Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the closest Ive got is a one line mention in Chiltons the 91 style is different. Customer handed me the bits that fell off. Cant fuckin find a single picture of the ranger style, the explorer is different. I need to know where these springs need to go cause I'm just guessing. Spent two hours trying to find a 91 ranger specific picture and came up empty.

Best I got. The spring I clipped to the frame had one end already in there so I rolled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks "right" (as in, as much of an abomination as it was designed to be) to me.

Spring in the frame near the axle is designed to keep the outer cable for one side tucked out the way.

Floating carrier sprung off the frame, takes the outer of cable 1, and the inner of cable 2. Outer of cable 2 to the frame, near where the return spring for the carrier goes, inner of cable 1 to the cab side of things.

Activating brake pulls inner of cable 1, while outer of cable 1 is held in place on the floating carrier, so engages brake 1.

Floating carrier moving forward against spring tension pulls inner of cable 2, while outer of cable 2 held still by frame, so engages brake 2.

The floating carrier balances the amount it holds back the outer of cable 1 with how much it pulls out the inner of cable 2, thus balancing the brakes side to side.

So I think you have it how it's intended to be, question is, does it work?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As long as I pop a shirt button or two and wink suggestively when I say 'yes it sure does' it counts right

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It does for me, sugar.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Give the dude a brick to put under his tire.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Found this after some googling this is a pretty good picture id say you have it right. But you always get it right. ;-*

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If you need a pic of the real thing I can climb under my very own 1991 Ranger and get one for you in the morning.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It left seemingly functioning but I'd like to see it anyways. The above diagram i saw and is one of many that is close, but different to what I saw and wasnt too helpful for me.

Course i also spent almost 5 hours doing rear shoes and those 2 cables because my hands were shaking and i had the mental problem solving ability and temper tantrums of a three year old so it wasnt exactly one of my finer moments.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

It left seemingly functioning but I'd like to see it anyways. The above diagram i saw and is one of many that is close, but different to what I saw and wasnt too helpful for me.

Course i also spent almost 5 hours doing rear shoes and those 2 cables because my hands were shaking and i had the mental problem solving ability and temper tantrums of a three year old so it wasnt exactly one of my finer moments.

I'll get them for you no prob. As far as the hand shaking and temper tantrum throwing, I'm also a tech there are no explanation needed my friend.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No it wasnt due to the car, it was the quitting drinking part that took an ordinary hands behind my back job and turned into the basket case from hell :v:

A tech with a drinking problem. Who ever heard of such a thing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Here's pics with the brake engaged. I honestly never gave a close look to that tangled monstrosity before all the times I've been under the truck. I feel like it's a great idea to keep this picture when one of those cables fails and I've got to deal with the same thing you just did.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
drat it thats the way I had it the first time but the tiny picture in chiltons appeared to route the cable to the left rear through the stupid little bracket and so I did it that way. Hope it doesnt cause some unforseen 'too angled now it kinked always on' failure.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sheesh. Makes me grateful for modern brakes.

Also what's up with that leaf poking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It's a helper leaf I guess. I put the spring packs from a 4x4 on the back so it wouldn't sag when there is a bike or two in the back or if I have a trailer on. When there is weight in the back the sticking out leaf contacts the others.

• Locked thread