Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

The Not-So-Great Glass Elevator / banning me"]
Tony Longshanks LeTigre here with what I intend to be my final message to this mailing list. I unsubscribed my Gmail account from NB-Discuss earlier this year but left my Riseup subscribed in Digest mode. Not once in the past few months have I so much as glanced at the Digest, but now I hear I'm on the agenda to be banned from Noisebridge at tomorrow night's meeting. The crime, according to rumor, is my now-infamous mishap with the Noisebridge elevator that happened back in May. I feel the need to correct a little misinfo that's been going around re: said incident. But first, let me say what an honor it is to be deemed important enough to warrant an agenda item at the Tuesday night meeting. What a shame I probably won't be able to attend! For what it's worth, I am fully in favor of being banned, & in fact I have already to a large extent banned myself from Noisebridge by ceasing to work & spend any time there, as a couple people may have noticed.

Now, moving on to the elevator debacle. First of all, I never at any time LIVED, nor intended to live, in the 1st floor elevator compartment of 2169 Mission. I pity the poor urchin who would consider that stuffy, junk-filled cubicle a desirable, or even possible, living space. or a couple weeks back in April/May of this year I was forced to store my clothes & other stuff in that compartment for lack of any other option. Yes, I knew I wasn't supposed to, but I felt that I had helped NB & its hangers-on enough in the past to justify this breach of etiquette, & anyway it was only a temporary stopgap til I found more suitable storage space. One afternoon/evening in early May I was in the cubicle arranging my things in preparation to move it all to a better spot I'd found. Normally I left the elevator door open so as not to be locked in the compartment if the elevator moved to a different floor, but in this case I knew it would take me a block of time to properly sort through all my crap, & I didn't want to monopolize the elevator if others needed to use it. So I closed the elevator door, locking myself in with a flashlight, & got to work. "What are the chances the elevator will have a meltdown during the one hour that I'm in here?" I asked myself (rhetorically).

To my amazed chagrin, that is exactly what happened. The elevator left the 1st floor & didn't come back. Eventually I figured out someone must have taken it offline. I decided there was nothing to do but wait for it to come back in service; in the meantime, I continued sorting & packing, until my flashlight went dead. Then, since I was tired, it was nighttime & I figured the elevator wouldn't be fixed until the next morning, I went to sleep as best I could in that cramped space. This is the one & only time I ever slept in that compartment, mind you, rumors to the contrary. When I woke 10 hours or so later, there was still no sign of the elevator returning to normal operations. Now, for the first time, I started to worry. I had minimal food & no water with me. I thought of the guy I'd heard about who had recently been crushed by the BART elevator after deciding to sleep on top of it. I tried to remain calm & occupied myself by going through all my belongings a second time, then a third....why the Hell wasn't anybody fixing the goddamned elevator? At a certain point I
really started to freak out. After I'd spent more than 24 hours locked in that space, I was becoming seriously dehydrated. With a surge of adrenaline I grabbed a thick board & started pounding on the walls of the cubicle, hoping to attract attention. Then I smashed the glass diamond window in the elevator door & tried to reach through & somehow get the door to open from the outside. No luck, that thing's hydraulic, you'd have to be the Incredible Hulk. Finally, I managed to punch a hole with the board through the drywall. I enlarged it until I could crawl through into a dark, cobwebby crawlspace beneath the front staircase. I could hear people talking, walking up & down the stairs at intervals of a few minutes. I was out of the suffocating cubicle, but still not free. I began pounding at the stairs from below wioth the board, then slicing at them with a knife. At this point one of the guys from Mi Ranchito below NB in the same building came over to investigate all the noise & saw my knife-blade sticking through the gap in one of the steps. I don't know if he thought I was some insane burglar trying to break into the building, or what, but I managed to talk to him through a hole in the wall of the entryway. He brought me a bottle of water & called Wei Ho, the property owner, & got permission to tear up one of the stairboards so I could crawl out. Barely: it was so tight my chest got compressed on the way out, but I was free at last!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

snitches get makerbot stitches

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

snitches get makerbot stitches

effortquote

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what exactly is he describing here? idgi, elevator closet?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pram posted:

what exactly is he describing here? idgi, elevator closet?

sounds like a freight elevator

pram
Jun 10, 2001
irc logs incoming

quote:

