Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
As an Australian I'd rather blow my brains out than eat Marmite over
Vegemite.

I dunno if you guys have corn thins or what they are called in your part of the world but basically they are thin puffed corn discs. Put a thin layer of butter and then a thin layer of vegemite on them. I like to kind of mix the two together when i spread it.

It's hella delicious.

Another tasty thing is to toast some bread, butter and vegemite it, then put a slice of plastic cheese on it and put it under the grill. The hot cheese and hot vegemite hella compliment each other.

Man would it be possible to melt some vegemite and butter together to make seasoning for popcorn? I gotta try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

redweird posted:

As an Australian I'd rather blow my brains out than eat Marmite over Vegemite.

I normally have vegemite too. Didn't like it a a kid, but later as an adult I got into it because I like salty things, soy, stout beer and strong flavours.
Would be nice to try real marmite, but it's import only in Australia. The marmite here is sold under licence by sanatarium, so it's different to the proper stuff. I can't be bothered tracking down or paying extra for the real British thing.

I usually put vegemite on toast, then under the broiler/grill, with colby cheese (not "plastic cheese")

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I always wondered why everyone suggested a thin layer of butter in addition to the layer of *mite. I always used it by itself and loved it. Then I remembered that it is very salty and salted butter on bread is loving delicious and some butter spread with the funky flavor of *mite would be absolutely DYNA*mite.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

redweird posted:

As an Australian I'd rather blow my brains out than eat Marmite over Vegemite.

To be fair, Marmite was the first one I tried, so maybe it's just what I "got used to." But I found Vegemite to be way too sweet. At times it tasted like a really dark chocolate spread. It wasn't bad, and I finished the whole jar, but Marmite has this ridiculous tang that actually burns your mouth. It's addicting instead of just tasty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fo3 posted:

The marmite here is sold under licence by sanatarium, so it's different to the proper stuff. I can't be bothered tracking down or paying extra for the real British thing.
If you live in Sydney or Melbourne, Treats From Home has it.

ColdPie posted:

To be fair, Marmite was the first one I tried, so maybe it's just what I "got used to." But I found Vegemite to be way too sweet.
I bought some Marmite to try and found it mostly the same as Vegemite but a bit more sour, but weirdly the rest of my family seemed to think it was sweeter than Vegemite.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
When I was little my Mum used to cut Weetabix in half to make it thinner then spread butter and Vegemite on it as a snack. poo poo is awesome.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I haven't had english marmite, but NZ marmite kind of has a molasses taste, Promite is more malty and Vegemite kind of has more of a mirepoix kind of flavour, as wanky as that all sounds. Bovril is just hella concentrated beef broth pretty much.

I eat vegemite with my toast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I melted equal parts Vegemite and butter together last night and poured it over popcorn. Very good this is probably my new standard. Don't know why I never did it before.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I always wondered why everyone suggested a thin layer of butter in addition to the layer of *mite. I always used it by itself and loved it. Then I remembered that it is very salty and salted butter on bread is loving delicious and some butter spread with the funky flavor of *mite would be absolutely DYNA*mite.

Thin layer of butter my rear end. Thick layer of butter. Cold crunchy toast with butter thick enough to leave toothmarks and a layer of *mite is insanely good.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Vogels bread, butter and Vegemite were made for each other. This blog knows whats up:

https://eatingmilkandhoney.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/vogels-and-vegemite-2/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sick and tired of grilled cheese with your tomato soup? Why not have some toast with vegemite for dipping instead?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

A regular Sunday night meal for my other half and I consists of pasta with a sauce consisting of one part bovril, one part marmite, two parts butter, a crushed clove of garlic and a swoosh of sesame oil all melted together and stirred into the drained pasta. Garnish with grated Parmesan or pecorino, and it's basically an umami holocaust of deliciousness.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Camrath posted:

A regular Sunday night meal for my other half and I consists of pasta with a sauce consisting of one part bovril, one part marmite, two parts butter, a crushed clove of garlic and a swoosh of sesame oil all melted together and stirred into the drained pasta. Garnish with grated Parmesan or pecorino, and it's basically an umami holocaust of deliciousness.

