Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

City of Tampa posted:

Cool. I like your argument style of "you are wrong just because". And who cares about Europe?

Please direct me to the government agency that does things about individuals being ripped off by their employers. I'm not talking about situations where hundreds or thousands of employees are being ripped off; show me the number to call if I'm not getting paid for hours I work.

1-866-4-US-WAGE

you dont gently caress with hours, thats why timecards and logging are so transparent (in any successful business). its right up there with not paying taxes , its not something you want to deal with as a business because you wont be in business anymore.

now if you're going to try and claim backpay for more money than was recorded you're going to have to go to court. but what other choice is there? if you could claim you worked more than was recorded and get paid for it then everybody would lie and it would fail. but if you didn't get paid for work that you worked thats end-game poo poo for a company (via fines, audits, and revoking licenses)

edit: sometimes it gets interesting with "lunch" (federally mandated 30 minute break for certain amount of time, like 7.25 hours), since some businesses dont work very well that way. for instance I used to work somewhere where that simply wasnt possible sometimes, due to the nature of the business. they were so paranoid about this law that if I wasn't able to take lunch they'd give me FOUR free hours of overtime pay tacked onto my check to keep me happy. highly illegal, but thats how far a poo poo company would go to prevent dealing with the dept of labor

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

doesn't work like that since what and individual does and what a company does are not comparable.

i mean accidentally.

yeah maybe the old woman was a retard who couldn't hold a cup, but thats irrelevant and doesnt excuse typical tort reform advocate faggotry

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i mean accidentally.

yeah maybe the old woman was a retard who couldn't hold a cup, but thats irrelevant and doesnt excuse typical tort reform advocate faggotry

Most of these cases are about people being retards and then expecting a huge payout for their retardation. And it makes everything worse for the rest of us.

The number of legit lawsuits is actually really small. Probably 95% of lawsuits are frivolous in nature and a sane legal system would just automatically throw them out before they go anywhere. And the worst is when these things go to trial, because juries consist of the dregs of society who usually agree with a huge payout being in order for someone who doesn't deserve it. The people who are dumb enough to sit on juries are usually the same kinds of lowlives who file frivolous lawsuits.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 11, 2014

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Another thing that leads me to believe that suing people is a part of american culture is the fact that there are so many small claims court shows on the television. I mean come on. I'm not gonna lie. Judge Judy is freaking entertaining and seeing the lowest of the low in society duke it out over 100 bucks makes me chuckle. However, I feel that it is a negative force contributing to society because it makes it look like its fun and right to sue or look for "compensation".

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
suing people owns its the fastest, easiest way to wealth and power. it also makes people really, REALLY mad to be sued so if you really wanna get back at someone dont sleep with their SO, sue 'em!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In 1995, Robert Lee Brock, a Virginia prison inmate, decided to take a new approach to the legal system. After filing a number of unsuccessful lawsuits against the prison system, Brock sued himself. He claimed his civil rights and religious beliefs were violated when he allowed himself to get drunk. After all, it was inebriation that created his cycle of committing crimes and being incarcerated. He demanded $5 million from himself. However, since he didn't earn an income behind bars, he felt the state should pay. Needless to say, the case was thrown out.

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer's large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like "cement blocks" hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArtIsResistance posted:

holy lol your care levels need to be chilled

Look at who I'm saying that to and tell me I'm wrong. its called self defense

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
DONNA BARSTOW ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL
http://boingboing.net/2012/07/02/cartoonist.html

quote:

Paging Charles Carreon! Someone on the internet wants money from mocking critics, but may need a hand with the legal not-so-niceties.

Slate cartoonist Donna Barstow railed on Monday at online forum Something Awful, whose denizens often repost her work and subject it to withering ridicule. Though one of many artists to find their work attacked online, Barstow is fighting back, demanding payment and accusing the site of copyright infringement.

"Something Awful is the most vile, hateful, racist, stealing, illegal site ever," Barstow wrote on Twitter in a message directed at John Hendren, one of the site's writers. "Shame on you."

When twitterers suggested that embedding and criticizing her panels constitutes fair use--a common defense against claims of copyright infringement--Barstow said that their treatment of her work was nothing of the sort.

"You steal my cartoons (read definition of Fair Use - NOT on SA) and ignore my takedown & DMCA notices. That's evil," she wrote.

