Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's me playing the Steam Version of DX. Here have another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLopxWCcM2k

I would do Lost World also but wacky glitch at the end of the level isn't working for me on steam port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

I would do Lost World also but wacky glitch at the end of the level isn't working for me on steam port.

This level (what we see of it) looks better but man it shows how long it has been since I played this game because I was a little shocked by the graphics. I remembered them looking so different.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
A Sonic game without a mocking ranking system? I'm convinced to go and download the demo now! Haven't heard it mentioned in the videos yet but I see this game gives you a reason to defeat enemies as opposed to stuff like '06 where running by them was the sensible thing to do. Getting only 1 flicky per trashed mech may not seem like much but it's something that will add up over time and ease the "grind". Also that dessert level was severely lacking in the M&Ms department. :colbert:

MassRafTer posted:

Running, Jumping, Double Jumping, Spin Dash, Homing Attack, Homing Kick, Downward Bounce Attack, Wall Running, Edge Clinging, Ducking, Wall Jumping, Vaulting and several abilities that can be chained together. On top of this he can also use wisp powers on top of some other power ups you can collect in various ways. Some aren't even explained in the manual.
Just how many skills has Sonic had over the years? Just by this games list alone it's starting to look like to many, especially when you consider Bounce and Stomp largely serve the same purpose and are swapped out every other game. I will say that the Homing Kick appears to be a good addition so far, and the multiple levels of homing attack seem like they could add nice risk/reward factors to boss fights.

TwoPair posted:

A lot of the badniks here are recycled from old games.
I don't hold any nostalagia for the old games but I'm definitely okay with this. After years of rehashing GUN style-bots and the trash Heroes bots, these badniks look and act a lot more varied!

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Kurieg posted:

They re-released SA and SA2 on 360, PS3, and PC a few years back. They're also super cheap( 4 and 5 bucks respectively) on PC right now because steam sale.

Yeah, I knew they've been on a bunch of different recent systems, just didn't know which one was blowing my mind here. I played through SA2 on the 360 a while ago, but I guess either it didn't have the same kind of within-level loading pauses (without a load screen) to be eliminated, or there were and I just don't know to expect them. Man, I loved SA1. :shobon:

HulkaMatt posted:

Seeee-gaaaaa :allears:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Not a single person pointed out that Zik is a Fruit Ninja? :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Let's finish up the Tropical Coast! We've got the circus, fruit and a mystery level! Also if you are worried something won't be shown off don't worry there are bonus videos!

Part 4 (Fruit Ninja): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaoaNBJzEE

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This looks like exactly what I would want from a modern Sonic game and I'm surprised I've never heard of it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sea Bottom Segue is the best music track in the game.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

MassRafTer posted:

Let's finish up the Tropical Coast! We've got the circus, fruit and a mystery level! Also if you are worried something won't be shown off don't worry there are bonus videos!

I'm still right and I'm not going to stop saying I'm right. For starters, breakout doesn't even have gravity. Or a trampoline. Or cannons.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Okay I know you guys probably got used to doing it differently from Sonic 2006 and other games, but please. I'm actually interested in paying attention to the cutscenes in this one, especially after 'that's three words!'. Could you kindly not talk over them?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MassRafTer posted:

So do you ever work out that red rails make you go slower and green rails make you go faster and that's why you kept hitting the fan at the start? :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Neruz posted:

So do you ever work out that red rails make you go slower and green rails make you go faster and that's why you kept hitting the fan at the start? :v:

That's one of those things I notice while I'm editing the video and hope will go quietly unmentioned but never do.

Valgaav posted:

Okay I know you guys probably got used to doing it differently from Sonic 2006 and other games, but please. I'm actually interested in paying attention to the cutscenes in this one, especially after 'that's three words!'. Could you kindly not talk over them?

We'll try. We have World 4 recorded and I try keep it to a minimum but it probably still happens a lot.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This game looks like a collection of the levels from Sonic Colors I didn't enjoy playing, in a sense. And it looks like the camera is pretty wonky, though you seem to keep it under control most of the time. I don't think I could tolerate too many levels where the camera spins around like that, either.

That said, it definitely isn't Sonic 2006, but I can very easily see how someone would despise this game as you play it.

Edit: Do the 2-d sections control better than Sonic Colors? The physics look about the same.

