Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Feb 2010:

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

Door bell"]
Greetings Blaine,

I've got to say that while I appreciate your enthusiasm in getting this doorbell problem solved I think RFID is a horrible technology for that purpose...

I know a thing or two about RFID from hanging out with Chris Paget who graciously taught a couple of RFID workshops at Noisebridge...

There is just now way I'm going to walk around with an RFID tag and I don't recommend anyone else do it either. The presence of an RFID tag can be detected from across the street or perhaps even farther away. RFID sensors could in fact be placed around the city to track the movements of Noisebridgers. Or how about a public-garbage-can that explodes when a certain number of Noisebridges congregate near it? Sound crazy? I'm sure that similar devices are being developed for sucka fool US passports with the new RFID tag...

I will block the RFID access control motion. I will explain to all my Noisebridge friends my view on this matter. I won't be the only one to enthusiastically disagree.

Please give it some thought before responding.
BTW this seems to be your first post to the noisebridge-discuss list and you are suggesting this. Wow.

Cheers

~david

They added RFID to the entrance process.
In September 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Feb 2010:

They added RFID to the entrance process.
In September 2014.

i love how they focus on stupid poo poo that will literally never happen to them

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Access systems and Noisebridge:

* There are a number of members that would like their access traffic to Noisebridge not to be logged, ever.
* There are a number of members who have stated that if an electronic system (no matter how secure) was to be setup and forced onto all users of Noisebridge, it'll be removed and possibly destroyed or disabled.
* Many members do not appreciate the idea of access "control" and the potential to deny a user or group of users access to Noisebridge.
* There is no official "access control" group at Noisebridge to act as a policing body to enforce any particular type of authentication system or to reprimand anyone for hacking into a system.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Noisekitchen - Looking for a plumber to do some quick work"]
it might be acceptable to pipe in the water and put a bucket under the sinks as a temporary measure.

quote:

Looking for people, leads and information for a series of
participatory improv noise performances and workshops in the Bay
Area this spring.

I’d also like to a public performance or two, where I
get a larger group (100 people or so) together for an evening to
make noises together.

“Terrible Noises for Beautiful People” is an event I run out of a
semi-fictional institution called “The Misha Glouberman School of
Learning”.

In all the events: participants are guided through a series of
improvisational structures in which they make sounds together. There
are no “performers” apart from the audience –all the sounds are
generated by the audience themselves, using their voices.

Most of the exercises are social explorations and games that look at
issues of how people relate to each other and how decisions are made
in groups. The events tend to run a pretty wide gamut of moods –
pretty crazy and chaotic at moments, quiet and contemplative at
others. They’re generally really playful and engaging and a lot of
fun. The audience/participants are generally not primarily musicians
of performers.

--
Sent from my ASR-33

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i just looked up what an asr-33 is and lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

power botton posted:

the ultimate yosposting rig

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Apocadall posted:

i love how they focus on stupid poo poo that will literally never happen to them

Somebody should be tracking and/or imprisoning these nerds tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why? they're clearly a far greater threat to themselves than the state could ever be.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

power botton posted:

ahahahaha

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at the electrical issues i am sure they had money for $499 breaker panels and proper mains wiring and it TOTALLY wasnt a bunch of stolen-from-construction-site, broke-into-the-habitat-restore jank scavenged mismatched poo poo
YEAH JUST RUN THAT ROMEX OVER THERE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

lol at the electrical issues i am sure they had money for $499 breaker panels and proper mains wiring and it TOTALLY wasnt a bunch of stolen-from-construction-site, broke-into-the-habitat-restore jank scavenged mismatched poo poo
YEAH JUST RUN THAT ROMEX OVER THERE

look at all this knob and tube i just dumpster dived from that reno-site. they were just throwing it away!

score!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

It has come to my attention that..."]

quote:

