Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Why is there such a sue culture in the United States? I mean seriously, every single time someone has a little, insignificant and stupid thing happen to them, their friends and families encourage them to sue the person or party who caused them such "pain, suffering or distress". It is so loving stupid. There are literally people who dedicate their whole lives earning an income just by suing businesses and people. It has to be because of the lovely health system right? I mean, you have to cover your rear end to pay for an outrageous doctors bill. No. Its loving not. It might have developed because of that but sure as poo poo today that's not the reason. It's because we Americans must feel entitled. It's like we think its in our constitution and for that reason it is a basic American right to be able to pursue compensation for everything that we feel is wrong in the world.

I love it when people say "Ill sue your rear end". Pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
yeah athens was the same

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I think some people view the court system as a mini-game from Mario Party

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Curly sue

embykins
Jul 4, 2009
smells like raw sueage if you ask me

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/09/gary-fong-account-ridiculous-300000-lawsuit-threat-nelson-tang/

This poo poo makes my blood boil.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
why is no one threatening to sue sa anymore?

i fondly remember the bird photo lady.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

That is just plain bullying in my book. You are gong to ruin a man's life and the life of his family over a bunch of photos? Messed up.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

i read the whole article and was rewarded with a poon tang joke payload

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
This is a myth. Most "insignificant stupid things" are actually pretty serious, but PR departments spin it to make the claimant look crazy. (See McDonalds hot coffee incident). This gets congress crying about "tort reform" which basically means "rich corporations should be able to act with impunity"

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This is a myth. Most "insignificant stupid things" are actually pretty serious, but PR departments spin it to make the claimant look crazy. (See McDonalds hot coffee incident). This gets congress crying about "tort reform" which basically means "rich corporations should be able to act with impunity"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

Why is there such a sue culture in the United States? I mean seriously, every single time someone has a little, insignificant and stupid thing happen to them, their friends and families encourage them to sue the person or party who caused them such "pain, suffering or distress". It is so loving stupid. There are literally people who dedicate their whole lives earning an income just by suing businesses and people. It has to be because of the lovely health system right? I mean, you have to cover your rear end to pay for an outrageous doctors bill. No. Its loving not. It might have developed because of that but sure as poo poo today that's not the reason. It's because we Americans must feel entitled. It's like we think its in our constitution and for that reason it is a basic American right to be able to pursue compensation for everything that we feel is wrong in the world.

Simple, 50%+ of all law students that graduate can't find work, and a lot of them offer free legal consultation. So you just call a bunch of people to do free stuff for you to cost other people money. Seriously do other countries really have such an issue with it's fun to be a dick?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I agree with this as a general rule, but I also know that there really are people who make careers out of getting free poo poo via lawsuit and raising hell anywhere possible. I know this because I'm related to one bat-poo poo insane woman who did this poo poo and she attempted to make me party to it multiple times. She may still do it if she's not dead or institutionalized.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I have never seen it but there is a really good documentary about this. I think you can find it in the cinema section here on the forums in a documentary thread. If I remember correctly the old lady had to sue because she could not afford the medical treatment, as the coffee really did scold her to the point of giving her serious burns.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah it stems from too many lawyers, that anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone if they have a few hundred bucks, and an entitlement mindset. Also outdated laws that are easy to exploit to get money, for instance copyright and patent laws. It makes things worse for everyone except lawyers. It makes doctors afraid to do their jobs. It makes it very hard for small businesses to operate at all because they don't have the resources of large corporations to fight frivolous lawsuits. Everyone pays more for insurance, be it car insurance or health insurance or whatever. The legal system badly needs to be reformed to make it hard to file a lawsuit unless you have a really good reason to be doing so. I'm not really sure why we don't have commitees that review pending lawsuits and just automatically throw out anything that looks frivolous. Considering most lawsuits are BS, and most people don't have the resources to fight them, this seems like the most sensible thing.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 11, 2014

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

Wizgot posted:

I have never seen it but there is a really good documentary about this. I think you can find it in the cinema section here on the forums in a documentary thread. If I remember correctly the old lady had to sue because she could not afford the medical treatment, as the coffee really did scold her to the point of giving her serious burns.

From what I remember, McDonalds kept the coffee at an above legal temperature for some business reason (maybe for free refills and stopping people drinking too fast, don't quote me on that). The pictures of the burns were nasty.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

How many people get sued in Europe? I live in Spain and have never once been threatened to be sued or have I ever known anyone who has been sued.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Yeah it stems from too many lawyers, that anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone if they have a few hundred bucks, and an entitlement mindset. Also outdated laws that are easy to exploit to get money, for instance copyright and patent laws.

if you can prove your neighbor threw out your mail they can get 10 years in federal prison.

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

Wizgot posted:

How many people get sued in Europe? I live in Spain and have never once been threatened to be sued or have I ever known anyone who has been sued.