:vince: umami

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Camrath posted:

I'm lost. Is it the Parmesan or the pecorino that is attempting to eradicate all the umami from the world?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Sargento did nothing wrong

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This thread inspired me to buy a mite and give it a try even though my only previous experience with it was smelling it once in middle school and deciding it was disgusting. I tried the buttered toast project and it was much more palatable than I expected. I can see a future where its a thing I crave, like sardines. So thank you in advance vegemite thread.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
In my student days, a wise person showed me the light on making "posh" beans on toast:

Heat your baked beans (we're talking from a tin, none of your "made my own" nonsense) then stir in some grated cheddar until it all becomes melty. Toast your bread and spread with first butter, then marmite, thinly (UK stuff in my case). A large tomato slice on each slice of bread. Top with the cheesy beans. The umami underlay for the beans brings it all together.

In fact I ate this last night. Haute cuisine be damned!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I thought it was just me.
Years ago I used to have tinned baked beans on toast but got sick of toast every day. For a while later I tried baked beans and eggs, but it's a pain to fry eggs for breakfast and I got sick of beans for a while, so I stopped buying baked beans entirely.
Recently I bought some baked beans thinking my kid might like them, turns out he doesn't so much so the tins lay wait in my pantry for months.

One day when making toast, (yes I occasionally have toast again for breakfast) with vegemite on it, I decided to microwave about half a tin's worth of baked beans and then pour it over the top of my vegemite toast. It was glorious. Just like when you make your own bean meals and you add things like worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce, *mites, vinegars etc for umami

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 26, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

franco posted:

In my student days, a wise person showed me the light on making "posh" beans on toast:

Heat your baked beans (we're talking from a tin, none of your "made my own" nonsense) then stir in some grated cheddar until it all becomes melty. Toast your bread and spread with first butter, then marmite, thinly (UK stuff in my case). A large tomato slice on each slice of bread. Top with the cheesy beans. The umami underlay for the beans brings it all together.

In fact I ate this last night. Haute cuisine be damned!

I don't really like baked beans but with a few tweaks this doesn't sound too bad. Obviously it should be vegemite and none of this thin layer bs. Throw in some chilli flakes or hot sauce to the baked beans and you've probably got the most awesome breakfast.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You guys are talking about the Heinz-style tomatoey beans, right?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There is no other kind but that in the green can.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Butch Cassidy posted:

You guys are talking about the Heinz-style tomatoey beans, right?

Yep, not american style BBQ baked beans.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Incorrect. Vegemite broth (a heaped teaspoon of Vegemite dissolved in a mug of hot water) is a lovely drink, and is great if you have a hangover

I had never tried this - I was hungover as gently caress this morning (Canucks playoff games :argh:) and tried this before going to work. Good poo poo, thank you

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
heavily salted, garlicy grilled ribeye

dollop of marmite on a plate

slice and drag that poo poo through

game over son

bungatron
Apr 12, 2007
Marmite and cucumber sandwiches - white industrial bread, thin cucumber slices. Cut into triangles for maximum effect.

Marmite and peanut butter on toast.

Does no-one know how to use it properly any more?!?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

heavily salted, garlicy grilled ribeye

dollop of marmite on a plate

slice and drag that poo poo through

game over son

nnnnnnnnnnNNnnnnnnNnnnnn

I have a leftover ribeye from this weekend and know what I'm doing with it now

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Did someone already say Vegemite on well buttered toast dipped into soft boiled eggs? Because that's simply awesome. As an Australian who moved to Canada as a kid I used to take Vegemite sandwiches to school and brag to kids that I didn't like that it was chocolate or caramel spread and they'd take a big bite. It's the little things man.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vegemite on crumpets on a cold morning makes me regress to childhood. Very crunchy crumpets (double toasted) for preference.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I was walking through a very fancy part of the city I live in this morning on my way to work and saw two suited rich businessmen having breakfast at a swanky cafe. There, on their table was a huge jar of Vegemite that looked like it definitely didn't belong. Vegemite: Transcending class barriers.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Vegemite, chocolate and caramel?
http://www.foodmag.com.au/news/cadbury-announces-vegemite-flavoured-chocolate

• Locked thread