Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

on the other hand theres lots of misogynists ad racists in gbs lately so maybe discussing news with them aint the best ida

don't worry thats what your mod squad is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
news flash! this just in: mods suck

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
lol :D

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
such modde

good posting

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
*opens star trek figurine*

mods: noooooo

:owned:

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Call it gently caress you and suck my cock you motherfucking shitstain cunthole

or current events, whatever, i think my title is better though.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

RideTheSpiral posted:

*opens star trek figurine*

mods: noooooo

:owned:

what does this even mean?

mods don't like star trek figurines?

I'm baffled

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*opens up figurine package

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

drilldo squirt posted:

GBS likes to hate things I've noticed.

Has anyone told you that you have the best sig.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Captain Candiru posted:

Has anyone told you that you have the best sig.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gnarlyhotep posted:

what does this even mean?

mods don't like star trek figurines?

I'm baffled

that was my best ever burn

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

RideTheSpiral posted:

that was my best ever burn

if you say so

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't understand why people don't just not read the thread then it's not like someone has a gun to your head making you read every thread

I don't like when people just post a news story with no commentary like it's an RSS feed but honestly I like having news threads in GBS and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that I don't understand why we have to separate GBS up because some people get butthurt that 'news' qualifies as 'general bullshit.'

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

i don't understand why people don't just not read the thread then it's not like someone has a gun to your head making you read every thread

I don't like when people just post a news story with no commentary like it's an RSS feed but honestly I like having news threads in GBS and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that I don't understand why we have to separate GBS up because some people get butthurt that 'news' qualifies as 'general bullshit.'

because its boring and no one gives a poo poo about your opinions hth

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think GBS is about just loving around now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

because its boring and no one gives a poo poo about your opinions hth

yeah; so why do you read it is the point fucklord

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
The news threads are the only thing I miss from old gibbis. There were always goons who lived nearby or could link interesting poo poo or take inappropriate selfies in front of disaster victims. Good times, man.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

yeah; so why do you read it is the point fucklord

its better if it doesnt exist at all becuase i might accidentally read one of your opinions

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

one GBS would be for the "serious" newsposters to post their news and for the "serious" responses to them

not sure what you mean about "If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that", because there's not

the idea to separate GBS into basically old and new is a good one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

one GBS would be for the "serious" newsposters to post their news and for the "serious" responses to them

not sure what you mean about "If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that", because there's not

What is FYAD then? I don't really go in there.

I'm not opposed to the idea necessarily but it's not like GBS moves so fast or there's so much noise that it is something that really matters.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Nah man there are no good news today just drone attacks and lost cats keep that downer crap away from gbs imo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I'm contemplating opening a forum called something like Current Events that is a cross between old style GBS and D&D lite. Right now news events don't have much place in GBS, and take too much effort to be argued about in D&D.
its like watching a version of titanic where the captain isnt gonna be beaten so easily and turns the ship around to defeat the iceberg once and for all

i bought an account because the central forum obviously had funnier people making funnier stuff in a better variety of threads than in other internet forums
content has been so sorted and separated away from gbs at this point that if someone who didnt already have an account and familiarity with subforum userbases and rules and histories i would need 3 minutes of examining and explaining subforums to explain to them why someone would pay money to post here before even looking inside a thread

on the plus side separating all threads with content from gbs is both annoying as poo poo when your thread in gbs gets moved somewhere else and manages to leave gbs an empty soulless shell or what you might consider an active gas chamber 2.0 so its like a reverse gas-chamber challenge where you dont have to risk your account

what are good threads
how can you make good threads welcome in gbs

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

What is FYAD then? I don't really go in there.

I'm not opposed to the idea necessarily but it's not like GBS moves so fast or there's so much noise that it is something that really matters.

I never mentioned FYAD bro

talking about GBS

read what I wrote

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

content has been so sorted and separated away from gbs at this point that if someone who didnt already have an account and familiarity with subforum userbases and rules and histories i would need 3 minutes of examining and explaining subforums to explain to them why someone would pay money to post here before even looking inside a thread

on the plus side separating all threads with content from gbs is both annoying as poo poo when your thread in gbs gets moved somewhere else and manages to leave gbs an empty soulless shell or what you might consider an active gas chamber 2.0 so its like a reverse gas-chamber challenge where you dont have to risk your account

yeah I kind of agree. there's just no great reason other than some people hate news in GBS to separate things out and all it will do is make the regular posters more divided into various subforums for a gain that isn't really apparent to me

gnarlyhotep posted:

