Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Peatmimp, you are universally loved. :swoon: I don't even bother telling people what I'm interested in their poo poo for. You want cash or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think my general approach to small-talk in transactions can be summarised as "Lie like a teenager whose girlfriend's dad recognises the smell of weed."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

I think my general approach to small-talk in transactions can be summarised as "Lie like a teenager whose girlfriend's dad recognises the smell of weed."

This. He was happy with the transaction when we finished. He just became mad afterwards. Not my problem. Take it up with my fake gmail name and my burner phone.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The ones I'm looking at aren't much bigger than a house generator.

Well, I was trying to make it somehow connected to AI....

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

meatpimp posted:

This. He was happy with the transaction when we finished. He just became mad afterwards. Not my problem. Take it up with my fake gmail name and my burner phone.

I'm not very good with CL poo poo. Sold a almost new really nice fridge on there once, two guys, together come to get it, one of them undercuts me price by like $20, OK dude, sure, then the next guy offers me even less.

I believe I just said "Are you loving making GBS threads me, or are you retarded?"

Pretty much have had the same luck with Armslist. This ain't eBay you loving moron, we don't start bidding at your price you rear end gently caress, and I sure as poo poo ain't giving you photocopies of my loving license for a loving cheap gun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I don't bother using another email, no need to with CL now. Sure as hell don't give out any numbers, burner or not, if you can't correspond via email gently caress off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

Well, I was trying to make it somehow connected to AI....

Well, I mean, if a bigger one came along I wouldn't say no. If its big, I would be willing to build a trailer to tote the thing around seeing how I have no truck need at this point in time....

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm jonesing for a clean e36 with countour wheels. I think when i get my 540i DD-able next spring, e36 is the next project.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone here know what to look for in a classic beetle? My dad talks about this green beetle he used to have and I really want to find a running one or try to restore one. I'm in Ohio so I imagine rust is my main concern.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm fresh out of ideas at this point. I guess I should find a daily, I'd say E30, but they're overvalued now.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

A buddy of mine in my class just bought my (affordable) dream car, a 2014 Focus ST. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, and that seems like a great option. Hatchback, turbo, and can be had for under $25000.
I rode with him and it seems like it'd be a hoot to drive.

Orrrrrr.....apparently I can buy one of my real dream cars for the same price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261699517413?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not too sure about the rims and interior, but that paint and stuff, whooo boy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

I'm fresh out of ideas at this point. I guess I should find a daily, I'd say E30, but they're overvalued now.

Get a Mk2 Supra, duh.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

mariooncrack posted:

Does anyone here know what to look for in a classic beetle? My dad talks about this green beetle he used to have and I really want to find a running one or try to restore one. I'm in Ohio so I imagine rust is my main concern.

How classic do you want? Will any air-cooled do, or do you have a particular affinity towards something extra-classic?

Rust will be the biggest thing outside of the west coast, but all the normal old-car stuff would be a concern - seals, leaks, fuel lines, etc.

I personally prefer the 1303 / curved windshield Super Beetle. Strut front suspension, IRS in the back, and a little bit nicer interior setup. '66+ got a 12V electrical system, and '69+ changed from swing axle to IRS rear suspension. I think they switched to fuel injection in '74 and I'd avoid that as well.

edit: As for me, I'm pretty stuck as far as vehicles go - only have one garage spot and it's down a very steep driveway so only things with a good amount of ground clearance will make it. Anything additional I'd have to street park and that restricts how nice I'd actually want to go. I'm basically restricted to a compact crossover and a motorcycle nowadays. The current ride is a 2004 RAV4 which Suits My Needs as something I can bash into poo poo in the city and not care about, but I would very much like something that could get out of its own way eventually. Motorcycle I'm stil on the hunt for a good used Versys, and I'm riding a friend's DRZ400SM in the interim.

I have this weird cartism when it comes to planning where I want the bikes and cars to "make sense" together. So if I got an X1 or X3 I'd want a BMW bike, VW now makes sense with a Ducati, Toyota with Yamaha, etc. I need this to stop.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 15, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How classic do you want? Will any air-cooled do, or do you have a particular affinity towards something extra-classic?

