Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Noisebridge is a hackerspace for technical-creative projects, doocratically run by our members. We are a non-profit educational institution intended for public benefit. Our space is a 5,200 square-foot space located in the heart of San Francisco. We teach, we learn, we share.

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

asked to leave"]
Dave told me about an incident late Wednesday nite where he was offered some meth by an older white male named Paul. Dave felt so put off that he had to leave. He approached me because he didn't want to be the one to confront Paul even when I informed he had a right to do so.

I proceeded to ask Paul to leave and come back at the next Tuesday meeting to explain his actions. I explained the reason and named the person who was offered the drugs.

One person thought no person should ever be banned. I refused his request to propose a 3 month's break.

Let's use a Git repo to manage our massive, sprawling bureaucracy"]tl;dr: I think we should use a git repository as the canonical version of our policies and procedures.

Chris AKA raging bull has attacked a noisebridge member"]Chris AKA raging bull, was asked to leave. After refusing to leave he was approached by another noisebridge member who said he would call the police if he did not leave. Chris then punched the member in the head knocking him to the ground as other members surrounded him and guided him down the the steps and out the gate. Chris then returned and broke the lights at the gate.

I along with several other people in the community would like to propose consensus for his permanent ban from noisebridge. Chris AKA raging bull was informed that he has the opportunity to return on tuesday to argue his case.

/territorializing"]
beings bringing animals to the space and taking over work/study/learn/do space(s) sucks, is selfish, and inconsiderate.

the other day we came in and some being had put another being's pit bull in the treehouse (booth) because the being with the dog had completely left the space and the dog behind on its own. this was apparently the resolution until the being with the dog returned (if at all) rendering that part of the space unusable.

summation:
last time i checked NB isn't your personal animal shelter, daycare, surrogate daycare/supervision.

it is unexcellent to close off ANY part of the space to use for your pet pen or private romper room.

it is unexcellent and inconsiderate to leave the space and your animal(s) behind in the space.

i love having animals 'that can deal' visit the space and hang out with everyone and it's a very kewl aspect of NB's openess.

please don't project your own issues or agendas onto your animal(s) or the space in general.

86 posted:

Harvey is no longer allowed in the space. Has admitted to stealing, was caught sleeping in the stairwell on many occassions, returned items that belonged to multiple residents of Noisebridge. Was seen and accounted for by multiple members of Noisebridge to be digging in other people's belongings. Many tools and properties of Noisebridge were found among Harvey's things.

On 24th September 2014 Harvey attacked Mitch while trying to interfere with the contents of the mailbox. "If you see Harvey ever again, call the police. He bit my thumb tonight to get back the piece of mail he was taking from our mailbox."

why would hackers come to noisebridge?"]
my complaint is that the culture of noisebridge has become so uninteresting and unrelated to hacking that it is bordering on irrelavent. The fact that you are volunteering your time to maintain the internet at a homeless shelter is quaint, but it doesn't change the fact that most hackers don't want to go there anymore.

[Drama] Fwd: [Noisebridge-announce] Important Noisebridge Procedural Changes"]
One of my first all-night-hack sessions at Noisebridge in 2009 or so was
accompanied by a quiet little hiss-crack all night long from goth kids in
the library having a nitrous death guild afterparty. Why does Noisebridge
have the wrong kind of people offering you the wrong kind of drugs now?

What are the wrong kinds of drugs?

Meth is bad, don't get me wrong. It's provably toxic to people who use it.
I think it's interesting to try and contextualize increased meth use in the
space with shifts in the broader socioeconomic context that supports
nosiebridge.

Want less homeless drug users doing drugs that make themselves worse?

Build a better society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGMjRJpLCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
someone post the fishtank thing

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 423 days!
"beings"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my favorite part was the pic. didnt read any of the words maybe theres some choice quotes in there too idk

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

someone post the fishtank thing

https://twitter.com/AlSweigart/status/409795876291223552 ?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yeah but i think there was a whole big loving to-do on discuss about it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Hacker Aquarium"]
The idea is that the logic here is not mutually exclusive. I'm attempting to bring something to the space I am relatively good at.

Moreover, questions regarding maintenance aren't assuming the additional hacks I'm going to use.

Such as:

An automated top-off system/water changer
An automated feeder

The berlin method is more than enough to handle the maintenance of a small salt water aquarium.

The industry creates an illusion that they are hard to keep and or require high maintenance.

Hence, the reason why they are able to continue to iterate the same products and sell them for very high costs for those that do not truly understand that all you need is to remove the excess waste from the system for it to work.

That process does not have to be tedious.

y'all can follow that link to the saltwater aquarium thread to mine more lulz if you like. noisebridge definitely deserves a yospos thread.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you know how you solve "you have strange people in your hackerspace doing stupid poo poo" problem?

you only give keys to members

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

you know how you solve "you have strange people in your hackerspace doing stupid poo poo" problem?

you only give keys to members

i wanna say they finally gave up and did this and it got a lot more boring

or maybe everyone sane left and its just fnb crustpunks making arduino soup ladels now, i dont know

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

[Drama] Fwd: [Noisebridge-announce] Important Noisebridge Procedural Changes"]
The Tuesday meeting the next day had multiple people, including Kelly say she felt safer in the space for not having Cynthia in it. When weev, who still had his trial lined up, says that he wanted the Police to come into the space and remove her, I feel pretty confident about having made the right call.