I would also like to point out the assumption of my guilt throughout this discourse; I was told I was considered a sexual predator by the anarcho-fem community a week before being contacted officially, and this hateful trope has been driving me away from the space since. It will doubtless screw with my social life for another few months and affects me professionally; I can't even get a response from Mozilla's bug network now, thanks to this.
Well maybe you should have thought about these things before you pinned me down on a table and began unzipping my pants without any permission at all, refusing to stop even after I froze in fear asking what the gently caress you were doing. You seemed to be high on cocaine or something, which initially allowed me to excuse the behavior. It wasn't until other people made me realize this wasn't just a one off incident that I decided to report what had happened. I recall you making creepy sexual comments about others way before this incident too, so looking back now I don't find what happened surprising and I probably could have prevented being violated.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mido posted:

hacker spaces are a waste of time

the overhead involved in letting any old idiot use your gear basically means you can't have any of the good things that "hacking" really requires in 2014, no fancy logic analyzers, no fancy board heaters

you are geared to cut holes in acrylic and maybe CNC a cut, solder some dead bug circuits and pray someone doesn't harvest what few decent components you have lying around

iawtp. i think they have /a/ logic analyzer there (but idk how decent it is or if they even have the fancy leads for it or anything) but aside from that i think i have a better lab setup in my bedroom, lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Well maybe you should have thought about these things before you pinned me down on a table and began unzipping my pants without any permission at all, refusing to stop even after I froze in fear asking what the gently caress you were doing. You seemed to be high on cocaine or something, which initially allowed me to excuse the behavior. It wasn't until other people made me realize this wasn't just a one off incident that I decided to report what had happened. I recall you making creepy sexual comments about others way before this incident too, so looking back now I don't find what happened surprising and I probably could have prevented being violated.

:stare:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

iawtp. i think they have /a/ logic analyzer there (but idk how decent it is or if they even have the fancy leads for it or anything) but aside from that i think i have a better lab setup in my bedroom, lol

yeah if I had a fancier iron and a nice board heater w/ heat gun I would be set

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Faucet Warning Sticker"]
Hi All,

I've designed a rough draft of a warning. I money to get the stickers and have them printed.

These stickers can go on faucets and drinking fountains everywhere. Imagine that! If they're on the faucets, maybe after seeing it a few times, if only 2% of all people do the research, it will have an impact. And that 2% will tell others, e.g.

Joe: Hey, what's this sticker on the faucet about? It says "there's poison in your water"
Jane: Oh, that's about the fluoride that the city adds to the water.
Joe: But fluoride's good for your teeth!
Jane: It's actually really bad for you if you swallow it.
Joe: Really? I thought it was good for you?
Jane: Nope. It's a colorless, tasteless poison! Check out their website, fluoridealert.org.

1500 labels for $40
printing 50 sheets at OfficeMax for $5.

Total cost should be under $60 including tax and shipping.

I also will need to do a test print to make sure the QR code works.

I designed it in OpenOffice and I am not a designer. What do you think of the appearance and wording? Do you like the idea? Will you pay for it? And if not, can you suggest a way to get some money to pay for that? I have no bank account or credit card, BTW.

Feedback or suggestions? How can I get money to pay for this?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

there is almost too much crazy noisebridge stuff to repost

Homeless hackers head to Noisebridge for shelter posted:

Mark O’Neil was sleeping at Noisebridge until he was banned, about a month ago. The charge was lack of hacking -- or more specifically, repeated drunken behavior, including spreading cheesecake over his face and taking his pants off in what he called an art experiment. Yet O’Neil insists that he’s contributed. For instance, he said he taught Industrial Design at Noisebridge. “I live here. I'm always working. I don't need much sleep,” he says. “I'm a bit scattered, sorry. I haven't slept in a while. I'm working on the new machine shop.”

pram
Jun 10, 2001

power botton posted:

lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

power botton posted:

stall man??? is that you??

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

The charge was lack of hacking

comrade u have been charged with parasitism first class and lack of hacking against the peoples collective

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I had never heard of a 'Hacker Space' until this thread. Is it like a place where people go to program things, and they are just lonely and what to code around other programmers?

Sometimes I think it would be fun to start a little game company, and maybe even rent a little office in a building that houses other little 'creative' companies, maybe like little art studios and film post-production companies and stuff. However, at no time does my little fantasy contain meth, or even "open source" horse poo poo.