Rust will be the biggest thing outside of the west coast, but all the normal old-car stuff would be a concern - seals, leaks, fuel lines, etc.

I personally prefer the 1303 / curved windshield Super Beetle. Strut front suspension, IRS in the back, and a little bit nicer interior setup. '66+ got a 12V electrical system, and '69+ changed from swing axle to IRS rear suspension. I think they switched to fuel injection in '74 and I'd avoid that as well.

My dad said he had a 67 so ideally, one of those. Would that be a bad idea?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
No, '67 was a pretty substantial change year and the Standards didn't really get another one afterwards. I'd think he'd be very pleased with anything '67 or newer.

Just stay away from the autostick.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Das Volk posted:

If you're patient they can still be had for cheap. Yeah a clean 1989 AW 325is or a 1988 hennarot m3 is going to be horribly overpriced, but not every e30 is going to fetch top dollar. For instance, any e30 that is: 4 door, not a desireable paint color, 1987 or earlier, convertible, an ETA, any 4banger that isn't a slicktop, or automatic isn't worth a lot. I also see a lot of 1988 325 super eta's sell for cheap by owners who don't know how cool it is. You can find good ones in the $800-3k range on craigslist if you look far/long enough.

And to be honest, the less desireable ones make the best daily drivers. 4 doors barely weighs any more and has the same wheelbase, early models get the awesome 5mph diving board bumpers which are amazing for city parking, eta's get more low end torque, a flatter powerband, and have more efficient gearing for highway speeds, etc. Throw a set of used sport seats ($100 give or take depending on color), a mtech 1 wheel($30?), and a 5 speed ($600 all said and done) in any e30 and its a great car. Hell throw an LSD in while you're at it.

Fair warning: If you can't live without cup holders in your daily driver, don't get an e30, or be prepared to shell out $80-150 for a decent cup holder.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HEY VAPER posted:

If you're patient they can still be had for cheap. Yeah a clean 1989 AW 325is or a 1988 hennarot m3 is going to be horribly overpriced, but not every e30 is going to fetch top dollar. For instance, any e30 that is: 4 door, not a desireable paint color, 1987 or earlier, convertible, an ETA, any 4banger that isn't a slicktop, or automatic isn't worth a lot. I also see a lot of 1988 325 super eta's sell for cheap by owners who don't know how cool it is. You can find good ones in the $800-3k range on craigslist if you look far/long enough.

And to be honest, the less desireable ones make the best daily drivers. 4 doors barely weighs any more and has the same wheelbase, early models get the awesome 5mph diving board bumpers which are amazing for city parking, eta's get more low end torque, a flatter powerband, and have more efficient gearing for highway speeds, etc. Throw a set of used sport seats ($100 give or take depending on color), a mtech 1 wheel($30?), and a 5 speed ($600 all said and done) in any e30 and its a great car. Hell throw an LSD in while you're at it.

Fair warning: If you can't live without cup holders in your daily driver, don't get an e30, or be prepared to shell out $80-150 for a decent cup holder.

I dunno, man, the ETA never did it for me. If you can find me a clean 325 or 318is with less than 150k miles for under 3500 I'd be your friend for life. Make it a 325iS or iX and I might something something sexual favors send you a personal, handwritten note.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Going to be looking to pick up a Civic Type R EP3 in spring to replace my n/a Impreza GF8.

Quicker than the GF8 if not as fun in the corners, supposed to be fairly bulletproof and sounds suitably offensive with a Spoon half system. If wishes were horses I'd find one with an aftermarket Quaife LSD, sorted suspension and that Spoon system. Most importantly, they're cheap as poo poo these days.

If I can't find a decent one or don't like the test drive experience, I'll probably be looking for a sub 100k, facelift, manual 330ci touring (problem - they're like unicorns and most have been neglected to some degree) or a bone stock New-Age Impreza turbo wagon (and getting Accessport, and hoping to hell it doesn't eat a bearing/ringland).

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm looking at saving for a Volvo 122. Coupé, sedan, wagon, I don't really have much of a preference one way or the other. They all look pretty fuckin cool to me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Why on earth do I want a hardtop Triumph Spitfire? I keep hearing the GT6 is on a horrible chassis and I love the looks of the GT6/TR6/Spitfire but I don't want a convertible.

