Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Malloreon posted:

This mini discussion highlights why 7 Wonders is a bad game. It CAN play 5-7, but at that point the game is more or less random. It's BEST with 3-4, but at that player count there are dozens of better/more interesting games.

It may not be the best game in the world, but it is not bad either. My point was that it is not random in a bad way with more than 3 players, for basically the same reason that Agricola is not just random with more than one player. Sure there are less things you can be certain of, like getting all the resources, but the best part of the game is mitigating that and making sure that you have options no matter what hand you are passed, while also trying to prevent the others from having good options. Just like in Agricola where you can't be certain that a certain action will be available, so you plan around the possibility of it not being an option.
In a 5 player game of 7 Wonders, you can turn the brick your right side neighbour needs into part of your wonder, while you can buy it from the left side guy. That kind of denial is impossible in a 3 player game because everyone is next to everyone. And denial is basically the core of euros really, along with engine building which is also very present in 7 Wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really enjoyed Forge War to the point of buying it but I do think it could use a 2nd edition.

Now, I agree with Lorini about it being a bunch of mechanics in a blender. And the rulebook eventually did its job but really needed some editing. But (and this is a huge BUT) the pace of play is good - I have never felt like I'm spending all my time waiting, and in fact hours in a game have never gone by so quickly or effortlessly for me as they have when playing Forge War. Well, not that I can think of right now anyway.

Also if you think fantasy is dorky well hoo nelly you're pretending to be a fantasy accountant basically here so have fun with that :haw:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Another vote in favor of Forge war, game is really good if kinda awkward.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I have the blender thoughts sometimes with Argent tbh although I still really enjoy it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The rules for the Kemet promo tiles given out at Spiel are up.

Reminiscence (White level 2)
At the end of Battle, if your opponent played any DI cards you may take one of them.

Protective Aura (Blue level 1)
Your troops cannot take damage outside Battle.

Piety (Black level 2)
At Night, gain an additional VP if you control two Temples.

Night Expedition (Red level 2)
At Night, you may move one of your Priests to the next location on the Path to Ta-Seti. You do not benefit from bonuses on the Path and may not take the Object or Skill at the new location.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

It may not be the best game in the world, but it is not bad either. My point was that it is not random in a bad way with more than 3 players, for basically the same reason that Agricola is not just random with more than one player. Sure there are less things you can be certain of, like getting all the resources, but the best part of the game is mitigating that and making sure that you have options no matter what hand you are passed, while also trying to prevent the others from having good options. Just like in Agricola where you can't be certain that a certain action will be available, so you plan around the possibility of it not being an option.
In a 5 player game of 7 Wonders, you can turn the brick your right side neighbour needs into part of your wonder, while you can buy it from the left side guy. That kind of denial is impossible in a 3 player game because everyone is next to everyone. And denial is basically the core of euros really, along with engine building which is also very present in 7 Wonders.

The other saving grace for 7 wonders is the team variant. At 6 and 8 players it's actually fantastic and far more strategic than the base game with any number. It's a shame it is tucked away in one of the expansions as an easily missed variant when the paragraph should really be titled something like "Holy poo poo, never do anything but this."

It's a weird beast. It's outdone by many games at 3-4, decent at 5 because of the reasons outlined above, great at 6, pretty mediocre at 7 and great at 8.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Jedit posted:

At the end of Battle, if your opponent played any DI cards you may take one of them.

Piety (Black level 2)

At Night, you may move one of your Priests to the next location on the Path to Ta-Seti. You do not benefit from bonuses on the Path and may not take the Object or Skill at the new location.

Black and White seem undercosted. Red seems really good, and Blue seems situational but good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also if you think fantasy is dorky well hoo nelly you're pretending to be a fantasy accountant basically here so have fun with that :haw:
I actually got into board games from RPGs, so my stereotype isn't so much "fantasy is dorky" as it is "fantasy games and rpgs tend to have poo poo-tier mechanics compared to modern board games." Two people against Lorini (whose taste, historically, is very similar to mine) is really tough, though. I'll definitely have to give it a try next time it comes up.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BonHair posted:

And denial is basically the core of euros really

I can confirm that denial is an important part of one of my favorite euros, Amun-Re

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I get you but just to be clear I used "you" in a generic way so I could mention that fantasy accountant angle.

See, a buddy of mine was telling another friend about the game but she saw swords and monster stuff and thought "eh, fantasy stuff is dorky" and he was like naw naw naw it's not really a swords and sorcery kind of game. Which I agreed with because you're not pretending to be stabbing monsters, you're pretending to be managing the people who are sent to stab monsters and uh in thinking that I just decided to say nothing.

But now's my chance. It's a game about being the accountant/boss/CEO of an Adventurer's Guild of a Kingdom Facing Many Perils.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That's one of the reasons Forge War is so cool. In Waterdeep and most games you're micromanaging a few elite agents to do stuff but in Forge War you've got quests, timelines/deadlines, actual interesting ROI analysis, and dudes that get more competent in reasonable ways as the game goes on. Your job is just to make the magic happen and send people where they've got to be with the right stuff, your guys will stab the hell out of the monsters themselves.

