Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
We all know what a Tourist Trap is. It's a piece of pop culture the world's passed by but still somehow exists and draws visitors. Often hilariously tacky ,sometimes racist, most of them have a certain, quaint charm.

South of the Border!

The Boll Weevil Monument!

Professor Cline's Dinosaur Kingdom!

quote:

“(V)isitors are asked to imagine themselves in 1863. A family of Virginia paleontologists has accidentally dug a mine shaft into a hidden valley of living dinosaurs. Unfortunately, the Union Army has tagged along, hoping to kidnap the big lizards and use them as ‘weapons of mass destruction’ against the South. What you see along the path of Dinosaur Kingdom is a series of tableaus depicting the aftermath of this ill-advised military strategy. As you enter, a lunging, bellowing T-Rex head lets you know that the dinosaurs are mad — and they only get madder. A big snake has eaten one Yankee, and is about to eat another. An Allosaurus grabs a bluecoat off of his rearing horse while a second soldier futilely tries to lasso the big lizard. Another Yankee crawls up a tree with a stolen egg while the mom dinosaur batters it down.”

Mammy's Cupboard!

Mighty Og!

Bedrock City!

I think tourist traps are a uniquely American/Canadian thing, Neil Gaiman once wrote...

quote:

"It's perfectly simple," said Wednesday. "In other countries, over the years, people recognized the places of power. Sometimes it would be a natural formation, sometimes it would just be a place that was, somehow, special. They knew that something important was happening there, that there was some focusing point, some channel, some window to the Immanent. And so they would build temples or cathedrals, or erect stone circles, or…well, you get the idea."

"There are churches all across the States, though," said Shadow.

"In every town. Sometimes on every block. And about as significant, in this context, as dentists' offices. No, in the USA, people still get the call, or some of them, and they feel themselves being called to from the transcendent void, and they respond to it by building a model out of beer bottles of somewhere they've never visited, or by erecting a gigantic bat house in some part of the country that bats have traditionally declined to visit. Roadside attractions: people feel themselves being pulled to places where, in other parts of the world, they would recognize that part of themselves that is truly transcendent, and buy a hot dog and walk around, feeling satisfied on a level they cannot truly describe, and profoundly dissatisfied on a level beneath that."

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've only ever passed South of the Border (which if you don't know is on the border between NC and SC), and the signs leading up to it are so racist sometimes that I can't believe it's still running in 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The big Goldpanner from my hometown of Bathurst, Australia. This is near the western end of town and there's always a few people taking a photo with it. He gets painted a few times a year, usually once at christmas so he looks like a santa ( :3: ) and then once or twice during the rest of the year, so he always looks in good knick.

Comedy option:

Lieberhaeschen
Jan 15, 2008
Little by little the terriers make us free!
The fishing museum in Hayward, Wisconsin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Went on a roadtrip with my family once, Carhenge definitely fits the bill.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
South Dakota loves tourist traps.
----

WALL DRUG
Wall, South Dakota

It's basically the grandaddy of all tourist traps (in operation since 1931). It has gone from just one drug store tempting travelers with "Free Ice Water" to an emporium of crap.

It's huge rear end tourist trap that's essentially a mall of cheap food, outdated pop culture memorabilia, old-timey photo booths, leather and rhinestone accessories, plus a bunch of cheesy oddities like weird animatronics and stuffed jackalopes.

The only reason it got so popular is because it was so good at self-promoting. There are billboards for it literally all over the world (this picture is from a sign in Antarctica). The most effective use of the billboards is on I-90 west, where travelers go to reach Mt. Rushmore. These billboards are absolutely impossible to ignore, and there's so little else to stop at on the way, Wall Drug is a basically inevitable stop.

----

THE CORN PALACE
Mitchell, South Dakota

Even if you're impressed by the decorations on the outside, don't expect anything fun to do. What's on the inside is just a faded old basketball court and a gift shop.

