makes me defensive :shrug:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Well, just on this page:

bowmore posted:

You're painting the image that everyone is ganging up on you, which is pretty incorrect.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also pmush you brought a hearty chuckle into my lovely night so thanks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

Also pmush you brought a hearty chuckle into my lovely night so thanks
:j::hf::smith:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

My jokephase lasts approximately until day five or so.

Like game day 5 or real life day 5, because that's some serious pre-justification for not playing seriously.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Puntification posted:

This rankles me as well because pmush's apparent scum calls, Wren and Exalt are based on things that I don't think are actually scummy, wrongness and awkwardness.

I don't have much of a problem with the rest of your post but this sentence really stuck out to me. Just because his scum calls are based on things you don't think are scummy, it doesn't mean someone else won't think they're scummy. People can be wrong about what is scummy or not. It detracts from your argument in my eyes because it feels like once again you're trying to overstate something. You even say being wrong isn't scummy, but pmush being wrong rankles you and you use that to add to your case?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

Yeah, I'm recovering from a hell of an illness. Also I hate D1.

A lot of these people are new to me. [...] Pinterest Mom and I think just have differing personalities.
idk what this means. are you laying down a marker saying you think i'm scummy or not?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah actually i'm gonna ##vote epsilon

that post i quoted is just someone giving very forced insincere reads on players. the hiip role pm thing, which is a non-issue, the bowmore thing which is legitimate and probably a real read, and the ~pm and i just have different personalities~ thing which just looks to me like a reach to grab for an opinion to give on a third player.

[if you put a gun to my head, i'd say bowmore might be epsilon's scumbuddy (list two town and a scum, and the argument on your scumbuddy will ofc be better because you notice what they're doing wrong), but that's getting ahead of things~]

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Blargh, back from Survivor. That game eats up so much mental bandwidth, it's crazy.

Okay, so my point is that from my perspective, there's nothing useful going on on day one and I prefer to just shitpost a bit. In fact, when people start applying logic to poo poo people say in day one, I pull a long face and sigh. My jokephase lasts approximately until day five or so.

I don't think people are wrong for trying to get a head start on winning the game, but other than people's reactions, which is a meta you learn through hard, repetitious labor and endless mistakes, there's nothing to go on. No actual game mechanic has engaged to provide information about who is who. So I got nothin'. You guys may have somethin', but I won't have anything for a while yet.

So, yeah, I'm "bad at mafia" in addition to being bad at mafia, but I do two things. I shitpost and I fail to notice detaisl.

(joke)

Everyone has yet to see my scum game. I have never been scum. I am still not scum. I'm just waiting for people to start voting me because "HE HAS TO BE SCUM EVENTUALLY."

Man this is a lot of words complaining about having to do anything. I really don't like this, it strikes me as pre-emptively setting up a defense for lovely posting

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I really like bowmore for scum, he's being weirdly porcupine-y.

I also don't like EXAXT,

EXAKT Science posted:

It's still early day 1. I wanted to try to use my vote to put some pressure on Allen and see how he reacted. I thought that the posts he was making were a bit out of character, but going back and reading his other games, I guess they aren't really. But I should only be using my vote this early on d1 to vote for the person I think is ~most scummy~, so ##vote bowmore

This vote is what irks me the most, he seems to be desperate to aim the major suspicion away from him, and bowmore seems a decent target, since I and Punt had already placed some suspicion.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm kinda feeling Exaxt/bowmore for scumteam, when bowmore is in a scumteam he almost always busses hard, and look at these posts:

bowmore posted:

Most likely to be scum at the moment: Puntification, Exakt, any two lurkers

bowmore posted:

In conjunction with this post:

EXAKT Science posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

scummy use of tildes imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

scummy use of tildes imo
Can you elaborate on this?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can you elaborate on this?