Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

quote:

Man, how can this keep happening, Dru? Every time you stick your hand down the pants of someone while ostensibly help them intravenously inject medicine in the corner of a place that's for teaching Python, it seems like otherwise rational people leap to all kind of grotesque misunderstandings!

Can't a person pursue their non-creepy pursuit of entirely consensual sexuality in a dark corner of a hackerspace without having the thought police come along and misinterpret their defences of entirely unwarranted semi-naked drug shooting up complaints by the person who had their pants entered as something *grotesque*? What's our culture coming to?

This is just like that time when the white power tattooed chap came into the space, and people were in some way disturbed by their narrowminded assumption that somebody who has a creed that specifically calls for the death or expatriation of people based on their race TATTOOED ONTO THEIR NECK might be in some way disturbing to others, or worse, might even have some sympathy to that particular opinion.

How do people get so prissy and close-minded that a person can't tattoo nazi imagery onto the back of their neck, then, when asked to help out with the shooting up of medicine in a dark corner of a place for soldering Arduinos, can't cop a quick feel without everyone turning into all "lah-di-dah maybe we should talk about your behaviour in a semi-serious fashion" thought police?

Makes you wonder who the gently caress *are* these people, anyway?
That you think anything here involves me putting my hand down /any/one's pants or that this has even been suggested, would indicate you haven't been paying attention. The "bad touch" alleged here was in the motion to unbutton the pants of a person who asked for a shot, then laid motionless face down on a table. No skin-skin contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
how is this place not getting raided by the cops/dea/whatever at least once a week?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

> Since I don't visit NB that often, I kind of wondered if transients just use NB as a 2nd home.

I think you are really selling NB short here.

Many of them use NB as their first home.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

Daravinne / stolen data"]
1) Learn how to use a goddamn paragraph. Is your enter key broken or is that too being kept by Daravinne? This is painful to read just based on this alone.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I can't believe they found a more annoying term than "females"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
entities

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Wednesday June 19th 2013
(Emailed to Noisebridge-discuss by Leif)
This afternoon I asked an older man named James to leave Noisebridge.
This is loud obnoxious James who used to wear a cowboy hat and be around frequently. Today was the first time I've seen him in several months; I heard he has been in southen california.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

how is this place not getting raided by the cops/dea/whatever at least once a week?

to hear some of them tell it, it's because enough of the NB crowd is white and tech-job-having, and lords that privilege over everyone else as part of the CONSPIRACY to take over ALL of San Francisco for their corporate OVERLORDS

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Just as the CCC has many logos, we too have many logos. I think this may be the best yet:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i kinda want to go now

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Wednesday June 19th 2013
(Emailed to Noisebridge-discuss by Leif)
This afternoon I asked an older man named James to leave Noisebridge.
This is loud obnoxious James who used to wear a cowboy hat and be around frequently. Today was the first time I've seen him in several months; I heard he has been in southen california.

james

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

to hear some of them tell it, it's because enough of the NB crowd is white and tech-job-having, and lords that privilege over everyone else as part of the CONSPIRACY to take over ALL of San Francisco for their corporate OVERLORDS

i get the feeling that when they're not moshpiting each other in their 1 dimensional power structure, they're just straight up LARPing cyberpunk 2020

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

[drama] New logo = terrorism?"]

quote:

So where exactly is the consensus on this?

They may have had cool logos, but let's not forget the RAF [Red Army Faction] and the Weather Underground committed acts of violence against civilians. The RAF killed 34 people in bombings and shootings. The WU was clueless as well as well as violent, killing its own members with an ineptly constructed nail bomb.

None of this constitutes excellence in my book.

How is the new logo not representative of -- or linked to -- violence and ineptitude?

Wha?

Solidarity with violent vanguardist revolutionary groups? The WU and the RAF were quite dependent on the charisma of their leaders; provoking a class war was their only strategy.

I believe that the ideas and methods of the Dutch Provotariats suit the hacker zeitgeist better.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 14, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm now seriously considering selling cheap, obsolete, and/or half-broken electronics to noisebridge at a volume discount if they can pick stuff up in san rafael

god help me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm now seriously considering selling cheap, obsolete, and/or half-broken electronics to noisebridge at a volume discount if they can pick stuff up in san rafael

god help me

sell em at HSC in Santa Clara instead

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mido posted:

sell em at HSC in Santa Clara instead

I don't know what that is.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't know what that is.

it's awesome is what it is

it is to weird stuff what weird stuff is to fry's

also, overheard there today, they might be gone by the end of 2015 as the property owner may sell and the place may get redeveloped into something else blah blah blah, story of the Bay Area, this is why we can't have anything nice, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

because they actively avoid calling the cops about any of the poo poo that goes on there - the drug use, the theft, the sexual assaults, and the people building their own little secret bedrooms in hidden corners are all first responded to by politely asking the person to leave (typically without confiscating the person's drugs or stolen goods), or sometimes waiting for the person to leave on their own and then passive-aggressively posting about it on the mailing list. so the cops might just not be aware of the full magnitude of the poo poo that goes on there

hell, just look at the OP. two physical assaults and two people complaining about people offering them drugs, and in none of those cases were the cops actually called

quote:

