Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I am flying back to the USA and have an overnight (about 24 hour) layover in Chicago on New Year's Eve. Naturally I bought tickets to Andew WK at Thalia Hall on W. 18th street. I haven't been to Chicago in a long time, much less on New Years Eve - rooms at the airport hilton are super cheap that evening, but will it even be possible for me to get back to the airport when the show let's out around 1am? Do they keep the trains running?

If I can't get back to the airport, what's a decent place to stay near Thalia hall? Also any Chigoons want to PARTY HARD w/me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Hi! I'm from Chicago...not too familiar with that neighborhood but here are a few thoughts;

Yes, it will be possible to get back to the airport but would be a hassle. The blue line (which runs to O'Hare) runs all night but you're not super close to it so you'd need to take a short taxi/uber ride ($10 or so I bet) to the nearest blue line stop. Taxi/Uber all the way to the airport would be pretty expensive ($50 or so I bet, especially more if Uber jacks up prices after midnight.)

Your best bet for a hotel is to either check out the Marriott at Medical DIstrict/UIC or somewhere in the South Loop area. Sadly I bet these may be jacked up with NYE prices but that's the closest hotel-heavy area I can think of.

Unfortunately it seems like Thalia Hall isn't a great location for public transit or being able to walk to anything. I don't think it's in a terrible neighborhood but it's not the nicest either so you won't want to be walking around there too much by yourself drunk at 1AM. Best bet will be to try to take a cab afterwards and maybe one to get there as well. Google Maps is your friend for public transit directions if you want to use that to and/or from the show.

I really really REALLY wanted to go to this but we live pretty far away on the North Side and have another party within walking distance that we've gone to and loved for the past couple of years. Andrew WK would be disappointed in me for not joining his party but I'll be partying somewhere at least! Hope you enjoy the show and let me know if you have any other Q's about Chicago, need other recommendations, etc.

(One last note - check out the CTA's website as if you do choose public transit at all that night, it may be free or cost just a penny, so see if you can figure that out before loading up a transit card)

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Getting a cab/uber on NYE is going to be tough, but possible if you're patient. Uber will probably have crazy surge pricing like they did last year.

They do keep the trains running later than usual and it's basically free that night (last year it was 10 PM to 4 AM). The Blue Line runs 24 hours anyway. Most major bus lines (like Roosevelt) will be running adjusted hours that night. You could also transfer to a pink line and the 18th st/Paulina station is about a 10 minute walk to Thalia. In addition to the areas clevername suggested, you could also see if there's anything good in the Loop? If you're going to come down this far anyway, and/or take an additional bus or train- most originate or have stops in the Loop.

I've never had any trouble walking around Pilsen, but I wouldn't go too far west of Ashland at night.

• Locked thread