Do people just want to be smelly together and wear weird pants?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

I had never heard of a 'Hacker Space' until this thread. Is it like a place where people go to program things, and they are just lonely and what to code around other programmers?

Sometimes I think it would be fun to start a little game company, and maybe even rent a little office in a building that houses other little 'creative' companies, maybe like little art studios and film post-production companies and stuff. However, at no time does my little fantasy contain meth, or even "open source" horse poo poo.

Do people just want to be smelly together and wear weird pants?

it's supposed to be a place to go use a 3D printer or like an oscilliscope if you don't have one, but it looks like this one is run by homeless people afraid of RFID chips

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a hackerspace is supposed to be where you can go and learn to do all the cool things Make magazine tells you about but instead of a 3D printer and a CNC machine and a tub of arduinos it's a homeless man repairing his crack pipe with a hot glue gun and a naked woman sobbing inside a locker

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
they let weev in which is a pretty good warning sign

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

disrupt judiasm

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Mido posted:

hacker spaces are a waste of time

the overhead involved in letting any old idiot use your gear basically means you can't have any of the good things that "hacking" really requires in 2014, no fancy logic analyzers, no fancy board heaters

you are geared to cut holes in acrylic and maybe CNC a cut, solder some dead bug circuits and pray someone doesn't harvest what few decent components you have lying around

wait so they dont/cant/wont charge for components used?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sniep posted:

no, he means that if you leave your project unsupervised for five minutes someone might just come along and strip them for parts

people leave their half-finished projects there rather than taking them home, and wouldn't you know it, theft and damage are rampant

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

the only payment noisebridge accepts is meth and/or anarchy symbols scrawled on scraps of discarded newspaper

Some dude got trapped in a closet behind the elevator (where he was living) and broke his way out through the wall and/or stairs. He was asked to leave.

Asked to leave: Tony Longshanks & Veronica"]
I asked Tony Longshanks LeTigre to leave and never come back. I did so because of the events leading up to him being trapped in the closet behind the elevator and breaking out through the drywall. During our discussion he affirmatively stated that he was in that space because he was storing items there. I told him that this was unacceptable.

quote:

Also he didn't clean up after himself, and so instead, Dan had to clean up for him. Days of human poo poo and all of tony's abandoned property, apparently. I assume Tony just wants us and the landlord to forget all about that so that he can continue to use noisebridge for whatever he uses it for.

P.S. apparently Harvey is living in the stairwell and gets trapped there sometimes.

quote:

Tony emailed Leif and I with an alternative theory of why he was asked to leave. Apparently (as explained below) Leif is an agent of an ongoing plan by Google and other tech firms to take over Noisebridge, as with the rest of the city. The coup apparently involves an "ethnic cleansing" of Noisebridge. I may be reading this wrong, but the correspondence below should spell it out in Tony's own words.

This is what I meant by saying my patience for dealing with certain people in the space has now reached a limit. If your model of how Noisebridge, and the world, works means that you think being asked to leave Noisebridge because you trapped yourself in a tiny room you know full well you're not supposed to be in, and almost killing yourself in the process, is, in fact, a final damning indicator that your local hackerspace is being taken over from its rightful inhabitants by ... technologists... I'm kind of at a loss. It's sort of like declaring that when you were asked to leave the library because of that time you built a lean-to out of the magazine racks and tried to kindle a make-shift campfire out of the dictionaries, the *real* reason was because of those bastard archivists and their pro-literacy agenda.

quote:

Who do you work for, Leif?

Is it Google?

I'd like to ask you & the others I've CC'd on this message to publicly disclose who you work for. I'd also like *a list of board members* of this supposedly anarchist hackerspace, which has obviously been or is in the process of being taken over by Google and/or the other major tech firms in this City (which take so much from San Francisco & give so little back).

And what was it you told me & a couple visitors to the space a while back about Google sponsoring NB with two large matching grants? Details, please!

