Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it the best real life self defence you can take now?

This is pretty much targeted towards people who teach or train in these sort of things. Or is boxing the best one to train in for self defence?

Edit: I've learned some practical knowledge in this thread, and ignored the jealous dweebs posting unfunny jokes. Posting unfunny jokes on the Internet is just basically a huge sign that you have cognitive aids.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
The best way to learn self defense is to get a job painting fences for an alcoholic Japanese-American veteran.

Wait, that's the best way to get molested.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The whole premise of Krav Maga is that you try as hard as you can to permanently and quickly end any confrontation by heavily injuring your opponent. You can't spar with Krav Maga for obvious reasons, so you can't get better, so it's a pointless thing to learn. You'd be better off learning like a real self defence thing.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Learning how to throw a good punch and some basic boxing technique will put you way ahead. Most people can't fight for poo poo, especially the people likely to cause you trouble if you're not going looking for it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
There's a Martial Arts megathread here in Ask/Tell.

A few choice bits from the OP:

quote:

Second:
Knowing how to fight and knowing self defense are not the same thing. They are in fact, often completely opposite goals: fighting is about winning, self defense about surviving.

The number 1 self defense technique is: don't get into bad situations.

You can use martial arts as part of self defense, but only as a part not a whole for example:

You do Muay thai: You can knee a guy in the stomach and run away

You do Bjj: You use your guard to recover from a blindside tackle and run away

Notice how both scenarios don't end with a KO or submission, they end with getting the hell out of there.

This is a nice article on realistic self defense:
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence

quote:

Krav Maga
Real "krav maga" is military combatives much the same as any other military combatives taught to any other army in the world, a short course of "stab him with your bayonet if you have no other options like shooting him"

- What is taught in the US as krav maga has precisely no quality control over what's taught, because anyone can open a gym and call it krav maga

- There is a 99:1 crap:ok ratio and neckdeep bullshit

- What is taught is never tested in competition. Real, full-speed competition is an essential part of becoming competent at fighting, for conditioning against the adrenaline, developing skills of timing etc, and testing effectiveness of techniques. Krav Doesn't Have This. It has fat guys in combat pants doing Jason Bourne cosplay. How do you know how good you are at fighting if you've never had a fight?

- You are taught striking by people who have never trained striking properly as part of a real striking art. Watch some krav videos. It's all stupid bullshit like I've linked, or bad kickboxing. Tip: Skip the bad kickboxing taught by a guy who did a 1-week army combatives course, and do real good kickboxing taught by a guy who has been a real fighter and trains real fighters

- Mostly there's no grappling or it's terrible

- It has a focus on REAL WORLD SELF DEFENCE when the preferred real world self defence technique is not getting in a fight in the first place, and if you do, then having the skills from an actual proper fighting art like boxing, muay thai, etc will serve you much better than trying to chop people in the side of the neck to knock them out

- Almost all the techniques taught (except the bad kickboxing) assume an untrained opponent, and will not work on a trained opponent, ie throat punches, terrible takedowns, eye pokes, groin kicks, etc, whereas in actual fighting sports you learn things that work against other trained people as well as your average guy

quote:

If you are set on learning some sort of fighting for the vanishingly unlikely scenario that you'll actually need to use it for self defence it takes a lot of actual hard work and dedication to become competent, and it's best to cross train a striking and a grappling art. Do BJJ because hugging dudes in pyjamas is really fun.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 13, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
why not get a gun

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

why not get a gun
This.

If you want to defend yourself get a gun and a decent pair of running shoes. If you want to fight competitively or just for sport pick whichever sport appeals to you or is popular in your town. If you want to fight people in the street, don't. Because that's a good way to get stabbed or shot and probably end up in jail in the process.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Relax, OP's just a nerd who is gamifying his life. He wants to up his DEX and STR in case A Wild Robber Appears!

