Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

* fucks your girl, but cooks food, leaves it and booze around your house, cleans your kitchen
* hobbles self financially with long and expensive car projects because race car
* enjoys drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wounded Unicorn posted:

* fucks your girl, but cooks food, leaves it and booze around your house, cleans your kitchen
* hobbles self financially with long and expensive car projects because race car
* enjoys drugs

i've known a couple guys like this tbh

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MStm5udrE

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Strudel Man posted:

They also set up the conspiracy in an x-filesy kind of way where you can't actually do anything about it directly. A decent number of people apparently were so bothered by what's revealed in the quest (and it is a pretty horrifying idea, really) that they decided to kill every gnome they encountered thereafter.

iirc the devs were going to have a bit more to the storyline but it got cut although that could be wishful thinking on my part

Wolfsheim posted:

This sounds interesting but every time I try to play arcanum the ugly, clunky UI and combat always gets me to stop one town in

the patch to hide the ui and reduce it to just a bar of quick actions at the bottom makes the ui 20x more bearable

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ikanreed posted:

Sorry for seriousposting, but the Nazis actually contacted Tolkien to republish German editions of lord of the rings for this very reason.

He told them to gently caress off and that dwarves were based on a myth.

the fellowship of the ring wasn't published until 1954

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Neurosis posted:

the fellowship of the ring wasn't published until 1954

You can't prove this

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
what aliignment am i

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean how would a chaotic evil society even work

Does whoever commits the most rape/genocide get to be king or something

I think china basically works like this. Almost everybody is a selfish amoral cheat but somehow it keeps going on

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

my alignment is party

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

I think china basically works like this. Almost everybody is a selfish amoral cheat but somehow it keeps going on

so drow are basically chinese people living in caves :raise:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
*runs on squeaky wheel constantly for hours at night*

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ilikedirt posted:

what aliignment am i

neutral evil

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I flipped a coin to see if I would read this thread or not.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
tbh lawful evil is probably the best alignment

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bobert Bobertson posted:

tbh lawful evil is probably the best alignment

Do you think a paladin and a lawful evil fighter or whatever could become friends over a shared love of the law

Like the same way otherwise good cops will rush to the defense of the cops that murder blacks/etc

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Do you think a paladin and a lawful evil fighter or whatever could become friends over a shared love of the law

Like the same way otherwise good cops will rush to the defense of the cops that murder blacks/etc

P much, yeah. Lawful Evil dudes would make good neighbors.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Pvt.Scott posted:

P much, yeah. Lawful Evil dudes would make good neighbors.

But poor landlords.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Top City Homo posted:

neutral evil

fair enuff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spork of dooooooooooooom

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

chaotic good = monkey chease alignment :iamafag:

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Even mid-level characters carry more cash than most villagers would ever see in a lifetime. With that kind of power, how could you NOT be an unpredictable psychopath?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dicere posted:

Even mid-level characters carry more cash than most villagers would ever see in a lifetime. With that kind of power, how could you NOT be an unpredictable psychopath?

No joke, my current party has inadvertently ruined a town by flooding its economy with too much money. Also we exterminated the town guard because apparently institutionalized but ultimately low-impact corruption warranted murder in the minds of us idiots. I'm playing a stupid stupid barbarian, but for some reason the other characters go along with the obviously dumb poo poo I propose.

dnd rules

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dicere posted:

Here's why adventurers are terrible people:
Assuming D&D 3.5

Normal man, AC ~10 hp ~2 (human commoner)
Trained soldier AC ~14 hp ~4 (human warrior)
Holy man/ Mage AC~10 hp~2 (human adept) + a lovely spell or two

A first level fighter with 10s in all of his stats can kill a normal man in one blow, use dozens of different weapons and wear any armor. A wizard with a fireball can kill all of the able-bodied men at the town meeting with a word and a gesture, or a less powerful one can cause them to fall into a helpless slumber. A level one rogue can pick some of the world's most complex locks (dc 30, take 20, +3 skill focus +2 masterwork tools, +3 Dex, +2 from an assistant) given a good set of tools and kill an unaware man in the blink of an eye. A cleric can kill you with a touch (cause wounds) or return you from death's door on his whim.

That's all stuff you can do at low level and most of the world (see DMG) are level 1-3 npc classes, likely with little gear. There's no one to stop you except the other psychopaths (PC classes) or your own hubris.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

itt we are dumb fucks

just in this thread?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's all stuff you can do at low level and most of the world (see DMG) are level 1-3 npc classes, likely with little gear. There's no one to stop you except the other psychopaths (PC classes) or your own hubris.

