Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

drilldo squirt posted:

GBS likes to hate things I've noticed.

I don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

It is common knowledge that running down the things other people like feels good.

I prefer laughing and joking together

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

Absolutely: you gang up on some hapless gently caress and laugh and joke together.

don't make me strangle you Rando

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

You could say I'm a acolyte of the Rickles school.

I'm down with that

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The 5th Foid posted:

It's because the mods are incompetent

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Squish posted:

New GBS is just low-effort nonsense now.

:qq:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

drilldo squirt posted:

You and me both, friend.

:D

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

fanged wang posted:

there are two kinds of current events there are the current events that are interesting and fun to talk about and the current events that inspire tedious goony circlejerking

maybe uh just gas the news threads when they turn into tedious circlejerks and don't gas the ones that are good imo

there is no reason to open up a new subforum specifically for boring people to snipe angrily at each other about rape and gun control and stuff

look at this guy who thinks it's easy to weed out the good from the bad

yeah man, brb I'm in my future star trek replicator where it's all easy

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

on the other hand theres lots of misogynists ad racists in gbs lately so maybe discussing news with them aint the best ida

don't worry thats what your mod squad is for

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
lol :D

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

RideTheSpiral posted:

*opens star trek figurine*

mods: noooooo

:owned:

what does this even mean?

mods don't like star trek figurines?

I'm baffled

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

RideTheSpiral posted:

that was my best ever burn

if you say so

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

I don't like when people just post a news story with no commentary like it's an RSS feed but honestly I like having news threads in GBS and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that I don't understand why we have to separate GBS up because some people get butthurt that 'news' qualifies as 'general bullshit.'

one GBS would be for the "serious" newsposters to post their news and for the "serious" responses to them

not sure what you mean about "If you want only jokes and poo poo there's a subforum for that", because there's not

the idea to separate GBS into basically old and new is a good one

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

What is FYAD then? I don't really go in there.

I'm not opposed to the idea necessarily but it's not like GBS moves so fast or there's so much noise that it is something that really matters.

I never mentioned FYAD bro

talking about GBS

read what I wrote

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

The bosses should make sure current GBS stays GBS and news paper GBS gets sent down the forums list elsewhere.

I can't help but think the "flagship" or whatever forum (by virtue of being at the top of the list) being just a collection of the kinds of articles and threads full of uninformed asses talking about the articles that you see a million other places on the internet impress nobody.

At least a brand new person looking at current GBS would see a bunch of assholes just casually dicking around and at least trying to make what could be called jokes and fun. Yes most of it sucks, but I think the suck might encourage new people that think they're funny to try to ride a turd to the top of the bowl.

once again, Rando gets it

keep GBS GBS

but make a new forum (or subforum I really don't care) for all the "gotta have my newsfeed" guys

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Moridin920 posted:

so would I be allowed to post a news article under the 'keep GBS GBS but with a new subforum' scheme or would it get moved to the new subforum every time?

I just don't see the point of fracturing the amount of people that post in GBS into two, considering that there's really not that many regular posters at all. Again it makes sense if news and current events threads are totally dominating GBS but as it stands there's like 3-4 of those threads (maybe) on the first page and everything else is just jokey whatever stuff.

Like can people really not handle just not clicking on the obvious news threads and not reading the entirety of it if they hate reading it so much?

It's not a big deal to me either way but I'm just curious to know the logic behind it.

dude there are a ton of regular GBS posters, some of them are even good

there's also a silent majority who desperately want a totalitarian mod to punish the unholy masses with righteous fire

I say give those poor folks what they want and make them a new forum for their self-flagellation so we can get on with acting like a bunch of retarded clowns (which is good and fun)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Smeego posted:

name the new forum Serious Bullshit

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

opus111 posted:

Fyad is where people make jokes and if they're not funny you'll get hounded out.
GBS is where people makes jokes and if they're not funny you get a weak burn and it's forgotten about. The only way to be hounded out off a is to become a GBS mod and wait a few weeks.

I've made it almost a month, you people are going to have step up the game here

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
drat

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rando posted:

Sorry I snapped. It's not like me.

it's ok, we're pretty laid back here in the Gibbs

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

a bone to pick posted:

its less about the news and more about the opinions of GBS posters, like yeah I could read the news all day but that's loving boring and its filled with the media equivalent to youtube comments, I actually like to hear GBS opinions because they're pretty varied and entertaining. Also news would break on these forums literally minutes after it happens and like someone else posted there would be a goon in the area giving better insight.

All of you giving reasons like "it's too GBS 1.0" or "it's too serious" or "I don't want to hear other opinions" are fuckin retarded hitler. Like are you forced at gunpoint to read every GBS news thread and shitpost in it?

all the more reason to give you guys your own space where it can be heavily moderated and we can stay here and be retarded Hitlers

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ArbitraryC posted:

Interesting news threads like the one about ferg get gassed and mods frequently swoop in to issue "no more posting about this topic" ultimatums for topics that spark discussions or arguments. Modern gbs is totally heavily moderated its just against a different group of people than 1.0 was.

the reason I gassed that thread (and Franco was in agreement with this) was because the event had already ended and the thread was devolving into a bunch of slapfighting and "edgy" racism

in any case, with the creation of this new GBS you will be able to do exactly what you want in there and none of us will bother you because (I imagine this will be a rule) shitposting won't be allowed

so turn that frown upside down sugar cake!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Livers posted:

Exactly. I can't tell the difference between BYOB,FYAD and this poo poo anymore.

go do some posting in each one and report back

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Wamdoodle posted:

I knew there was a reason you're a mod gnarly :)

the real reason is dark and sinister

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
how did you find this out

somebody's going to pay

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Wamdoodle posted:

Wait, why aren't you a mod then or is it that you only took facials and didn't become a full bottom?

something like that, but it's a complicated hierarchy

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I just want a place for all the serious careposters to live in peace so we can all be happy

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I wouldn't wish that on anyone

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gary oldmans diary posted:

what careposters
who has asked for news threads where people who just want to post funny poo poo arent welcome
people are brainstorming a plan to cater to no one

lots of people

don't get all worked up about it, it won't affect you anyway

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ArbitraryC, last page

this is your thread ffs

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

removing things to talk about from the forum with good rules and probably still-decent users affects everyone here

well regardless of what we do someone is going to bitch about it

I'm ok with that

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

are you pretending to not understand their opinions or is this real life

unless I'm completely misreading the OP, they want old-style GBS news threads without having them be poo poo up by people like me

a separate forum would accomplish that, have stricter moderation and in effect bring back that old world GBS charm, as well as give the rest of us a place to play

I don't see how this is something to get all bent out of shape over

idk what you want from me man

also it was Lowtax's loving idea in the first place

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

well I think its a good idea and you may continue to cry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

i dont know what rules there even are left to break but have you even benched someone for 3 days yet

yeah I have

but why is the measure of a good mod how much they probate?

do you secretly want Abe to step on your balls while you badpost

• Locked thread