Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

If victorian fashion and aesthetics survived into the steam age I can guarantee it would not result in people gluing gears to their loving top hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
wow, hating on steampunk, that's gonna be a really tough sell in gbs...

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
This steampunk poo poo is now completely out of hand

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
The Difference Engine was good tho

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

COBRARocky posted:

If victorian fashion and aesthetics survived into the steam age I can guarantee it would not result in people gluing gears to their loving top hats

Lol victorian fashion did survive into the steam age. Like do you see steamboats going up and down the Mississippi today? Buy they were all over the place in the victorian era

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Please kill yourself steampunk fans

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Doctor J Off posted:

Lol victorian fashion did survive into the steam age. Like do you see steamboats going up and down the Mississippi today? Buy they were all over the place in the victorian era

err its not even a question of survive, its the same period of time

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does FF6 count as steampunk? I'm pretty sure most of the machines in that ran on magic/steam but it actually looked good so I feel conflicted about it.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
But the point stands. A better question is why people are attracted to the idea of steam powered computers and poo poo

Like, oh no, I forgot to refill the PC kettle, my computer just shut off!!

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
my favorite thing about steampunk is how people aren't interested in victorian literature or anything, they just are really into gears

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Otto von Ruthless posted:

my favorite thing about steampunk is how people aren't interested in victorian literature or anything, they just are really into gears

Somebody should do a Charles Dickens/final fantasy 6 crossover

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I have a pair of gear-shaped goggles I wear everywhere

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I have a pair of gear-shaped goggles I wear everywhere

what kind of top hat?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

deadking posted:

wow, hating on steampunk, that's gonna be a really tough sell in gbs...

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
Really, one of the things that makes steam-punk so great is how different it is to everyone, and the fact that it isn't anything in particular. You can't buy it at hot-topic. If you say you are steam-punk, you are. But what this thread is asking, is what a steam-punkian lifestyle is to you, if possible.

To me, it would be punks with etiquette. Scientific, romantic, artistic, and unique deviants that reject the molds of modern society. Victorian sensibility with modern truths (steampunks are NOT racist, imperialistic, homophobic, ect), and a bit of a gently caress-the-establishment attitude. A little bit of geek thrown in, what with the obsession with clockwork and steam-tech (and lady lovelace, can't forget her). There is a general attitude of.. respect in the demeanor of my idea of a steampunkian . We don't necessarily try to be outcasts, but our refusal to let ourselves be brainwashed makes us just that often. Of course, steampunks would have different beliefs and moral codes, and scholarly debate should be encouraged, for there is a bit of truth in everything. In reality, our willingness to learn is one of the things that makes us so different. Knowledge is our form of rebellion. There is no uniform for a Steam-punk in my mind, the only thing i wear that could be considered steampunky is a wind-up pocketwatch with the gears visible (being a teenager people find this very peculiar, but maybe that is part of my attraction to it). Music-wise, it really doesn't matter, as long as it conjures up visions of airship explorations and rusty cogs. That is just my opinion however...

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Otto von Ruthless posted:

what kind of top hat?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

this poo poo is the new multicultural blade runner city knockoff that was everywhere in the 90s

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
To me it's going back to a romantic era full of mystery and (sometimes mad) science.
I like the feeling of being secretive and rebellious, but at the same time being civilized and proper. I love the way everything looks, the leather, the feather pens, the wood, the intricate carvings and decoration. It flows into my beliefs about the environment, that steam is better and that mass train transit would be better. I want to get away with walking down the street with a cane and old clothing.
It makes me feel nostalgic for the old times, but at the same time I like the new stuff.
If only steampowered cars and computers were widespread and there were lots and lots of gears and goggles in the world. Oh what a grand place it would be.
Also more books.

Edit now that I'm thinking about it more:
I guess it reminds me of a fantastical world that really could exist, one that exists nearly parallel to ours and we really could achieve. It reminds me of stories my grandfather would tell me, and of an old europe.
It's so full of culture and amazing things. The things I love to see is the modified computers, they really make me feel like the fantasy of steampunk is just right around the corner instead of some far off distant era (like cyberpunk) or like it's trying to feel modern.
I can't wait until I'm finished with school and I can get back to tinkering more

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i think if hot girls were into steampunk id dig it but they arent, ever

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

I'm the dog hair pube on the brim.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
somebody hurry up and post Johnny Fiveaces so we can get this over with

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

somebody hurry up and post Johnny Fiveaces so we can get this over with

imagine five something on a something lol

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Hipsters are poo poo too. Lets not forget those faggots.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cyberpunk was at least moderately socially relevant, back in the 80s anyways.

steampunk has always been "i think british accents are cool and wish i were a victorian aristocrat"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
more like :gas:lamp fantasy, haha

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

scopes posted:

(and lady lovelace, can't forget her)

What is steampunk about Linda Lovelace?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Steampunk is dumb because all the poo poo their doing with steam power is poo poo you can't do with like, wood burning steam power. Also robots cannot run on steam alone with no computers so that is dumb. And it doesn't matter because coal power plants and nuke plants are steam powered so we are living in steampunk and it doesn't have gears and airships and brass dildos.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Wafflz posted:

What is steampunk about Linda Lovelace?

Well old chap she is quite pneumatic

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
when i play arcanum, i play a mage so i can destroy all the steampunk

:shopkeeper:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
ADBS - Always Be Destroying Steampunk

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

Omi-Polari posted:

when i play arcanum, i play a mage so i can destroy all the steampunk

:shopkeeper:

mages were way better at like everything in that game anyway

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

mages were way better at like everything in that game anyway

hey man

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Steampunk: All of the Techno-fetishism and White Privilege of Cyberpunk, but with none of the relevance!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

siren supremacy bitches

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Even on Second Life, our group is quite varied if you ask them what steampunk is. The most general "bins" you could fit us all into is "Victorian" and "early 20th century" And it's not so much that these are labels, as they are more like flavors of the same ice cream. I am in complete agreement with the "drat the man" attitude, as I think that is the most solid thing that links us to our unlikely sister culture Cyberpunk. As for "punks with etiquette" I am also in agreement, etiquette and education.

I also think a lot of us understand that once machines were refined from their crude beginnings they became stylish and pretty. So why wouldn't our modern computer age do the same? Now that mechanics are place art may flourish. What is the point of all these new fangled gadgets if one can't look spiffing using them!

Just some random thoughts, I hope they were to your liking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
lions, however, ignore poo poo and go for the kill. they are masterful hunters, savannah kings

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
More like steamjunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Broenheim posted:

More like steamjunk

whoa

• Locked thread