----

1880s COWBOY TOWN
Buffalo Ridge, South Dakota

There's actually an 1880s Town in Murdo, SD as well, but it's just meant to be a run of the mill "educational" site with historical reenactors, etc. This one, built in the 1960s is truly craptastic. It's a bunch of old buildings filled with wonky animatronics. It's like a ghost town populated by just robots.

Here's what it's like to walk through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-t7HFHrJ_o

(A review of this stellar attraction is here.)

angelfisher has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Dec 14, 2014

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Anyone traveling to Cocoa Beach on SR 50 will pass through a little town called Christmas, Florida, famous for its year-round Christmas decorations in that one spot near the post office.

They also boast to have the "world's largest gator," Swampy, a roadside attraction and entrance to Jungle Adventures animal park.

The rest of the town is pretty much just trailer parks and meth labs, perhaps a little more festive than typical.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

angelfisher posted:

----

WALL DRUG
Wall, South Dakota

It's basically the grandaddy of all tourist traps (in operation since 1931). It has gone from just one drug store tempting travelers with "Free Ice Water" to an emporium of crap.

It's huge rear end tourist trap that's essentially a mall of cheap food, outdated pop culture memorabilia, old-timey photo booths, leather and rhinestone accessories, plus a bunch of cheesy oddities like weird animatronics and stuffed jackalopes.

The only reason it got so popular is because it was so good at self-promoting. There are billboards for it literally all over the world (this picture is from a sign in Antarctica). The most effective use of the billboards is on I-90 west, where travelers go to reach Mt. Rushmore. These billboards are absolutely impossible to ignore, and there's so little else to stop at on the way, Wall Drug is a basically inevitable stop.

----

THE CORN PALACE
Mitchell, South Dakota

Even if you're impressed by the decorations on the outside, don't expect anything fun to do. What's on the inside is just a faded old basketball court and a gift shop.

----

1880s COWBOY TOWN

There's actually an 1880s Town in Murdo, SD as well, but it's just meant to be a run of the mill "educational" site with historical reenactors, etc. This one, built in the 1960s is truly craptastic. It's a bunch of old buildings filled with wonky animatronics. It's like a ghost town populated by just robots.

Here's what it's like to walk through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-t7HFHrJ_o

My grandparents dragged me to all of these places when I was around 10. I distinctly remember all of these places sucked balls. I also remember that Cowboy town being ungodly hot and miserable. Thanks for bringing back bad memories to me.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ron Jon's Surf Shop, Cocoa Beach, FL

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Dec 14, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gaunab posted:

I've only ever passed South of the Border (which if you don't know is on the border between NC and SC), and the signs leading up to it are so racist sometimes that I can't believe it's still running in 2014

Something racist exists on the border of the Carolinas in TYOOL 2014?

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.
I-10 The Thing Arizona. Sorry no pictures at the moment.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

"SEE 7 STATES FROM BEAUTIFUL LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN & SEE ROCK CITY AND THE RUBY FALLS" painted on barns all over the south. Lookout Mountain is a hill in southern Tennessee that alleges you can see 7 states, but all you really see is trees.

A town in rural southern Indiana that wanted to be named "Santa Fe" but was told by the US Post Office it was taken. So when asked for a new name they went with the smart rear end response of "Santa Claus" which was accepted. A local tycoon took his kids to Santa Claus and saw it was some tiny town of around 20 people and decided to build a large Christmas-themed village there, which eventually turned into Holiday World, the world's first Theme Park. The town isn't a trap, really. It's more of a theme park with a Christmas themed suburb attached, but whatever.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This'll serve as a memorial for the Byron Peach in Georgia.

Also known as the Giant Butt of Byron.

In the middle of the countryside where Georgia grew all the peaches it got its nickname from, it was built to attract thru traffic into a number of kitschy antique shops and overpriced dried fruit candy and nut stores. Plus maybe the Cracker Barrel. Having family in south Georgia as a kid, my family made many trips a year from Atlanta to visit and this dumb thing served as the "halfway-there" marker. We never stopped there once, not even just to refuel or grab some fast food.

In 2011 it blew down in a windstorm and was never rebuilt.