Please don't put much thought into the response. I have Automotive ADHD and it'll circle around to a 4.0 4x4 Comanche or an SW20 MR2 turbo or a Ducati 916 in a couple of days.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Cheap garages with concrete floors and honest-to-god walls and a roof, welders, grinders, paint...everything I need to restore my poor old Celica.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I just picked up this:

So far have Pirellis and a float charging quick disconnect. I have a transmission kit on the way and I'll probably pick up a big bore kit and new carb for it this month. A nice change of pace from wrenching on the BMW. I was thinking about painting it Calypsorot to match the car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Adiabatic posted:

Why on earth do I want a hardtop Triumph Spitfire? I keep hearing the GT6 is on a horrible chassis and I love the looks of the GT6/TR6/Spitfire but I don't want a convertible.

Please don't put much thought into the response. I have Automotive ADHD and it'll circle around to a 4.0 4x4 Comanche or an SW20 MR2 turbo or a Ducati 916 in a couple of days.

Spitfire and gt6 are literally on the same chassis, unless I misunderstood you. Because Spitfires are cheaper than gt6s and rust is a thing lots end up with convertible bodies, which is a shame as the gt6 is beautiful.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Spitfire and gt6 are literally on the same chassis, unless I misunderstood you. Because Spitfires are cheaper than gt6s and rust is a thing lots end up with convertible bodies, which is a shame as the gt6 is beautiful.

You did not misunderstand most likely. I just haven't done much research and am therefore vulnerable to mouth-breather facts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been eyeing second gen (in particular the 99 & 00) Lexus LS400s as a possible replacement for the Mazda2. Also looking at the ND, but I'm not sure if I can swing 3 cars at the time.

Wishlist:
- XF20 LS400
- ND Miata
- Honda Grom
- Sym Symba

More realistic:
- ND Miata
- A house

:effort:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

You did not misunderstand most likely. I just haven't done much research and am therefore vulnerable to mouth-breather facts.

The GT6 is heavier than the Spitfire, and while uprated springs did help somewhat, the bulkier engine introduced more front-biased weight in spite of the hardtop shell, which combined with the swing-axle suspension out back they're carried over from the Spitty to give some interesting handling characteristics, in particular lift-off oversteer. They revised the suspension design a bit for the Mk2 version (and the GT6 got the redesign before the Spitfire did) to improve matters. The original setup is... crude, to say the least. Like an early Beetle or Corvair, only with a transverse leaf spring. Later design is more akin to a Corvette than anything else.

Bonus points to Triumph for meeting bumper-height laws in the US by raising the bumpers themselves, rather than jacking up the car's suspension like MG did with the later Bs. They also gave it a decent boost in power/performance.

If you want a British sportscar from that era, the later Spit/GT6 is probably the better car compared to the MG B/B GT, but that's a full-on Ford/Holden :can: right there.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Where is the year split for early/later? I see a shitload of '79 Spitfires on local craigslist currently and 75% of them have hardtops :catstare:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm keeping a casual eye out for my next car. No idea what it will be though. I lusted after the new SHO since they were released, and bought one earlier this year. I like the car, but there's something missing. I don't have that love for it that I thought I would. I guess getting something after you wanted it for so long doesn't live up to the expectations. I hope that doesn't sound weird.

Keeping an eye out for sport sedans with reasonable running costs. I try to target 2 to 4 year old cars off lease or early trade ins. The CLA45 AMG kind of intrigues me, as does a 4 to 5 year old AMG E class. Nissan/Infiniti never interested me. I don't want to deal with a BMW and out of warranty Audi's scare the poo poo out of me. Maybe a Caddy ATS, as I tend to favor the domestic automakers. If Ford would put AWD and the 2.7 Ecoboost engine in a Fusion I would buy one tomorrow. In fact I would beat down their door to have one of the first ones.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

F80 M3. I know it will feel like a tank compared so some of my older cars, but at this point I'm pretty much just wanting a new M5 that isn't the size of the old 7 series and the M3/4 appears to be just that.

