Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you know how you solve "you have strange people in your hackerspace doing stupid poo poo" problem?

you only give keys to members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wait

so they're upset that the darkroom is ... dark? it's a darkroom, it's supposed to be and has to be in order to develop film.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i think disc format was my favorite wacky film

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going to go to a Hackerspace meeting tomorrow

it will probably be kind of boring and I'll work on my bike while I'm there.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pram posted:

free weev

no don't

you'd have to pay me an awful lot to house teh weev

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

how reassuring

this is p. much best case scenario for bitcoin

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

were not noisebridge but apparently our landlord isn't happy with our buildout :ohdear:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

what'd you do?!?

wood studs and drywall, apparently they want steel. we don't do any metalwork so our fire risk is pretty low.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:116907

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the parakeet is actually a canary, when it does you should leave nosebridge

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

these sort of mental gymnastics really seem to be SOP for libertarians, don't they.

"you can be a dick in our private space but don't be offended if I destroy your thing after you make it because free speech!"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the way basic broke my brain is why I work production ops instead of being a programmer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Share Bear posted:

take this to the buble thread

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

froward posted:

I've started using Noisebridge as a reference point for our hackerspace: Things Not To Do.

same. I think every sane hackerspace may be doing this.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

we use media wiki and only active members have logins because, well, I have better things to do than clean up spam.

which is what that bespoke no-auth wiki is going to turn in to because they made it hard to delete spam

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

i learned how to type in middle school on the worst keyboard ever made

the one that shipped with the LCII

that squishy one

same, but attached to Mac Classic as well

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

they're using a light sensor to unlock the doors? they're worried it can be tripped by a flashlight? they do know the sun rises and sets at predictable times, right?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wtf was the rent on the manhattan location

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

is that actually kevin mitnick

quote:

Kevin Mitnick
(May or may not be the Kevin you think I am)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i'm p sure that's a Pumping Station: One shirt he's wearing

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

what about the difference between foodhacking and paleo butchering

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

wait the nb crew uses slack? not at all what i expected

bay area

also re paleo: it's all fat and protein, of course it's delicious.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

our laser cutter is also broken but that's only because our windows 10 license expired :(

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh god Fish! is the worst, I had to watch that back when I worked for a university-owned Starbucks in college

they also had some dumb dice game where each had dumb modifiers for each of their different drinks and you had to recite the recipe from memory. eventually that game ended up getting sold as a retail item in the store, I don't think anyone bought it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol why did they delete that tweet

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

our hackerspace actually has a pretty cool landlord and most of the other tenants are just as noisy and messy as we are, it's mostly bike frame builders and woodshops

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

our laser cutter has been broken for months because the idiot CTO (me) put a Windows 10 preview on the computer that drives it and it expired

then I got ms to donate us a real license and it refuses to install, and I lost patience because computers suck

our license allows us to also install 7 and 8.1 and 8.1 installed fine so whatever when I let someone else try. thanks microsoft :downs:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

motherboard/daughterboard is a pretty crappy metaphor but the sexism isn't really that big of a deal imo

master/slave otoh, especially when most implementations don't do anything like their namesake...

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I can't tell if he's concerned about someone else sticking things in his USB ports or if he just lacks the willpower to not insert things on his own. :confused:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i'm the random 3d prints

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

We're arguing over whether to (and where) to host a wiki.

I say just put it on wikidot because gently caress hosting it locally, but the ex IT dork who won't loving clean up his workspace and instead spreads his poo poo in the electronics room wants to set up a server and host locally for some reason.

we have some actual infra for our setup, we have wordpress and mediawiki running on an EC2 container and another EC2 container that contains a FreeIPA install (LDAP + DNS + cert management + kerberos) that was, at one point, master-master replicated back to the hackerspace (we haven't turned our server rack back on since we moved, there's currently a bunch of lumber in front of it)

it's still more janitoring than i have time for. thankfully it's pretty locked down to members-only write access so nothing really ever breaks through malicious action

i'm currently playing with lets encrypt and ugggggggh i wish we had the funds to pay for outsourcing this entire mess

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wait, i just broke everything :laugh:

e: looks like letsencrypt assumes you're running OpenSSL and not NSS and gets really drat confused :rms2:

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 25, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

isn't that the thing shadowhawk was involved with

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

if I order a digi-key catalog I just get a "We Re-Deliver for You!" slip and have to go pick it up at the post office because it's so huge

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Newark is cool, when they moved offices in Chicago they dropped four prius-loads full of random stuff off at our hackerspace. we have more TENMA clamp meters than we know what to do with.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

though I also interviewed with them a few years back and the experience was just weird, their parent company and recruiting team is all based out of the U.K. so I had lots of phone calls with some British dude at 7:00 am

also after I turned them down they called me back and said "hey the guy that was going to be your manager decided he doesn't want to be a manager anymore want to be his boss instead"

uhh..... no.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

they drove a Prius down to us loaded with stuff four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

doodoocracy

• Locked thread