They still have the Byron Peach Watertower, though!

Being a part of the city infrastructure, it actually gets maintained and probably won't fall over on its own.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Solvang, CA is puddle of Dutch in the middle of the desert. Look forward to famously Dutch pastimes such as sitting in a giant shoe and feeding ostriches.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

littleorv posted:

My grandparents dragged me to all of these places when I was around 10. I distinctly remember all of these places sucked balls. I also remember that Cowboy town being ungodly hot and miserable. Thanks for bringing back bad memories to me.
I am very sorry.

quote:

Having family in south Georgia as a kid, my family made many trips a year from Atlanta to visit and this dumb thing served as the "halfway-there" marker. We never stopped there once, not even just to refuel or grab some fast food.
This reminds me of a tourist trap in Minnesota:

The Jolly Green Giant in Blue Earth, Minnesota. That's all it is, plus a gift shop. Apparently there was a canning factory there that supplied Green Giant, and visitors would receive cans of Green Giant vegetables. They were losing out on visitors, and then they realized I-90 passed Blue Earth. They thought a massive Green Giant statue might lure more visitors. The canning factory's closed now but the Green Giant remains.

My family used to stop there all the time on the way up to the Twin Cities.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Yo, imma blob posted:

Solvang, CA is puddle of Dutch in the middle of the desert. Look forward to famously Dutch pastimes such as sitting in a giant shoe and feeding ostriches.

Reminds me of Helen, GA a town in the north georgia mountains remade to look like a traditional swiss village:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Peanut President posted:

Reminds me of Helen, GA a town in the north georgia mountains remade to look like a traditional swiss village:

I've heard Helen's been doing pretty badly the last few years and not getting many visitors, shame though, I haven't been since like 2001.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This sort of crosses the line between Tourist Trap and beloved local landmark:

Enchanted Forest

In the late 60's a watchmaker in Portland Oregon decided he was going to build an amusement park. Despite the fact that all he had was some child labor and no practical skills relating to Amusement Park construction or administration he bought a bunch of land near the highway and got to work. Over the course of several decades he built a small castle, a western town, some roller coasters, a massive fairy tale village, a theater for plays, a musical "dwarf cavern" and other crazy poo poo. Most of the figures were sculpted by hand from concrete, various members of his family did everything from write the plays performed on the stage to compose the music played in the park.

It's a bizarre combination outsider art and carny amusements. Also a really great place to be high as balls.

Here is a good collection of photos:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45057

And a pretty OK documentary someone made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFSELCVT30

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yo, imma blob posted:

Solvang ain't Dutch.

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

MightyJoe36 posted:

Ron Jon's Surf Shop, Cocoa Beach, FL

It should be noted that even under tropical storm conditions, Florida has no waves to surf.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This sort of crosses the line between Tourist Trap and beloved local landmark:

Enchanted Forest

In the late 60's a watchmaker in Portland Oregon decided he was going to build an amusement park. Despite the fact that all he had was some child labor and no practical skills relating to Amusement Park construction or administration he bought a bunch of land near the highway and got to work. Over the course of several decades he built a small castle, a western town, some roller coasters, a massive fairy tale village, a theater for plays, a musical "dwarf cavern" and other crazy poo poo. Most of the figures were sculpted by hand from concrete, various members of his family did everything from write the plays performed on the stage to compose the music played in the park.

It's a bizarre combination outsider art and carny amusements. Also a really great place to be high as balls.

When I was a little kid we'd visit family that lived in Portland every year and usually make a trip out to this place (also OMSI :science:). I don't have too many memories of it anymore, but I do know I always had a bit of fun there. I also remember passing that Thrill-Ville USA park and it looked terrifyingly run-down even in 1988.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

angelfisher posted:

---

1880s COWBOY TOWN

So yesterday i got 90E and 90W mixed up as to which i wanted to get back into town (I never take 90, except to go to that head shop in Luvurne) and no lie nearly went there just to see what the gently caress was up with the billboards. Until we passed it (It's visible from 90) and it just looked like the seediest, most run down strip of buildings ever.

