Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Lowtax posted:

I'm contemplating opening a forum called something like Current Events that is a cross between old style GBS and D&D lite. Right now news events don't have much place in GBS, and take too much effort to be argued about in D&D.

This is a really good idea imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Lowtax posted:

I'm contemplating opening a forum called something like Current Events that is a cross between old style GBS and D&D lite. Right now news events don't have much place in GBS, and take too much effort to be argued about in D&D.

I hope this happens. I miss rss GBS sometimes.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

well if you close down the front page discussion sub-section and merge it with GBS I could get behind that.
I like this. It'd be awesome to mix that back into GBS, I know if i saw a thread about an article with a bunch of replies i'd be more motivated to read it.

Not too crazy about the separate Current Events forum, think this would rob a lot of (needed) content from GBS. Perhaps a thread tag for GBSRSS threads indicating it's a no threadshit zone?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well, after jerking off to that picture i can safely say, if people are hating news threads, they are probably doing it ironically rather than legit sharing their thoughts on the news themselves as a desperate attempt at comedy.

That makes sense because this thread is already filled with desperate attempts at comedy.

Rando posted:

The bosses should make sure current GBS stays GBS and news paper GBS gets sent down the forums list elsewhere.

I can't help but think the "flagship" or whatever forum (by virtue of being at the top of the list) being just a collection of the kinds of articles and threads full of uninformed asses talking about the articles that you see a million other places on the internet impress nobody.

At least a brand new person looking at current GBS would see a bunch of assholes just casually dicking around and at least trying to make what could be called jokes and fun. Yes most of it sucks, but I think the suck might encourage new people that think they're funny to try to ride a turd to the top of the bowl.

While you make some good points i really don't understand how the "flagship" forum is better off as 100% white noise ironic shitposts rather than having some news thrown in there as well. Like, no one is casually coming into GBS, reading it, and thinking to themselves "wow these guys are really funny". If anything having some news articles in there would be a lot more appealing to new users/ lurkers and allow them to comment on something they're roughly familiar with rather than trying to defend onions or posting in whatever the gently caress this thread is

I really like GBS right now but some news threads get shot down for no reason other than "RSS", I'd rather hear the thoughts of GBS posters rather than the crazies that post in D&D or would post in a "Current Events" forum.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

so would I be allowed to post a news article under the 'keep GBS GBS but with a new subforum' scheme or would it get moved to the new subforum every time?

I just don't see the point of fracturing the amount of people that post in GBS into two, considering that there's really not that many regular posters at all. Again it makes sense if news and current events threads are totally dominating GBS but as it stands there's like 3-4 of those threads (maybe) on the first page and everything else is just jokey whatever stuff.

Like can people really not handle just not clicking on the obvious news threads and not reading the entirety of it if they hate reading it so much?

It's not a big deal to me either way but I'm just curious to know the logic behind it.

dude there are a ton of regular GBS posters, some of them are even good

there's also a silent majority who desperately want a totalitarian mod to punish the unholy masses with righteous fire

I say give those poor folks what they want and make them a new forum for their self-flagellation so we can get on with acting like a bunch of retarded clowns (which is good and fun)

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Degenerate Star posted:

The news threads are the only thing I miss from old gibbis. There were always goons who lived nearby or could link interesting poo poo or take inappropriate selfies in front of disaster victims. Good times, man.

Yeah, this. When the funny was bled dry from GBS 1.0, a good news thread was the ONLY reason to read it from like 2010 to 2014.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i think its a hard one. nobody wants to read news threads that are boring. but there are ones that are exceptional, and occasionally ones that are funny. what im saying is im glad i dont have to deal with it :shrug:

a news subforum might be a good idea but its a matter of traffic. like, im never going to go in there

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

i hope this brings back the old gbs crowd for other forums to quotemine

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like GBS news threads cause it's kind of like D&D except everyone's terrible opinion is condensed into 1 or 2 lines instead of 5 pages.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
name the new forum Serious Bullshit

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ekster posted:

I like GBS news threads cause it's kind of like D&D except everyone's terrible opinion is condensed into 1 or 2 lines instead of 5 pages.

Maybe a cool YOSPOS programmer can take a break from posting cat pictures to write a script that simply copies 2 random sentences from a D&D thread and posts them to this new news forum, effectively condensing them down for greater enjoyment?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Smeego posted:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

a bone to pick posted:

well if you close down the front page discussion sub-section and merge it with GBS I could get behind that.

This is actually a really good idea. As a journalist and newsie I love reading breaking articles but last time we let it get out of control in GBS to the point where it was completely flooded with stupid bullshit topics. A separate forum that merged frontpage discussion with news.