22:53 < lilia> NEXT DISCUSSION ITEM: elevator
22:54 < lilia> Someone got stuck in the elevator and had to burrow out under the stairs. he was in there for 36 HOURS!
22:54 < mischief> bahahaha
22:55 < lilia> And...he had to poop.
22:55 < lilia> and was dying of dehydration
22:55 < mischief> naturally
22:56 < lilia> wait wait... so he was living in the elevator? im lost now and i dont even have beer.
22:56 < mischief> well
22:56 < mischief> he told me he went into the broom closet behind the elevator to 'clean'
22:56 < mischief> it just so happened the same day the elevator technician came and shutdown the elevator due to a missing stop button
22:57 < mischief> so he broke through the drywall to the empty space under the stairs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

irc logs incoming

koolaid man fallin on hard times

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

adult themed posters in a do-acracy"]
Is the steam powered dildo displaying adult material? Or is it just the posters?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pram posted:

irc logs incoming

theres a story about peter freuchen who was one of the early polar adeventurer guys, his tent got encased in a snowdrift and iced over and he had to poo poo a turd and wait for it to freeze and then dig his way out with the frozen turd.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its good to see these intrepid hackers following in the footsteps of great men

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Snapchat A Titty posted:

theres a story about peter freuchen who was one of the early polar adeventurer guys, his tent got encased in a snowdrift and iced over and he had to poo poo a turd and wait for it to freeze and then dig his way out with the frozen turd.

oh dude you gotta post his picture too if youre gonna bring him up

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Someone shat on the soldering irons"]
I just walked into the space.

Someone poo poo all over the soldering irons left out on the main table.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

oh dude you gotta post his picture too if youre gonna bring him up

that is such a great pic, i thought everyone knew it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
noise bridge: poo poo everywhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw im pretty sure he cut off his own leg with a swiss army knife cause it was frozen and gangrenous and poo poo

hence the wooden leg

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

I want to be clear that I am not advocating for a lawless state, but rather that anarchism, one of our founding notions, provides mechanisms far more effective than force for achieving harmony.
lol i was willing to give these fuckers the benefit of the doubt but jesus loving christ

like yeah the police are white/rich supremacist thugs, but if some self-indulgent wanker brings their bullshit into your ~hAcKeRsPaCe~ endangering the whole community, what better way is there to deal with it than having their skulls cracked in by white/rich supremacist thugs. gently caress 'em

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I think I remember someone was working on some kind of real time text detection, and integrating it into a headset that would overlay a version of the text translated into a different language. This would let you read translated versions of things in languages you don't know.

For your purposes, maybe you could adapt this project to do some kind of keyword match like Net Nanny or Safe surf or whatever do, and overlay a black box onto any content that you could conceivably deem objectionable?

That's literally a plot point from the black mirror christmas special

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I think I remember someone was working on some kind of real time text detection, and integrating it into a headset that would overlay a version of the text translated into a different language. This would let you read translated versions of things in languages you don't know.

For your purposes, maybe you could adapt this project to do some kind of keyword match like Net Nanny or Safe surf or whatever do, and overlay a black box onto any content that you could conceivably deem objectionable?
[/quote]

if you want change, just do it. so take the posters down and throw them out.

i could rule this place with an iron (and presumably poo poo encrusted) fist

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jonny 290 posted:

Lol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2013-August/038863.html

quote:

Garrett,

I heard you were climbing up the wall outside the building to get into
noisebridge. This is unexcellent. Please do not do it again.

I will provide you with your own door code (like many people have) so you
can get in by typing your code into the payphone. Please email me with a
number at least seven digits, and i will put that in as your code.

If you want to climb, there is a gym on 17th street a mile east which has
very high walls and climbing safety equipment. You can also go out into
nature to climb.

You can also feel free to climb any building you want as far as i'm
concerned, EXCEPT for 2169 mission where noisebridge is. I am
specifically asking you not to climb that building and i'm sure all of the
noisebridge membership will agree with me that it is prohibited.

If you are opposed to using a code to get into noisebridge you can ask
someone for a physical key, which will work even if the computers are
down. But no more climbing the building.

Thank you,
-jake

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

read the thread, afreak, thats alreadty been posted :mad:

Dogs"]
# MM,
# you have been making awesome and excellent>>
# points please don't encourage the mere attention whores>>
# to come bitch at a meeting.

# let's bring a bunch of tranny, crossdressin, A-sexual dogs>>
# to the space to compliment the already current mix...

# re: people were coming here before that aren't anymore because>>
# they can't breathe?
# in the last year there has been MAYBE one person bitching about>>
# bitches in the space and she was a total bitch (maybe guy) sooo...
# she kept on bitching and was totally ignored and hence...
# no more bitching. and bitches with tails are better ;-)

# i also love those talking about people feeling uncomfortable>>
# when those talking about this are people who try to make others>>
# feel uncomfortable or try to intimidate them or self-label themselves>>
# NB security (there is no such thing).

