Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I've realised I'm not all that keen on jamming my dirty mountain bike into my new car, so I'm looking for a beater with a bit of utility. I like terrible cars so right now I'm looking at Holden Combos and lovely old utes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

06-10 Dodge Charger SRT8. I've gotta know everything - I've found plenty of hard numbers, but I'm trying now to find out all the real details, and any issues. Please help. I must know it all.

All that's important to me is the large V8 in the front, the drive wheels in the back, four doors, and a style I've been enamored with since I first saw it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I guess this is the best thread to ask for reccomedations for a new car. I know this thread are banned and such but I'm thinking about selling the fiat, motorcycle, crown Vic and outback to buy a nice commuter car to drive like 600 miles a week on the interstate with. Something not boring and preferably with a manual transmission. I want something newer and has a good safety rating since its a bad stretch for high winds and crashes.

I'm thinking like CTS-V or a m5 or something but scared about maintaining it and the costs involved. Any other ideas?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Holdbrooks posted:

Any other ideas?

Well your choice for new V8 manual and safe are pretty limited. You have the new chevy SS which is the pontiac G8. Parts should be easier to get on the SS cause cop cars sell by the 100,000s. Besides a vette which I am not sure is safe, but defiantly won't be hit with side winds, that is all I can think of if you want high production number (and lower maint cost) and a stick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The chevy SS comes with a mantrans now, the fuel economy ratings are abysmal though.

It would almost seem abusive to mile out an M5 with a boring rear end commute.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

It would almost seem abusive to mile out an M5 with a boring rear end commute.

That and the newer 5s don't look very good in orange.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's an automatic, but a hellcat charger could knock out that 600 mile commute in 3 hours...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'd just go with something inexpensive that gets good mileage. You've got enough fun cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Holdbrooks posted:

I guess this is the best thread to ask for reccomedations for a new car. I know this thread are banned and such but I'm thinking about selling the fiat, motorcycle, crown Vic and outback to buy a nice commuter car to drive like 600 miles a week on the interstate with. Something not boring and preferably with a manual transmission. I want something newer and has a good safety rating since its a bad stretch for high winds and crashes.

I'm thinking like CTS-V or a m5 or something but scared about maintaining it and the costs involved. Any other ideas?

You're a tall guy right? Will you fit in a gt86?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Holdbrooks posted:

As someone who commutes that much sometimes you don't want a CTS-V or M5, gas alone will murder your wallet. A CTS-V is going to get you 15, maybe 16MPG. Your talking 40 gallons of gas a week. Then you have tires to think about. I know the CTS-V has staggered tire sizes, so no tire rotation other than side to side. You'll be lucky to get 20 to 25K miles out of the OEM Pilot Sport tires. Your looking at a set a year. Other running costs will be pretty standard, but if gas goes back up to 3.50 a gallon for the good stuff, you're looking at 500+ a month just in fuel, and another 2K a year in tires. It's an expensive way to commute.

Honestly I wish I had a Prius or some other high MPG car for my commute and a separate fun car for the weekends. I commute on a busy highway though so there isn't much 'fun' to be had. A comfortable ride, adequate passing power and a good stereo would be all I cared about.

There's a recommend me a car thread in Ask/Tell that a few of us frequent.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

Cakefool posted:

You're a tall guy right? Will you fit in a gt86?

This. Ive wanted an FR-S/BRZ for a while, but I've never had the chance to sit in one, much less drive one. At 6'3-6'4 I'm Almost positive it will be too small so I'm kind of afraid to try one out, at least at this point it can stay in the back of my mind as a "maybe one of these days" kind of car.

As for what I'm researching, I believe I'm looking for the impossible; a sporty car that gets decent MPG (25+) in the correct F/R + manual layout (awd also acceptable) that is comfortable for a long commute. I was thinking about an older 5 series since they look pretty big and I've heard great things about the cars, but with it being German and fickle I'm worried about parts cost.

Really anything in that layout that's also comfortable to taller folks with some power would be ideal, I'm open to suggestions. :allears:

Eaterofpoptarts fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 16, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

This. Ive wanted an FR-S/BRZ for a while, but I've never had the chance to sit in one, much less drive one. At 6'3-6'4 I'm Almost positive it will be too small so I'm kind of afraid to try one out, at least at this point it can stay in the back of my mind as a "maybe one of these days" kind of car.