The problem is that his WIS is just too low.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Come hang out in a martial arts thread or get your Jiu Jitsu on. Winning a fight is all about not getting into one at all costs. If you do, it will be a few quick shots then done.

What's your goal? Is someone mean mugging you? Because Jesus Christ do everything you can to avoid a fight.

As someone who has done combat sports for fun you quickly learn that you ain't poo poo and most people could kill you.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys. The main reason is that I'm going to be put in a situation in the next year or less where I'm going to have to take two guys on. I've done jitsu for about two years, so I have a basic grasp of the strike points on the body etc.
The thing is, I still don't feel that I'll be able to defend myself sufficiently, and flight won't be a option (wish it was tbh).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This is bizarre. Tell us more.

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

Captain Log posted:

This is bizarre. Tell us more.

It's a pre-planned gang rape

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

osietra posted:

Thanks guys. The main reason is that I'm going to be put in a situation in the next year or less where I'm going to have to take two guys on. I've done jitsu for about two years, so I have a basic grasp of the strike points on the body etc.
The thing is, I still don't feel that I'll be able to defend myself sufficiently, and flight won't be a option (wish it was tbh).

tell us more about living in a lovely revenge movie op

if you're getting bullied then tell an adult, or if you are an adult then grow the gently caress up and cut out the batman fantasies

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

osietra posted:

Can mods please rename this thread to 'Ask me about my beef with two dudes' or something?

Also don't fight those men.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Bribe someone close to them to constantly offer them donuts and soft drinks. Laugh as a year of crap food has turned them into blubber on your day of reckoning.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

osietra posted:

I'm pretty sure that you're making it all up, but just in case you're not, no matter what martial art you do two dudes at once will 100% smash your face in unless they have severe mental or physical disabilities. You should start a campaign of disinformation, feeding them lies about your skills through their associates until they believe you killed four guys at once with your bare hands. This is your only chance. Good luck.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

osietra posted:

I had a tough time in Jr high too. You'll be okay.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This.

If you want to defend yourself get a gun and a decent pair of running shoes. If you want to fight competitively or just for sport pick whichever sport appeals to you or is popular in your town. If you want to fight people in the street, don't. Because that's a good way to get stabbed or shot and probably end up in jail in the process.

Not everyone lives in a country where private firearms ownership is legal, and even those who do might not want their primary means of self defense to be something as lethal as a firearm.

Edit: But given that the OP seems to think he's going to be in an unavoidable fight against two guys in a year's time, I'm not sure I care if he gets good advice or not. Because that is dumb.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Your warrior spirit is admirable, but the jewish dick-kicking martial art will not help you.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I was going to post about my experiences with krav maga but well, not really seeing the point here.

OP, nothing will help you.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeA__6aVkK0

Keg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 13, 2014

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I actually got to whatever the 2nd or 3rd level of Krav Magician is. Practitioner 2 I think it's called? I learned precisely 3 useful things from it, which I will now pass on to you.

1) If a suspicious person asks you for the time, bring your watch up to your eyes, don't look down at your watch. This way you have a hand defending your face AND will be looking at them should they try anything funny.

2) If you think a situation is about to get violent, start moving to the right and away from your possible attacker.

3) If you're in a headlock, hitting a dude in the nuts hurts worse with an open hand than a fist and if you turn your head so you're facing their stomach it won't affect your breathing.

And that's it. The rest is dumb theorycraft bullshit that will get you killed A.S.A.P should you try it.