# bridgers, bring all your dogs and more often...

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 13, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

I'd hate to say it, but I have just adopted a, "This is why we can't have nice things, and I am OK with that" Policy at noisebridge.

There is just nothing that can be done at Noisebridge that will change this that will not drastically change the culture.

So, what I recommend is, guard your stuff, take it home, and don't bring quality items to leave at noisebridge.

an excellent hackerspace

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
good thing they commented out all those words, otherwise that'd be really offensive

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

read the thread, afreak, thats alreadty been posted :mad:

don't make tag this thread with [drama]

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

good thing they commented out all those words, otherwise that'd be really offensive

quote:

> >Please quit using hate speech on the list. It's really offensive and unnecessary.

*nothing* i have said is using hate speech in any way. stop trying to spin things to your agenda because you disagree with something someone says. you are in charge of nothing and no one at the space or on any list(s).
stop telling people how to talk or what to say. although i have *never*posted any kind of hatred on any list i will not be wasting time i can't have back defending myself to you. i would much rather spend it doing excellent, sharing, creative, educational things and making positive contacts.
get over yourself.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

bitcoin bastard posted:

where is shadowhawk, we need a hackerspace expert in this thread
Yeah this place sounds surreal.

I'm familiar with Hacker Dojo in Mountain View but that one is actually run by adults. There's been minor amounts of drama of course but no obvious criminal activity. They even manage to enforce the sleeping rule.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ShadowHawk posted:

They even manage to enforce the sleeping rule.

oh yeah? when is nap time?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

arrgghhh i was gonna make that exact same joke but was like eh kinda lame and passed

now all those eq's go to someone else :mad:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Noisebridge chem class?"]
Hi everyone,

My name is Trent and I have been on and off visiting Noisebridge after a friend of mine showed me the place a few months ago. I am from Oakland.

For a while now I have been running my own chemical lab in my basement. It has worked out quite well but I was wondering if anyone would like to work alongside me on this. One of my most popular chemicals I have produced is desoxyephedrine. This has gotten a lot of buyers and I have done well as a result.

Since this is the case I have decided to see if anyone wanted to participate in chemistry classes hosted by me personally. I can teach you guys how to make chemicals for use in all sorts of your projects and for making money as well.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

- Trent

quote:

desoxyephedrine .. otherwise known as "Meth", a Schedule II controlled substance. (The brand name for this particular methamphetamine is "Desoxyn" even.)

Did you really just post, to a public and monitored list, that you run a meth lab at home? really? .. and you're -ASKING- for help running a meth lab on top of it.

Sir, I've heard of impaired judgement before .. but that takes the cake. Have fun with the attention this posting is likely to generate with the local PD.

-M

quote:

I'm not going to suggest that people make meth at Noisebridge. Also I am using TOR for a reason, doofus. I am not posting my address here and I onyl said that I was in Oakland.

Also my product is never kept on site. And besides, I see good people in Noisebridge who can benefit from learning off of my skills.

I am not trying to make your space into a "meth lab". I am trying to teach you guys chemistry.

- Trent

quote:

quote:

Sir, I've heard of impaired judgement before .. but that takes the cake. Have fun with the attention this posting is likely to generate with the local PD.

This is one of the big problems with the drug war: it comes perilously close to criminalizing the practice of chemistry. In Texas, as I'm sure you're aware, the possession of laboratory glassware is now considered evidence of a crime unless you're a Real Chemist. Here in Argentina, I can't buy acetone, hydrochloric acid, or sodium sulfate, because they're restricted to Real Chemists, in an effort to stop underground chemistry labs producing drugs. And no doubt molecular nanotechnology will run into the same roadblock.

This is not a new problem; we hackers experienced the same thing during the Middle Ages, when they called us "witches" and burned us. But it's deeply dismaying to see it returning in the heart of the modern world.

K

quote:

quote:

I would say that this is an unexcellent thign to bring into noisebridge. Then again when has that stopped anything before?

Can you clarify what you're referring to? Do you mean the discussion of witch-burnings, or something else?

K

quote:

What is wrong about me wanting to teach a chemistry lab at Noisebridge? Just because I engage in so-called "nefarious" activities at home means that I am not allowed to provide assistance to fellow hackers?

Man I certainly hope that all of those people who break into computers don't go and teach you guys how to program code.

