Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

I can because I'm under 30 and did almost that with no financial aid or loans. Granted I also worked in the semester, and it was technically jack in the box/Walmart/coffee shop, but who's counting.

lol

Congrats on going to a poo poo school. No real school can be paid for like that. You're never going to make it past lower mid management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor J Off posted:

this, and also a lot of democrats. thomas piketty illustrated the whole thing in that book he wrote last year.

Not so much illustrated as charted, it's a good book but it definitely needs more pictures. Maybe some diagrams, like how to build a guillotine

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Hingehead posted:

$500 monthly check from Disability Social Security Income.

You should be getting around $670.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

School Nickname posted:

Dumb as poo poo laws relating to white collar crime (if a bank is even charged, investors have to pull their assets out forcing a bank run) combined with systemic risk creates a giant moral hazard problem where banks did insane poo poo with impunity and lost a lot of other people's money.
It's those guys who can't afford to pay you a salary.

Since the banks got bailed they can still afford to keep Boehner's jaundice going with Wild Turkey. It's gotten to the point where four banks have federal insurance on $260 trillion of derivatives lmbo.

Steal $100 off someone on the street and gently caress one person over and you'll serve time

Steal $1,000,000,000 and gently caress lots of people over and you are a job creator who might have to switch to a different cushy job

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
if you can't find yourself an earth job, move to space

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BigBoss posted:

lol

Congrats on going to a poo poo school. No real school can be paid for like that. You're never going to make it past lower mid management.

I already have.

Edit:I'm not going to argue or anything, but you're wrong, sorry.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 12, 2014

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Well, here's why the economy is hosed:

1) In capitalistic economies, wealth concentrates at the top over time if there is not sufficient government regulation to prevent this.
2) Realizing the truth that money = power (not just economic, but also political), more money = more power.
3) More power leads to more favorable regulation for those with the power (the rich).
4) More favorable regulation and more power lets people with power gain more money.
5) Increasing inequality diminishes democratic governance.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

blugu64 posted:

I already have.

Ya education is what you make of it. I would think that would be obvious with the degree mills that have pumped out unemployable people,with bachelors degrees for the last twenty years. Plenty of successful people that went to "poo poo" schools.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not so much illustrated as charted, it's a good book but it definitely needs more pictures. Maybe some diagrams, like how to build a guillotine

agreed. I mean the french revolution provided real, long lasting wealth redistribution in ways that the american revolution never could.

(also my browser calls "american" with a lowercase a redlined type, but does not do so with "french", a clear example of the denigration of more equal societies)

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Also, while Americans don't think wealth is distributed fairly, they underestimate how bad it is (bigger blue = bad):

This was ages ago, but it's one of my favorite charts. Checkout that voter breakdown... everyone feels this way - every party, every gender, every wealth group thinks it's bad but not too bad:

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
everyone ran out of money b/c they werent printing enough of it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

GUNS. NOT OUR AMERICA. [unintelligible whirring sound] BOW BEFORE ME.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Luvcow posted:

Maybe greed fueled capitalism, political corruption and investors only focused on short term gains isn't a good way to go about it. :shrug:

Americas new unofficial motto is "gently caress You, Got Mine"

"new"? I think it's written in the margins of the Declaration of Independence

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Evil_Greven posted:

Also, while Americans don't think wealth is distributed fairly, they underestimate how bad it is (bigger blue = bad):

This was ages ago, but it's one of my favorite charts. Checkout that voter breakdown... everyone feels this way - every party, every gender, every wealth group thinks it's bad but not too bad:

:cripes:

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
this just proves its valuable to instill a distrust of government in everyone, and not to pay taxes. Hell I don't

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

I can because I'm under 30 and did almost that with no financial aid or loans. Granted I also worked in the semester, and it was technically jack in the box/Walmart/coffee shop, but who's counting.
I have a feeling you took on a lot more loans than you're hinting at or got a lot of financial help from your parents.

Full time min wage (and you never really get full time) for a whole year (so not just full in summer and part during school year, but 40/week for whole year) is about 15k/year.

Assuming you lived with roommates, had cheap rent, and didn't eat out much you could probably get by on 500/mo for rent/food/utilities which is 6k a year, already a third of your income. If you add pretty reasonable entertainment on to that, you're probably taking home closer to 8k or so annually after living expenses (and this is assuming a pretty bare bones lifestyle), which would be like half tuition/fees for most schools. You could probably squeeze by in your cheapest in state school in the cheapest program in that school I guess if you ignore that the 4 years you spend there will have tuition increase by ~8% a year.

And again this assumes an incredibly unlikely scenario of you actually having a 40/wk min wage job year round thats compatible with a full time student schedule.

Your parents on the other hand could work for the summer and pay off a year of tuition.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

the economy is fine is is just millenials/poors are just too fat from lobster dinners (bought with food stamps) to pull themselves up by their bootstraps

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

sexy young infidel posted:

this just proves its valuable to instill a distrust of government in everyone, and not to pay taxes. Hell I don't

me either, the govt is too corrupt. also on sunday i like goin to churches and taking money out of the collection box (religion is also corrupt)

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
imagine getting a college degree and ending up being arbitraryc... 100% sure i've made this exact same post before, but it really devalues college in my eyes

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
At least stuff is cheap in the states so op can afford to be poor. He could be in a place like England where one place sucks up all the investment, so rent becomes unaffordable and the poors are literally exiled to the barren north. Except they still have to work in the capital because there are no jobs anywhere outside London.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Watch Inside Job.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
*slips u a rare copy of the far side bible* keep it secret... keep it safe

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

I already have.

lol no you didn't. I bet your dad is ashamed of you.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

We get way less welfare than boomers did. Can you imagine if you could actually work at McDonald's for a summer and then pay for college that way? One of the biggest disconnects is the people who are old and well along in their careers don't realize that getting your degrees or credentials and then starting your career is an entirely different game now than it was then. When my mom went to college she worked as a part time bartender and paid all her bills that way, now the only thing part time jobs are good for is spending money because you're not going to make a dent in your 20k/yr tuition, at best you might be able to cover your rent and food without needing loans for that too.