Britain is getting bad with whiplash claims but nothing to the extent of America.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Wizgot posted:

It's just called Hot Coffee and it is good.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Also outdated laws that are easy to exploit to get money, for instance copyright and patent laws.

Copyright laws were extended at the request of modern corporations.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Nibbles! posted:

Copyright laws were extended at the request of modern corporations.

yeah

gently caress mickey mouse

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Wizgot posted:

I think this is actionable.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Sue Perkins

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
*Become successful retelling stories in the public domain*

*lobby lawmakers to make sure no one else can ever do they same. Threaten daycare centers for daring to paint what is now your IP on their walls*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RainMaker posted:

From what I remember, McDonalds kept the coffee at an above legal temperature for some business reason (maybe for free refills and stopping people drinking too fast, don't quote me on that). The pictures of the burns were nasty.

The trial took place from August 8–17, 1994, before New Mexico District Court Judge Robert H. Scott.[16] During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At 190 °F (88 °C), the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds. Liebeck's attorney argued that coffee should never be served hotter than 140 °F (60 °C), and that a number of other establishments served coffee at a substantially lower temperature than McDonald's. Liebeck's lawyers presented the jury with evidence that 180 °F (82 °C) coffee like that McDonald’s served may produce third-degree burns (where skin grafting is necessary) in about 12 to 15 seconds. Lowering the temperature to 160 °F (71 °C) would increase the time for the coffee to produce such a burn to 20 seconds. Liebeck's attorneys argued that these extra seconds could provide adequate time to remove the coffee from exposed skin, thereby preventing many burns. McDonald's claimed that the reason for serving such hot coffee in its drive-through windows was that those who purchased the coffee typically were commuters who wanted to drive a distance with the coffee; the high initial temperature would keep the coffee hot during the trip.[2] However, the company's own research showed that some customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving.[3]

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[2] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices. He argued that all foods hotter than 130 °F (54 °C) constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to warn about. The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served.[17]

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
190 degrees is a pretty standard brewing temp for coffee. My Keurig actually brews hotter than that. And I think I'm hitting closer to 200 when I get water to near boiling for my French press. Still sounds super frivolous and like the woman was just out for a payday over something stupid. And now she gets money she didn't deserve and everyone gets lovely cold coffee because of a dumb lawsuit and because she can't hold a cup like a normal person.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 11, 2014

deviler
Feb 20, 2007

Let's take this star craft out of dry dock, shall we?
In Canada you can always tell when a TV channel is American-based because at least half the ads are for lawyers. GET THE MONEY YOU DESERVE. SUE TODAY!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
OP, what did you do to someone.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
and honestly, ive seen a lot of lawsuits go through that go nowhere. I actually dont know anybody who unjustly won a lawsuit, and definitely nobody who got "overpaid" for one. Almost always they get exactly or less than what they deserve (which is often, nothing), and the lawyers get paid for it anyways.

now there are always some lucky sacks out there who win the lawsuit lottery but thats all it is, a lottery

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

1gnoirents posted:

and honestly, ive seen a lot of lawsuits go through that go nowhere. I actually dont know anybody who unjustly won a lawsuit, and definitely nobody who got "overpaid" for one. Almost always they get exactly or less than what they deserve (which is often, nothing), and the lawyers get paid for it anyways.

now there are always some lucky sacks out there who win the lawsuit lottery but thats all it is, a lottery

my favorite is still what, happened to howard hughes fortune

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
In grown up countries there is laws that directly address grievances if a company mistreats a person in the US laws mostly just open something to sueing and then shame people for doing that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In grown up countries there is laws that directly address grievances if a company mistreats a person in the US laws mostly just open something to sueing and then shame people for doing that.

wrong and gay

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
we need to made a second house and senate whom's job is to just remove old laws from the books.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

wrong and gay

Like if you are handicapped and some company isn't set up as the law would dictate to help you in other countries there is a government office you can call and they will deal with it, in the US it just opens the company to be sued and a specific individual needs to sue them.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if you are handicapped and some company isn't set up as the law would dictate to help you in other countries there is a government office you can call and they will deal with it, in the US it just opens the company to be sued and a specific individual needs to sue them.

didn't a government aid office in britain get opened up by the government, on like the third floor of a stairs only building a couple years ago?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

that was not a request for you to poo poo thigns up more, fuckface

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also this. Lawsuits being used as a solution to socioeconomic problems that other countries address with social programs. Also other countries tend to have agencies in place that deal with protecting consumers from getting screwed over by companies. The result is fewer lawsuits because some government agency or program deals with it instead.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 11, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Also this. Lawsuits being used as a solution to socioeconomic problems that other countries address with social programs.

pfft who cares about those weak poo poo countries, who can't even have a real war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
cor m8 me dogs are dying out here and theres still 13 stairs to go... blimey won't sommat call the govment

• Locked thread