Will probably place an order in the spring for a 2016. Thinking 6mt, Tanzanite Blue Metallic, and the light 19"s. Wanted to get the CCB's but the BMW thread reminded me how unnecessary they are on anything but a track toy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Adiabatic posted:

Where is the year split for early/later? I see a shitload of '79 Spitfires on local craigslist currently and 75% of them have hardtops :catstare:

The Wikipedia article has all the details but basically '80 is the last year.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

skipdogg posted:

~snip~ If Ford would put AWD and the 2.7 Ecoboost engine in a Fusion I would buy one tomorrow. In fact I would beat down their door to have one of the first ones.

You'd have to get past me first.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

Assuming parity with UK model years, the Mk2 GT6 is 1969, and the equivalent Mk4 Spitfire is 1970. The Spits are easy to spot, as they changed the tail design at the same time.

This is a Mk3 Spit:

And this is a Mk4:

One thing I'm still not clear on is whether you are looking for a GT6, which is the fixed roof coupe, or for a Spitfire with a hardtop fitted (which is still a convertible)?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I don't believe we got the later GT6 models, unfortunately. I am looking for either, but I'd much rather have the actual hardtop (hnnghfastback) GT6.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm going to get a new daily driver to replace my Comanche this winter. I'm looking at p71 Crown Vics, subarus, or possibly an integra/civic. Basically something for under 2k$ that will be more efficient and less terrible on the highway than my MJ. Also I own two e36s and people will think I'm weird if I get another old BMW although e30s pop up on craigslist for a good price every once in a while. Cargo space is a bonus, hence leaning towards legacy wagon or Panther.

User Error fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've decided to scrap my project Triumph Toledo, as it has sat rusting on my drive for five years. That leaves a fun second car hole in my life. I keep looking at e36 m3's. They go for about £5k in the UK, and for that money I can't see anything I'd prefer. Subaru's tickle my fancy but I love BMW interiors, and Subaru interiors leave me cold. E39 m5's are nice but the bills scare me, despite being available for not much more. Sadly I don't have £5k spare, or even £1k spare for rough 540i or 325i :(

I'm daily for the past four years and almost 80,000 miles has been an 6 speed e46 320d touring, and I'm stuck between assuming it'll last forever and thinking it'll die soon. I'm not dying to get rid of it as I love it (it's about as average a vehicle as you can get, but it is fantastic at being average), but I still fantasy shop for a replacement.

My commute is now all town and motorway, so something wafty like a small engined diesel automatic 5series / Mercedes / a6 might be nice (Or a manual Peugeot 406 HDI if I'm skint) if I have a fun car, or another e46 in 330d/330i form if it's my only car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I don't believe we got the later GT6 models, unfortunately.
The USA definitely got them.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm looking at a series of beaters to drive into the ground during winter mercilessly. There's a Dodge Stealth for 900$, the right model year for 4WD too. AFAIK it runs, but tbh, it doesn't need to run very hard.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I'm looking at a series of beaters to drive into the ground during winter mercilessly. There's a Dodge Stealth for 900$, the right model year for 4WD too. AFAIK it runs, but tbh, it doesn't need to run very hard.

Stay way away from a $900 AWD Stealth. Any turbo AWD Mitsu from the 90's going for that cheap is because it'll cost quadruple that amount to get running correctly.

As for me, I'm finally not researching any next car to buy. I have 4 and that's plenty. If anything I'm half-heartedly considering selling my Talon because it's two doors and I don't drive it. It's definitely getting a non-op registration next time it comes up this summer either way. Now that I have a tow vehicle, the Talon might just turn into a track car. Don't need to pass smog for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

You are going to park your 1986 Z31 and drive an old, beat up POS AWD Stealth in hopes it will be more reliable? :raise:

Dude, if you insist on going down that road by that lovely escort or something. The are certainly not good cars, but they are one of the more reliable cars Ford has made even in the lovely years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah get an Escort, or a Corolla/Camry, 323/Protege, Civic, something like that. You already have the exciting/failure-prone car, when you need to just get somewhere boring is okay.

• Locked thread