I was lucky because I did a running start program where you took CC classes for free that counted as both highschool and college credits, so I entered my university with a lot of credits already and an established college level GPA (which in turn got me scholarships and financial aid due to my family being poverty line). But even in the years it's been since I graduated high school (07), that program has already been gutted and now while you can still do running start, you have to pay for the community college (which my family would not be able to afford). To me something incredibly scary is that not only does the situation suck for my generation, it's only going to be worse for those coming after.

the issue here isn't what you think, it's that they had a non fiat currency with very low inflation. Also a labor shortage due to low immigration, and women not working.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
fiat currency more like fart currency

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
FHA insured mortgages with minuscule down payments made it way too loving easy to buy a house that you can't actually afford, which pushed prices up and created a huge housing bubble. At the same time, banks were inventing new financial instruments that didn't fall under any existing regulations, including risky derivatives where the underlying entity was these garbage FHA insured mortgages. The banks knew this was a recipe for disaster, but when the poo poo hit the fan they would be bailed out and get to keep all of their profits. Sure enough, when the artificially inflated home prices couldn't go up any further the bubble finally burst, putting millions of homeowners under water and tanking the value of trillions of dollars of these derivatives, taking the economy down with it. In a lovely economy all these under water homeowners started defaulting on their mortgages, which hosed the value of the derivatives even more, leading to people becoming even MORE under water, leading to even MORE defaults, and so on and so forth until the economy completely shat the bed. Once the economy starts making GBS threads the bed, people start consuming less and saving more, especially people whose houses just lost half their value, which fucks the economy even more.

To make sure that it didn't happen again, the FHA increased the minimum down payment and the Dodd-Frank reform outlawed creating derivatives on tax-payer insured assets.

Thanks to democrats you can now get FHA insured mortgages with preposterously low down payments again.
Thanks to republicans the banks can now create derivatives using these government insured mortgages again (republicans snuck the removal of that Dodd-Frank provision into the new spending bill)

The people of this country deserve what they get

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Magnitogorsk. posted:

FHA insured mortgages with minuscule down payments made it way too loving easy to buy a house that you can't actually afford, which pushed prices up and created a huge housing bubble. At the same time, banks were inventing new financial instruments that didn't fall under any existing regulations, including risky derivatives where the underlying entity was these garbage FHA insured mortgages. The banks knew this was a recipe for disaster, but when the poo poo hit the fan they would be bailed out and get to keep all of their profits. Sure enough, when the artificially inflated home prices couldn't go up any further the bubble finally burst, putting millions of homeowners under water and tanking the value of trillions of dollars of these derivatives, taking the economy down with it. In a lovely economy all these under water homeowners started defaulting on their mortgages, which hosed the value of the derivatives even more, leading to people becoming even MORE under water, leading to even MORE defaults, and so on and so forth until the economy completely shat the bed.

To make sure that it didn't happen again, the FHA increased the minimum down payment and the Dodd-Frank reform outlawed creating derivatives on tax-payer insured assets.

Thanks to democrats you can now get FHA insured mortgages with preposterously low down payments again.
Thanks to republicans the banks can now create derivatives using these government insured mortgages again (republicans snuck the removal of that Dodd-Frank provision into the new spending bill)

The people of this country deserve what they get

remember this program started back when clinton was in office and supposedly obama was used as a lawyer at one time to help push this along in court.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
stop listening to goons and listen to people who actually study economics

reason.com
mises.org
cato.org
glennbeck.com

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Jews.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

TOILETLORD posted:

remember this program started back when clinton was in office and supposedly obama was used as a lawyer at one time to help push this along in court.

The FHA started insuring low down payment mortgages during the great depression

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Evil_Greven posted:

Well, here's why the economy is hosed:

1) In capitalistic economies, wealth concentrates at the top over time if there is not sufficient government regulation to prevent this.
2) Realizing the truth that money = power (not just economic, but also political), more money = more power.
3) More power leads to more favorable regulation for those with the power (the rich).
4) More favorable regulation and more power lets people with power gain more money.
5) Increasing inequality diminishes democratic governance.

:agreed:

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
anyway, the only real solution is to learn to live off the land and avoid being forced to participate in capitalism, op.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

we are lesion

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The FHA started insuring low down payment mortgages during the great depression

right but i was referring to the bigger newer program that was for minorities only.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Doctor J Off posted:

this, also because baby boomers thought that all the gifts they got from FDR's policies happened just because they were special, so they got rid of them thinking they were unnecessary

https://mashable.com/2014/11/23/silent-generation-richest/

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Hollywood Video stores, the lynchpins of economic success, were wiped away

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

because of entitlement where bootstraps should be

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
too many jews

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
excessive hidden taxes that tax the working poor. All the taxes that are added to things that have to be paid retailers or manufacturers, that just increases the cost of goods and or services too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Probably has something to do with minorities or immigrants OP. Most men in your position solve this problem by voting straight-ticket GOP and deciding that it's somehow all Obama's fault.

• Locked thread