I still stopped. Buffalo jerky is all over on 90 since there's so many tourists, but its so drat good. And i needed to get off at the hartford exit to make the u-turn anyway...it is terrible.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Che Delilas posted:

When I was a little kid we'd visit family that lived in Portland every year and usually make a trip out to this place (also OMSI :science:). I don't have too many memories of it anymore, but I do know I always had a bit of fun there. I also remember passing that Thrill-Ville USA park and it looked terrifyingly run-down even in 1988.

Thrill-Ville is gone now but it was a strange beast. Basically they bought up well regarded amusements from boardwalks and parks that went under for cheap. It was carny as all hell but people used to make pilgrim like voyages there because they would have some ride they remembered from being a kid on the Santa Monica pier in 1974 for one summer. Also I think they used to repair damaged rides in return for getting to use them in the off season so tons of creepy county fair poo poo was always half assembled in their back lot. It was owned by a family of local RV Park slumlordy people and after they lost their various battles trying to avoid paying taxes, rezoning land or paying meaningful insurance it transformed back into the RV park from whence it came.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think I've seen some of these tourist traps in Sam & Max hit the road.

Here is one from where I live

It's a little bit less disappointing when they dress it with ridiculous costumes and make him piss beer though.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Dec 15, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TREES

OF

MYSTERY

Home to such mysterious trees as this one:

And this one:

But perhaps most famous for the giant statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

Basically someone took a chunk of Northern California redwood forest, came up with names for all the normal variations of tree growth you get within a redwood forest, and charged an entrance fee.

Bip Roberts posted:

Solvang ain't Dutch.
It's also like 100 miles from any desert.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Got me thinking about all the time I used to spend on RoadsideAmerica.com, about the place where you can drive through the middle of a tree:

Which of course got me thinking about this:

But this would have to be the best......

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

This loving place - M&Ms World in Leicester Square, London.

People travel around the world to come to one of the best-known cities in the world, rich in culture and history, and they go to this place and buy loving sweeties alongside twenty thousand other tourists.

Nothing screams 'I'm a dozy pillock' like these yellow bags.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
These all look like shitholes, what the hell USA, do you not have anything better to do?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

These all look like shitholes, what the hell USA, do you not have anything better to do?

Not when you're on the highway.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Medieval Medic posted:

Many of them date from a time where America was a place the size of Europe with vastly more open space. Families had begun to spread out across the country post WWII when we had used devious socialism to send huge amounts of soldiers to college and trade school for free and the car had become affordable and available to the average person. What this created was the golden age of the American highway, where entire families would load up into station wagons and drive thousands of miles across empty deserts, forests and back country in order to visit grandparents for holidays. You'd have a scenario where people would have just driven the length of modern England through empty expanses of nothingness and if you knew where to hitch your post you were basically guaranteed business from people who were bored out of their loving minds. Wall Drug for instance is (well, was) positioned at basically the only place you could sell cold drinks, food and a bathroom at the edge of a massive hot as gently caress desert. America is also loving huge and was way more culturally segregated in those days, so even though you were just a podunk town being visited by small town people from a podunk town hundreds of miles away that was identical to yours you had to dress it up and loving SELL your town as something mysterious or fantastical to these people otherwise they would just keep on trucking to the next spot with a funny name.

And there wasn't a thousand years of history to build on either, these were places where people had rarely ever lived, so you had working class people who were tasked with building a thing, any thing, that they could dream up to make people stop and spend a little change. Thats how you get poo poo like a statue of babe the blue ox and various worlds largest "thing our town has a lot of".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I request help from Mexican Goons. Do we have tourist traps in Mexico? Do we meven have them? Or has a foreign goon stumbled with one during their trips to Mexico?

I don't think archeological sites,and historical ones from the colonial times, count. But I'm sure Baja California and Cancun might have some.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Honestly the whole town should be included, but in particular I thought the biggest tourist trap I've ever been to was the Roswell UFO Museum.

