Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remora
Aug 15, 2010

CS:GO can be purchased outright for <30 sacks of gems. The high bid is 83,000 gems.

People are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It might get less stupid in subsequent rounds if we get a stable gem price so people can see exactly how much they're actually bidding.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
drat this is like Zimbabwe or the Beanie Baby craze.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I miss when the sale gimmick involved doing certain things / getting certain achievements in games. :smith:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Remora posted:

CS:GO can be purchased outright for <30 sacks of gems. The high bid is 83,000 gems.

People are loving stupid.

The high bid on the holiday profile is 233,600 gems, so 234 sacks @0.37 = 86.58

£86.58 for a profile that will disappear in a few weeks.

Yeah people are loving stupid.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Helith posted:

Nah, those gems are long gone. They went poof and you got refunded. The only gems left are the ones that you make from backgrounds, emotes and cards. So if you snapped up the surplus of those yesterday you were paying 0.03 per 100 (or 80) gems. Now those backgrounds / emotes are more like 0.05/6 as the whales burn through them all.

Ahhh forgot about that. Screw it then. I played things about as well as I could have the first night barring getting even more buy orders in. I'd feel bad if I had been able to hold onto 3 cent sacks of magic beans and sell them now, but if they would have disappeared anyway then I'm glad I converted to boosters and sold.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Helith posted:

The high bid on the holiday profile is 233,600 gems, so 234 sacks @0.37 = 86.58

£86.58 for a profile that will disappear in a few weeks.

Yeah people are loving stupid.

I can almost understand that one. You're bidding to say you were there/you did it. It's an experience.

But bidding more gems on CS:Go, a game that will assuredly be even cheaper after the sale is over (50% off at least) is complete lunacy. Like, Dutch Tulip Lunacy.

Currently (after a half-hour) gems are holding at 17 per 1¢, so you can decide how much a game is worth to you and bid accordingly. :d:1700 = $1; fortunately, the stuff I want only has like 126 bids, so my current :d:10 placeholders may actually stand.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Everblight posted:

I can almost understand that one. You're bidding to say you were there/you did it. It's an experience.

But bidding more gems on CS:Go, a game that will assuredly be even cheaper after the sale is over (50% off at least) is complete lunacy. Like, Dutch Tulip Lunacy.

Currently (after a half-hour) gems are holding at 17 per 1¢, so you can decide how much a game is worth to you and bid accordingly. :d:1700 = $1; fortunately, the stuff I want only has like 126 bids, so my current :d:10 placeholders may actually stand.

I unloaded my gems for a bit less (.55 cents) just because I'm in the top ten with one of the things I really want and around 20-30 in some other games with a hundred or so gems. I highly doubt that gems will go past .60 cents, so basically I can only get more from here on out. But if it is enough, who knows. If there is one thing I've learned, people on Steam are loving insane.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bad Rats watch: now up to 7,100 gems and counting

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crunching the numbers, you need 80 gem items to cost 5¢ to come out ahead (17¢/:d: comes out to 85). There's surprisingly few arbitrage opportunities on Steam, even with them obfuscating the gem-value of things.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I've put my backgrounds up for ridiculously inflated prices (.20 for Γ100 backgrounds, .16 for Γ80) just to see what happens. I doubt that they'll sell at all but seeing how broken things are at the moment...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CuddlyZombie posted:

I miss when the sale gimmick involved doing certain things / getting certain achievements in games. :smith:
That will never happen again thanks to Steam Achievement Manager and similar ways to cheese it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The prices are flactuating because people don't know what price to set the bots at yet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Are we gonna use Γ or :d:?

EDIT: Spitballing: A bidding war between two people is actually really beneficial. Say Alice and Bob are bidding on Bad Rats. They'll go back and forth, A5000, B6000, A7000, B7600. This doesn't change the fact that Charlie's bid of 2000 is still the #3 bid, so 90 minutes after Alice and Bob win, Charlie still gets his game for 2000, AND the value of gems is inflated in general, as Alice and Bob together have removed 14,600 gems from circulation. Really that's the story here, Steam is intentionally deflating all values across the board, and it's working great.

As long as you can wait like a grown-up to get your game 22nd instead of 1st, you can get some screamin' deals. You may need to do a little strategic sniping before auctions end, but it should be pretty simple if you're bidding on stuff with only a few hundred bidders, and honestly even 1000 gems a game is still less than a dollar.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 14, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Everblight posted:

Are we gonna use Γ or :d:?
Ahh, didn't see that.

:d: looks easier for us to type and is easier to associate to be honest.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I am liking this gimmick the most so far. It mixes the comedy of watching steam users go insane for temporary profiles or overpaying on AAA titles with delightful posts about economics and the value of a currency, which is strangely awesome to read about. I will probably get 2-3 games for the card scraps I sold months ago. And its pushing up the value of the cards I do have, plus russian duping never ceases to make me laugh.

Someone should make an indie game based on this insane steambux market. This poo poo is more interactive than simcity.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I am liking this gimmick the most so far. It mixes the comedy of watching steam users go insane for temporary profiles or overpaying on AAA titles with delightful posts about economics and the value of a currency, which is strangely awesome to read about. I will probably get 2-3 games for the card scraps I sold months ago. And its pushing up the value of the cards I do have, plus russian duping never ceases to make me laugh.