Adventurers, the CEO's of the fantasy world.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought lawful evil was like "order is more important than justice" and would be the kind of guy to execute a petty criminal in public to prove a point etc

e: like same goals, different means

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lawful Neutral master race coming through. Also gently caress WOTC for killing DnDtools.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Bobert Bobertson posted:

I always thought lawful evil was like "order is more important than justice" and would be the kind of guy to execute a petty criminal in public to prove a point etc

e: like same goals, different means

I'm pretty sure that's lawful neutral. Lawful evil are dudes that like living in a society that protects them, but don't mind breaking laws. They're like wall street bankers that would illegally foreclose on an elderly widow but are pleased that the cops keep the poor blacks out of wall street so they can walk to their Mercedes without fear of being mugged.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alignments that work if traveling in a party:

-Any of the lawfuls

-Neutrals

-All of the Goods except chaotic

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Chaotic good is the most likely thing an adventurer is to be, though??

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pharmaskittle posted:

Chaotic good is the most likely thing an adventurer is to be, though??

It's annoying because Chaotic good is an oxymoron. You cannot be stupid random but also work for the greater good.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Alexzandvar posted:

It's annoying because Chaotic good is an oxymoron. You cannot be stupid random but also work for the greater good.

It's not random, it's just enforcing a personal notion of good regardless of the laws. So like if there was an evil count you'd try and remove him and his cronies by force instead of maybe petitioning the more level headed duke to take action. Lawful good also wouldn't abide with an evil count, but they'd try and go through all the legal means, like they might find that in the feudal charter the peasants are owed four holidays a month but only got three. So the paladin would use that as a de jure cause to lead a peasant revolt.

:goonsay:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MegaGatts posted:

It's not random, it's just enforcing a personal notion of good regardless of the laws. So like if there was an evil count you'd try and remove him and his cronies by force instead of maybe petitioning the more level headed duke to take action. Lawful good also wouldn't abide with an evil count, but they'd try and go through all the legal means, like they might find that in the feudal charter the peasants are owed four holidays a month but only got three. So the paladin would use that as a de jure cause to lead a peasant revolt.

:goonsay:

To bad chaotic to 99% of everyone means random idiot so

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Despite how bad players do it, chaotic good is basically just doing the right thing without giving a poo poo about the rule of law or social norms. Chaotic doesn't actually mean "monkey cheese fuckface" as described by any book

efb

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just I see waaaay to many people use Chaotic as an excuse the be an annoying gently caress who just does whatever regardless of what the consequences for the rest of the party.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Alexzandvar posted:

To bad chaotic to 99% of everyone means random idiot so

The DM needs to start putting some fear of gods into bad players, or just stop inviting bad players over. Seriously, I'm a huge gross nerd so I think table top RPGs are fun, but about 9 out of 10 players are horrible people to be around in any social situation. Asking them to be creative in any way means they'll just copy paste their favorite fantasy protagonist. god I hate them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Chaotic only means "stupid random" to assholes. Chaotic is supposed to mean that personal freedom and liberty are much more important than the laws of man or god. The good part means they're willing to help people for selfless reasons, more often than not.

Chaotic neutral has the reputation it does because some people seem to read that alignment as "whacky fun times insane."

It's perfectly doable to play a noble and heroic lawful evil character. Alignments in D&D only matter in two cases, spells and magic items.

A paladin should be fine traveling with any evil character other than a priest, as normal mortals barely ping the "Detect Evil" radar. All detect evil tells you on a human is, "this guy is probably a selfish douche," with a low degree of accuracy.

The new edition doesn't have alignment restrictions for any of the classes. Paladins now have codes of conduct to attempt to live up to. This is a good change.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this thread is chaotic bad

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BKPR posted:

this thread is chaotic bad

It could be worse:

Palladium uses a system where alignments are described in detailed terms with alignments describing how a character acts in a certain situation; whether they will lie, how much force they will use against innocents, how they view the law, and so on. The alignments are organized into three broad categories: Good, Selfish, and Evil. The seven core alignments are Principled (Good), Scrupulous (Good), Unprincipled (Selfish), Anarchist (Selfish), Aberrant (Evil), Miscreant (Evil), and Diabolic (Evil). An eighth alignment, Taoist, was introduced in Mystic China, but has not seen wide use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

The DM needs to start putting some fear of gods into bad players, or just stop inviting bad players over. Seriously, I'm a huge gross nerd so I think table top RPGs are fun, but about 9 out of 10 players are horrible people to be around in any social situation. Asking them to be creative in any way means they'll just copy paste their favorite fantasy protagonist. god I hate them.

I love tabletop with absolutely no trace of irony, but holy poo poo yes players are the worst. I don't even try to play with people I'm not already good friends with anymore

• Locked thread