Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
pugs are weak, ineffectual dogs inferior to the lion

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

PIerre has a skull that appears to have been caved in with a hammer, but you certainly realize this was intentional and carefully engineered over many generations.

He has been bred to possess the most taut sphincter among canines under 14lbs. His testicles are firm and I assure you he is in peak sexual condition despite the constant wheezing and atrophied leg muscles, I trust you understand the value of such a specimen and find the aforementioned price of four thousand dollars agreeable.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Spanish Manlove posted:

i like chihuahuas, particularly mixed mutty versions, because they're hardy little bastards

I too love tacos

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPCFvLMwyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ1aYHbZwN0

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
This is my pug. His name is Simon Pugg. He is the luckiest dog in the world. He was minutes away from getting killed when we adopted him. He had a rough life before he came to live with us. He had been injured quite a bit over the years, including missing teeth and multiple BBs embedded in his butt.

Here he is, on his own personal neck pillow.

Even though he is a Pug, the clowns of the canine world, he sometimes worries that something may be very, very wrong.

And even though he is named Simon Pugg, he looks a bit like Nick Frost

This is how he spends most of his time.

And this is Darwin. She is half-pug. Also half-beagle. She's chill

We also have a Chihuahua mix, but she has no pug in her, therefore has no place in this thread.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the only pugs i knew irl just snotted and shat wherever they stood over and over

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
who the hell shot your dog?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BKPR posted:

the only pugs i knew irl just snotted and shat wherever they stood over and over

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Pugs are cute I guess.

I still prefer cats though.

:toxogond:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

little retard dogs

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have a pug story.

My ex back in 2010 was watching her mom's 11 year old or so pug. Her mom had moved to Alaska for a few months and it was in poor health so it didn't do well in the cold. She pulled in the driveway late one night and then ran in screaming and crying. She'd ran it over in the driveway. The pug was black and it was dark out so she didn't even realize it until she got out of the truck. The back half of its body was crushed and it was suffering. So I ran to my jeep and grabbed the axe out of the back. I gave it the hardest swing I could to the top of its head with the blunt end.

Honestly I hated that dog always blowing snot everywhere, but that sucked.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 12, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Yo, imma blob posted:

who the hell shot your dog?

Don't know. He was abandoned outside the animal shelter. (This happens frighteningly often.) The vet examined him and found several healed injuries, including the BBs in the butt. He didn't remove them, as they were not causing any problems. The fact that he has more than one may indicate that he was trapped somewhere. One shot would have made him run. Either that, or he kept coming back home to some bastard...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

wilfred sequel confirmed

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
annie cruz

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pugs are adorable freaks of nature, but any pug thread is a time bomb where someone will eventually post that GIF of a pug whose eye randomly pops out of its deformed skull and then the pug instinctively snatches it up and swallows it (and is super-proud of doing so).

You can't punish a dog for that. He doesn't understand.

dr_zaius
Jul 7, 2005

HEY GUYS! AM I A FURRY?! IT'S NOT LIKE I'VE EVER HAD SEX WITH A LIVING ANIMAL.
Switchblade Switcharoo
I...I must see this gif.

I have a rescued pit mix. I wouldn't mind rescuing a pug. I think they would get along well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its really sick that humans would create such a thing for their own amusement.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
yo wahts wrong with corgis? i googled and it said they were a gnerally healthy breed w/ no problems

i need to know because i am not getting a pug due to how bad thier health is and i was gonn aget a corgi because they have all the adorableness with none of the wierd health poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mother in law had pugs. the end is precipitous for the poor things. gj dog fancy. gj.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

yo wahts wrong with corgis? i googled and it said they were a gnerally healthy breed w/ no problems

i need to know because i am not getting a pug due to how bad thier health is and i was gonn aget a corgi because they have all the adorableness with none of the wierd health poo poo

Corgis have short legs because of congenital dwarfism (achondroplasia), and this comes with a bunch of bone, cartilage and joint problems. It's not uncommon for corgis to lose the use of their hind legs in late middle age (8 onwards).

Also Corgis are herding dogs, they're high energy and hard work and completely different than pugs in terms of needs and personality. Just because they have little legs don't assume they're easy to look after

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Corgis have short legs because of congenital dwarfism (achondroplasia), and this comes with a bunch of bone, cartilage and joint problems. It's not uncommon for corgis to lose the use of their hind legs in late middle age (8 onwards).

Also Corgis are herding dogs, they're high energy and hard work and completely different than pugs in terms of needs and personality. Just because they have little legs don't assume they're easy to look after
google says

As a true achondroplastic (dwarf) breed, according to the PWCCA, the Pembroke Welsh corgi is built like normal-sized dogs and thus avoids some of the health issues present in other small breeds. A study conducted by the PWCCA found that the most common issues to look out for in corgis are hip dysplasia, cancer, cataracts, and progressive retinal atrophy.

the high energy thing sounds fine tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Its really sick that humans would create such a thing for their own amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFGNQScRNY

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Do It Once Right posted:

Pugs are adorable freaks of nature, but any pug thread is a time bomb where someone will eventually post that GIF of a pug whose eye randomly pops out of its deformed skull and then the pug instinctively snatches it up and swallows it (and is super-proud of doing so).

You can't punish a dog for that. He doesn't understand.
wait theres a gif of this? i had a hazy memory of some story exactly like this that someone posted on the forums, I didn't realise there was video

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
every male pug I have ever met just constantly pisses on EVERYTHING but they're still nice enough I guess

also they're all fat

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Get 100 pugs together, and you will have less than 200 pug eyes.

Here's my girl:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

google says

As a true achondroplastic (dwarf) breed, according to the PWCCA, the Pembroke Welsh corgi is built like normal-sized dogs and thus avoids some of the health issues present in other small breeds. A study conducted by the PWCCA found that the most common issues to look out for in corgis are hip dysplasia, cancer, cataracts, and progressive retinal atrophy.

the high energy thing sounds fine tho

Dude just get a shelter mutt. Overall non pedigree dogs are less prone to health issues as a group because they haven't been heavily inbred, you tend to get a wider variety of potential issues (due to the larger amount of genetic variation) but at much lower rates than in most pedigree breeds

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAocctuz-8

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

or get a working dog breed from a good breeder who doesn't give a gently caress about the AKC

obviously this rules out broken breeds like pugs though

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2014

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Dude just get a shelter mutt. Overall non pedigree dogs are less prone to health issues as a group because they haven't been heavily inbred, you tend to get a wider variety of potential issues (due to the larger amount of genetic variation) but at much lower rates than in most pedigree breeds

sorry i require my animal companion to be beautiful + cute

also i want a puppy so it mind melds with me at a young age and is forever completely reliant on me and loves me unconditionally till i get bored/tired of it

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Maldoror posted:

Pugs used to look like this:

That was only ~125 years ago.

There are some breeders in Germany that are trying to restore the pug's size and muzzle back to 19th century standards:

I want a pug with a fixed face.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

sorry i require my animal companion to be beautiful + cute

and you were considering a pug?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is what a good dog looks like, forum poster Fajita Fiesta

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007