I agree with 'tax that D&D is too heavy for basic news discussion and GBS is too lighthearted for news.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i liked the boston marathon thread for what it provided, as well as perimeter lobsters and other dumb jokes that you won't see on the msnbc or foxnews comment threads

i need these jokes to lighten the pain

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Make me a mod of that forum, Richard, and I will work very hard to keep it informative and fun.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

As someone who is contemplating leaving his current Internet forums home, due to the overwhelming presence of self-righteous faggotry that comes out in every seriouspost about news, I side with those who seek to keep current GBS as a place for dicking-off and fun.

I've spent almost a decade on my old forums, and I just can't handle those people anymore. I go online to smile.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

As someone who is contemplating leaving his current Internet forums home, due to the overwhelming presence of self-righteous faggotry that comes out in every seriouspost about news, I side with those who seek to keep current GBS as a place for dicking-off and fun.

I've spent almost a decade on my old forums, and I just can't handle those people anymore. I go online to smile.

I can't believe you are contemplating leaving your current forum, friend. They must have you at your wits' end, for you to consider leaving the website where people talk about news and go to another website to talk about news.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I agree with a separate forum for RSS GBS, I haven't been literary shaking in a while now and I can't even.

It should be called Specific Bullshit.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

I agree with a separate forum for RSS GBS, I haven't been literary shaking in a while now and I can't even.

It should be called Specific Bullshit.

Specific Rim

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I will moderate the forum, essentially for free, Richard. All I ask is the power to brutally punish Spanish Manlove if he ever posts there.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i think dividing gbs in two is a bad idea and i like the laidback tomfoolery of current gbs news threads

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Call it Your Opinions Matter.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
News threads make tedious people who need you to put footnotes on your jokes so that they can discern whether or not you're a war criminal feel like they should have a voice and that is Bad.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
idk it seems like those people are gonna hunt for war criminals and rape enablists and racist dogwhistlers regardless of context

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
open the second forum but revert the ruleset of this one to 2.1 :devil:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Smeego posted:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe it's just time to make two separate websites? One for serious posting and one for funny posting?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Maybe it's just time to make two separate websites? One for serious posting and one for funny posting?

a large percentage of posting in the funny forum on sa is about how unintentionally funny and pathetic the seriousposters are., so that doesn't work

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao who joins SA for the seriousposters

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
dear OP most of the news articles are actually two or three DAYS behind google news feed. Rarely someone will make a topic of something breaking on twitter which becomes a good thread. But most of the "news thread news therad" is so old its embrassing

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Neurosis posted:

a large percentage of posting in the funny forum on sa is about how unintentionally funny and pathetic the seriousposters are., so that doesn't work

I'm going to get some venture funding for an app to disrupt the seriousposting/funnyguy internet forum marketplace.

*begins drawing a shitpost algorithm on the dorm window*

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

SurfinArbiter posted:

call it DBS

debating bullshit

smalls fires often erupt into a giant flames.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

gnarlyhotep posted:

There's also a silent majority who desperately want a totalitarian mod to punish the unholy masses with righteous fire.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

fanged wang posted:

idk it seems like those people are gonna hunt for war criminals and rape enablists and racist dogwhistlers regardless of context

I genuinely believe that news threads empower those people to post more, because the existence of the threads give the impression that this would be an appropriate place to hold court; once they have an established presence and can set the tone somewhat, a lot of people who would otherwise be cool turn into handwringy fuckers, others leave, fun becomes verboten. As it is now they're still creeping around, trying to tell posters what kind of "ist" they are, but they're generally ignored or shushed.

It's sort of like allowing Muslims to build minarets. You see, it's... wait, where are you going?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Why do people hate Taylor Swift?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I genuinely believe that TAYLOR SWIFT empowers those people to post more, because the existence of TAYLOR SWIFT gives the impression that this would be an appropriate place to hold court; once they have an established presence and can set the tone somewhat, a lot of people who would otherwise be cool turn into BAD BOYFRIENDS others flee, fun becomes verboten. As it is now TAYLOR SWIFT IS still creeping around, trying to tell posters what kind of BAD BOYFRIENDS they are, but TAYLOR SWIFT IS generally ignored or shushed.

It's sort of like allowing TAYLOR SWIFT to build minarets. You see, it's... wait, where are you going?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

She's white and succesful?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'd like to kiss Taylor Swift on the mouth, and I'm sick of Lowtax stopping me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'd like to kiss Taylor Swift on the mouth, and I'm sick of Lowtax stopping me.

you should go for it. you should... just totally go for it... man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

lol i didn't know who you were much before but from what i've seen of your posting you sound like a real tool ijs

e: oh I'm sorry I confused you with Fanged_Wang but you still sound like a tool

• Locked thread