:nsallears:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this poo poo is hilarious, 5'd and btw this is pretty much what i imagine all of san francisco to be like

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my eyes hurt im rolling them so hard right now

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

this poo poo is hilarious, 5'd and btw this is pretty much what i imagine all of san francisco to be like

same

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

maniacdevnull posted:

so hard right now

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

posted to the discussion list today while PG&E were braving the storm to restore electricity to lots of SF

Power?"]
> Does NB have power?

I was told at the last meeting that hackers around the world still have a
fair amount of good will for Noisebridge, but I expect that our ability to
exert direct influence to change and improve society is fairly limited
right now.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/86

quote:

Hundreds of people visit Noisebridge every week, and nearly all of them are excellent to each other!
This page lists people who have hosed up, to the point where they are no longer welcome at Noisebridge and may have their pictures posted on the cork board to the left of the elevator (top floor) if they persist in returning.
If you have photos of banned individuals, please e-mail them to noisebridge-discuss.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why do hackers have to turn every sentence and thought into some windbag papal decree
jesus
"power's out, we'll let you know when it's back on"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

why do hackers have to turn every sentence and thought into some windbag papal decree
jesus
"power's out, we'll let you know when it's back on"

sorry, i cant hear you over how excellent im being at making dated 80s movie references

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

why is sleeping at noisebridge a problem?"]
Jeebus Crikey on a Cracker,

I leave Noisebridge for FOUR YEARS-- that's YEEEEEAAAARRRRS, Mr. Van Winkle, and I check back in on the disgustion-list to see what's shakin' with good ol' NB, and YOU'RE STILL DISCUSSING WHY IT'S A PROBLEM THAT PEOPLE SLEEP AT NOISEBRIDGE?! (?(?!)!)

Al, would you please bop some weasels on the head for me... I can't reach the weasel-bopping interface from where my meatspace avatar currently nests.

So what else is new? The door opening operation is still subprime, hackables are disorganized and disrespected, and [crazy] people are telling each other not to use the word crazy? Far out man, glad not much has changed... but hope you don't still have bedbugs.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

for context: these dorks pride themselves on their "anarchist" society, and, well, the results speak for themselves

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

for context: these dorks pride themselves on their "anarchist" society, and, well, the results speak for themselves

quote:

I don't even know where to start with all of this. I really don't like
this idea of centralization of power for a lot of reasons.

I am unabashedly still for radical inclusion of whole communities in this
process. We don't have a still don't have a strong latino presence in
noisebridge, for example, even though we live in the Mission and we should
be functioning as a community resources.

That said, some how we wound up with a "membership" process that has been
reverted. Under what I see in github:
-- The decision making process has been closed to members only.
-- ... having money as a requirement for being a member???? If that
isn't noisebridge gentrification, what else is?
-- ... Making no effort to expand or streamline how more people can
participate if they aren't locally present during meeting times
-- having multiple reports of people on the board going strategically
dark during important decisions, and then claiming a consensus

I realize that all of these passed some form of consensus.... But we need a
lot of work on this going forward.

As a side note, I really don't appreciate demonization of people because of
their choice of drugs. We need to be fighting for the end of the drug war,
not using it as some transparent cheap political trick.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

quote:

disgustion-list
meatspace avatar
mods

pram
Jun 10, 2001
meatspace

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
this is hosed up

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
y do nerds have to ruin everything

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Hacker_Aquarium&action=history

not as amusing as the banned people page tbh

also doesn't include the guy throwing homophobia accusations at everybody who didn't want an aquarium, unlike the mailing list

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
when i first heard of hackerspaces i assumed they were like this

or at least this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2MDHO8Bfg

then i found out about noisebridge and was profoundly disappointed

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Cynthia and "Asian" Reference"]
It's important for people in Noisebridge to feel safe from each other. My first day there, watching Hackers, I was attacked from behind by a large robot rushing in from the other room. That hurt a lot, and was not excellent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite one is the guy on the mailing list asking if there is a way to turn meth back into allergy meds

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

now find the one where someone threw out the special CRT that goes with their SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPE (from 1975) because crts give you cancer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh my god i haven't seen that in years and years. and i can't really remember anything else about that movie but that one scene.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

about policy vis-a-vis true excellence"]
I'm not sure that Rachel's point is that we will "just have to live
with meth-selling".

Adherence to a firm written policy ahead of calm, rational, and
empathic discourse is a trojan horse of a meta-policy that ruins
communities from the inside out.

I hope some of you would consider reading Antifragile, by Nassim Taleb.

and yes, noisebridge does accept bitcoin donations

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite one is the guy on the mailing list asking if there is a way to turn meth back into allergy meds

that is shamefully lazy, some cursory googling will pull up the relevant papers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

my favorite part was the pic. didnt read any of the words maybe theres some choice quotes in there too idk

this is also my experience forums poster pram

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Noisebridge chem class?"]
I am very interested in this. I have a problem that you might be able to
solve.

I have chronic allergies and it is increasingly difficult to get
antihistamines. Not only do I have to get a script from my doctor, but
the pharmacy also keeps track of every package I buy.

Is there any way you can convert meth BACK into allergy medicine?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would assume that meth would work pretty well as a "clear up your head and get to work" medication on its own tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I enjoy the irony of the fact that most "anarchist" collectives end up having more meetings and administrative discussion than any government would over that few people beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

communism gradually devolving into a fascist dictatorship...where have we seen this before...seems like something people should have experience with now...dozens of times...

• Locked thread