Edit 2: It doesn't look like BAD game, just not my cup of tea at all.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 24, 2014

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
So how did you unlock that extra stage in Tropical Coast at the end? Or does it just appear automatically? (A stage name like "Zone ?" suggests something had to be done, or maybe I was just oblivious and missed it.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My request is that you let the bosses at least show what they can do. As crushing them before they do anything is not as fun to watch. I know one boss can be one shotted with one fully charged homing attack so I would request you not do that to him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's some pretty drat good music level visuals. Why did this game get its bad rep again? Because I'm honestly finding the story and dialogue less awkward than the Adventure/2006 style.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Personally, I can see where some people are coming from (without having played this myself, mind you.) Sonic has always been about super simple gameplay with a certain degree of flashiness due to the speedy bits and the physics, and just enough depth to keep the game interesting. It's pretty telling how in the original 2D games, every button of the controller makes Sonic jump. Then the spin dash was added while making sure the entire game was still beatable without it. The 3D games then added the homing attack which was pretty much a necessity for making the game work in 3D. Still, this is a very manageable amount of moves to learn.

This one, on the other hand seems to kinda go overboard with new moves which all seem to be integral survival, and I could kinda see how someone could feel this is kinda too much for a Sonic game. Somehow I wonder if this game started out as something else and got a Sonic makeover later on in the development process.

But then again, this is coming from someone who pretty much never uses the spin jump in the 2D Mario games that have it, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Digital Jello posted:

So how did you unlock that extra stage in Tropical Coast at the end? Or does it just appear automatically? (A stage name like "Zone ?" suggests something had to be done, or maybe I was just oblivious and missed it.)

IIRC, its when you have enough red rings and have completed the 'regular' stuff, but I'm not certain.

anilEhilated posted:

That's some pretty drat good music level visuals. Why did this game get its bad rep again? Because I'm honestly finding the story and dialogue less awkward than the Adventure/2006 style.

When you don't know what you're doing - and the game isn't the best at teaching its mechanics - it can get very frustrating from a gameplay perspective. Much of the really egregious stuff though, both story and gameplay wise, is from later on in the game, including odd tonal shifts, and a boss fight that has a design feature that only makes sense if you're the designer behind it and thus already know how it works. Add in a very deliberate shift in aesthetic and gameplay after Unleashed through to Generations, and a lot of people were put off. For the 3D sections its not as fast or massive (though still fairly big, and certainly more open in terms of the space it has), and the 2D sections don't flow as well due to the particular physics involved with the curved space, or otherwise simply being rather plain in presentation. Personally, I feel it is by no means a bad game, but it was a bit of a letdown in various respects, which for others - particularly with the relative to last title attitude that often pervades video games - meant it couldn't stand up against the weight of expectations put on it as the first game after the rather successful anniversary title.

But hey, at least its a better than Sonic Boom.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Honestly I prefer Sonic Boom over Lost World, Lost World has better standard gameplay but the story and characters are just atrocious and every time any of the Zeti except the leader is on screen I just want to punch them and everyone involved in making them. Sonic Boom's gameplay is bland as gently caress but is at least inoffensive and not incredibly confusing and levels actually transition properly instead of all this random teleporting with invisible bounce pads that don't exist until you step on them that Lost World keeps doing. There are also some funny moments in the dialogue, unlike Lost World which may have some funny moments but they have all been bleached away in a desperate attempt to forget the Zeti.

I'll admit the one part of Boom I could live without is the constant running narrative each character gives. Yes Sonic I know you're jumping on a bounce pad because I just told you to shut up.

If Lost World didn't have the Zeti and was just Robotnik doing his thing it would be a significantly better game imo. I'm pretty sure the Zeti are only in the game so that they can have Robotnik 'help' Sonic for a bit before the inevitable betrayal.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 24, 2014

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

"Man up, Tails!" is seriously up there with "Get a load of this!" for great Eggman lines.

I feel like modern Sonic games are only as good as the amount of Robotnik in them these days. Generations, of course, being the best for having an entire scene of Eggman bickering with another Eggman.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

The only thing I could bash the Zetis for is that despite their cartoony look, they don't really look like they'd belong in the Sonic universe. But that's it; I love their horrible stereotyped personalities and while I still have yet to play this, the boss fights look pretty fun. If anything, the only Zeti that really irks me so far is the red leader (did we determine his name was Zavoc or something?); he has no comical characteristic about him whatsoever and is explicitly there for being the Big Bad (...so far.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Digital Jello posted:

The only thing I could bash the Zetis for is that despite their cartoony look, they don't really look like they'd belong in the Sonic universe. But that's it; I love their horrible stereotyped personalities and while I still have yet to play this, the boss fights look pretty fun. If anything, the only Zeti that really irks me so far is the red leader (did we determine his name was Zavoc or something?); he has no comical characteristic about him whatsoever and is explicitly there for being the Big Bad (...so far.)