It's way less dramatized than it looks, which is amusing because it looks like a game about forging sweet-rear end weapons and going to war against giant fantasy monsters when it's actually about finding out how many mooks with daggers you can throw at your average Hydra before your ace-in-the-hole needs to step in and cut some heads off and what's the most profitable investment to make sure your ace's got a high-quality axe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andarel posted:

Black and White seem undercosted. Red seems really good, and Blue seems situational but good.

I would say that White is situational, Red is pretty weak outside of a Ta-Seti rush strategy that may not be viable, and Black just puts a huge target on your back.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope those Spiel promos for Kemet come out somewhere else. The Black one seems sorta fair since, in my experience, it is sort of hard to hold temples, doubly so if people know you get an additional bonus for holding two. Thus far, though, I have no idea what the hell black's "theme" is, besides going well with everything.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Cool Mysterium tip, especially with those with quarterback problems: have the investigators describe their visions instead of just laying them out. The game gets harder, but it is more thematic and everyone has a part.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Jedit posted:

Piety (Black level 2)

Blue seems good, given it's dirt cheap and there's a new black tile that deals damage. Can't say I'm that fussed about the rest of them, especially compared to the other stuff at the same levels on their pyramids.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope those Spiel promos for Kemet come out somewhere else.

You can print and paste them right now if you want. The rules sheet on BGG has the full art.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Supreme Court posted:

Blue seems good, given it's dirt cheap and there's a new black tile that deals damage. Can't say I'm that fussed about the rest of them, especially compared to the other stuff at the same levels on their pyramids.

Blue also works against Initiative, which is actually a pretty huge deal.

Jedit posted:

You can print and paste them right now if you want. The rules sheet on BGG has the full art.

My arts and crafts skills are...wanting...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Supreme Court posted:

Is there a rule or reference sheet for Ta-Seti yet? I can't figure out what some of the black tiles do by looking at the icons. Also, I think black/white/blue is going to be crazy strong.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there a rule or reference sheet for Ta-Seti yet? I can't figure out what some of the black tiles do by looking at the icons. Also, I think black/white/blue is going to be crazy strong.

There's a discussion here with all of them, but it's a pain to read through. Hopefully it's collated somewhere.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1395115/new-black-powers-are-getting-unveiled

GrandpaPants posted:

Blue also works against Initiative, which is actually a pretty huge deal.
Yeah!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fellis posted:

I can confirm that denial is an important part of one of my favorite euros, Amun-Re

I'm going to point to Vanuatu for the best denial game out there.

You get five action pawns, there's 8 action spaces (move your ship, fish where your ship is, sell fish, place a building, etc). In turn order, you place two pawns on one action or one each on two, going around. Then you do that again. Then you put your last pawn down.

Then, again in turn order, you choose one action space you have the most on, i.e., you must have more pawns than anyone else. Broken by turn order, first is better. If you have multiple spaces like that, you choose which to do, and you take all of your pawns off of that space, taking the action.

If you have no action spaces like that, you must *must* remove pawns from an action space and don't get to take an action for them.

It's all about taking your turn in the right order so that you make other people lose their move action so that their fishing action also become useless and then they hate you forever. I love it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

Cool Mysterium tip, especially with those with quarterback problems: have the investigators describe their visions instead of just laying them out. The game gets harder, but it is more thematic and everyone has a part.

This seems to go really far in the other direction. The problem, so often, is that the clue is buried in some very small detail of the vision. So if the player doesn't know to describe that detail, the other players won't be able to give any help. I would really hate to be the new guy that gets stuck losing round after round and loses the whole game when everyone else figured their clues out three rounds ago.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

McNerd posted:

This seems to go really far in the other direction. The problem, so often, is that the clue is buried in some very small detail of the vision. So if the player doesn't know to describe that detail, the other players won't be able to give any help. I would really hate to be the new guy that gets stuck losing round after round and loses the whole game when everyone else figured their clues out three rounds ago.

The new guy needs to be more detail oriented.

I've played with this variant once and I don't know if I like it better or worse than vanilla. Both times I used the 'easy' level. The 'open' game was won easily while the 'closed' method was a nail biter. The closed method was more hostile though, so it will be group dependant I guess.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, I got my copy of Between Two Cities :)

But it was in French and not the special edition :(

But Jamey responded to my email within about 2 minutes arranging the delivery of the Special edition I should have gotten. :D

Stonemaier Games rule.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For people who've played Pandemic: Legacy, is it something where you want to stick with the same four players the whole way through period, or does letting some folks switch in and out still work okay? I remember that with Risk: Legacy that not having a steady playground meant certain unlocks got pushed back and it generally wasn't quite as fun, but I have more than three other people interested in giving Pandemic a spin and I'm not going to shell out $75 for a second copy having not played so much as a single game yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

For people who've played Pandemic: Legacy, is it something where you want to stick with the same four players the whole way through period, or does letting some folks switch in and out still work okay? I remember that with Risk: Legacy that not having a steady playground meant certain unlocks got pushed back and it generally wasn't quite as fun, but I have more than three other people interested in giving Pandemic a spin and I'm not going to shell out $75 for a second copy having not played so much as a single game yet.