I never mentioned FYAD bro

talking about GBS

read what I wrote

I said 'there's already a subforum for just jokes and stupid poo poo' and you said there isn't and I asked 'well what's FYAD then'

I wasn't talking about a literal GBS 2 I was saying if you are going to cut out all semi-serious content and whatever from GBS then what differentiates it from FYAD other than not having a pink background and poo poo?

quote:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 11, 2014

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

look at this guy who thinks it's easy to weed out the good from the bad

yeah man, brb I'm in my future star trek replicator where it's all easy

it's real easy imo just strike hard and mercilessly when political arguments start bc they're always dumb and excruciating to read and reveal the severe mental illness of goons

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fanged wang posted:

it's real easy imo just strike hard and mercilessly when political arguments start bc they're always dumb and excruciating to read and reveal the severe mental illness of goons

idk just don't read it then. I think there is humor to be found in the extreme political positions people will take. if you don't like political discussion don't click on 'Communism and GBS' it's pretty easy to avoid if you really don't want to see it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, after jerking off to that picture i can safely say, if people are hating news threads, they are probably doing it ironically rather than legit sharing their thoughts on the news themselves as a desperate attempt at comedy.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
dont give goons a goddamn above ground pool filled with poo poo to play in dont bring back lf dont segregate gbs these are bad thoughts imo

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gnarlyhotep posted:

The bosses should make sure current GBS stays GBS and news paper GBS gets sent down the forums list elsewhere.

I can't help but think the "flagship" or whatever forum (by virtue of being at the top of the list) being just a collection of the kinds of articles and threads full of uninformed asses talking about the articles that you see a million other places on the internet impress nobody.

At least a brand new person looking at current GBS would see a bunch of assholes just casually dicking around and at least trying to make what could be called jokes and fun. Yes most of it sucks, but I think the suck might encourage new people that think they're funny to try to ride a turd to the top of the bowl.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not trying to be a dick btw I just really don't know what FYAD is if not a place to poo poo post jokes and memes.

Rando posted:

I can't help but think the "flagship" or whatever forum (by virtue of being at the top of the list) being just a collection of the kinds of articles and threads full of uninformed asses talking about the articles that you see a million other places on the internet impress nobody.

see this argument would make sense if news and current events threads were drowning out everything else to the exclusion of funny joke threads but that's just not the case.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

idk just don't read it then. I think there is humor to be found in the extreme political positions people will take. if you don't like political discussion don't click on 'Communism and GBS' it's pretty easy to avoid if you really don't want to see it.

yeah cool good keep it in gbs where people can make fun of you and a poisonous circlejerk won't form leading to secret service visits and worse

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

The bosses should make sure current GBS stays GBS and news paper GBS gets sent down the forums list elsewhere.

At least a brand new person looking at current GBS would see a bunch of assholes just casually dicking around and at least trying to make what could be called jokes and fun. Yes most of it sucks, but I think the suck might encourage new people that think they're funny to try to ride a turd to the top of the bowl.

once again, Rando gets it

keep GBS GBS

but make a new forum (or subforum I really don't care) for all the "gotta have my newsfeed" guys

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

I prefer laughing and joking together

4lyfe

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so would I be allowed to post a news article under the 'keep GBS GBS but with a new subforum' scheme or would it get moved to the new subforum every time?

I just don't see the point of fracturing the amount of people that post in GBS into two, considering that there's really not that many regular posters at all. Again it makes sense if news and current events threads are totally dominating GBS but as it stands there's like 3-4 of those threads (maybe) on the first page and everything else is just jokey whatever stuff.

Like can people really not handle just not clicking on the obvious news threads and not reading the entirety of it if they hate reading it so much?

It's not a big deal to me either way but I'm just curious to know the logic behind it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 11, 2014

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i dont understand why we cant have news in reg gbs except that when people are clearly just trying to pick a fight about social issues because their lives are worthless and have no intention of even attempting to have a good time with posting friends you uh be rid of them

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
there are clearly good and not terrible current event threads in gbs right now for the sake of christ

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

gbs is kicking back and chillaxing w/ ur buds

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
takin it real fuckin easy!!!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think threads about news items that provide an opportunity for posters to make fun of some idiot who ruined his life or covers some ate-up event that's easy to mock should be encouraged. That kind of thread would be about "news" but not for posters that really feel like doing ill-informed amateur analysis of the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
people think there isnt still a gbsrss going on just because now the ops dont have content

• Locked thread