Zavok. His gimmick is that he is the serious leader and looks cool.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Digital Jello posted:

I think that if the Zeti weren't cartoony aliens and were instead other anthropomorphic animals like Sonic and his posse it'd be better. Or maybe have them be Eggman relatives like the Koopalings are, or special Eggman robots. The Zeti designs for the game just sort of scream :effort:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Merry Christmas Eve everyone. Here is a snowy level to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkFwceIOOo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The recycled enemies are mostly from Sonic 2. Maybe Scratch will get another cameo.
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_enemies

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

Merry Christmas Eve everyone. Here is a snowy level to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkFwceIOOo

Jesus Hulkamatt how much time have you put into honing your mad Sonic Adventure 1 skillz?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Last I remember, Hulkamatt used to have a world record on a couple levels.

So, a lot of time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Soop posted:

I think that if the Zeti weren't cartoony aliens and were instead other anthropomorphic animals like Sonic and his posse it'd be better. Or maybe have them be Eggman relatives like the Koopalings are, or special Eggman robots. The Zeti designs for the game just sort of scream :effort:

Their look appears to have been based on Oni. In japan they are literally called the Six Oni.

So they are not cartoony aliens, they are cartoony demons.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

tlarn posted:

Last I remember, Hulkamatt used to have a world record on a couple levels.

So, a lot of time.

Never have had a WR. Not that good. More I knew that you can do wacky things to get to certain areas when I was younger - and when the 360 port came out I realized there are plenty of youtube videos showing off insane stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I added Hulkamatt being rude to Sonic Adventure to the OP and put together a quick video showing the red star ring we missed and Sonic going SPLAT in the Desert Ruins.

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_iO7LCMM4&feature=youtu.be

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ice physics! Let's meet a Deadlier Six, play with a giant snowball and skate! I tried to boost the sound of the cutscenes to make them easier to hear. We talked a bit less during them too (this was recorded before the request.)

Part 5 (My Spirit Zeti): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9pXyu1gns

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That villain exchange was glorious. Especially Eggman.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only good part of the rebellious Tails cutscene was Eggman, as per usual. Why the hell is Tails suddenly annoyed? He didn't show that ever before. Working with Eggman isn't a plot that started this cutscene, why is he suddenly jealous of Sonic needing Eggman's help? This is such a cheap attempt at drama. It really, really bites.

Talking about Eggman lines, "I'll get fat from eating your black hearts" is a far more badass line than I expected in this game. In fact, that entire cutscene had Eggman being a gigantic badass. Holy poo poo Eggman, you're way too cool. Pun entirely intended.

I'm surprised Sonic managed to do a victory dance as a snowball.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The only good part of the rebellious Tails cutscene was Eggman, as per usual. Why the hell is Tails suddenly annoyed? He didn't show that ever before. Working with Eggman isn't a plot that started this cutscene, why is he suddenly jealous of Sonic needing Eggman's help? This is such a cheap attempt at drama. It really, really bites.

Talking about Eggman lines, "I'll get fat from eating your black hearts" is a far more badass line than I expected in this game. In fact, that entire cutscene had Eggman being a gigantic badass. Holy poo poo Eggman, you're way too cool. Pun entirely intended.

I'm surprised Sonic managed to do a victory dance as a snowball.

He started getting a little jealous in World 3. It's silly but it's not terribly done.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nihilarian posted:

That villain exchange was glorious. Especially Eggman.

Eggman is the major redeeming character of this game; Sonic and friends are pretty standard and the Deadly Six are offensive at best but good ole Eggman keeps on keeping on.

In fact now that I think about it Eggman is consistently the best character in almost every Sonic game where he shows up.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Holy poo poo, Eggman.

Also, re: Circuises, that sounds like bonus video material to me.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know I'm starting to feel like Robotnik is less the 'villain' of the world, and more like Sonic & Friends' babysitter. He builds some robots for them to destroy, makes a level they can run though, and in general keeps these super-powerful half-animal things out of trouble. Since we've clearly seen that when left on his own, Sonic can gently caress things up really fast. Then when something happens to make him get serious, he turns into some kind of monster.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 27, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How could people dislike this game? It's amazing, technically impressive and has a lot of gameplay mechanics and options which makes for a replayable Sonic game.

It's also the first Sonic game since Adventure2 where there is actual character development and this game does it right.

Eggman has always been the best thing about Sonic games, especially the Sonic Boom show.

This and Generations are two of my favorite Sonic games in the past decade.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here is the ring I didn't get (although I got it a couple times) and those underwater areas people wanted!

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVGCOedF5Ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

That latest boss fight with the green chick seems a bit of a dud compared to the rest so far. What does she actually do to try and hurt Sonic?

(On a side note, I'm really enjoying the LP. This game looks like it'd be a ton of fun for me)

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 28, 2014

• Locked thread