As for what I'm researching, I believe I'm looking for the impossible; a sporty car that gets decent MPG (25+) in the correct F/R + manual layout (awd also acceptable) that is comfortable for a long commute. I was thinking about an older 5 series since they look pretty big and I've heard great things about the cars, but with it being German and fickle I'm worried about parts cost.

Really anything in that layout that's also comfortable to taller folks with some power would be ideal, I'm open to suggestions. :allears:

Splizwarf is over 6'6" I think, and his wife is under 5' and they both comfortably fit in their gt86. It's all about your proportions I think, just ask in the gt86 thread, I bet there's someone your build who can offer an opinion.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Toyobaru was one of the first Japanese cars where as far back as it goes was not my ideal seating position. By 1-2 notches mind you, but that's a pretty big deal for me. I'm 6'4"

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Unless I just hate the way they drive a 3 or 4 year old RX 350. Given who I see driving them I assume this makes me a 30 something mother but I don't care. With Denver's crappy roads I just want a pleasant ride with top notch interior and comfort features and family sized room that I can drive for 15 years before it starts to break down badly. I miss my LS400. The 08 Legacy I have isn't cutting it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Honestly I wish I had a Prius or some other high MPG car for my commute and a separate fun car for the weekends. I commute on a busy highway though so there isn't much 'fun' to be had. A comfortable ride, adequate passing power and a good stereo would be all I cared about.

Holdbrooks: orange-wrapped Prius, gun rack, crying eagle vinyl window decals. It must be done...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think I'd rather have a TDI VW or a Volt over a Prius though. If the one-way commute is short enough you would hardly ever put gas in a volt.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Currently looking at 04-06 GTOs, if anybody here has any first-hand info/anecdotes about them. People hate the subtle styling but I think stealth speed is awesome and that means cheaper prices for me :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tahm Bwady posted:

Currently looking at 04-06 GTOs, if anybody here has any first-hand info/anecdotes about them. People hate the subtle styling but I think stealth speed is awesome and that means cheaper prices for me :v:

Why would you get one with an LS1? How much do you like waiting for parts on a boat from Australia? Is the prospect of dudes randomly propositioning you sound appealing?

(I'm pretty sure if you look up "dick magnet" in the dictionary, there will be a picture of the 00s GTO)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Holdbrooks: a TDI of some sort. We unfortunately never got any of the BMW TDIs with a manual, but if you scratch that requirement, it might be the answer. The Volt isn't the best choice due to distance unless you can charge at destination. Volts are drat near tanks.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I am thinking about a plug in of some sort they have chargers at the hospital up there because two doctors bought volts. So 60 miles each way and 10 hours shifts should be plenty of time for a recharge.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

I'm going to buy my own style sheet. If i see small bart this font changes one more time..

E: Trying to find a way to swing another OG 9-3 Vert for the folks. I'd put the majority of it on a credit card with $X month 0% APR, but I know how that'd end up - and I can't pull cash on PayPal Credit.. can I? I'd consider giving them mine- but no, its mine- and I know it'll be abused. I don't think I could handle that. :v:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 16, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volt then. I say this as a Toyota employee too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Holdbrooks posted:

I am thinking about a plug in of some sort they have chargers at the hospital up there because two doctors bought volts. So 60 miles each way and 10 hours shifts should be plenty of time for a recharge.

I really wonder what the Leaf would be like with decent swaybars and some grippier tires.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Trying to figure out a cheap AWD car for TSD rallying. My heart tells me Audi 4000 turbo quattro. But my brain tells me Subaru Justy. Trying to shoot for $1000 so who knows what I'll end up with.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Phone posted:

I've been eyeing second gen (in particular the 99 & 00) Lexus LS400s as a possible replacement for the Mazda2. Also looking at the ND, but I'm not sure if I can swing 3 cars at the time.

You really can't go wrong with an LS400. I've owned both generations and still have a big soft spot for them. Really, the only downside of the later gen is it didn't come with the bomb proof early 1UZ. They switched to thinner rods for cost savings at some point. However, that could open the door to swapping in a 4.7 block from a Tundra...

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Tahm Bwady posted:

I have an 05, absolutely love it. It has quirks, but I live with them. It's a really good grand tourer in the traditional sense. Good power, comfortable, and great for a long distance cruise (if you can fit all your luggage).
As for it being a dick magnet, I rarely get anyone giving me a second look. If they say anything, it's usually something like "My uncle has a real one :smug:" to which you get to scream at them "YOUR UNCLE HAS A FERRARI?" to their bewilderment. I've only had one person try to race me in over 5 years of ownership. It sails under everyone's radar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yeah, most people think it's a sunfire and don't bother looking too closely.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I changed my mind. I'm keeping my eye on the next gen Wrangler. If Jeep makes it as good as they could make it, I might be swayed away from my WJ and/or Fiesta in two years when it comes out.