- Trent

quote:

quote:

Can't we just make Jenkem in the space?
Can we have a serious discussion about this? I am offering my skills as a chemistry hacker here.

- Trent

quote:

quote:

Hey gently caress face, it's not about it being legal or not. I've lost friends to meth, and hacking isn't a chemical addicition. If you're a troll, great, be an internet dick. If you're for real I will fly back from Japan to kick your rear end out of the space and wreck your chem lab.
At which point did I say that I was going to give people meth? Calm down man. Just because I make the stuff at home doesn't mean that I am going to make the stuff at Noisebridge.

Again, there are people in the space who go and break into computers and we allow them to participate in the space. Why can't I go and teach people chemistry?

- Trent

quote:

quote:

Trent, is there other chemistry you can teach besides meth production? Are you teaching as Walt, Heisenberg, or Pinkman? At first blush, it sounds inauspiciously like the latter.
I am not a fan of Breaking Bad. I also don't have a TV. My basement lab is really my entertainment.

- Trent

quote:

I am very interested in this. I have a problem that you might be able to solve.

I have chronic allergies and it is increasingly difficult to get antihistamines. Not only do I have to get a script from my doctor, but the pharmacy also keeps track of every package I buy.

Is there any way you can convert meth BACK into allergy medicine?

:ssh: a little birdie tells me that "Trent" was a troll posting from a being currerently active in YOSPOS, but everyone at noisebridge figured it was real.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
why does the bill & ted fan club run a hackerspace

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Use of Nitrous Oxide in the space on Sunday night"]

quote:

To sum up what happened: During NB's 4 year anniversary party this last Sunday there were a handful of people near the sewing machines doing Nitrous (i.e. whippets) for hours. I have never seen anything like this in the space before and I felt extremely uncomfortable, especially since some were regulars to the space.

"it's a party dude, cmon" was the gist of what I got.

I got into a small disagreement with someone tonight and found that ultimately he (and friends) felt whippets were legal (they're not, except strict medical use), 100% safe, and since alcohol was being served I should be upset about that too.
they're right. it's not up to anyone to say "oh, this drug is fine @NB but THIS one not at all."

if it's fine for someone to drink booze at the space, then it's fine for me or anyone else to drink electric kool-aid, morning glory, ayuhuasca, or anything else and take anything else.

keep in mind there are also beings at the space taking psychological medication(s) and giving them/trading them to others.

also keep in mind it was a special occasion so beings were more likely to be 'open' with things...

beings

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Actually this is not true, the people who were using the nitrous were also testing the Brain Oxygen Level Measuring device (looks like a blue headband) which has been worked on at noisebridge a lot.

I saw the charts showing how brain bloodflow and oxygenation was affected both by nitrous consumption and conscious efforts of the people playing with it.

As for people playing the "getting the door kicked in" card, get real. You know that nitrous cartridges and balloons are a lot less likely to cause legal problems than having a bar serving alcoholic drinks without checking IDs. Not that we would ever do that.

Everyone who loves noisebridge should accept and appreciate the fact that we are an anarchist organization, and we benefit from that in many ways.

Just because you are offended by nitrous use and not by the drinking of alcohol doesn't make you better than anyone else.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

I went to hackmeet today, tried to join in a few conversations, and got told
to gently caress off because I don't already know people. As I was crying and talking
to someone on the Internet about how these kinds of events are intentionally
hostile to people who don't already have significant social connections, some
guy walks by me, and rubs his hand on my right breast, and calmly walks on as
if nothing happened.

I got groped while I was crying at noisebridge, during an event with lots of
people at it, and nobody did anything. Nobody spoke a word to me. Nobody
offered any kind of help whatsoever, and lots of people walked by me, as I was
there for about half an hour after that happened.

I'm done with noisebridge, done with its community which enables sexual
assault, done with events which are intentionally hostile to newcomers, done
with all the bullshit about it being an "anarchist space" where nothing can be
said about entitled jerks who make the space hostile for others.

Until someone works on the whole "hostility to newcomers" bit of hacker
culture, harassment will be endemic. As long as newcomers are seen as people to
be excluded and hazed, no amount of non-harassment policies or codes of conduct
will do anything substantial.

Kicking out the people who grope isn't enough and won't cause systemic change.
Change the culture which encourages treating newcomers and outsiders like poo poo,
and ignores anything anyone does to newcomers, don't just kick out people who
further this sort of culture.

Have fun with your hackerspaces and your lovely-rear end subculture based on
exclusion and abuse. I don't even need to talk to people like y'all and I'm not
going to spend a moment of extra time with a bunch of people who can't even
look at me after I get groped in front of fifteen people.

