Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this poo poo is hilarious, 5'd and btw this is pretty much what i imagine all of san francisco to be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why do hackers have to turn every sentence and thought into some windbag papal decree
jesus
"power's out, we'll let you know when it's back on"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
please peruse the diff of this hackerspace's meeting notes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an 'anarchist' collective has a rule list so complex they need a version control system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an 'open' hackerspace that complains that they are in the Mission and there are not enough Hispanic visitors, then requires that you have a current member vouch for you to be a guest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1979 (Was The Last Time This Miner Was Profitable)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Today was the greatest
day I've ever sold
No time for tomorrow
I recommend you hodl

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bitcoin bastard posted:

legit surprised the 3d printer hasn't grown legs and walked off yet

raw food paleo-freegans probably just can't pick it up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
snitches get makerbot stitches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

irc logs incoming

koolaid man fallin on hard times

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Snapchat A Titty posted:

theres a story about peter freuchen who was one of the early polar adeventurer guys, his tent got encased in a snowdrift and iced over and he had to poo poo a turd and wait for it to freeze and then dig his way out with the frozen turd.

oh dude you gotta post his picture too if youre gonna bring him up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at the electrical issues i am sure they had money for $499 breaker panels and proper mains wiring and it TOTALLY wasnt a bunch of stolen-from-construction-site, broke-into-the-habitat-restore jank scavenged mismatched poo poo
YEAH JUST RUN THAT ROMEX OVER THERE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought about trying to either trying to start or integrate some sort of community hack thing but i am so put off by communities like this that im just going to buy a 14' enclosed trailer and fill it with some benches and tools and have a sick portable shop

big tools can be set up outside. should be good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well my big thing is that i used to give a poo poo about other people and I hated seeing nice shop gear go idle, so I vowed that when I got a good job i'd find some buddies and they could use my lathe just for the principle of keeping precision machine tools busy because they create a lot of value

but then i got old and burnt up and now i'll just buy some stuff for myself and you can buy the finished product

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if you have a box of hand tools, a power drill, a good soldering iron, a lathe, a mill and a bench grinder you're like 80% of the way to a great shop anyway

my crafting leveled up HARD when i got a little drill press stand thing. I left it back in hell though so I gotta pick up another one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo can I come over and help with your radios I'm super poor and radios are awesome

yeah man i'm about to do a project and take photos and document it for yosmag, gonna build an easy scanner antenna for like $10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

nah film owns

if you shoot bigger than 35mm (like medium or large format) you enter baller status and it's a realm that digital doesn't really try to compete in unless you are dropping insane dollars

medium or large format is dope and worth it.

lol who the gently caress is going to piss around with 35 in 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

is this like everyone arguing about analog having better noise tolerance back in the DTV transition days?

like where everyone who argued that was 100% provably wrong?

man i get like fuckin 31 DTV subchannels total its awesome

as a radio nerd i fully 100% approve of ATSC

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

:agreed:

i get 25 up here, about half from the US. i never really watch broadcast tv, but it's there if i want it.

between cbc, cbs, and fox i can watch most of the regional games too

the Create channel owns. once we just sat there and :420:'d while we watched a dude carve a bowl out of a chunk of wood in a lathe. mesmerizing

also theres this old italian lady that makes some dope food and is super chill

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

im mad my IC-T90A now has an entirely useless TV audio mode

in theory it'd still be useful for analog ham tv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

is this actually a thing? because that would be rad as hell

Yes sir it is.

You are correct, SSTV is a big and respected slice of the pie, but there's also full fast-scan NTSC. And repeaters that will rebroadcast your goony neckbearded rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0cL7aPkEk&t=43s

You could probably drop like 3, 5 grand on surplus analog studio poo poo and have a pretty fun home TV station.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i think it would have been cool if when the analog tv spectrum went up for sale, the fcc turned it over to experimenters and we got things like micro-level community tv stations that only broadcast in one neighborhood or apartment building. ultra-local progamming, build community, etc.

i mostly think about this because i remember being a little kid and going to my grandparents' house in middle of nowhere ohio and the local radio station was super super local. like "alright, that was jimmy with his fiddle, thanks a lot jimmy. now mrs. bronson wants to let everyone know that someone left her fence gate open and her chickens got out, so if you happen to see one walking around, pick it up and see that it gets back to her, wouldya? and now here's officer mike walsh to tell you about the policeman's ball this saturday. mike --"

neat stuff

If I had the urge or drive to go into politics or bureaucracy I would become FCC chairman and reallocate the spectrum such that any station that is not independent or independently owned would be stuck in the 102-108 ghetto. Suck it, Clear Channel. 88-92 would go religious just to keep them happy, and then 92-102 would become a 10 megahertz swath of community, LP and unlicensed FM.

gently caress some media ogliarchies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

man i was just bored and flipped to FM and thumb button searched up..up..up..up on the wheel as i was driving and i swear to god that 88-92 is one jazz station then jesus talk, spanish talk, or spanish jesus talk

yeah bank 1 is the jazz station, classical and npr. then repeated
bank 2 is all the rappy poo poo
bank 3 is the rocky stuff

i'd put sports on 1 if that was my thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its me i'm the one out of 12,000 Subaru owners that is annoyed that there's only one bank of AM presets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

take it to the dork room you nerds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

i dont get it whats bad about 102-108

Nothing; Clear Channel just doesn't deserve the amount of spectrum they currently ruin. Also it'd be less financial hit for them to reband to the high side than for a bunch of community/college stations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

free weev

ooh he'd be great @ noisebridge

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

minivanmegafun posted:

no don't

you'd have to pay me an awful lot to house teh weev

Not me. i've got a shovel and a few hours

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

are we building a mud hut?? ?:)

you might call it that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bet i could bring in yosvape and do slides and a presentation and just loving shame the hell out of them that some hillbilly from _arkansas_ was able to design, execute and present a complete DIY project without needing any number of dogs running around or heroin junkies nodding in the cornewr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i realized that they'd probably hate on it, attack me for putting it in a Fascist Computer Chassis, and kick me out until I built them an automated rig to brew heroin from SF dumpster leavings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Maximum Leader posted:

what the gently caress is doocratic

do-o-cratic i guess

cause do make thing whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

what the heck is this thread

stop bikethreading

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

is that his problem, short man syndrome?

dude's got to have some reason why he's such a poo poo

yeah dude he's like 5'5" or smth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

techshop is like 250 a month for the general public or 90 if you're a student iirc.

this is the STUPIDEST MOTHERFUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD and I am done looking at hackerspaces forever and am just going to build my own shop a trailer. Jesus Christ.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those prices should be reversed. pay double if you're some college fucko coming in to use somebody else's gear when your daddys already paying 100k for your school labs. its the motherfuckers that can't go to college that need these things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god i could literally poo poo out antennas by the hundred with that

amazing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp