Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
They're good for you. They have vitamins which help you body grow and repair and fibre which improves your poop. They are also very filling and low in calories which helps you be less fat

Most governments recommend at least 5 servings of fruit or veg a day, and most of those should be vegetables because fruit is often full of sugar. 1 serving is about 3 ounces. If you can eat more than five that's even better

Potatoes don't count, sorry.

Some good vegetables are Kale, Carrots, Cauliflower, leeks and green beans. Some savoury fruits which are generally grouped with vegetables are Tomatoes, peppers, squash and avocados. Mushrooms are a fungus but also count because they are good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
snacking on some peapods right now

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
All of those things you mentioned are gross.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

you're gross

also gros (it's french).

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
No

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Fatkraken posted:

They're good for you. They have vitamins which help you body grow and repair and fibre which improves your poop. They are also very filling and low in calories which helps you be less fat

Most governments recommend at least 5 servings of fruit or veg a day, and most of those should be vegetables because fruit is often full of sugar. 1 serving is about 3 ounces. If you can eat more than five that's even better

Potatoes don't count, sorry.

Some good vegetables are Kale, Carrots, Cauliflower, leeks and green beans. Some savoury fruits which are generally grouped with vegetables are Tomatoes, peppers, squash and avocados. Mushrooms are a fungus but also count because they are good for you.

eat about 80% protein and toss in some vegetables, and an orange once a week so you don't get sick. Don't eat carbs.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I eat tofu sometimes does that count

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cuckoo posted:

I eat tofu sometimes does that count

poo poo gross dude eat an egg instead.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Eat whatever you drat well please, you're gonna die anyways.

Except fast food, fast food is gross.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Onion rings are vegetables right

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Onion rings are vegetables right

Only if Guacamole chips are avocados.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TOILETLORD posted:

eat about 80% protein and toss in some vegetables, and an orange once a week so you don't get sick. Don't eat carbs.

carb-free is complete bullshit; source, my biology teacher from college.

I lost like 30 lbs this summer by doing one weird trick: counting calories while cutting back on soda, while on a diet that was *mostly* carbs

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I wish I could eat more veggies, but years of conditioning by masking every bit of pain by eating an entire container of oreos has deaddened me to taste of anything that doesn't already have 40g of sugar.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
imagine what america would look like if everyone ate mostly vegetables

fat people are gross, why don't people like vegetables? they're tasty and good for you. if anything, too much added sugar and poo poo tastes nasty and overwhelming.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Xaris posted:

imagine what america would look like if everyone ate mostly vegetables

weak and anemic

its almost as if the secret to health is a balanced diet that measures out portions. crazy, I know

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

The Mad Archivist posted:

weak and anemic

its almost as if the secret to health is a balanced diet that measures out portions. crazy, I know

gtfo with this nonsense

ALL OR NOTHING ALWAYS

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
I love vegetables. Its just a major pain in the rear end buying fresh stuff all the time (frozen veg tastes like soggy tissue paper) because of my working hours.

Any tips on vegetables that'll keep for a decent enough time in the fridge?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

weak and anemic

There's ways to get protein without eating meat though. I don't know how properly "vegetarian" they are, but on top of protein peanuts have a shitload of iron as one example.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

zcrow posted:

I love vegetables. Its just a major pain in the rear end buying fresh stuff all the time (frozen veg tastes like soggy tissue paper) because of my working hours.

Any tips on vegetables that'll keep for a decent enough time in the fridge?

carrots last absolutely ages, and are nice raw. Butternut squash keeps quite well. Cabbage, cauliflower and onions also last ages, I buy a 5lb sack of onions and they last me about a month even out of the fridge. Basically anything with dense firm flesh and/or a thick skin is likely to keep pretty well

Avocados and leafy greens aren't so good, avocados will sit unripe for weeks, then get rips for one day and be bad like a day later, leafy greens tend to wilt and go brown in a few days. Peppers and Tomatoes are somewhere in the middle.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cuckoo posted:

There's ways to get protein without eating meat though. I don't know how properly "vegetarian" they are, but on top of protein peanuts have a shitload of iron as one example.

nuts tend to be quite fatty

Soy beans are great for protein, p much the only legume with more protein than carbs OR fat. I think it gives men titties or something tho

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cuckoo posted:

i don't see how you can gain strength if your food didn't feel pain.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense. They don't appear to be food to me, however I joke and say that I don't eat them on the grounds that they can't fight back if I attack them, therefore it's unfair to eat them, as opposed to a cow, which is actually about 4 times bigger than the average adult male homo-sapien. Also, fruits are generally evolved delicious for procreative purposes, ie. an apple is eaten by a horse, shat by said horse, and a new tree grows where the turd falls. This means that, since you play a vital role in the process of allowing the plant to continue it's life, it's okay. However, if you eat a carrot, that carrot is dead. Forever. Not cool.

But the REAL reason is because they're gross.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Melmac posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense. They don't appear to be food to me, however I joke and say that I don't eat them on the grounds that they can't fight back if I attack them, therefore it's unfair to eat them, as opposed to a cow, which is actually about 4 times bigger than the average adult male homo-sapien. Also, fruits are generally evolved delicious for procreative purposes, ie. an apple is eaten by a horse, shat by said horse, and a new tree grows where the turd falls. This means that, since you play a vital role in the process of allowing the plant to continue it's life, it's okay. However, if you eat a carrot, that carrot is dead. Forever. Not cool.

But the REAL reason is because they're gross.

u are a literal child

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Fatkraken posted:

u are a literal child

i eat about 14 lbs of frozen mixed veggies a week. i eat about double the protein. all that happened i lost 100 lbs and started putting on muscle over time. gently caress counting calories.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

green beans are the best you loving whore

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TOILETLORD posted:

i eat about 14 lbs of frozen mixed veggies a week. i eat about double the protein. all that happened i lost 100 lbs and started putting on muscle over time. gently caress counting calories.

:laffo: how disastrously overweight were you that you had to lose 100 lbs

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I just ate 3 bowls of Cinnamon Toast Crunch with 2% milk how does this fit into the OP's suggestion??

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

100 pounds would be my guess :shrug:

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Just ate a kale, carrot, green bean salad with chicken. This poo poo is so easy you dopes. Just eat the good food.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

embarrassingly so but i did it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

u are a literal child

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3456453

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

McNutty posted:

Just ate a kale, carrot, green bean salad with chicken. This poo poo is so easy you dopes. Just eat the good food.
What kind of dressing though?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I eat bell peppers like god drat apples, poo poo is so good

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
why would anyone want to eat stuff that's good for them it doesn;t make any sense

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
People say they eat these things like bell peppers and kale or carrots. But how could they, these things taste bad and things like chips and cookies taste good. So I think it's a lie.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Whirlwind Jones posted:

dressing is just empty calories, just eat the loving salad

save the calories for something more enjoyable imo

vvv :respek:

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 11, 2014

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No dressing. gently caress dressing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

People say they eat these things like bell peppers and kale or carrots. But how could they, these things taste bad and things like chips and cookies taste good. So I think it's a lie.
This guy gets it.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
lol if you're one of these asses who only eats meat and carbohydrates because they never grew out of the elementary school mentality of "veg isn't coool"

like seriously why would you not want to like to eat as wider variety of delicious flavors as you can train yourself to enjoy? the only valid answer is "autism" so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

it's 10 times easier to eat veggies when you can actually cook and know how to incorporate them in ways that add to the dish, rather than dumping a shitload of carrots in something than wondering why everything tastes watery and weirdly sweet

• Locked thread