I have a key to noisebridge. If anyone wants it, let me know.

quote:

I wish I would get groped at Noisebridge. Naturally, it happened at the
hackmeet that I *missed.* (Who am I kidding? I missed all of them.) I'll
try crying next time, hopefully that'll do the trick. I could use a good
gropin'.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 14, 2014

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

we are an anarchist organization, and we benefit from that in many ways.

quote:

Someone poo poo all over the soldering irons

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I got groped at noisebridge at hackmeet"]
I've ignored noisebridge and the mailing list for months, because the bar got so low that i couldn't afford the drilling equipment needed to locate it. I don't give two shits about your oogle problem or your sleeping drama or whatever other whiny bullshit is the wankfest du jour, but this is really, really loving important.

I brought up the pervasive habit of the "radically inclusive" hacker community to protect abusive people and behavior in the name of not ostracizing people or being "too PC" or otherwise loving up the us-against-them status quo. This is a stellar example of that behavior. Seriously, I don't know how one gets such a mirror shine onto a turd. Satellites can see that poo poo from space.

Jesus H. Christ in a flying rat vagina, what the actual gently caress is wrong with you people? I honestly don't even have words for how completely hosed this is. It makes me want to get a pliers from the dirty shop and start breaking fingers until everyone's learned their lesson.

There is a culture specific to noisebridge of nonaccountability. There is no real penalty for unacceptable behavior. There is no repercussion to an individual or individuals who cross a line or harm another person. The process of consensus must be applied to EVERYTHING, such that no cohesive group action can be performed efficiently or quickly, if at all. "Do-ocracy" subs for group action but has no lasting effect on the psychology of the group or how it functions. I have often described it as a black hole into which one can throw unlimited amounts of resources with no return.

There is also a culture specific to the hacker community of pervasive emotional abuse, executed in such a way that promotes mistrust, paranoia, fear and aggression among peers and friends. Nonvigilance guarantees victimhood, and victims are reminded that it's their fault for not being vigilant enough or not striking first. Infosec is the biggest offender by far, but this mindset has spilled over into anything connected to the hacker scene and culture. Bonus prizes include sexist behavior and ideology among both genders, a generous sprinkling of rape culture, and all the slut-shaming your heart could desire.

Mash these two things together, and you get "a woman goes to a hacker party and is alienated by the local hacker community to the point where she is publicly crying, and is then sexually assaulted while crying, in front of community members who do nothing. This same community proceeds to then lash out at her ON THE INTERNET for complaining about being sexually assaulted."

Oh, and don't try and hand me that "noisebridge-discuss isn't the same as the people in the actual space, isn't the same at the irc channel". You people pass the buck so fast I'm surprised DARPA hasn't claimed it for renewable energy. Everyone who does something in conjunction with the noisebridge name publicly represents the space and philosophy, whether you like it or not. I have been uncomfortable for a long time with declaring any association with noisebridge, because of poo poo like this. The noisebridge community is an embarrassment, and has been for a while. gently caress your bedbugs, gently caress your robot, gently caress your kitchen, gently caress yo couch.

:stonk:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

quote:

I don't think my world includes reality where someone with a "white power tattoo" is a "nice guy". Nuh-uh. It is fine for a community to be open but set some appropriate boundaries.
I've known people--skinheads--who've infiltrated violent racist skinhead groups with great success; I realize people have a lot of reasons to get inked and he may enjoy being approached about it in a friendly, initially non-judgmental manner. If he's going to be a regular, I'd like to be able to explain to others why I'm OK with him being here.

quote:

Gah,

Plenty of kids growing up have tattoos. They got them as part of local gang initiation. Some of them went on to ride motorcycles. You know, gangs that traditionally espouse "white pride" and such. Except, hey, if you grow up in certain parts of Australia (and the US), there's plenty of "<non-white> pride" going on. And if you're the white guy living in that area, sucks to be you. You may even feel pressure to join a gang of your own so you don't get beaten on alone. Does this make you a bad person? How can you get the hell out of that cycle?

I understand if seeing skinheads triggers you. I have my own similar reactions to certain groups and types of people. But if you push those people away, you're contributing to the problem, not making it easier. There's a whole bunch of research into groupthink and group
polarisation, which starts by _pushing away people who think differently to you_ and _pushing away people who you see as a threat / out-group_. Those people form groups of like-minded, polarised people.. and their polarised beliefs get even more polarised.

Guess what? By pushing people away, you may be contributing to the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

• Locked thread