Have one of those other more-than-three people buy it, problem solved!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just for reference regarding Forge War, I played Waterdeep all of one time and said never again, so I'm coming from a different perspective.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it would be terrible but if you're not rotating people in regularly, people who have had less experience of the new rules developing might be at risk of getting quarterbacked by people who've played more.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

Just for reference regarding Forge War, I played Waterdeep all of one time and said never again, so I'm coming from a different perspective.

Sorry to bug you, but what are your thoughts on Burano after playing it. Trying to decide whether I should keep my CSI preorder or cancel it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

burger time posted:

Sorry to bug you, but what are your thoughts on Burano after playing it. Trying to decide whether I should keep my CSI preorder or cancel it.

It's OK except I haven't played it yet. Food Chain Magnate showed up yesterday and we got in a short intro where we screwed up several important rules :). I will have Burano played by the end of the week. It's not shipping this week is it? If not, then just leave the pre-order and I'll get back to everyone as soon as I've played it.

Food Chain Magnate should be really really good once we play with the right rules :). I'll report on that as well.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Lorini posted:

Food Chain Magnate should be really really good once we play with the right rules :). I'll report on that as well.

I look forward to it! I have a lot of faith in Splotter, but so far I am underwhelmed by the art style and my impression so far from reading the rules.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Trip report for Tuesday board game night, I finally got to play Pandemic: Legacy with the three people I'd sort of tagged as my go-to group for it. Reactions all around were very enthusiastic. This trip report will contain some :siren:SPOILERS HOLY gently caress:siren:, not jokey stuff so if you don't wanna be spoiled don't read it. If you don't give a poo poo then read on.

The game wastes very little time giving people who haven't ever played a Legacy game before a taste of things to come. The very first game you play, once the Infection counter goes up two notches then bam, whichever disease has the most cubes on the board is now designated as incurable. On the one hand, this actually makes the game slightly easier to win (slightly) because now all you need to do is cure the remaining three and problem solved, game won. On the other hand the incurable disease continues to accumulate and trigger outbreaks, oh and now treating it costs two actions per cube instead of one so have fun with that one. It's definitely calculated as a way to inform even veteran Pandemic players that they shouldn't get too comfortable with things.

We lost our first game by the skin of our teeth, with just one more turn to go before our Scientist player could cure the final disease we went overboard on outbreaks. Agreeing that we needed a second shot, we went into January round two with two extra points worth of funding which made the difference as we were able to use Borrowed Time to defuse a nasty cluster of blue disease spots that could easily have chain-outbreaked us into oblivion. Fortunately we also didn't see as many yellow cards come up infection-wise and we were able to quickly cure and later eradicate both the blue and red diseases before winning with a comfortable margin. We're going to aim for two plays per game night, enough time to either get through a single month with losses or potentially two months if we have our poo poo together...but of course our funding has gone back down to 4. Two cities thus far are rioting and a number of others are on the verge, but otherwise we seem to have acquitted ourselves well and nobody picked up a scar, so we'll see what February has in store.

As always, the Legacy elements are absolutely one of the game's big draws. Everyone else was in shock when they watched as I opened the Top Secret folder and revealed all the various openable gates full of crazy new poo poo that awaits us. It's kind of early to declare that my $75 was undeniably well spent, but if I can get the recommended 12-24 plays out of this and it's as engaging as these first two games were I think it'll definitely have been worth the money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat, where did you pay $75 for it?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, where did you pay $75 for it?

Oh whoops, you're right, it was $70. Well hey, even better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Some guy in another forum is saying that once you do December in Pandemic:Legacy, you might as well toss the game into the garbage bin. Without going into spoiler territory, is this correct?

The Spanish edition is coming soon and I want it :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Oh whoops, you're right, it was $70. Well hey, even better.

Good grief, it's $48 on CSI.

Oh, looks like MSRP is $69.99

Is there a difference between the "Blue" version and the "Red" version?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Blood Rage report 2.0: Game still good. Everyone hosed up their draft, got into a bunch of opportunistic punchfights, player who managed to get an advantage early game figured out how to leverage that advantage into quests and we managed to end the round early enough for the Odin's Throne player to not grab a 40VP power play. Have played 4p and 5p work pretty well.

I picked a slower, upgrade-heavy strategy that worked okay but was too slow for my tastes. Might be good in lower-player count games? Need to test more.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

Other than box art, nope.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
:argh:
^^^^^^

COOL CORN posted:

Oh, I know this one.

No. I assume it's easier to separate them if you're running it with 2 groups.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

You'd think they would have just given you another bunch of stickers to put on the box cover and sides so you can write your group's name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fat Samurai posted:

Some guy in another forum is saying that once you do December in Pandemic:Legacy, you might as well toss the game into the garbage bin. Without going into spoiler territory, is this correct?

The Spanish edition is coming soon and I want it :ohdear:

I think they might mean that the board and cards have been altered so you can't replay with the same game as it is no longer fresh and untouched. You could probably not damage the board or components and make it re-playable. Or worse comes to worse realize that you played an amazing game lasting dozens of hours and at least you get some sweet new cubes to pimp out your other games for $50.