1. I wasn't there but I can explain from my own conflict with RAYC, that I spoke with very good friends of mine who are lawyers and definitely are more attuned to the subject of law than anyone who attends Noisebridge. After ALL, my very good friend just graduated from Stanford, AKA the 3rd best school in the world for law!
She read my back and forth emails between RAYC and I, and she'll soon read the emails related to Cynthia's situation and I'm POSITIVE that she'll say the same thing she said before.
That is...
GETTING THE POLICE INVOLVED IN A HACKERSPACE IS ONLY GOING TO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD!!! When you call the po-pos they fill out reports in their little memo pads AND DOCUMENT THEM!!!
That means that when you get the police involved more often, the likelihood of them wanting to probe an investigation on this place increases!!! TEN FOLD!!! THIS is supposed to be an ANARCHY Space not a "Oh let's call the police because we're a bunch of pussies" Space! The only time people should ever be calling the police is if someone has a deadly weapon or at least says that they have a deadly weapon, or threatens to kill someone. Otherwise, NOISEBRIDGE should be the one dealing with the situation at hand. NOT anyone else!!!!!
2. She's a commie sympathizer, O wow, then let's kick out Zephyr then.... (No offense Zephyr, I like you, but I'm just making a point here...)
3. Surrounding her or making her feel intimidated in any sort of way only makes the situation WORSE!!!
4. I'm putting on my wig now as we speak.... "LEAVE CYNTHIA ALONE!!! LEAVE. CYNTHIA. ALONE!!!!"

This is all bullshit!!!

(for context, cynthia was apparently a homeless crazy person who came there to eat their food and rant about how all medicine was a Big Pharma conspiracy)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

because they actively avoid calling the cops about any of the poo poo that goes on there - the drug use, the theft, the sexual assaults, and the people building their own little secret bedrooms in hidden corners are all first responded to by politely asking the person to leave (typically without confiscating the person's drugs or stolen goods), or sometimes waiting for the person to leave on their own and then passive-aggressively posting about it on the mailing list. so the cops might just not be aware of the full magnitude of the poo poo that goes on there

hell, just look at the OP. two physical assaults and two people complaining about people offering them drugs, and in none of those cases were the cops actually called

(for context, cynthia was apparently a homeless crazy person who came there to eat their food and rant about how all medicine was a Big Pharma conspiracy)

you'd figure at some point the cops would figure out some poo poo is going on there. and of course all their "board meetings" or whatever are completely public on the web, so there's about a thousand admissions of fairly criminal activity going on regularly

i'm just amazed their "poo poo dude, don't call the cops!" policy has worked for so long

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

it's awesome is what it is

it is to weird stuff what weird stuff is to fry's

also, overheard there today, they might be gone by the end of 2015 as the property owner may sell and the place may get redeveloped into something else blah blah blah, story of the Bay Area, this is why we can't have anything nice, etc.

unless something has changed (and it may well have, matt is not good at making long-term plans apparently) they are looking at moving to another location, maybe san jose. i believe the location hunt is ongoing. i guess maybe they'll go away if they cant find a place they can afford by then

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

you'd figure at some point the cops would figure out some poo poo is going on there. and of course all their "board meetings" or whatever are completely public on the web, so there's about a thousand admissions of fairly criminal activity going on regularly

i'm just amazed their "poo poo dude, don't call the cops!" policy has worked for so long

no idea. aren't they in a lovely neighborhood, though? maybe the cops aren't bored enough to need to go bust whiny self-proclaimed hackers to meet their quotes

doesn't keep the building department away though. building inspectors found such severe wiring issues that they ended up having to shut down the space for half the summer to fix them

http://dbiweb.sfgov.org/dbipts/default.aspx?page=AddressComplaint&ComplaintNo=201465341

quote:

Description: Haphazard electrical work throughout 3rd floor, complaintant believes it constitutes a safety/fire hazard.

COMPLAINT STATUS AND COMMENTS
DATE TYPE DIV INSPECTOR STATUS COMMENT
04/08/14 CASE OPENED EID Doherty CASE RECEIVED
04/11/14 CASE OPENED EID Doherty INSPECTION OF PREMISES MADE GAINE DACCESS TO 3RD FLOOR AND FOUND NUMEROUS CODE VIOLATIONS. INSTRUCTED TENANTS TO CONTACT LICENSED C 10 CONTRACTOR TO PERFORM WORK TO FIX VIOLATIONS
06/23/14 CASE OPENED EID Doherty UNABLE TO ENTER NOT ABLE TO ENTER BUILDING. LEFT DOOR HANGER AND BUSINESS CARD. SECOND VISIT. NO ACTIVITY TO ADRESS VIOLATIONS FROM TENANTS SINCE FIRST VISIT.
07/08/14 CASE OPENED EID Ashworth TELEPHONE CALLS SURVEY PERMIT #EW20140702281 OBTAINED
07/18/14 CASE OPENED EID Doherty TELEPHONE CALLS PERMIT WAS PULLED ON 7/02/2014. SPOKE WITH CONTRACTOR ELECTRIC CITY AND HE STATED THAT WORK HAD BEGUN TO ADRESS CODE VIOLATIONS. NO INSPECTION SCHEDULED AS OF 7/18/2014
11/26/14 CASE OPENED EID Ashworth CASE ABATED ABATED. REFER TO CORRECTIONS ON EP#EW20140702281.

quote:

Greetings, friendly programs and users.