I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming, but going there was just...weird. The guy at the front desk looked exactly how you'd imagine a UFO enthusiast to look, and you get these cheap little walkman "guided tour" things. Some of the stuff was kind of interesting to look at, but the vast majority is "scientists said (boring but realistic explanation of an event), BUT WHAT IF IT WAS ALIENS!!!" type stuff. The whole town in general is so desolate and apparently only funded by the sale of green alien tshirts and stickers, considering there is pretty much nothing but places to buy those.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Dec 15, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Chrpno posted:

Got me thinking about all the time I used to spend on RoadsideAmerica.com, about the place where you can drive through the middle of a tree:

Which of course got me thinking about this:

But this would have to be the best......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tcw326PJuDw

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Peanut President posted:

"SEE 7 STATES FROM BEAUTIFUL LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN & SEE ROCK CITY AND THE RUBY FALLS" painted on barns all over the south. Lookout Mountain is a hill in southern Tennessee that alleges you can see 7 states, but all you really see is trees.

poo poo yes. I'm currently in a car with friends headed from Bowling Green to Atlanta. We're right outside Chattanooga right now I think, on 24E. Apparently we're supposed to see Rock City/Ruby Falls, without question.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This is another Georgia classic, the Big Chicken.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Many of them date from a time where America was a place the size of Europe with vastly more open space. Families had begun to spread out across the country post WWII when we had used devious socialism to send huge amounts of soldiers to college and trade school for free and the car had become affordable and available to the average person. What this created was the golden age of the American highway, where entire families would load up into station wagons and drive thousands of miles across empty deserts, forests and back country in order to visit grandparents for holidays. You'd have a scenario where people would have just driven the length of modern England through empty expanses of nothingness and if you knew where to hitch your post you were basically guaranteed business from people who were bored out of their loving minds. Wall Drug for instance is (well, was) positioned at basically the only place you could sell cold drinks, food and a bathroom at the edge of a massive hot as gently caress desert. America is also loving huge and was way more culturally segregated in those days, so even though you were just a podunk town being visited by small town people from a podunk town hundreds of miles away that was identical to yours you had to dress it up and loving SELL your town as something mysterious or fantastical to these people otherwise they would just keep on trucking to the next spot with a funny name.

And there wasn't a thousand years of history to build on either, these were places where people had rarely ever lived, so you had working class people who were tasked with building a thing, any thing, that they could dream up to make people stop and spend a little change. Thats how you get poo poo like a statue of babe the blue ox and various worlds largest "thing our town has a lot of".

It's worth reiterating just how goddamn huge the United States is. For a European reference, Lisbon and Moscow are closer together than New York and San Francisco.

Basically, the US has the exact opposite relation between history and distance that Europe has. In London (or Paris, or Prague, or whatever), 100 miles is on the other side of the world and a century ago was yesterday, but in the US, 1914 was ancient history and a lot of people drive 100 miles to work every single day.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Nckdictator posted:

Bedrock City!

I visited that place as a kid on the way to Mt Rushmore. The thing that sticks out the most in my mind is how angry everyone working there was.

There was a guy in a Fred Flinstone costume walking around that came over to take a picture of us. My dad asked him to say Yabba-Dabba-Do and he said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

whatshesaid posted:

poo poo yes. I'm currently in a car with friends headed from Bowling Green to Atlanta. We're right outside Chattanooga right now I think, on 24E. Apparently we're supposed to see Rock City/Ruby Falls, without question.

Chattanooga goon here. You'd not be missing much by skipping it. Ruby Falls is just a fake waterfall at the end of a boring cave. You're not even going anywhere near the original cave and the waterfall is driven by a pump. Rock City can barely be called better. It's kinda depressing and gross. Do yourself a favor and skip that poo poo. If you want to see the geography, hit up Cloudland Canyon state park about 25 minutes or so away. Better yet see the Tennessee Aquarium instead. Decent saltwater and an exceptional freshwater sections. Plus you'll get a better idea of the town. It's a very pretty city

• Locked thread