BTW, your buddy Tom---is that his name?---is going to get his wish this Tuesday. I was planning to attend anyway to defend Pirate Mike from your unilateral ousting of him (based on an email from 9 years ago that you dug up? What is this, the New McCarthyism?)

I'm not coming to "beg forgiveness" of the community for smashing through a drywall to save my life, however. I refused to leave the space & never come back last night for two reasons:
1) I asked someone to leave the space a while back, informed the entire community of this request via NB Discuss, & my request was disregarded.
2) Leaving the space forever will give people like yourself & Tom control over Noisebridge, which is exactly what they want. gently caress if I'm gonna give the piglets exactly what they want without a fight!

I may be at Noisebridge between now & then. As stated, I refuse the request.

--
Anarchy does not equal Google & techno elitists making decisions behind closed doors.

You are clearly part of the problem, on the wrong side, & what's happening to Noisebridge is happening all over the City. Those who are not part of the elite are under the attack. No, we will not let you have this great City without a fight. I refuse your request. I may be at Noisebridge between now & Tuesday. And I do plan to attend the meeting Tuesday. And I will not be alone!

--
What happened last night was that little prick Tom attacking everyone in the space who wasn't a nice little white hetero tech boy. The ethnic cleansing of Noisebridge is under way. It's sickening. When I stepped in to defend my friend from his attack, he turned the attack on me. For all the good it did him. We did not bow to his orders as he does not run Noisebridge. Leif was merely trying to calm him down & get us to leave, like a good little Google toad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought about trying to either trying to start or integrate some sort of community hack thing but i am so put off by communities like this that im just going to buy a 14' enclosed trailer and fill it with some benches and tools and have a sick portable shop

big tools can be set up outside. should be good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

they can be ok it works best when it's just a few friends and trusted/cool peeps from the community, no horrible nerd man-children grossing up the place

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
A hacker space without rules will fall apart over time or get coopted by retards from groups like Occupy who think they can be part of some movement that isn't a failure. Having run a space myself I can say this with confidence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well my big thing is that i used to give a poo poo about other people and I hated seeing nice shop gear go idle, so I vowed that when I got a good job i'd find some buddies and they could use my lathe just for the principle of keeping precision machine tools busy because they create a lot of value

but then i got old and burnt up and now i'll just buy some stuff for myself and you can buy the finished product

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i've found that generally the only sort of person who it's worth hanging around in a hackerspace with is the sort of person who you'd invite over on saturday to have a beer and mess around in your garage together (iykwim) anyway

in sf if you just want tools to work with, get a membership at the tech shop. it's expensive but the money pays to not have homeless people making GBS threads all over the tools and cooking drugs in the reflow oven

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i thought about trying to either trying to start or integrate some sort of community hack thing but i am so put off by communities like this that im just going to buy a 14' enclosed trailer and fill it with some benches and tools and have a sick portable shop

big tools can be set up outside. should be good

you just have to be selective about who you allow to enter. techshop doesn't have the noisebridge sort of a problem because they have a barrier to entry.

(jonny start the yosbridge)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

in sf if you just want tools to work with, get a membership at the tech shop. it's expensive but the money pays to not have homeless people making GBS threads all over the tools and cooking drugs in the reflow oven

and it's not even all that expensive, especially compared to many other things in SF

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I would drink a beer with most of you so yes let's have a YOSpace

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you have a box of hand tools, a power drill, a good soldering iron, a lathe, a mill and a bench grinder you're like 80% of the way to a great shop anyway

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've volunteered over the summer helping build a makerspace, it was pretty fun. Hopefully they'll be open in the next few weeks. Its membership based but also has square footage to rent out and the 3d printing area is in the front with a flat rate if you want to just print something.

I have a drill press but no place to use it

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 15, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if you have a box of hand tools, a power drill, a good soldering iron, a lathe, a mill and a bench grinder you're like 80% of the way to a great shop anyway

my crafting leveled up HARD when i got a little drill press stand thing. I left it back in hell though so I gotta pick up another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly the most important tool there i think is the grinder. once you have that you can make your own tools

• Locked thread