This past Tuesday's meeting was an interesting one. Meeting Notes:

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014_06_10

As you all are probably aware, Noisebridge has received a notice from the city that we must bring our electrical infrastructure up to code. Electrician Tim gave us an overview of some of Noisebridge's serious safety problems that probably won't impress an inspector. There are some major safety hazards-in-waiting and some original wiring that was not up to code when it was first done.

As part of the remedy process, we need to get two electrical inspections from the city. Since the inspector could easily declare other, non-electrical violations, Noisebridge needs to appear as safe as possible.

Following the electricians' recommendation the space will be closed to regular activities and non-essential persons for about 1 and half months (see "what you can expect" below). This is due to the safety hazards of exposed panels and wiring, general trip hazards and keeping works-in-progress stable until completion.

The proposed repair plan:

* Fix major red flag issues in late June to prep for a Survey Inspection:

* Address anything that would risk additional inspections.

* Clean up the whole space as much as possible.

* Fix glaring electrical issues.

* Survey Inspector will let us know what we absolutely must fix; could be
a long or a short list. (Neil & Tim made a list of all possibilities of
what could be on that list, so we won't be surprised.)

* Electricians will oversee Noisebridge DIY working groups to fix "must
fix" items.

* Get it all done by end of July, with spillover time allowed in August.

* Book the "real" inspection, which happens whenever it happens.

What you can expect as a visitor of any kind (Member, Associate Member,
or guest):

* June 23rd - 30th: "soft close" to allow work to be done to prep
for Survey Inspection
* July 1st: "hard close" - major cleanout of the space (necessary
to allow all electrical work to be done)
* August 1st: "soft reopening" - work will still be in progress,
but guests will be allowed.
* August 15th: Grand Reopening and Kickass Fundraising Party to
benefit the Noisebridge Reboot.

The repairs that should be done by C-10 certified electricians were ballparked at $10-15K, with the estimate to be updated after the first survey with the City Inspector. Many of their enumerated repairs will be presented as DIY-friendly, and the cool thing is that they're willing to oversee a team of handy Noisebridge volunteers to work on that class of
things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a hackerspace, but given the kind of "hackers' it seems to attract i can only imagine the groverhouse level of poo poo they pulled on their DIY electrical repairs

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tac nuke sf

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

hail cat satan

[Noisebridge-discuss] Can't we just make Jenkem in the space?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BONGHITZ posted:

saw his pants and closed the video

saw his pants started laughing, watched the whole thing

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Noisebridge getting rid of their stove was the biggest drama remover.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Noisebridge getting rid of their stove was the biggest drama remover.

but not before

• someone threatened to remove the stove with a sledgehammer if the kitchen was not cleaned up
  • the kitchen was not cleaned up
  • the induction stove top mysteriously developed a giant hole and cracks in it
  • a note was left on the stove indicating that using it was very very dangerous since water would enter the delicate induction-related internal workings and probably kill someone, idk
  • the stove continued to be used
  • someone responsible pulled the breaker to disable the stove
  • someone else juryrigged the breaker box to reenable the stove

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

but not before

• someone threatened to remove the stove with a sledgehammer if the kitchen was not cleaned up
  • a note was left on the stove indicating that using it was very very dangerous since water would enter the delicate induction-related internal workings and probably kill someone, idk

ironically the last part might be one of the most hacking related things that has happened at noisebridge in a long time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

watch me hack electrical safety with this penny!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jony ive aces posted:

wait according to wikipedia, the free encyclopedia anyone can edit, that's pretty much what c-base in berlin is

Wheres the parts of that hackerspace where you actually do work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

that guy in the first picture has a laptop, he could be hacking something

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How am I supposed to focus on soldering with all this terrible lighting

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

The police in the mission are busy intimidating minorities. Anyways, You just have to go to the park a few blocks away to find way more drugs and crime.

i get the feeling that when they're not moshpiting each other in their 1 dimensional power structure, they're just straight up LARPing cyberpunk 2020

it's actually way more insufferably nerdy than that.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

but not before

uh.. trap sprung

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

all first responded to by politely asking the person to leave (typically without confiscating the person's drugs or stolen goods)
lol if you think that's their first response

that sounds like something fascists would do

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

A Yolo Wizard posted:

do that at home stupid

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

i kinda want to go now

do it. take pictures. report back.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
see if you can build make hack a functioning parachute out of that guys pants

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

but not before

another do-ocracy success story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hacker spaces are a waste of time

the overhead involved in letting any old idiot use your gear basically means you can't have any of the good things that "hacking" really requires in 2014, no fancy logic analyzers, no fancy board heaters

you are geared to cut holes in acrylic and maybe CNC a cut, solder some dead bug circuits and pray someone doesn't harvest what few decent components you have lying around

• Locked thread