They want you to deflect baseball bats with your forearms, take on knife toting maniacs by turning their own knife onto them and gouge out eyes using slick ninja moves should anyone hassle you. They want you to learn this motley array of violent wizardry by LARPing out STREET SCENARIOS in 1/3 time against fat security guards, nerds who're bitter about having been mugged and dumpy housefraus who fear rape. The whole time the instructor dude got pissed because I didn't take it seriously enough and kept trying to get people with pro wrestling maneouvres. The day I got a guy with the Crippler Crossface was the day I had apparently Crossed The Line and was banned from the classes. He was a retired soldier he claimed but he looked like an accountant. They made everyone get up in this really retarded way where you grab your own knee with both hands, it was supposedly MUCH MORE TACTICAL or something? He kept trying to make us buy LARP weapons so now my friend has a wooden pistol and a rubber knife and a tonfa stick that weighs about half a gram. poo poo is ridiculous. Don't fight anyone ever. Especially not with Jew Jitsu.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

1) If a suspicious person asks you for the time, bring your watch up to your eyes, don't look down at your watch. This way you have a hand defending your face AND will be looking at them should they try anything funny.

I'm sorry good sir, but the chain on my pocketwatch won't allow it to reach the level of my eyes!
:goonsay:

Also, odds these days are that you're carrying a phone and not wearing a watch.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress me that's brilliant.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

2) If you think a situation is about to get violent, start moving to the right and away from your possible attacker.

Why the right?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm guessing since most people are right handed its to keep their favored side/fist for a starter/opener far away from you.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's meant to be a dead zone, the physical middle-ground which is bad for you. Either far back or close in and attacking.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

osietra posted:

There's meant to be a dead zone, the physical middle-ground which is bad for you. Either far back or close in and attacking.

Nobody gives a poo poo about anything other than why you must do a kumite battle against 2 opponents and what you mean when you say you do "jitsu"

Keg fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I'm guessing since most people are right handed its to keep their favored side/fist for a starter/opener far away from you.
What if they're left-handed?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

osietra posted:

You need to be real close, like really close. Inside them. If you're inside one of them, you can use him to defeat the other. It'll help to even the odds. Or far away. Far away's probably more practical.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

de la peche posted:

You need to be real close, like really close. Inside them. If you're inside one of them, you can use him to defeat the other. It'll help to even the odds. Or far away. Far away's probably more practical.

But far less fun.

Which martial arts specialty will put me inside as many dudes as possible in the shortest amount of time? I'm not looking for a lot of bookwork or theory here.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

The Ferret King posted:

But far less fun.

Which martial arts specialty will put me inside as many dudes as possible in the shortest am
ount of time? I'm not looking for a lot of bookwork or theory here.

My guess would be Greco Roman wrestling. But go full Greek.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Croccers posted:

What if they're left-handed?

Theres a million what ifs, you can't prepare for them all.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just shoot the fuckers.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

But far less fun.

Which martial arts specialty will put me inside as many dudes as possible in the shortest amount of time? I'm not looking for a lot of bookwork or theory here.

Some of that turkish oil wrestling probably has a high incidence of ending up inside a man, due to the lack of friction caused by the oil. I wouldn't bother with bookwork either, and the OP doesn't have much time for studying or training. I suggest just buying a fuckton of oil, and maybe carrying a large bottle AT ALL TIMES. Try to work from behind the other fellow in order to minimise the amount of strikes you have to take as you attempt this. Maybe visit https://www.matbattle.com for expert fighting tips.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

3) If you're in a headlock, hitting a dude in the nuts hurts worse with an open hand than a fist and if you turn your head so you're facing their stomach it won't affect your breathing.

No way am I falling for this. You just want me to touch his nuts with an open hand so you can call me a big gay nut toucher. Fist everytime.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

spud posted:

No way am I falling for this. You just want me to touch his nuts with an open hand so you can call me a big gay nut toucher. Fist everytime.

So you're telling us you're into fisting?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When you feel threatened tell the possible assailant you are going to come at them like Cosby in an undone bath robe and they will do nothing for at least a good twenty years or so.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

spud posted:

You'll never make P2 in Krav Magay at this right, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Cool. So basically the only proper way to learn Krav Maga is to do full contact lessons. The rhino move seems pretty effective too!

A lot of people leave after the first session. I guess a lot of its actually about conditioning the brain to deal with violent conflict. Sort of like the soldiers and chefs theory.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread