Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, it's kind of well known that both Star Wars and Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns were heavily influenced by Kurosawa. Further, both Lucas and Leone drew character archetypes from traditional westerns, though of the two Leone was more focused on refining and critically reevaluating his influences than Lucas. And while spaghetti westerns tend to be vastly superior to the Star Wars trilogy in every respect - from cinematography, through acting and script to music - the Star Wars franchise still has legions of drooling fans despite being an empty, cynical, profit oriented husk for most of its existence, and few people seem to care about spaghetti westerns.

why do u think that is, is it mostly because nerds need to be able to play with dolls to connect with something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.
You're so non-conformist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nah, I'm just annoyed that nobody is making old school westerns anymore.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
settle down, woody

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i checked out halfway through was this about greedo?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

i checked out halfway through was this about greedo?

yea, greedo is a retard bug monster

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

steinrokkan posted:

yea, greedo is a retard bug monster

yah probably the character i identify with most

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

steinrokkan posted:

Most of the western actors are dead. I'm sure when Ewan McGregor and Mark Hamill are dead, they'll stop making star wars.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I'm the westerner drooling at the legion of spaghetti

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Along the same lines, why isn't Kurosawa making films anymore?? I'm going to guess complacency

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Doctor J Off posted:

Along the same lines, why isn't Kurosawa making films anymore?? I'm going to guess complacency

he's making yuri anime now, he knows what sells

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Tuco shot first.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
imo Vader was never Luke's father. Jedi are able to convince people of almost anything just by mental suggestion.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
there's still lot's to be mined from the western genre.

thanks op. gonna go watch Unforgiven again.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

steinrokkan posted:

welcome to my world but action movies.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I freaking love spaghetti it's like one of my top 5 foods.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

whats the best most polished spaghetti western op ive never seen one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

whats the best most polished spaghetti western op ive never seen one

Once Upon a Time in the West is possibly the best film ever made. Also E. Morricone's score of that movie is absolutely flawless, and Claudia Cardinal is hundred times more attractive than Carrie Fisher.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

what the hell is a spaghetti western????

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

what the hell is a spaghetti western????

a film amde by a spic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TOILETLORD posted:

welcome to my world but action movies.

I feel ya, man. Practical effects and steady cameras are dead, and hurting westerns and action flicks equally.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Also E. Morricone's score of that movie is absolutely flawless,

while I find ur unironic star wars based whining unbecoming and shameful, this is true

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
whoa toiletlord thinks mad max is going to suck because its orange :/

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

1gnoirents posted:

whoa toiletlord thinks mad max is going to suck because its orange :/

washing out color to hide bad props cgi and filming techniques is sad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0

This is better than the imperial march you retards.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

django unchained was the best western imo

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

gggiiimmmppp posted:

django unchained was the best western imo

imo the best western is a motel chain

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Westerns were actually the Star Wars of the 50s, every goddamn little kid around had fake guns and a hat and boots and dressed up their minority friends like Indians and beat the poo poo out of them and called them fags.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i dont know what this thread is talking about but if youre making GBS threads on hang em high then we are enemies op

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

They just made A Million Ways to Die In The West. What are you talking about OP?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

natetimm posted:

Westerns were actually the Star Wars of the 50s, every goddamn little kid around had fake guns and a hat and boots and dressed up their minority friends like Indians and beat the poo poo out of them and called them fags.
Spaghetti westerns were way better b/c they subverted the conventions of the 50s westerns and used them as metaphors for the holocaust and european fascism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Star Wars takes place in industrial, "modern" milieu which is more immediately relatable to modern Americans than the old west or god forbid feudal Japan. The Civil War might as well have been a million years ago, but Star Wars is pretty much happening right outside your door.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
once upon a time in the west is pretty much the best movie

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
road house is actually a good version of star wars

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

a film amde by a spic

I think you mean dago.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Smoremaster posted:

once upon a time in the west is pretty much the best movie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

So, it's kind of well known that both Star Wars and Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns were heavily influenced by Kurosawa. Further, both Lucas and Leone drew character archetypes from traditional westerns, though of the two Leone was more focused on refining and critically reevaluating his influences than Lucas. And while spaghetti westerns tend to be vastly superior to the Star Wars trilogy in every respect - from cinematography, through acting and script to music - the Star Wars franchise still has legions of drooling fans despite being an empty, cynical, profit oriented husk for most of its existence, and few people seem to care about spaghetti westerns.

why do u think that is, is it mostly because nerds need to be able to play with dolls to connect with something

because you think to much about dolls

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West is possibly the best film ever made. Also E. Morricone's score of that movie is absolutely flawless, and Claudia Cardinal is hundred times more attractive than Carrie Fisher.

:agreed: on all counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

are there really a bunch of people who don't know what spaghetti westerns are? you goons are messin with me

• Locked thread