To bolster her case, Barstow evoked the Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. Copyright Office and the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and cited today's story in the LA Times describing how Twitter gets 80 percent of requests for user information from U.S.-based police forces.

"Are you talking about people posting them on the forums and making fun of them?" responded Something Awful's David Thorpe. "I think you might be confused about the internet"

"I think you're confused about money," came Barstow's retort. "Can I send an invoice your way?"

Something Awful hosts lengthy threads discussing strip cartoons, most of them embedded from image-hosting service Imgur. One thread discussing Barstow's work is here.

Monday's exchange only triggered a torrent of further criticism--much of it impolite--directed at her work. Singled out was a strip about "wishy washy" men of uncertain sexuality, jibes at Muslims' and Mexicans' expense, and an insensitive remark about Japan's 2011 tsunami and nuclear disaster.

Barstow's cartoons have appeared in The New Yorker, L.A. Times and Sunday Parade as well as Slate. She is also the author of What Do Women Really Want? Chocolate!, a collection of cartoons about confectionary. In the late 2000s, she branched out into political cartoons, drawing the attention of Something Awful's diverse army of artists, writers, fans, flatterers and trolls. She also maintains a blog, Why I did it.

It's not the first time Barstow has threatened critics who reproduce her single-panel cartoons. In 2009, she emailed the ISP of Alas, a Blog in an effort to have two posts accusing her of racism (1, 2) taken down. Renee Martin of Womanist Musing, who criticized the "Mexico" strip reproduced above and described Barstow as a "racist pearl clutcher", removed it at her request the same year. Pandagon, Volcanista, The Faithful Penguin, Kick and Radgeek all accused Barstow of racism over the same strip—and all were sent takedown demands.

The fight is a bizarre inversion of another ongoing cartoonist-vs-aggregator dust-up. In 2011, comic artist Matthew Inman (of The Oatmeal fame) expressed frustration at website FunnyJunk's prolific rehosting of his strips. In that case, however, FunnyJunk ultimately demanded money from him, for what it described as defamation. Inman, for his part, fought not with legal threats, but cleverly-aimed snark and a spectacularly successful charity campaign.

FunnyJunk's lawyer, Charles Carreon, subsequently launched his own lawsuit against Inman.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Most of these cases are about people being retards and then expecting a huge payout for their retardation. And it makes everything worse for the rest of us.

The number of legit lawsuits is actually really small. Probably 95% of lawsuits are frivolous in nature and a sane legal system would just automatically throw them out before they go anywhere. And the worst is when these things go to trial, because juries consist of the dregs of society who usually agree with a huge payout being in order for someone who doesn't deserve it. The people who are dumb enough to sit on juries are usually the same kinds of lowlives who file frivolous lawsuits.

im guessing that your estimation of how prevalent this is might be influenced by disproportionate media coverage, by people with vested interest in making people believe what you just said

basically you are kind of a moron, but not more than average i guess

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

im guessing that your estimation of how prevalent this is might be influenced by disproportionate media coverage, by people with vested interest in making people believe what you just said

basically you are kind of a moron, but not more than average i guess

assuming you are smarter than everyone else makes you just as retarded as everyone else.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

eh i guess it came across that way but tort reform is one of those things that no one cares about, and literally ever person i've talked to buys into the idea that the old lady was just an opportunist because unless you specifically looked into it, you wouldn't even know there was a narrative coming from the other side. I was guilty of it too.

F Stop Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 11, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

assuming you are smarter than everyone else makes you just as retarded as everyone else.

true, but that was an assessment based upon objective standards, i.e. his post

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Here's a short NY Times doc on the coffee lady if anyone gives a poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkL9UlmCOE

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
If you take one wrong step on your neighbor's sidewalk you could fracture a toe and have to go to the ER. You will soon be a half-million dollars in debt for one tylenol; you are thusly obligated into litigating. Welcome to 'murica!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should do an episode of "The Price is Right" based on hospital billing for items, no one would ever win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This is a myth. Most "insignificant stupid things" are actually pretty serious, but PR departments spin it to make the claimant look crazy. (See McDonalds hot coffee incident). This gets congress crying about "tort reform" which basically means "rich corporations should be able to act with impunity"

• Locked thread