Someone should make an indie game based on this insane steambux market. This poo poo is more interactive than simcity.

OOTP is basically this, but I'd love a Wall Street Kid remake, or better yet some kind of MMO.

There is http://hsx.com which is basically "the Steam winter game bullshit" but for movies.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
This reminds me of a fun social experiment! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_auction
There are probably hidden rewards for people who participate in the steam version of this, but I doubt that people with leftover gems will be able to convert them into anything of value after the event ends. I love this madness.
I'd like to believe there are troll bids going on, too that push impatient people who actually wanted the prize to then counter-bid in small increments.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sacks of gems are nearing a dollar :eyepop:

YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This changes the math on arbitrage opportunities. As gems near 0.1¢ each, your 5-7¢ :d:80 icons are going to make more sense.

As long as nobody tells Gaben about the utterly hilarious scam that is QuiBids, we should be fine. I kinda hope he does find out about Penny Auctions, though, because I love comedy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sacks of gems are nearing a dollar :eyepop:

YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY

And here I was thinking I was smart for unloading them at 70 cents.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm still missing 20,000 of the gems i crafted when this started, and if Steam ever gives them back it will be long after the price crashes again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

For :d:750-1200, you can craft a booster for three 3 cards which might be worth $0.25-0.30 (depending on the game of course) or :d:60. So that's obviously a waste of a sack of gems that you can now apparently hive off for a dollar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And now gem sacks are down to 71 cents, the fluctuation is hilarious.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I understand wall street guys now

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Remora posted:

I understand wall street guys now

I'm just imaging Steam as the floor from 'Trading Places', drowning in curses, yelling, paper and tears.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

And now gem sacks are down to 71 cents, the fluctuation is hilarious.
poo poo, my last post is already out of date. It's bobbing around .60-.65. I could be watching this all day.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also reminder that if you're not after the AAA new hotness, you can pick up some wishlist backlog stuff EXTREMELY cheap.

There's 1300 games out there, if you go over 1 gem you probably have a shot at them if you're remotely interested. Top bid of $5.60 is still only a 1/3rd of the game's full price, though it usually dips to about $7.50

As a side note, as a Washingtonian, Gems are nice because I have to pay sales tax on Steam games I buy. Not on gem-won games.\

The real question is what price will gems be at on day *2* of the auction, after the first round (and hundreds of thousands of gems) have been obliterated by the auctions closing.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 14, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

so, i have no desire to engage in this silly gem thing, there is going to be a regular sale where i can just buy cheap games with american currency, correct?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

cams posted:

so, i have no desire to engage in this silly gem thing, there is going to be a regular sale where i can just buy cheap games with american currency, correct?

Sorry, it's all about GemCoins now.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

cams posted:

On the 18th

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So has someone made a userscript to guess at auction prices for a given value of gem sacks yet? Cause that would be nice to have Monday night.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Was this designed by the Valve Economist? Has he commented on it at all? Every time I think the Steam economy can't get any wackier something like this happens

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was this designed by the Valve Economist? Has he commented on it at all? Every time I think the Steam economy can't get any wackier something like this happens

This could only have come from a person who regards Steam users as insane chattel, dancing around 'free products' that cost the company nothing, watching with euphoric glee as they take a cut off of the top of every transaction, laughing madly as the drooling masses pay for something several times over with fake money that they control absolutely.

So in other words, yes, an economist.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Everblight posted:

There's 1300 games out there, if you go over 1 gem you probably have a shot at them if you're remotely interested. Top bid of $5.60 is still only a 1/3rd of the game's full price, though it usually dips to about $7.50
This is true, go hunt for more obscure games and I'm sure you can score something. Just stay away from top sellers and big names.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Dapper Dan posted:

This could only have come from a person who regards Steam users as insane chattel, dancing around 'free products' that cost the company nothing, watching with euphoric glee as they take a cut off of the top of every transaction, laughing madly as the drooling masses pay for something several times over with fake money that they control absolutely.

So in other words, yes, an economist.

Praise be to the holy economist

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

This is true, go hunt for more obscure games and I'm sure you can score something. Just stay away from top sellers and big names.

I can't stress enough how deeply Steam users are mis-understanding how this auction is gonna work. There's gonna be a LOT of people just blasting through their gems trying to get the game at the next auction close, when you will be able to saunter up around the 40th closing and win poo poo for >1000 gems (other than brand-new AAA titles).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Mythical Steam Economist hasn't worked for Valve for years, apparently, and he was there to analyse what the gently caress was going on with the existing market, not come up with new stupid poo poo like this.

There are probably a few free market/Eve fans who have come up with this and are probably enjoying what emerges from the chaos just as much as we are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So with gems "holding steady" at 60¢ per 1000, that makes crafting boosters out of them worthless unless the boosters sell for at least that much, and the only boosters that are seem to be brand-new Anime games, so good luck making your money that way.

Reminder that, at 60¢ per 1000, that's :d:17 per 1¢, so you need to be getting in under 5¢ per 80-:d: item (which all appear to be gone now). There are a few places that were worth it, but they're gone now, so I don't feel bad telling you guys in public - foil cards from 80-gem item games were smelting into 220 gems apiece, and I had found a passel at 13-15¢, beating the going rate. That's gone now, they're all 18¢+, so they aren't +EV.

• Locked thread