There are some stringent, but not impossible boxes to check though:

Aluminum body on steel frame.
Front and rear lockers. (should be a given)
Diesel engine.
Minimum 30mpg highway, 20 city. Which I think is reasonable with the EcoDiesel and an aluminum body and ZF transmission, especially considering the current Grand Cherokee is rated at 30 highway with all its heft.
Under $40k.

If they can pull that together I'll be the first in line. Well, behind other people who buy the models that have a bunch of poo poo go wrong if Jeep history repeats itself.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 17, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Trying to figure out a cheap AWD car for TSD rallying. My heart tells me Audi 4000 turbo quattro. But my brain tells me Subaru Justy. Trying to shoot for $1000 so who knows what I'll end up with.

You really want a 1st gen legacy or impreza. There's nothing for those older cars and nothing from the newer ones fits.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, the Justy is a total bastard as far as Subaru cars go. Everything else has tons of parts interchange but the Justy has very little and it's not from directions you expect.

Still an eager little cutie of a car though. :3:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
That's my one adversion to the Justy. I'm not really interested in a Legacy or an Impreza as I kinda want something that is a little bit unique and somewhat of an underdog or like the Audi has a decent amount of turbo lag that would make it hilarious to drive. I've got an SVX and if I wasn't so sick of the automatic transmission I'd probably use that.

Edit: should say I'm leaning more towards an Audi 4000 if I can find one, even if its beat to poo poo. Audi and VW have some decent compatibility, and I know all the audis from that era share a shitton of parts.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 17, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about an AMC eagle SX/4.

paint it red/white/blue,

:911:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Holdbrooks posted:

I am thinking about a plug in of some sort they have chargers at the hospital up there because two doctors bought volts.

As someone who works for a large hospital this made me laugh really hard.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Holdbrooks you should buy a 2012 or newer chevy caprice. I see listings for 26 of them on autotrader. Most are pretty cheaply priced for a new or low mileage v8 cruiser. No manual transmissions though. It's got cop brakes, cop motor, cop tires etc.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

How about an AMC eagle SX/4.

paint it red/white/blue,

:911:

Honestly if I thought I could get a semi operational one for a grand I'd be completely in on one. I always kind of assumed they were sought after like the Ur-Quattro though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not looking to replace my Peugeot, but I pretty well know what my next car is going to be like, so I'm keeping half an eye out for anything that matches.

Basically I'm just looking for a reasonably roomy wagon with a decent blend of comfort and handling, and 150-170HP or more, depending on how much torque I can get along with it. I have 156HP/217NM right now, so that's my baseline. My shortlist of brands include Peugeot, Citroën and Volvo. I could probably get along decently with a Ford or an Alfa or a non-boring Toyota wagon (haha yeah right) or a non-rusty Mazda (haha yeah right). No German brands, I don't like them.

So far I have a couple of decent ideas of what I'm looking for, but finding something with low mileage at a decent price seems to have gotten harder and harder.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 20, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

Basically I'm just looking for a reasonably roomy wagon with a decent blend of comfort and handling, and 150-170HP or more, depending on how torque I can get along with it. My shortlist of brands include Peugeot, Citroën and Volvo. I could probably get along decently with a Ford or an Alfa or a non-boring Toyota wagon (haha yeah right) or a non-rusty Mazda (haha yeah right). No German brands, I don't like them.

You want an early 2000s SAAB 9-5 Wagon. You can get by with the LPT for your requirements. They're cheap anywhere but Scandinavia.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

You want an early 2000s SAAB 9-5 Wagon. You can get by with the LPT for your requirements. They're cheap anywhere but Scandinavia.

I live in Scandinavia :v:

I could import one from Germany, of course. But hopefully I won't be replacing my 406 for another 8-10 years or so, and by then Saab will be even more dead than now.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

I live in Scandinavia :v:

:greencube: Yes, I know.

KozmoNaut posted:

I could import one from Germany, of course. But hopefully I won't be replacing my 406 for another 8-10 years or so, and by then Saab will be even more dead than now.

Some things are just mean AND HURT, you know..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Also considering a GT350 which is odd as it would be my first American car since a '70 Chevelle Malibu I had in high school. Good on Ford for actually making me cross shop an M3 with a Mustang.

• Locked thread